• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I apparently did not play a lot of new games last year - hopefully that won't be the case next year.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
The best version of one of my favorite games of all time. The scope, the story, the characters, the music, the gameplay, and everything I loved about the original is back, but it doesn't stop there. Monoliftsoft went and cleaned up the Wii graphics, added some QoL improvements (such as unpairing cosmetics with armor), threw in some track remixes that you can have on or off, and then added a whole new epilogue with the original voice cast. Traveling on Bionis has never been better, and with the Wii version's lack of US accessibility, everyone can enjoy it. This is truly the definitive version of Xenoblade 1, and speaks to the bright future of one of Nintendo's newer franchises.

2. Hades
I kept hearing how great this game was, and as a sucker for mythology, I went ahead and took the bite. And damn, what an amazing mouthful it was. The gameplay is tight, the art inspired, the voice acting some of the most charming I've ever seen, and the characters themselves were a delight. I never would have imagined that hanging out with the Chthonic crew would be enjoyable, but with Dusa's sweetness, Hypnos' goofiness, Nyx's supportiveness, and Achilles' tenderness, there was a whole lot to appreciate. The Olympians were fresh and yet just how you would expect them to be. The marriage of the story with the gameplay was particularly brilliant, even if it seems so obvious and perfect. They constantly feed one another, and get you itching to do yet another run. What an accomplishment.

3. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
A bizarre love child of the original Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild, this hews much closer to a typical action game than a Musou game. But it still works. Just... not in the way I initially expected it to. The Breath of the Wild mechanics definitely overtake the Musou ones, with a larger focus on one on one fights than managing an entire battlefield. Those mechanics themselves work wonderfully, and the inspiration to take runes and make them parries and using the rods to open up weak points is nothing short of genius. The map system weaves everything together in a surprisingly cohesive way, without feeling cluttered. The game itself allows for some fun moments, such as when I noticed that Ganon was standing in the middle of a large pond, subtlely inviting me to use my Lighting Rod on the pond and electrocute him multiple times on the spot. It's borrowing ideas from BotW like this that really makes this game work and feel unique. The variety of characters is impressive, and they all manage to feel unique and worth playing. A lot of love went into this game, and it shows.

4. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
Two classic Mario games, and one pretty good one, at $20 a pop. You could do a lot worse. Mario 64 still feels great to play all of these years later, and the couple of QoL improvements to Sunshine help elevate it somewhat. Galaxy is of course a masterpiece. The lack of extras really hurts, but it's still Mario at the end of the day, and that's top tier gaming.

5. Just Dance 2021
2020 was a mess of a year that didn't allow for a lot of outside interaction, so Just Dance has been an important outlet for my gf and I while we've been cooped up. With so many songs, options, and online play, this is a great sequel in the franchise. They keep getting better and better.

6. The Wonderful 101 Remastered
Wonderful 101 is a great game, but this is a very barebones remaster. It's going to either click or not, and this remaster does not go out of its way to be more inviting. It's "wonderful," but it was so on the Wii U, too.

1. [Switch] [Action RPG] [MonolithSoft] Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  2. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  3. [Switch] [Hack and slash] [Omega Force] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  4. [Switch] [Platformer] [Nintendo] Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  5. [Switch] [Rhythm] [Ubisoft] Just Dance 2021
  6. [Switch] [Action Adventure] [PlatinumGames] The Wonderful 101: Remastered

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This was a very light year for new games for me. I played several other games that released this year, but they were either rereleases/remakes, or I didn't play enough of them to consider them for my list.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim was an excellent science fiction story. There was basically a wild twist in the story every 30 minutes, and they somehow made that work. I also really ended up enjoying the combat missions as well.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is an excellent little Animal Crossing game. Ultimately it is still missing some great features from previous games, but the new additions like terraforming and outdoor furniture make up for those deficiencies.

Paradise Killer is an amazing little detective game, and I hope to see more games like it in the future.

Bugsnax

Nexomon Extinction I picked up at the end of the year and it's better than I expected. It's a cute little Pokemon style game with a few little tweaks on the formula that make it feel slightly different. The biggest difference is in the story and world, which weird and so far has been going to some interesting places.
  1. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  2. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  3. [Switch] [Adventure] [Kaizen Game Works] Paradise Killer
  4. [PS4] [Adventure] [Young Horses] Bugsnax
  5. [Switch] [RPG] [VEWO Interactive] Nexomon Extinction

Last edited:

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
FFVIIR is pretty much everything I want out of a game: fun and varied gameplay, exceptional music, fun characters, and an exciting presentation. I'll continue to shill this game until the day I die.

KH: MoM is so weird, but I love KH's music and the gameplay is good enough to make it an awesome experience.

Fall Guys comes in at number 3, since it's a game I've envisioned for so long. It hit all the right notes for me.

Spelunky 2 is just pure gaming! A classic, fun, feel good game.

Hades is just a well made game, plus I love rogue likes!

Mega Man Zero/ZX are some of my favorite games of all time, so of course they'll get a nod too!

1. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  2. [Switch] [Rhythm] [Square Enix] Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory
  3. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  4. [PC] [Platformer] [Mossmouth] Spelunky 2
  5. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  6. [Switch] [Action] [Capcom] Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Alyx might not be the sequel we wanted out of the Half-Life universe, but damn if it wasn't a great game. I really loved it. The interactions are awesome, the suspense is out of this world, and having played it on an Index, it was a match made in heaven.
  2. I never finished the game on the PS2, so when it became available on the PC, I jumped right into Persona 4, and this time I really completed it! Loved most of the characters and the mix of battle and vn was really well made.
  3. Paradise Killer is the indie of the year for me. Take lovecraftian horrors, vaporwave aesthetics, and awesome music and you get Paradise Killer.
  4. I have been really really hyped for MSF ever since they announced it, and I even got a HOTAS. Flying all over the world is cathartic, more so when the world went to shit.
  5. AC was never a series I had played before, but then shit hit the fan and I got suckered into the joy that is the game. Really loved it for a while, but in the end it felt a bit like a chore.
  6. I had played hades before, back when it was an early access game, but I never really got into it until 1.0 released. As a fan of roguelikes, the game is awesome, and the music is awesomer.
  7. CP2077 is a strange beast. I was really hyped for it, and little by little my expectations were lowered until I played it. I wasn't blown away by anything really, but it was still a decent experience that could have been much more.
  8. I never was a huge player of paper mario games, I was more of a M&L player, and this is the first one I really played. The combat can get a bit stale, but the characters and the humor are great.
  9. Fenyx Rising was a huge surprise for me. I bought it for half-off on the Epic Store, but wasn't really interested in it. And then I played it. I really liked the combat, but the map was too much for me.
  10. Legion wasn't a bad game, but I wouldn't call it a great one either. Still, I really liked my characters in the end, and that's saying something considering they were random ones.

1. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  2. [PC] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 4 Golden
  3. [PC] [Adventure] [Kaizen Game Works] Paradise Killer
  4. [PC] [Flight simulator] [Asobo Studio] Microsoft Flight Simulator
  5. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  6. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  7. [PC] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  8. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  9. [PC] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Immortals Fenyx Rising
  10. [PC] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Watch Dogs: Legion

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
1. Wasteland 3 - I'm not a big CRPG guy. Other than Disco Elysium last year, Wasteland 3 is actually the first isometric CRPG that I've played all the way through to completion, and it's on par, if not better than my favorite RPG's this generation. Everything from the character customization, to the story, to the world building, to the great turn based combat system, with upgradable weapons, which are already cool weapons to begin with, to the sense of exploration, the soundtrack, the visuals is all top notch. Most of all what I love about Wasteland 3 is the player agency. Everything you do in Wasteland 3 (other than 4 main quests), is almost entirely up to you. My only complaints are 1) It was a gltich-fest at launch. 2) I wish it were a little bit longer.

2. The Last of Us Part II - I found Ellie and Abby's journey to be heart wrenching, intense and visceral. One of the most impactful stories I've experienced in quite some time.

3. Hades - One of the greatest rogue-likes of all time. Beautiful presentation, story telling, and a banging soundtrack, only enhance what is one of the most fun to play games of 2020.

4. Ori & The Will of the Wisps - The best 2D platformer I've played since Celeste, and the story hits every bit as hard as well. So much fun to play especially once you have the majority of the traversal upgrades.

5. Spiritfarer - Gorgeous art style. Fun platforming. One of the more impactful moments of the year dropping my first passenger off to their final destination. The game is a little long in the tooth, and could probably use with some better sign posting, but the moment to moment gameplay makes up for some of the overall design direction that I have issues with.

6. Immortals Fenyx Rising - I'm nowhere near being done with the game, but I really actually enjoy the puzzles, which I usually do not in these types of games, and the combat is pretty good.

7. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout - I'm not a big battle royale guy, (or multiplayer shooter guy in general), so getting to experience the thrill of winning a Battle Royale for once in my life was pretty exhilarating. I decided to go out on top, and I've never actually gone back to Fall Guys since winning my first crown, but I did have fun despite the controls and some of the team based objectives being less than fun.

8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - It's not as good as the Gamecube AC, imho, but it was a good distraction for a couple weeks in March.

1. [XBO] [RPG] [InXile Entertainment] Wasteland 3
  2. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  3. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  4. [XBO] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  5. [XBO] [Adventure] [Thunderlotus] Spiritfarer
  6. [XSX] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Immortals Fenyx Rising
  7. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  8. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
1. The Last of Us Part II - TLOU was my game of the generation years ago, and to somehow see Naughty Dog return to a game that already felt complete and expand on the characters in a way that was interesting, all while bringing to the table new additions that made me question the motives of those that we had spent much more time with made it all the more compelling and engrossing. Abby is the best.

2. Final Fantasy VII Remake - FF7 was not the seminal game for me that it was for so many others, but after playing through it and Crisis Core for the first time before playing through Remake, those experiences help bolster portions of a game that might have been hindered otherwise. With that being said, Remake is still the most fun I had with a game last year. The characterization of some of the most well-known characters in gaming was pulled off extremely well. I also think the structure isn't nearly as bad as many people say, as the [Story] --> [Mini-open world with sidquests] ---> [Story] ---> [Sidequests] worked really well, even if some of those sidequests weren't as interesting as they could have been. The music is also exceptional, and the sheer amount of it is staggering.

3. Kingdom Hearts III Re Mind - This is a weird one, because the story itself in Re:Mind proper is far from my favorite content that the series has offered. However, the Limit Cut episode has me super excited for the next KH installments. The ending is absolutely WILD, and the data origination fights made me realize that KH3, in the state that it is now, has probably my favorite combat in any game. Playing through these fights on critical makes the experience so fulfilling that I just want to play it all the time.

4. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - Though it drags on a bit too long, 13 Sentinels is really special. The way its narrative weaves is really fun, and seeing threads come together that you're aware of because you saw something happen earlier is always enjoyable. Some of the best characters of the year as well, and the music is incredible throughout. Miura's early chapters is some of the best content of the year.

5. Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory - Like Re:Mind, the story is not what I'm here for first and foremost. KH music is some of my favorite in all of video games, so to finally get a rhythm game that features it was a dream, and thankfully it's a ton of fun.

6. Astro's Playroom - Never would have thought this was going to be as high as it is, but Astro's Playroom is just a really fun time. Seeing all the little Sony easter eggs, coupled with the tight platforming and charming Astro; it made for a really enjoyable playthrough and a game that begs you to platinum it. The DualSense implementation is just really cool too: I'm namely thinking of my first time shooting the gattling gun and the triggers for the rocket ship.

7. Demon's Souls - This feels like it should be higher than it is, especially since it's my first time playing through it. The bosses themselves are just a bit disappointing; but then I remember some of the "simpler" ones like Maiden Astraea, which are incredibly straightforward, yet does more in its storytelling, and making you want to learn more about its story, than most other boss fights in games.

8. Nioh 2 - More Nioh and that's a good thing for me. Still some of the best combat in gaming, though I found Nioh 2 a little too easy in comparison to the first entry. Really enjoyed the character customization options, and although the story was not great, everything else surrounding it made me invested in the overall package.

9. Resident Evil 3 Remake - History repeating itself as people are disappointed in the sequel to RE2, yet this time there feels as if there's more merit to those claims. Definitely fulfills the action film fantasy that RE3 was always about. Jill and Carlos are about as perfect as you can get here, and I'd take either of them over RE2's Leon and Claire. On their own they're great, but together they're even better.

10. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - It felt good to go swinging again. Sadly the story didn't hit as hard as the original game, but there's just something special that Insomniac is able to tap into when playing these games. Has some really standout set pieces, and the music fits really well.

1. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  2. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Kingdom Hearts III Re Mind
  4. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  5. [PS4] [Rhythm] [Square Enix] Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory
  6. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  7. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  8. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Team Ninja] Nioh 2
  9. [PC] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  10. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate

I really like the story mode in MK11, and MK Aftermath expanded on that with some of my favorite chapters starring the villains who completely stole the scene. Also, they are fun to play as, and the new mechanics like Friendships, Stage Fatalities and Special skins being available on the Towers of Time make this expansion of a 2019 game my 2020 game of the year!!

Fall guys: Ultimate Knockout

The game is just fun. Running around trying to outpace people in crazy arenas is something that I never knew I wanted until I tried it.

Resident Evil 3 Remake

The game looks amazing, the characters redesigns were top notch and has very memorable set pieces and boss battles. Unfortunately the game was a bit short and some of my favorite scenarios from the original were cut off, but still a great game!!

Story of seasons FoMT

A very faithful remake to a GBA classic, makes farming simple and easy, for those times when I wanted to relax. I'm not too fond of the character redesigns though, as they became kind of too childish/young looking, but the gameplay and music were as good as I remembered.

Immortals Fenyx Rising

I still haven't finished the game, but it deserves a spot among 2020's top choices. I really like that it's a bit more focused than BoTW.

Paper Mario: The Origami King

The game is very charming and the paper aesthetic is incredible. I just wish battles went a little faster as they are not my favorite part of the game.

1. [Switch] [Fighting] [NetherRealm Studios] Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
  2. [PC] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  3. [PC] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  4. [Switch] [Simulation] [Marvelous Interactive] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town
  5. [Switch] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Immortals Fenyx Rising
  6. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
1. Hades - Simply one of the best games ever made
2. Ori & The Will of the Wisps - This video game feels like it was custom made for me and it's pretty much perfect in every way
3. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Phenomenal combat, amazing moments, just beautiful
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - The best game for the worst year
5. Spiritfarer - Relaxing and cosy, plus some of the best animation I've ever seen in a game
6. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Swinging = good
7. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - A wild twisting story with some good fun tactics
8. Ghost of Tsushima - I liked this enough to do the platinum, its good
9. Streets of Rage 4 - I hate beat-em ups but I loved playing this game. That's worth a lot.
10. Haven - One of the best written relationships in a game and some sweet drifting

1. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  2. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  3. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  4. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  5. [PC] [Adventure] [Thunderlotus] Spiritfarer
  6. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  7. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  8. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  9. [PC] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  10. [PC] [Adventure] [The Game Bakers] Haven

Oct 25, 2017
1. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

It's an adventure game, not a visual novel

2. Astro's Playroom

Most relevant the Vita has been since The Last of Us Part II

3. Final Fantasy VII Remake

High-rez doors and buster swords

4. Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory

As if I hadn't heard Simple and Clean enough times in my life already.

1. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  2. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  4. [PS4] [Rhythm] [Square Enix] Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
  1. Ghost of Tsushima: One of the most soothing, beautiful video game experiences I've ever had. The motion, the style, the substance. An absolute knockout from Sucker Punch.2
  2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: The madmen did it. They actually made these games feel exactly like they did when I first played them 20 years ago. And the soundtrack? PERFECT.
  3. Final Fantasy VII Remake: A cinematic feat of RPG game design, to be honest. I understand this entry had a lot of weight for longtime fans, but for what it was, it was a ride. Can't wait for what's next.
  4. Spider-Man: Miles Morales: The next chapter in my 2018 GOTY, Miles Morales does A LOT right, but its shorter runtime makes me just want more. Hopefully we get plenty of Miles in Spider-Man 2.
  5. Astro's Playroom: A virtual love letter to all things PlayStation. I'd play ten of these.
  6. Hades: While I still haven't beaten it yet, I have a lot of love for Hades because of the passion of the folks at Supergiant Games. Also, go play Pyre.
  7. FUSER: Call it a tech showcase/demo, call it a rhythm game. It's a feat of music engineering and it lets me use the lyrics of "All Star" with any song.
  8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons: The perfect game for the time and place of quarantine.
  9. Demon's Souls: Might just be the best looking game I've ever played, even if the Souls multiplayer system still leaves a lot to be desired.
  10. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout: One of the biggest rushes I've felt in the last year was grabbing a crown in the final round. That's impact right there.

1. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  2. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  4. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  5. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  6. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  7. [PS4] [Rhythm] [Harmonix] Fuser
  9. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  10. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

jepense

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Hades: The best game on my list by a wide margin. I don't particularly like roguelikes, but Hades is not really one. Once you get to know the game, each run becomes a bite sized rpg where you get to build a character from scratch and enjoy your divine powers - all in an hour. It's extremely satisfying, and the vast amount of options makes you want to do it again and again.

Bloodstained: More classic Castlevania.

Paper Mario: Great humor, visuals and puzzles. The best Paper Mario.

Outer Wilds: A bit LTTP here, but great open ended exploration.

Ori: Ori 1 was gorgeus but I found some gameplay aspects to be not that enjoyable. Ori 2 improves a lot of these.

Pikmin 3: One of my all-time favorites.

Xenoblade: It's always Reyn time.

Animal Crossing: A great game to balance this year in particular.

Streets of Rage 4: Great revival of a classic.

2. [Switch] [Platformer] [Inti Creates] Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2
  3. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  4. Outer Wilds
  5. [Switch] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  6. [Switch] [RTS] [8ing] Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  7. [Switch] [Action RPG] [MonolithSoft] Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  9. [Switch] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
1. Yakuza: Like a Dragon was a fun wild ride. Modern day RPGs are always more interesting but difficult than fantasy settings, and the team pulled it off wonderfully. Change to turn-based combat was neat though not perfect, but does help with the Yakuza fatigue in recent years.

2. Flight simulator is a grand tech achievement. I love flying around in heavily assisted mode and looking at places I've traveled through, and I love watching more serious players flip all the switches.

3. Crusader Kings III hides intricate machinery behind a smooth interface. Lost hours every night to this for a long time. The amount of stories generated are countless and limitless.

4. Will of the Wisps is even more beautiful than the original. Bigger, flashier, even more options, but it was a bit too hard for me to finish.

5. I loved every Supergiant game, and admittedly was a bit disappointed that they went back to the more traditional (compared to their last 2 games) genre. However the writing blows any other roguelike out of the water. A wonderful achievement.

6. Is it better than XCOM2? Probably not, but Gears Tactics brings its own mechanics, story, and pace. At some point the flowed clicked, and then at a much later point it got a bit old. But I still whole-heartly recommend this to anyone with gamepass.

1. [PC] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  2. [PC] [Flight simulator] [Asobo Studio] Microsoft Flight Simulator
  3. [PC] [Grand strategy] [Paradox Interactive] Crusader Kings III
  4. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  5. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  6. [PC] [Turn-based strategy] [Splash Damage] Gears Tactics

Riou

Oct 26, 2017
1. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Loved everything about this game. Fantastic presentation and one of the best Action RPG battle system I've played. As someone who did not play the original it made a great impression on me. Liked it so much that I immediately played the original after beating the Remake.

2. The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki - Best game in the series so far and an incredible sendoff for much of the characters from western Zemuria. My one problem with it was managing all the playable characters became a bit much.

3. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - Great story, amazing visuals, gameplay was better than what I expected too. Probably my 2nd favorite Vanillaware game behind Odin Sphere.

4. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Better than the first game in every way except that it was a little too short. I wasn't really sold on Miles in the first game but he really won me over in this one.

5. Ghost of Tsushima - Loved the combat in this game but open world fatigue held it back for me.

1. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  2. [PS4] [RPG] [Nihon Falcom] The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki
  3. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  4. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  5. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
  1. The Last of Us Part II - I can't believe how far we've come in such a short time. The biggest game of last year starred a gay woman (!). As dark as this game gets, the gameplay is top-tier, and the performances are unmatched. It really means so much to see well-developed gay characters in big games like this.
  2. Yakuza: Like A Dragon - I have never laughed at a game more than this. Ichiban Kasuga is one of my favourite video game characters of all time. His relentless positivity and willingness to help others was so refreshing in 2020. The world would be a better place with people like him.
  3. Final Fantasy VII Remake - I never played the original Final Fantasy VII, so I had zero expectations leading into this remake. I wasn't even sure if I'd like it at all, considering the last few mainline FF games have only disappointed me. I was completely blown away by this. The art direction, the story, the characters, the battle system... this was by far the best cyberpunk game that came out in 2020. I am a believer in Final Fantasy again.
  4. Hades - I do not like rogue-likes. I love Hades. It's that good.
  5. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - This game has a slow start, but they continue to add in interesting mechanics throughout the game. It even gets a bit challenging at times, despite the cuddly, easy beginning. It is a truly joyful experience with friends. The music is also fantastic, much like all the previous LBP games.
  6. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - This would probably be higher on my list if it was a fully new game, but I still had a great time with it. Insomniac told a great story with Miles and I really enjoyed the focused nature of this game, as a contrast to the original PS4 game.
  7. Astro's Playroom - This game hit me so hard with nostalgia. I've had every single PlayStation over the years and had a blast figuring out all the references they threw in. It's a fun platformer, but the controller support was also pretty mind-blowing.
  8. Dirt 5 - We need more arcade racing games! This has had quite a few bugs, but I really did have such a great time with it. The driving feels so good.
  9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 - This game feels just how I remember these games felt. But it doesn't feel the way these games felt. It feels better. It feels modern. This is a fantastic remake that really captures the spirit of the original games, but adds in mechanics from later entirise. I really hope we see more Tony Hawk games in the future.
  10. Ghost of Tsushima - This is a gorgeous game. I went back to it a few months later to try the multiplayer expansion and fell in love with it again. It's a wonderful setting and SuckerPunk really knocked it out of the park. I look forward to the sequel.

2. [XSX] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  4. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  5. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sumo Digital] Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  6. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  7. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  8. [PS5] [Racing] [Codemasters] Dirt 5
  9. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  10. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima

Nov 27, 2017
1. The Last of Us Part II. Another masterpiece from Naughty Dog. Few games have dared to attempt some of the things these games have.

2. Final Fantasy 7 Remake. So much life was imbued into the characters of this game that I couldn't help but love it.

3. Ghost of Tsushima. A bit repetitive, but I was really involved in the world they built.

4. Fall Guys. Kind of a flash in the pan, but I still pick it up every so often and have a lot of fun with it. A great game for 2020.

5. Resident Evil 3 Remake. I understand the criticism this gets, but I really enjoyed the game. It's focused, non-stop action.

6. Among Us. This would be a few spots higher if the game itself actually released in 2020, but I'm giving some love to the Switch version here. This game defined 2020 for me, and it's just as enjoyable to watch as it is to play. It also really opened doors for me for viewing Twitch streams as entertainment.

7. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. They swung for the fences for the story of this game. It's pretty unique.

8. Spider-Man: Miles Morales. Not as groundbreaking as the original, but still a great time.

9. Murder By Numbers. What a strange concept of combining Picross and Ace Attorney games. But I love both of those, so this worked for me.

10. Paper Mario: The Origami King. Not everyone's favorite, but I love the art direction and the attempt to combine puzzle solving with battling.

2. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  3. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  4. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  5. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  6. [Switch] [Party] [Innersloth] Among Us
  7. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  8. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  9. [Switch] [Visual Novel] [Mediatonic] Murder by Numbers
  10. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King

nstinson

Dec 27, 2019
Of the games that came out last year that I played, I think the only one I played that qualifies is Hades. So I guess that would have to be my vote

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
1. Gotta be TLOU2, unbelievable achievement in the medium that is almost like a dream. Combat has amazing execution and feels like a different world compared to the first one.

2. Definitely didn't expect Bugsnax to hit so many emotional notes, but looking back I definitely didn't expect to get misty-eyed during Octodad either. Even the most annoying characters in the game were given a sublime depth that they didn't even really need for the game to be good, but the devs clearly had more to offer than just a well made Pokemon Snap & Ape Escape mash up. Heartfelt moments between an inclusive cast with a underlying message that really hits home by the end.

3. FF7 Remake is the game I've wanted since I was 13, and it delivered everything I wanted and more (besides the other 4/5 of the story lol). Great twist ending that probably went a little too far in places but I appreciate the new direction as someone who has played the original a few dozen times.

4. Its not that often that I am completely GLUED to a VR headset, but I played Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners straight through to platinum. I will always praise it for its attention to detail and dedication to immersive VR gameplay, and I am 100% in for whatever this team puts out next. Bonus points for being an exceptional port to PS4, I will fully admit to seeing that initial PCVR footage and being very skeptical that it would translate well to PSVR, but the graphics and Move support were far beyond expectations. (Strangely, theres no option for the PS4 version in the poll but I definitely vote for that one)

5. Demon's Souls... what more can be said. If this had been a brand new game and I hadn't already played the original a dozen times, this would easily hold the top spot. Bluepoint are the champs of the PS5 launch and they are simply the best at what they do.

6. You came back for MORE. MORE was not enough for you. You still craved MORE. How much MORE could there be? Was it MORE than you expected? Gained MORE power. Encountered MORE mysteries. Read MORE files. You came back for MORE. Seethed with MORE anger. Suffered MORE addiction. Felt MORE anxiety. In the end everything you craved was no MORE. MORE is all you need.

7. Miles Morales was a great ride, and I think the pared down formula works very well considering the scope of the project. Didnt expect to walk away from this one loving Rio as much as I did.

2. [PS5] [Adventure] [Young Horses] Bugsnax
  4. [PC] [Survival Horror] [Skydance Interactive] The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners
  5. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  6. [PS4] [Shooter] [Superhot Team] Superhot: Mind Control Delete
  7. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
Animal Crossing and Hades are by far the most fun I had last year.
Among Us and Fall Guys are pretty addictive.
Desperados 3 game mechanics are awesome.
Paper Mario was fine, but miles better than what the series was getting so far.
Mario Kart Live is the most different experience I had with gaming last year.
Ghost of Tsushima and Fenyx are super safe, but well executed and satisfying to play.
And the only thing wrong with Mario 3D All Stars is the lack of Galaxy 2.

1. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  2. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  3. [Switch] [Party] [Innersloth] Among Us
  4. [PC] [RTS] [Mimimi Games] Desperados III
  5. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  6. [Switch] [Racing] [Velan Studios, Inc] Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
  7. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  8. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  9. [Switch] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Immortals Fenyx Rising
  10. [Switch] [Platformer] [Nintendo] Super Mario 3D All-Stars

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
1. The Last of Us Part II:
I loved the first game, Naughty Dog created a perfect (in my opinion) continuation of the story and improved the gameplay significantly.

2. Demon's Souls:
I never played the original but love all the other Souls games. The DS remake is fantastic PS5 launch game, a real stand out.

3. Astro's Playroom:
I expected nothing when I first started playing, but it was super fun and a great way to show off all the new Dualsense features. Sure, it was gimmicky. But I don't think that is a negative if the game is designed to take advantage of those gimmicks in fun ways. Really hope we get a follow-up.

4. Bugsnax:
Super cute and fun. Probably wouldn't have played it if it wasn't on PS plus but I'm glad it was since I ended up loving it so much.

5. Resident Evil 3:
I never played the original but I loved RE2 remake and this was a great follow-up.

6. Animal Crossing New Horizons:
A really good Animal crossing game. Much needed in a year like 2020. Me and my partner had our first virtual date on their island.

7. Fall Guys Ultimate knockout:
Another super fun game. Had a big problem with cheaters near launch, but definitely one of the most fun multiplayer games I've played in a while.

8. Spider-man Miles Morales:
Spider-man was great, this is more of the same except I think the story was a bit more meaningful and I prefer Miles over Peter. Another great launch game.

9. Call of Duty Warzone:
I played this more than any other battle royale game. I think the enjoyment comes from who you play with to be fair, but I had a blast while playing.

10. Crash Bandicoot 4 It's about time:
I love the original Crash trilogy and the N.sane trilogy. This isn't quite as good imo, but its still a fantastic platformer and I'm really glad it turned out to be so good.

2. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  3. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  4. [PS5] [Adventure] [Young Horses] Bugsnax
  6. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  7. [PC] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  8. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  9. [PS4] [Shooter] [Infinity Ward] Call of Duty: Warzone
  10. [PS4] [Platformer] [Toys for Bob] Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't play that many games in the year, mostly focused on older stuff.

1. Persona 5 Royal - I like Persona. P5R is pretty good. I disliked how it's unbalanced and too easy, but it's still fun.
2. TMS#FE - I like Persona. This is basically a Persona spin-off that's more focused on combat/dungeon crawling. First played it on the Wii U, but the reduced load times & portability make this much more playable on the Switch, even though they didn't change much else.
3. Dicey Dungeons - I like turn-based combat & this is a very interesting turn-based combat game that's like a roguelike but all your abilities are powered by dice. Great amount of variety with the different scenarios & characters.
4. Hades. This is like someone took Diablo and condensed it into runs that you could do in a single play session and then also made the story & characters much better.
5. Lithium City. Short but sweet indie game that hardly anyone played.

1. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  2. [Switch] [RPG] [Atlus] Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  3. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Distractionware Limited] Dicey Dungeons
  5. [PC] [Action Adventure] Lithium City

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
1. The Last of Us Part II
Ambition, the game. dig two graves, one for your feelings and other for any other game you play next. there's no such thing that made me feel like this, no game nor movie nor book. this is ND at their peak, marrying the intense action by the gut punching gameplay with a heartsinking story and narrative. the game just knows when to ask more of you and give something in return. Part 2 searchs inside you and pull out everything. all that for a incredible satisfatory finale. just bravo.
I can't go out w/o applauding Santaolalla for this OST, he outdid himself and hit all the right notes at the right times and kept the use of motifs from Part 1 to an absolute necessity thus giving those extreme value in the right scenes.

It's just the best of the best. Graphics, animations, gameplay, cinematics... all while being a groundbreaking game in the accessibility department.
Dramatic, i know.

2. Astro's Playroom
Always good to play a game to remind you what gaming can be about, just pure joy and happiness. paying homage to history and remembering the roots. this game hits all the nails in the head.
i just can't wait to see what Team Asobi cooks up next.

3. Demon's Souls
A demon soul, with a heart of gold. remade 1:1 to a fault! Bluepoint for me proved themselves with this amazing and faithful recreation of the game that started it all. it's gorgeous and managed to kick my ass more than a couple of times. a joy to platinum and to play around with the different classes and weapons.
every Souls fan should play this game.

1.[PS4][Action Adventure][Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
2.[PS5][Platformer][Team Asobi] Astro's Playroom
3.[PS5][Action RPG][Bluepoint] Demon's Souls

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So, my first pick is TLOUP2 because I think it is one of the best games ever made. It's narrative is way more ambitious than some people give it credit for, and it plays brilliantly. I think it surpasses the first game in every way. It is a genuine masterpiece.

Next, I am going for 13 Sentinels. Funny enough, this is the only game on my list I haven't completed. However, I still appreciate what it is doing (with the only exception being some of the unfortunate sexualization).

Then is Demon's Souls. It is a fantastic game, but it is a very faithful remake (which is why I am not giving it second place). It is a more attractive version of the game we all know and love.

Coming in right after that is the absolutely delightful Astro's Playroom. It is short, but it is charming from pillar to post. If it had been twice as long I think it would have ranked even higher.

Lastly, I want to give Resident Evil 3 a place at the table, too. I think this game was somewhat unfairly maligned. It is a ton of fun, I think it just had some optics problems.

Here are some honorable mentions...
A part of my wants to give FF7R a spot on this list, but it bungled too many story beats too badly for me to be able to justify giving it a position. Similarly, I like Ghost of Tsushima, and think it offers an incredible value, but it just has too many moments where it feels like an Ubisoft game.

2. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  3. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  4. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
  2. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  4. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  5. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  7. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  8. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sumo Digital] Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  9. [PS4] [RPG] [Nihon Falcom] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
  10. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Notes:
  • Hades. Man, what a game. I find it extremely difficult to stay focused when gaming on PC and thus waited for Supergiant to port the game literally anywhere else. I adore Bastion & Pyre, and enjoyed Transistor but didn't love it, so I expected big things from this game... It still blew me away somehow. Impeccably designed. Music and art are amazing as always. Just play it guys. If it's not on a platform you own/like to play on, it will almost certainly be on Playstation and Xbox sometime soon so pick it up then :-) I plan to pick it up on playstation and platinum it whenever that day comes!
  • I am still actively playing Sackboy: A Big Adventure (#8), it is going a bit slower than other games as I am playing it with my wife when she is able outside of schoolwork/internship. We are really enjoying everything we have played so far though and are 100% the levels.
  • Also still playing Trails of Cold Steel IV (#9) because it's extremely long and I started it a bit late lol. But as always, I love all Trails games and this one is no different so far.
  • In a normal year, I'm not sure Fall Guys lands on the list as it has some seriously egregious design flaws and was suffering from a lack of content for a while (still does arguably). However, if you can ignore or at least minimize how much those issues bother you, there is definitely a very fun game there that I enjoyed taking turns with my wife playing. Probably put 40 hours in 2020, haven't played more than a few matches in 2021 though.
  • The Last of Us Part II. The original is easily in my top 3 favorite games ever, as such I had high hopes for this one. Overall, I think it's really really good, but it's so much more dark and brutal compared to the original that it was a hard game to truly have fun playing it. Kept me interested and invested the whole way, but kind of made me feel guilty any time I realized I was having fun with the mechanics or anything. Still highly recommended.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10. Astro's Playroom
One of the sweetest and most memorable introductions to a new generation ever. The Dualsense effects were jaw dropping and the game itself was breezy fun with a lot of respect for Playstation's history

9. Doom Eternal

Bought literally as the world went into lockdown this was a welcome distraction and a good game to get into a zen mindset as it forces the player to focus fully just to keep up with the frantic action. Platforming was hit and miss while the story was needlessly overdone but the gameplay was still ace.

8. Resident Evil 3 Remake
I wasn't expecting much based on people's reactions, but I honestly enjoyed it more than the great RE2 Remake. Less silly puzzles, more exciting action sequences and some very fun areas to explore.

7. Ghost of Tsushima
The game I and many others wanted since Assassin's Creed became a major franchise. The feudal setting is glorious, the art direction is dazzling and while it's a little on the long and repetitive side, the combat is genuinely well executed.

6. Streets of Rage 4
The first Streets of Rage I managed to complete! A terrific update of the franchise with lots to unlock, surprisingly strong online component and a wicked soundtrack

5. Maneater
This very nearly flew under my radar but thanks to Playstation Plus offering it for free I found one of the best diamonds in the rough. It's beautiful, brutal and oddly hypnotising. I got the platinum in a day and still wanted more.

4. Black Ops Cold War
Zombies is my jam, and this is the best zombies ever. The fact they seem to be actually updating this mode and keeping it fresh only makes things better. And god damn do I love the dualsense feedback, I never get tired of it!

3. Animal Crossing New Horizons
THE game that helped many get through the pandemic, like Doom Eternal it's got a very zen quality to it where you can lose track of the world around you. The simplicity and creativity of the franchise has never been as good as it is here.

2. Demon's Souls
My first souls game made even better. 60fps and the remastered graphics make such a difference. It's the best Playstation launch title ever as well.

1. The Last of Us Part 2
It's almost a year later and the game still haunts me in the best possible way. I've platinumed it, and wouldn't mind doing it all again if the inevitable PS5 version has a separate trophy list.

Naughty Dog could've done the easy thing: A basic adventure with Ellie and Joel, and they would've made bank, gotten all the praise and pleased audiences.

Instead they did something I don't think any developer or any creative person would do and took a risk so enormous it had the potential to ruin the franchise permanently.

In an industry where we have so many endless games of the same hero's going through the same conflicts with no real meaningful stakes or change to the status quo this game had the balls to risk everything for the sake of a great story and it paid off in dividends.

I already loved the first game's gameplay but the refined elements like crawling, hiding in grass, using silencers, a dedicated dodge button, make it unlike any other game out there. One moment you're crafting on the fly, jumping through a window, returning fire, engaging in melee combat, losing your pursuers and then becoming the silent predator, it's wonderful.

I don't see how they'll top this but I thought the same about the first one so i'm sure they'll think of something.

2. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  3. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  4. [PS5] [Shooter] [Treyarch] Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  5. [PS5] [Action RPG] [Tripwire Interactive] Maneater
  6. [PS4] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  7. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  8. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  9. [PS4] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  10. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
  1. [PC] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  2. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  3. [PC] [Turn-based strategy] [Splash Damage] Gears Tactics
1. In a landscape of mindless open world, "pLay hOW yOu WaNt", generic Ubisoft dross, DOOM Eternal stands tall. I had nearly forgotten what it was like to play a game with such incredibly tight design. You can feel how each encounter is handcrafted to teach the player something new or force their engagement in certain directions. Pulse pounding pacing combined with Mick Gordon's flawless metal score that has evolved as much as the gameplay from 2016 results in an experience I won't soon forget.

2. Like its predecessor, Ori is an absolutely stunning 2D platformer that uses its story sparingly but to great effect. Tight platforming, expanded combat and abilities, and the addition of 3D art make the Will of the Wisps a worthy follow up to the original.

3. As a long time fan of both Gears and tactics games, Gears Tactics surprised me with how it constantly and consistently brought in and trasformed the mechanics of a third person shooter into a tactics game. Though the game may overstay its welcome by a few hours, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
733oEle.png

Kentucky Route Zero
I tend to play early access games when 1.0 releases and episodic games when the full season is out, so this is a 2020 release to me. A deeply engaging piece of magic realism.

hTgsXYO.png

If Found...
Touching, visually distinct and with characters that I've come to care for. While there are very dramatic low-points, in the end it remains hopeful, which makes it not just a trans suffering story.

y2bIqO6.png

Wide Ocean, Big Jacket
I was excited for this having played Little Party, and it lived up to my expectations. Charming little slice-of-life.

ArXJkAH.png

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Gorgeous in every sense.

vr9HvOq.png

Röki
Beautiful adventure game that frequently inspires wonder.

ph7HXgk.png

Coffee Talk
Are service jobs in a fantastical/sci-fi settings the next trend in indies? Especially bartender/barista. Well, I'm not complaining since it is an interesting premise that allows for some "anthology" story-telling presenting different characters and perspectives on an overarching narrative or setting.

k7Spr2H.png

Dépanneur Nocturne
Really captures a pleasant, wholesome atmosphere. There's more to explore than what's immediately apparent.

N6txSNF.png

10mg: Cover Me In Leaves
Fantastic visual style and ambient music that combine into a superb atmosphere. The writing style feels at times quite visceral.

xczXpGt.png

Dweller's Empty Path

There's a lot of charm and character to this and some neat pixel art. It does suffer from some unclear progression but thankfully the in-game hint system mitigates that. (Would still be better with clearer progression but at least it's not a big issue.) Quite an extensive soundtrack for what is a relatively short game, too.

tHYKWGY.png

Boat Prom
Never before has a title drop in a game made me laugh so much. I find it consistently funny, but I'm not sure if I can tell why.

Honorable Mentions
Tales From Off-Peak City Vol. 1
Resident Evil 3
Haunted Cities, Vol. 4
Hard Lads
Rainy Season

1. [PC] [Point-and-click adventure] [Cardboard Computer] Kentucky Route Zero
  2. [PC] [Adventure] [DREAMFEEL] If Found...
  3. [PC] [Visual Novel] [Turnfollow] Wide Ocean Big Jacket
  4. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  5. [PC] [Adventure] [Polygon Treehouse] Röki
  6. [PC] [Visual Novel] [Toge Productions] Coffee Talk
  7. [PC] [Adventure] [KO_OP] Dépanneur Nocturne
  8. [PC] [Visual Novel] [Elliot Herriman] 10mg: Cover Me In Leaves
  9. [PC] [Adventure] [Temmie Chang] Dweller's Empty Path
  10. [PC] [Interactive Fiction] [Brendan Patrick Hennessy] Boat Prom
  11. [PC] [Adventure] [Cosmo D] Tales From Off-Peak City Vol. 1
  12. [PC] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  13. [PC] [Horror] [Kitty Horrorshow] Haunted Cities Volume 4
  14. [PC] [Simulation] [Robert Yang] Hard Lads
  15. [PC] [Adventure] [Inasa Fujio] Rainy Season

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
  1. [PC] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  2. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  3. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  4. [XSX] [Action RPG] [Ubisoft] Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  6. [XSX] [Racing] [Codemasters] Dirt 5
  7. [PC] [Racing] [Funselektor Labs] art of rally
  8. [XSX] [Racing] [Kylotonn] WRC 9
  9. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  10. [XSX] [Shooter] [Bungie] Destiny 2

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Valhalla was the best AC in a long time, and I really enjoyed the side quest changes.

Hades is an excellent if short rogue-lite

Tony hawk was pretty much the perfect remaster

Fall guys was addictive multiplayer fun

Ms flight Sim was the best looking video game ever made

1. [XSX] [Action RPG] [Ubisoft] Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  2. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  3. [XBO] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  4. [PC] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  5. [PC] [Flight simulator] [Asobo Studio] Microsoft Flight Simulator

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
These games are on my list by default because they're the only new games I played last year(though I legitimately think TLOU2 and SM:MM are great games). There's a potential few GOTY candidates from 2020 that I own but haven't gotten around to playing yet(GoT and SW: Squadrons). Demon's Souls and FF7:R are two games I don't like but are only on my list because they were two of a handful of new games that I played.

1. TLOU2: Great story, great graphics, great gameplay. Headshotting an enemy has never felt this good in a game before. This is one was an obvious choice for GOTY.

2. Spider man Miles Morales: Had a lot of fun with this game. The graphics are great and the loading times are a massive improvement over the first. It was never going to be GOTY over TLOU2 because it feels more like an expansion pack or a DLC than a proper sequel to the original, but I had a blast playing this game.

3. Astro's Playroom: A love letter to Playstation. No pre-installed free game(that also acts as a tech demo) has any right being this good. This game would probably get my soundtrack of the year as well.

4. SM 3D All Stars: Three of my favourite Mario games, remastered in HD, not much more I can say. The only disappointing thing is that the ports themselves seem a bit lazy in terms of being just straight ports of the originals with minor changes.

5. Bugsnax: Interesting twist on puzzle games. Didn't know what to think of it when it was revealed, but the actual game is a lot of fun. The graphics are simplistic but work well for the type of game it is.

6. Among Us: Played it with friends a few times and had fun, probably never going to play it again though, just requires too much effort and coordination to bring everyone together to play this.

7. Demon's Souls: Never been too much into Soulsborne games, I feel they require more time investment than I have to "git gud". This one was given to me as a gift from a friend, the graphics and atmosphere are great, but it's just not for me.

8. FF7 Remake: As a huge fan of the original, don't like this game at all. My expectations were low from the start after seeing the changes they made, but this game managed to be worse than my lowest expectations.

2. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  4. [Switch] [Platformer] [Nintendo] Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  5. [PS5] [Adventure] [Young Horses] Bugsnax
  6. [Switch] [Party] [Innersloth] Among Us
  7. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  8. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
TLOU II excellent story, amazing gameplay vastly improved from the first game, as much memorable moments both emotional and tense.

Had a lot of fun with FF7R, even with it's shortcomings on a level design, combat was great, characters and settings were a joy to follow through.

Ghost of Tsushima all round great really enjoyed the story, combat was quite good for open world experience, music is easily to me the best soundtrack this year elevating some of the weaker direction sequences by far quite a few interesting side quest stories and characters and the tragic backstories of each one

Demon's was an incredible remake and improving the art direction beyond the originals making for much more atmospheric game. Easily the best looking Next gen game so far and very polished gameplay experience. So good playing it in 60 FPS

Miles Morales had a really great story, they improved the gameplay from the first with venom powers which makes going back to the first a little less fun, only downside is that it's quite short but had some really excellent setpieces

Streets of Rage 4 first game I've tried it's quite a lot of fun, really nice short burst to get through and a cool art style

The one game that didn't release this year that I played which would have probably been the second favourite game after TLOU II would have been Red Dead Redemption 2. Excellent story, amazing moments through, great being immersed into the cowboy/outlaw setting and excellent use of soundtrack/music.

Also forgot Astro Playroom, such an amazing PS5 game tech experience, joy to play through though wished it were longer.

4. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  5. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  6. [XBO] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The Last of Us 2
Naughty dog has been my favorite developer since I was 7, every generation they release a game that captures everything I want from a game and also redefines what I expect moving forward, brilliant gameplay, characters you never expected to love, a visual dream, made my PS4 pro sound like a jet engine and that in turn made me get a headset and really made me appreciate the wonderful sound design. Its a perfect game that surpasses the original.

Final fantasy 7 remake was straight up fun, I never even played the og version and I thought it was corny at times and one part was so overly ridiculous that I just sat there smiling and thinking oh wow, I love this game and the characters.

Miles morales was a good follow up to 2018's spiderman, loved the setting and being from NYC myself and a POC, you can feel the differences in miles and peters experience in the city, Miles wearing a big snorkel jacket with a fresh fade walking to the bodega, that feels like me, this game feels like home. Need to put him in some jordans next time around tho.

Hades made me wear out my switch joycons playing this for like 50 hours of mashing and traversing through the underworld, never liked rogue likes but the premise and characters and fun gameplay had me coming back again and again. I hope theres a sequel or DLC, I want more adventures with the gods.

Always wanted an assassins creed set in japan and who knew I had to wait until sucker punch tried their hand at it to get one. The setting was beautiful and even if the voice acting for the japanese dub wasn't synced it was still wonderful and felt authentic, this at 60FPS was well worth waiting on the PS5 update.

3. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
1. Yakuza: LaD - Great shakeup to the Yakuza series with a great cast of characters that nicely shakeups RPG conventions
2. The Last of Us: Part 2 - Everything a sequel should be. More gameplay and more risks leave an unforgettable experience.
3. Crash Bandicoot 4: IaT - A perfect encapsulation of what made the classic games great while also doing its own thing to keep it all fresh.
4. Street of Rage 4 - Just an absolutely fun brawler that finally brings the series back after its long-standing slence.
5. 13 Sentinels: AR - A unique Sci-fi VN experience that really stands on its own due to its unique non-linear story telling.
6. Doom Eternal - More Ripping & Tearing, no more really needs to be said.

1. [XSX] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  3. [XBO] [Platformer] [Toys for Bob] Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  4. [XBO] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  5. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  6. [XBO] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
1. The Last of Us Part II - One of the best and boldest AAA productions I've ever played.

2. 13 Sentinels - Instant VN classic. Love the story and the way it's structured and presented.

3. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Really original approach to remaking a game, having the best combat in a Final Fantasy entry doesn't hurt either.

4. Demon's Souls - My frist souls like game, never played the original or their kind since I was intimidated by their difficulty. I'm glad that the PS5 hype and the lack of load times made me give it a chance. I had such an amazing time playing the game and discovering its secrets along with the community.

5. Ghost of Tsushima - The game I put most hours into in 2020, it was a delight to explore the world and the elegant way Sucker Punch adapted the "Ubisoft Open World" really elevated the experience.

6. Astro's Playroom - Probably the most Reggie Fils-Aimé fun I had this year

2. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  4. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
  3. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  4. [PS4] [Platformer] [Mossmouth] Spelunky 2
  5. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  6. [PC] [Action RPG] [miHoYo] Genshin Impact
  7. [PC] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  8. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  9. [PC] [Adventure] [DREAMFEEL] If Found...
  10. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Honourable Mentions
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S

3429182-2073638453-_pVz-.gif

Putting this as a HM seeing as it's a 2020 port of a 2019 update to a 2018 international release of a 2017 japan release.
DQ11 is the nice warm bath of video games, the temperature is juuust right, and the S edition is like having bubble jets, bath bombs and a rubber duck. A familiar experience executed to optimal feel good vibes, it might make you sweat every now and then but otherwise you can easily just lose yourself in its inviting world and sink under the surface of bubbly goodness for 60 hours (don't try this in an actual bath, you'd be lucky to last 60 seconds).

DQ11 also has the ultimate rare distinction of a video game actually eliciting very real tears from my eyes, media can easily make me get watery eyes (too easily these days I find, I'm a sap) but that's like the glass ceiling of my emotional response. DQ11 meanwhile had me very puzzled when it caused the tears to actively find a crack in that glass and I responded like a confused robot, this isn't gamer rage? This is….a response...to a plot point...in a video game, is this ART?!

I still can't believe you did that Square, you took my genre expectations for granted and suckerpunched me good, what am I talking about? Ah that'd be telling, guess you'll just have to find out, I mean we're still locked down after all so what better time to bury yourself in a JRPG eh?

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

658.gif

Funnily enough, the best parts of this game for me was seeing some of my first time friends go all in on the creative tools to whip up wonderful islands that made mine look like the doldrums despite me having been with the series since the cube, I'm washed up.
You know the drill, this was a vital game for 2020, it almost made my main list as a result of its very real worth in an exhausting year. Ultimately though, it's still too much more of the same and the new ideas I kinda bounced off of such as the crafting.

10. Streets of Rage 4

MNuNE2e.jpg

If you were to ask me for my thoughts on the Mega Drive classic "Streets of Rage 2" I'd tell you it's a damn fine OST and an acceptable vehicle for a co-operative escapade. Now if you asked me to play it alone, in single player, I'd balk at the suggestion, "are you mad? Single credit clear? Oh good heavens no!" and I'd promptly faint.
Actually this is less a SoR 2 issue and more an entire genre one, beat em ups have never been my scene, sauntering down those seedy streets with a contradictory stiff swagger, punching endless parades of eccentric 90's thuggery and eating entire roast chickens found in a bin, some people find great joy in such things, I'm just not one of them.
As my friend, raised on a mega drive, started licking his lips at the prospect of more of that bin chicken, now brought into pleasingly modern illustrated visuals, I had to wonder if I could develop a taste for it, after all wall chicken is a delicacy for me so maybe there was still hope.
The UK lockdown denied any dreams of local co-op, the only way I thought I'd stomach that taste, due to a lack of crossplay for online I'd have to dine alone.
And it was delicious.

In truth I'd paid Streets of Rage 4 more attention than I usually would for the genre, in part because Lizard Cube's visual work on Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is a personal favourite of mine, I was more than willing to follow their artistic vision into the sleaze, and what art it is, look at those character glow ups! The pavement puddles shine with reflected neon light, social outcasts slither along, spoiling for a fight. And then your chosen character rocks up, walking with purpose, fists clenched, it looks like a million bucks but how does it feel to play? This is the real test, the make or break moment for me. I input the basic punch combo, each blow lands with a meaty slaptacular impact as the thug is launched across the screen and I realise, this game could be the one!

As someone whose 2D brawler experience is being hard carried by someone actually competent, there was a gruelling rite of passage for me here, even now after two runs there's still unwritten rules to SoR that I don't fully understand. Like getting to grips with the retro design decisions that seem scandalous in 2020, no block? Am I supposed to just jump instead? Why can only Cherry run? WALK FASTER DAMMIT! There was frustration but there was growth, these streets play by their own rules and to survive I had to adapt.
The secret sauce to SoR4 combat is undoubtedly the special moves, much like in the olden days performing one of these clutch moves is easily done but at the expense of your own health, now though that health can be regained via continued fisticuffs, so long as you don't get hit. This opens the door for an incredibly effective risk/reward system that can have you teeter on the brink of death after a reckless rampage, yet pull yourself back up to good health, no bin chicken required (or in my preferred choice, bin ramen, mmm noodles stewing in garbage water!)

I'd like to have seen bosses that feel less….bullshit? tedious? Maybe I'm missing something but frustration is indeed trying to move your immobile cyborg out of the way of super armoured rushes or AoE moves. Elsewhere the in between stage cutscenes are begging for voice over or any sort of sound effects to add some pizazz to their proceedings. In any case, I beat the game on normal all by myself which for me can probably slot alongside victories like the bloodborne platinum or Celeste C Sides. And to me that's the testament to the game's strength, it had me push through a genre outside my wheelhouse.

9. Doom Eternal

FSP4QgW.jpg

One has to respect developers for making the game they want to make, especially when it's a sequel that comes across like the result of a drunken dare to alienate half the existing playerbase.
Not since the 360 version of Ninja Gaiden 2 have I played a game so relentless, unwavering in its pure commitment to end the player, and not since Pacman Championship Edition DX have I played a game that causes me to involuntarily tense up so when I finally get that sweet sweet reprieve I realise my neck really hurts (yeah, I said Pacman, look those neon ghost trains do not slow down!)

Every stage in Doom Eternal is sprawling epic unto itself, taking you on a scenic tour through a combination of the apocalypse and a heavy metal album cover which admittedly might be the same basic thing. An unabashedly gamey game that sees the attempts a lot of similar big productions take to ground their games in a believable reality and instead throws back with giant question marks designating secrets into the game world itself while you hoover up all sorts of brightly covered pickups existing entirely for the player.
Doom Eternal is a game governed by it's own specific rule set and logic, every single piece of your arsenal is given a purpose, to ignore any of it is folly and will leave you strapped for health and ammo in a way few games would dare to. Initially it feels limiting, gradually as you understand the systems your ability to keep all the juggling balls from hitting the ground takes form, even as new balls are constantly thrown into play, also you can't stop moving or you die, hummingbird simulator 2020.

I'd actually argue that Doom Eternal goes a bit too hard on the endless world of demons, by the time you've reached the halfway point you've taken your baptism by fire at the cultist temple as well as your following baptism by molten magma at the Arc Complex. Even with a few new enemy cards to place on the table like the diabolical Archvile and the creeping realisation that the Marauder is being worked into standard combat encounters, I felt like I'd been made to face so many foes with such regularity that I'd reached an uncanny state where I'm somehow going through the motions while simultaneously always on a razors edge, is this how speedrunners feel?

I dig the approach to level design quite a lot, it feels more focused than 2016 while still hiding collectables in ways that require observation but doesn't send you completely off course. It's also got a substantial increase in shockingly slick first person platforming. Doom 2016 is all about some nice little leaps and clambering when it wants to cool down if you can call it that, Eternal has rotating firebars like it's Bowser's (metal) castle and air dashing into cliff faces that you smash into and clamber with an animated sense of fury. It's a bit disappointing the game doesn't quite know how to approach boss fights when they actually already nailed it down back in 2016, otherwise though I landed on the side of the fence that finds Eternal better than its predecessor in most ways, yet I confess that I feel like I should love it more than I actually do.

Also multiplayer! Yes I did in fact put some time into the vanity project of this game with a friend as we took on the role of playable demon duos, which in itself is actually very cool conceptually. I never thought the day would come where I'd say "Mancubus is my big meaty boy", yet here it is. It is basically just a novelty though and I'm surprised the game goes in as hard as it does with battle pass like leveling systems and unlocks for a mode I can't imagine anyone sticks with, thanks for upping my file size substantially though!

In a way though this kind of highlights the sheer audacity of Doom Eternal, it could've just been a safe sequel, instead it just throws every idea they had into the melting pot, which boils over, leaks all over the floor and swallows you up unless you prove you can swim out of its ever increasing volume of heated action.
Wait, swimming….there's another idea for the pot, in it goes!

8. Spelunky 2

zb72epT.png

My PS4 capture gallery has become an archive of defeat, historical records of journeys gone awry, running the gamut from flawed decisions in the heat of the moment to the maddening machinations of gaming's most prevalent supplier of Rube Goldberg death scenarios.
Indeed, how can one game make death so simultaneously infuriating and hilarious? How fair is it that a good honest man, making all the right decisions can lose everything in one false step? Spelunky 2 hits you with the philosophical questions of life, why are we still here? Just to suffer? As my character's corpse ping pongs between a horned lizard and a Machiavellian mole, and now I'm questioning do we really need Moles? This game makes a good case against them.

This time though, it'll be different I tell myself as I venture once more into the dwelling with only accumulated game knowledge to support my next venture, and promptly run into an arrow trap.
This might all sound somewhat familiar to anyone who Spelunked their way through the previous outing, actually I was rather surprised at how similar this sequel is to the original game on a surface level. The changes to the action platforming rougelike aren't exactly bullet points for the back of a non existent game box, but they are subtly meaningful.
Player choice with diverging paths, new biomes, mounts, a physics system for water and lava and of course new secrets to unearth. All of these additions have to be carefully balanced as to not cause the structural integrity of the greater whole to go off-kilter, so you can see the kind of ripples each variable added can cause.
The secrets run deep in more ways than one, it was a real expedition going in blind and trying to piece together aspects of the game world and the uses of certain items or rooms alongside a friend in admittedly less than optimal online.

Though this is partly where the game stumbles, too many steps in the processes to access some of the hidden areas, steps that are too easily ended with a fatal trip or just bad luck. I'm still pretty proud of myself for besting Hundun but I fear the cosmic ocean will always be out of my reach.
Me trying to keep hold of * spoiler item redacted * is a bit like fellow whip cracking spelunker (of sorts) Indy trying to grasp the holy grail, it's so close, I'm almost there at the expense of my own sanity but I just gotta let it go….except my co-op partner is much more likely to accidentally send me into an abyss than save me from one.
And I'd laugh all the way down.

7. A Short Hike

8ueKBHZ.jpg

Density in brevity, A Short Hike very rapidly became a lengthy detour in my hands, no game has quite scratched my curious wanderlust itch since Breath of the Wild. Which is all the more impressive when you consider that Hawk Peak Park isn't a huuuuge overworld of secrets and gameplay possibilities, it's just a compact island that almost creates an illusion of vastness with the lack of a map and an ever turning perspective that just keeps seeming to unfold new areas to get lost in before you find your way pack to the central path.
There's clear influences on A Short Hike's trek jacket sleeve, I already mentioned the first and the other is quickly made apparent, Animal Crossing's brand of charm and even art direction have their assorted paw prints all over this, it's not just talking animals, now that'd be a bit silly to credit AC with, but I'm eyeing up those rocks and digging spots that's for sure, I hit a suspicious rock with a shovel and the resulting homage felt like receiving a knowing nod from the developer.
I specifically highlight this though because A Short Hike carries that same whimsy in tone and dialogue while applying it to a game with a clear goal and end point.

There's something I find intriguing about that concept, particularly in 2020 where Crossing Mania swept the locked down land. As enjoyable as it was for me, as a player of that franchise since the Gamecube it felt like having returned to the same holiday destination one too many times, and a short hike stood as the brand of similar yet different I craved in its place.
Journeying as Claire, meeting the various NPCs and being drawn into their dilemmas, their minigames and stumbling upon new gameplay mechanics and tools felt like I was getting a truncated and fresh take on an old favourite. I can't stress how brilliant it is that the game has no quest tracker, there's no feeling of obligation to see and do everything, I just wandered around and did what I wanted until I felt like it was time to journey to the peak.

Though to journey to the peak you have to have stumbled upon at least a few gold feathers, these collectables serving as the basis for stamina which nicely lets me segue into talking about movement and character control like I always do.
No, I'm not about to bust out some sick movement tech, I'm actually mainly here to appreciate the feel of flapping and gliding with the dipping into bursts of acceleration, a mechanic that gets the top tier payoff by the game's end (you can probably have a guess what that is). You know what really blew me away though? The speedboat.
I think the last time I was thrilled by a video game speedboat was GTA3 when the idea of crossing the grey goop of liberty city's waters was new and exciting, otherwise I don't think I've approached speedboats with any sense of excitement since (sorry Bloodwake, if only I got to you first). So with a feeling of resignation I came across A Short Hike's speedboat and begrudgingly accepted the game's offer to take it for a spin….and it just TAKES OFF, my controller rumbles, possibly in HD, water is splashing from the sides of the vehicle as the screen feels like it's struggling to keep up pace with the motorboat menace. I was taken aback because I forgot that speedboats don't need to be humdrum piece of gaming transportation, really it's just the game using small details like those mentioned to really sell the change from just tottering about on your talons, but it worked.

I'll say no more, because going for a wander yourself and stumbling upon the small joys of this game is best experienced firsthand.

6. Huntdown

cbMrj82.jpg

The moment you hit the title screen, as silhouetted bounty hunters stand in a windswept grimy street, a gravelly voiceover blares HUNTDOWN and synth music kicks in, the tone is immediately set for the homage barrage towards 80's action movies, leaning more towards the B movie side of things.
And from there it just keeps on going, the quippy one liners all voiced with the perfect cornball tone, the comic violence ("I like my salsa CHUNKY") , the bleak future aesthetics recreated in gorgeous pixel art that's like the 16 bit visuals you think you remember, which is to say it's probably better.

Mercifully for me the gameplay is less inspired by run and guns with infinite enemies and instant death, and instead something that feels like a madcap blend of chaotic sidescrolling gunfights with cover shooting and a touch of the hotline miami/katana zero like dynamic action that has you frantically scavenge whatever weapon you can get your hands on while eschewing the overly punishing price of failure those games use.

There's this ebb and flow between action that puts you on a guns blazing Rambo offensive one moment and then has you diving into cover and trying to work your way out of the hail of bullets more like John McClane. The simplicity of Huntdown is its secret strength, the systems don't run deep, there's no skill trees, exp or superfluous fluff. Just picking your preferred flavour of bounty hunter and blasting through hordes of gang members en linear route to their insane leaders, leaders such as the head honcho of hockey gear clad subway dwellers, The Unholy Goalie, which might just be the best character name of 2020.

I was not prepared for such variety in boss fights either, there must be around 20 incredibly distinct boss fights that can't just be blindly barrelled through, it's classic pattern recognition against a copyright infringing lineup of nods to even the most niche of action flicks, they can be a bit spongy mind you.

Every year there are a few top shelf indie titles that seemingly slip through the cracks and this is one of them, see the era OT? Nope? Exactly. Even I put off this one for far too long despite having it on my radar for months, consider this the PSA to put Huntdown on your wishlist, or there's gonna BE a Huntdown.
user has been banned, duration pending

5. Final Fantasy VII Remake

TNfoT4h.jpg

By all accounts this shouldn't be here.
Prior to this, my closest brushes with Final Fantasy 7 involve the following…
- My brother's friend showing off the golden saucer FMVs in the wake of its UK release, priorities to impress people were different back then
- Being made to watch Advent Children and wondering what in the flying fuck was going on, turns out the FF7 fans actually felt similarly
- Playing Theatrhythm and getting a music video of assorted FMV scenes with no context (why was Cloud in a wheelchair?!)
The rest was just video game culture osmosis, but a kind of wishy washy osmosis that led me to truly believe that Cloud was a brooding sadsack (granted, I HAD watched AC as mentioned).

I can't really pinpoint what it was that had FF7R pique my interest in the period after its release, was it the incredibly polarised reactions to its ending? Was it "the one man hype machine" Neiteio gushing to me over it? Did the demo Xtortion prompted me to try actually do its job? The answer is a bit of all of the above.
And still by all accounts, this shouldn't be here.
FF7R opens in bombastic fashion only to immediately ruin the mood with the most unintentionally hilarious amount of "anime grunting" that I'd start pondering if I'd set the audio track to "hentai". Perhaps this tonal fumble is a fitting analogue to Cloud Strife, a character who it turns out is an goober who tries to put on a COOL GUY façade, the first of many pleasant surprises in store for me to fight against my flawed expectations.
FF7R does absolutely stumble into a ton of issues I often take umbrage with, you've got the forced walk n' talk and "totally not loading" crevices and corridors. Despite a reduced run time compared to most of its genre it still feels like 10 hours of content could either be cut or demoted to the sidequest dimension, it's even blindingly obvious to me as someone new to midgar which named characters are new to this remake because come on, just look at them, Chadley!

Yet I could push through the plodding monkey bars, the crash mat worthy padding, those fifty flights of stairs (okay that was pretty funny) and bloody Leslie, because when FF7R is on form it's firing off full force that reminds me why a new game in this series was considered an event in days past.
The battle system strikes a strong middle ground between menu deliberation and real time combat, bouncing back and forth between the unique playstyles of the party members with an ease of execution and application that shouldn't be overlooked. And those boss battles, absolute spectacles of action accompanied by 7 minute plus long dynamic music tracks, each phase adding a new wrinkle as they build to a dramatic finish (apply this statement to both the gameplay and music if you will). The endgame run is worthy of the most intense character action game, heck there's a one on one boss fight that's like a JRPG tinged character action game, Square went all out with the bosses and as someone who tends to equate "JRPG boss fight" with "grinding" I couldn't be happier with the result, even if my oblivious self would wander into some with materia blindspots, (the Arsenal? More like the arsehole, always remember ALL your elements kids)

What surprised me most was how endearing the main cast was, while some aspects of Barrett's immediate loud and abrasive nature certainly raise some eyebrows in 2020, there's a lovable big lug of a proud papa in there whose passion and beliefs shine through with such vigour it makes me want to go commit some eco warrior crimes, find me on top of a London subway train, except I wouldn't do that because I'm a coward and train delays really rustle me something fierce.
I already touched upon Cloud but it's worth repeating how enjoyable it is to see this standoffish and rather self centred muggins be thrown into a ton of uncomfortable scenarios that pull back the curtain on the illusion of Cloud Strife *foreshadowing*
And Aerith, I was supposed to be in the clear here, I didn't grow up playing FF7 like most my age, I wasn't supposed to be ensnared by her easy-going charms, I got straight up waifu'd here and I ain't even mad.
Tifa is also a playable character in this game.

Sometimes I feel like FF7R is at its best in the odder moments or the quieter ones, when the more relevant than ever before Shinra sucking the planet dry plotline takes a backseat to the daily life in the slums or the wild sleaze of Wall Market, when you partake in zany minigames to earn your right to a fabulous dress.
I'll also commend the balls on Square to do what they did with the story, part meta analysis on remakes and fandoms, part building on (or continuing on) the legacy of the wider FF7 universe that doesn't shy away from the complexities within its offshoots.
And now I'm locked in for Square Enix's wild ride, I even went and got myself up to speed by finally tackling my PS1 FF7 blindspot, I'm ready to make all sorts of dramatic gasps and grunts at whatever awaits the future of these remakes.

4. Paper Mario: The Origami King

5uCld7Y.jpg

Paper Mario's pivot from simplified JRPG to a more hands on approach at puzzle adventure gameplay has certainly been a contentious decision, the game's developer interviews this year led to the stealth reveal of the nebulous shadow council of Mario franchise quality control, which leads to an interesting view of what limitations Origami King is shackled with compared to its freewheeling ancestors from a pre sticker star era. After the already divisive Super Paper Mario plane flew too close to the sun, Intelligent Systems have had to earn back the right to putting hats and names on Mario's now rigid bestiary, we're still a long way from even N64 Toad Town but it's amazing what sharp writing and just leaning into those limitations can do.

Now granted, for me this had already been proven by the flawed yet under-acknowledged and vilified Colour Splash, left seemingly to a dishonourable fate to perish with the WiiU alongside the few other yet to be ported first party titles of seemingly lesser value. Its legacy and improvements to the adventure paper Mario formula live on through Origami King, a title which improves further upon certain nagging issues, one of which went beyond simply flattening the creases.

And now is the part where I present to you my bold take, The Origami King offered arguably the best boss battles of 2020 and almost certainly the best boss battles of the entire series. An astounding bounce back after the "use this specific one use/quantity consumable item or die" approach of Sticker n' Splash's rightfully ridiculed boss design. To understand how this came about we must first address the base battle system, one that attempts to blend the turn based, timed hits formula of the series into an on the clock puzzle solving encounter. It's an inspired but imperfect system that has the potential to make every battle unique which doesn't work too well with the idea of trash mobs using up the limited formations even with a few enemy specific wrinkles thrown in, still its ring system sows the ground for boss battles to invert the formula with a lineup of more distinct encounters.

Moving from the center of the ring to the edge, Mario now has to reach the boss at the middle of the arena by using limited moves to create an optimal path using the very same board shifting scheme as the standard battle system yet with an execution that feels wholly different.
This core conceit is wonderfully manipulated by the league of stationary (yes, it's exactly what it sounds like) using their primary applications to modify the board, elastic bands change your direction, hole punched pits end your run if you fumble into them, tape limits your ability to move the stuck down segments of the board and so on. Of all the "it's paper" gimmicks this series has ever had this is Intelligent Systems finally splashing out on that luxury stationery set after a history of cheap notepads.
Throw in how character positioning and method of attack is key to nailing boss vulnerabilities and their phases changing before it gets one note, the battles lead to some experimentation that ties back to the game's central puzzle solving ethos, and when it comes time to end the fight it's probably gonna involve some satisfying WAGGLE, sometimes I am but a simple man who likes to shake his controller like a bit of a twat as the exclamation point on a well earned victory.

The Origami King delights in dropping Mario into another batch of absurdist scenarios, participating in a stage play that can't settle on a genre in front of an actually captive audience, a very literal whispering woodland and flat out turning into Paper Wind Waker for a chapter. No area of the game is quite alike to another one, and to me this is actually one of the core tenants of Paper Mario as a series, as much as timing your boots onto faces. Truthfully, after watching the sister series Mario & Luigi grind itself into a repetitive grave (RIP Alpha Dream) I'm glad that Paper Mario opts not to stagnate, even when it misses the mark with the likes of Super n' Sticker there's something to be said for trying new things and it turns out paper is pretty versatile as origami itself shows.

3. Hades

OlREAY2.jpg

Stop me if you heard this one before, I'm not big on rougelikes/lites due to their procedural and repetition focused design. I'm also someone whose never found Supergiant's previous works to be not much more than okay games elevated via strong presentation. And yet here I am absolutely loving Hades, a title that feels like the well earned culmination of building upon the devs previous works, this one is all style and all substance.

Hades is a game that had me stop to ponder a few things about roguelike design based upon the game's own merits. Its ability to weave plot and character threads around its central die and retry premise is among the most notable steps I've seen in video game storytelling for years, one that truly leverages the unique strengths of the medium and its genre to do something that can't be truly replicated by other forms of media. And from a gameplay standpoint, the idea that combat heavy games and especially character action games could leverage this format to create replay value and explore their combat systems without going by a linear stage by stage gameplay model.

Let's talk Hade's combat, because in a world where the quality of an action game among those into the genre and its offshoots is often focused on how deep the well goes, I find Hades offers a perfect alternative perspective of taking an easily approached core brawling system and building layers of variance and choice around it. The basics are simple, you've got a standard combo, a special move, a casting spell and a dodge. Around this base you augment it with Godly boons and alterations that can completely change how the same weapon is approached, the fact that each run will offer you limited options pulled out of an incredibly vast hat ensures you end up exploring all sorts of possibilities instead of falling back on the same tools.

Hades is the kind of game where you just have to compare what literally Godlike builds you've ended up with compared to your friends also playing the game, who in turn share their lineup of options that managed to make the best of an initially shaky situation. The sheer amount of mix and match is addictive, Hades is like being a kid at Pic and Mix but sometimes you just don't always get the options of jelly snakes and you instead dare to add white chocolate mice with your fizzy cola bottles, does and pic and mix still exist? Certainly NOT in this pandemic I'd hope.

The weapons are truly a display of quality over quantity, using the timing focused bow is of course massively different to wading in flailing with gauntlets, the shield offers a defensive offensive with all the kinetic frisbee action of the best Captain America action scene. The game always finds ways to incentivise mixing things up, the guiding hand of the developer deities is understated yet pretty excellent at manipulating you into reaching out of the comfort zone with a masterfully orchestrated collection of drip feeding and upgrade options. Us mortals were gifted with choice but you might be surprised at how often the powers that be carefully coerce you into experiencing the wider riches of the experience.

Oh cripes, there's characters to talk about as well! Look you've all seen those stupid sexy gods and goddesses, impeccably voice acted in a way that gives life to characters that are seldom seen beyond their ONE image with a few minor alterations. Now that's the power of well delivered dialogue right there, of which there seems to be an endless amount, you could convince me the voice actors get called up each month to throw a few new lines in and I'd instantly believe you.
In conclusion Hades is a game with crunchy action without crunchy development, absolute winner.

2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

9LvQ49p.jpg

At its very core, Ori is a game about movement.
Right from the literal jump you've got the lower arc compared to platforming counterparts that ensures Ori has to bound from surface to surface and nimbly slink up walls to achieve verticality, combined with the animation that conveys a sense of swiftness you have a character that embodies the art of woodland scampering. Playing as Ori is akin to looking out your window and seeing a skittish squirrel making its way from ground level to pinging from wavering tree branches in mere seconds, the game's environments now teem with greater life as the earth itself ever so slightly deforms from the weight of the creatures bounding along its surface, it's a meticulously crafted world in a game design sense but also one that never feels static and gamey in itself despite the impressive clarity of interactive elements in such a visually dense environment.

This is just me touching across the very base of Ori's movements, now we factor in the lithe acrobatics to his leaps, his twirling from springy fauna and the spin n' fling from outstretched branches to launch from like an acrobat. The forest is a playground for your traversal and the more you play the more various bits of the environment reveal themselves to be an accessory to your expanding options of clinging, grappling, launching and then some. You start the game hopping up stumps and utilising any outcrop to further your gradual ascension, by the end the game has become a perfect outlet for "the floor is lava" as your platforming repertoire allows one to laugh in the face of gravity as movement systems build of each other to make you a master of flight, but it's not really flight it's just platforming with style.

Maybe this all sounds a touch familiar to anyone who played The Blind Forest, and in truth it should be as Will of the Wisps is a sequel that iterates on this core in various ways that supplement it. These improvements basically hit a checklist of every main issue one could have with Blind Forest, Will of the Wisps arrives packing less linearity, much improved combat, boss fights, more involving skill/upgrade systems, NPCs and side quests. Blind Forest was a rather lonely game, Will of the Wisps brings more life into the forest and the quest feels more personal, especially for me because I have to save an adorable Owl from an abominable Owl, this is very important to me. More open to player expression as well with the expanded combat options and progression of the second half of the game,

Gonna quickly highlight the Wellspring as an excellent piece of level design, it's everything great about Ori crammed into one area. Gradually journeying through the water mill using both interior and exterior, staionary mechanisms going from one type of platforming to another as you turn more and more of the pieces back on and gain a strong new mobility tool in the grapple. Eventually leading to a crazy rotating room where the level design remains clear despite the constant shifting, capped off with one of the series oh so excellent chase sequences that puts you to the test with a frantic on the fly need to apply everything you learnt from the level design prior.

Alas there was some seeping poison in this paradise for me, the original release on a base Xbox One was littered with issues that massively impacted the enjoyability of that first play through. The waters are cleansed now and the absolute madmen even used Moon Magic ™ to make a switch port which I'd have considered the most looney of port begging after my initial struggle xbox one experience.

Will of the Wisps wraps a bow on Ori's story and gameplay, they perfected their formula and left an a hopefully enduring mark on an increasingly crowded genre, the gold standard for platforming within a metroidvania.

1. Spiritfarer

avPKKVB.png

Emotional manipulation in media is a heck of a thing, it can grab you, pull you in and elevate an experience beyond what it was prior and create a lasting memory. On the flipside, it can be overly expected, arriving with a sense of desperate inevitability and lead more to an eye roll than "something in your eye" if you're not buying what they're selling.
Video games can be particularly fertile ground for both sides of this equation due to the direct player input, I've played games that got me misty eyed at pretty standard story moments and others where the attempts to wring emotion had me just laugh because the brazen efforts had reached points of parody.

Spiritfarer's reveal trailer doesn't even hide that it's gonna be looking to collect player tears in a jar, the very premise of a game about assisting those passing over to the other side can only lead to loss and coming to terms with it, all delivered otherwise under a rather joyous Ghibli esque look that ensures you'll get to oscillate between jaunt and haunt.
By the time I'd sent off my last spirit, my floating fortress of perplexing architecture was now a mostly silent memorial to those gone, I'd never quite turned into a blubbering mess but onions may have been cut in the vicinity, hopefully not the NPC who is in fact an elderly onion.
There's something to be said for a game that taps into into that particular branch of the tearful tree where you're sad, but also kinda happy. Sometimes the departures offer closure, others led me wondering what more there was to know about a character and one case felt almost like a sudden betrayal reminding me just how someone you know can just vanish in an instant.

I'm not sure what genre Spiritfarer slots into, much like your seafaring ship it becomes something of hodgepodge that somehow manages to lean into its messy fit. At its core this is resource management outing, with a dash of adventure and a sprinkle of platforming.
I was surprised to find one of my favourite takes on ocean exploration in this game, setting your ship's destination to new islands and into unknown seas while using travel time to tackle microgames for resources or attending to spirits ensures that you're never just in a Wind Waker like waiting game. An addictive drip feed of content keeps an element of discovery and novelty despite the basic gameplay loop.

The platforming side fascinates me because this game doesn't need to have as fantastic game feel as it does, there's no threat, no dangerous death pits, yet Stella's gradually expanding tools for movement build upon playing with momentum. Sliding off a roof to gain speed while stylishly pirouetting off, launching into your wind catching hat glide, there are traditional 2D platformers that can't come close to how joyous this game can feel. The ziplines can lead to almost Sonic like bursts of acceleration and launch, all of this just for crossing NPC filled hub areas.

Also low key one of the funniest games of the year, the tone this game takes threw me for a loop, the shades occupying the map tend to be comically self absorbed, it can almost be a bit much at times with how many chuckles the game is trying to elicit, and then you send another spirit off through the gate and could really do with a pick me up.

It's tough for me to truly distil how this game ranks so highly for me, there's no doubt that while the various systems work great in tandem, they're not individually game changers. Progress is gated and occasionally confusing leading to me being asked for fried chicken for 5 hours of gametime as I try and find the character who'll trigger certain mingames for materials. Perhaps in an alternative universe there's a version of this game that's more replayable and more open to player expression or choice to lean into the city builder side of things.

While it's fun to spitball the same concept with alterations to make each players' experience more unique, the main thing here is that there is a specific scattershot story the devs wanted to tell, it's perhaps atypical for a title in this genre (of sorts) to be more laser focused and in turn that's kind of its own strength.
The journey is beautiful to behold, the detailed animation lends a magic to each action you take, right down to every spirit specific hug animation that completely sells the personality of the recipient. A true feel good title that doesn't shy away from the sorrows of life, one of the most fitting games for the tumultuous journey through 2020.

owl_tea.gif

1. [XBO] [Adventure] [Thunderlotus] Spiritfarer
  2. [XBO] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  4. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  5. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  6. [Switch] [Adventure] [adamgryu] A Short Hike
  7. [Switch] [Platformer] [Easy Trigger Games] Huntdown
  8. [PS4] [Platformer] [Mossmouth] Spelunky 2
  9. [PS4] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  10. [XBO] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4

Sep 14, 2018
DQ11 also has the ultimate rare distinction of a video game actually eliciting very real tears from my eyes, media can easily make me get watery eyes (too easily these days I find, I'm a sap) but that's like the glass ceiling of my emotional response. DQ11 meanwhile had me very puzzled when it caused the tears to actively find a crack in that glass and I responded like a confused robot, this isn't gamer rage? This is….a response...to a plot point...in a video game, is this ART?!
Was it a certain cutscene toward the end of act 2, about a certain red robed character? I cried there too and I'm like an anti crier lol.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 - Honestly, what can be said. It was the perfect remake you could hope for and one of the games of the generation. 9.5/10

Persona 5 Royal - Game of the generation no question. Amazing gameplay, music, story graphics, etc. However, FF7 is a brand new game so it has to be #1 on my list. 10/10

Animal Crossing New Horizons - Was a blast and still is to play. Helped get through the hard lockdowns. 8.5/10

WoW Shadowlands - Fantastic expansion for WoW. Love the new systems and overall design of the expansion. 8.5/10

RE3 - Although it was disappointing compared to RE2 2019, it was still very fun to play. 8/10

Trials of Mana - A good game that shines as well as the original but has some minor issues in every aspect that hold it back from greatness (unpolished VO, story, gameplay, graphics, etc.). 7.8/10

1. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  2. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  3. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  4. [PC] [MMORPG] [Blizzard Entertainment] World of Warcraft: Shadowlands
  6. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Trials of Mana

malingenie

Oct 29, 2017
  2. [PS4] [Platformer] [Sumo Digital] Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  4. [PS4] [Space combat] [Motive Studios] Star Wars: Squadrons

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
Animal Crossing kept me sane through losing my job at the beginning of quarantine.

Persona 5 Royal also kept me sane while waiting for my new job to start and feeling like a useless slob.

Hades is excellent, super well crafted. Played less than the above 2 but enjoyed it immensely.

2. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Spiritfarer : A super chill experience combining base building, life sim/management, light 2D platforming and exploration. Wrapped in beautiful presentation.

1. [PC] [Adventure] [Thunderlotus] Spiritfarer

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Animal Crossing New Horizons came at the exact right time for me. It kept me social in quarantine and it was really fun to play throughout the year. I've played other games in 2020 as well but this is the only one I want to write about I think lol.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 2020 belongs to Animal Crossing. Quite simply while I played other games this year, I didn't NEED any other game besides Animal Crossing this year. I could have easily and happily only had this one game, at times with my 1000hrs+ playtime it felt like I did do that! My whole family got into it, we all have our own islands and the experience has just been increased tenfold! Trading items, visiting each other for whatever reason, just the whole thing is so special to me. In New Leaf we did the same so it doesn't surprise me, but after such a long wait for the next in the franchise, New Horizons was well worth it. All the new items, features and crafting but still based on the back of 'normal' Animal Crossing gameplay - perfect! Being able to place furniture outside and terraform land/water now is simply a mega game changer, now its not just about designing my house exactly how I want it but finally my WHOLE TOWN/ISLAND! Again after such a long wait the hype for this game was real for us, and thankfully it really delivered. Nothing else in gaming this past year mattered to me as much, and I still happily play every day. :)

2. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - What a weird game, I really wasn't enjoying myself too much originally. Despite playing (and enjoying I think?) the first game I wasn't really feeling this one, I figured I guess the 'Warriors games' just aren't for me. Shallow gameplay with almost zero exploration was boring me. But I kept at it, got better at it, unlocked more moves and characters, became engaged with the story and unlocking/completing all the map - suddenly, I was really liking this game! 50hrs+ later and 100% completion and it's my second fav game of the year. Of course I love Zelda games so I was already invested, and its funny I remember thinking "LAME!" regarding the story twist when I got to that part, this isn't what I thought it was... but you know what? By the end of the story I was like ok well that was pretty darn cool anyway! I'm glad they went with it.

3. Super Mario Bros. 35 - A 'battle royale' game I'm actually good at! What an amazingly fun experience, I grew up on 2D Mario, Mario 1 was what made me become a gamer originally so of course I was curious about this. Being good at the game is one thing, but I had no idea I'd get THIS addicted to it though, hundreds of games and so many (:P) 1st place wins later all I can say is WHY ARE YOU TAKING THIS AWAY FROM US NINTENDO?!? The game should be built up and expanded, turned into a 'proper' release and supported for years to come with new content not thrown away after a couple of months. What a waste. I still hold out hope things change, but yeah its Nintendo so who knows? Amazingly fun game I really enjoy playing, give me more! Getting 10 wins in a row will always be one of my crowning achievements lol, can't believe I actually managed to do that!

4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - This year has been so crazy, I couldn't even remember if Ori 2 was from 2020 lol. As such a huge fan of the original of course I was excited for the sequel, and they didn't disappoint. The exploration and ability progression just as good as it was previously with the same insane emotional connection you get from the music/story all combined for a tight, fun Metroid-style adventure. Seriously GOOD.

5. Demon's Souls - Finally a remake of the game that started my Souls fandom! I really hoped we got a port of this game at some point so the original wasn't left stranded on the PS3 but they went above and beyond here giving it the FULL remake treatment. Amazing graphics, pretty much the most 'next gen' game around right now IMO but maintaining the gameplay I love, thankfully not tempted to mess with it too much and remain true to the amazing original. Basically the only thing I care about so far on the new consoles.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - The original Xenoblade is in my opinion the best JRPG we've had in generations, it was back on Wii and it still is today. Take an already amazing game/story and make it even prettier now, its how a remaster should be. Super enjoyable exploring a world that actually feels alive, fun battle system and great characters/story that's presented with AWESOME voice acting work (seriously some of the best) and quite frankly a top tier OST - one of the best games ever released.

7. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Other than the amazing OST I wasn't feeling this game for a lot of my playthrough, the battle system just wasn't clicking with me and I just pined for something more akin the old FFVII I loved before. Eventually, the more invested I became in the world and characters around me, the more I started enjoying myself and by the end, when the twists start becoming apparent I was like "Ok you got me, I'm in! Part 2 now please!" Tifa. <3

8. Super Mario 3D All-Stars - Rumored for what felt like forever, when it finally did come out what we got was 3 of the best Mario games of all time all put together in a wonderful pack! Playing Mario 64 in crisp clean graphics was a dream, having Mario Sunshine for the first time since the GameCube days allowed so many new players a chance to finally play it and Galaxy... well, what more needs to be said about its awesomeness? It's Mario Galaxy in HD!!! A must have collection for all Mario fans.

9. Astro's Playroom - I'm an old man so even though I'm fairly indifferent to the Playstation brand itself, I have lived all through and played all through it's history... so when it's presented this amazingly well the nostalgia featured in Astro's still appealed to me greatly. RIDICULOUSLY charming, everything about this 'tech demo' shouts quality. The Nintendo influence is obvious, and that's a good thing! Simple, fun, awesome - and free! Surprised me for sure, makes me wish the original was just a regular game so I could play it.

10. Trials of Mana - I've waited an eternity to play 'SoM2', and while just the SNES one finally translated was good enough for me, Trials of Mana was a welcome surprise all the same! The game shows you don't have to have an overblown budget to deliver a perfectly fine quality product. They managed to make a full on 3D remake while still remaining faithful to the original, right down to the 'retro' sound effects that still always put a smile on my face to hear. We need more games like this!

2. [Switch] [Hack and slash] [Omega Force] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  3. [Switch] [Platformer] [Arika] Super Mario Bros. 35
  4. [XBO] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  5. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  6. [Switch] [Action RPG] [MonolithSoft] Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  7. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  8. [Switch] [Platformer] [Nintendo] Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  9. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  10. [Switch] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Trials of Mana

Last edited:

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
  1. There is No Game: Wrong Dimension: This game absolutely nailed the fourth wall breaking humor with puzzles are super satisfying to solve and really clever.
  2. Paradise Killer: A game that rewards open world exploration and detective work, with a great soundtrack.
  3. VirtuaVerse: I'm a sucker for cyberpunk settings and this one is really nice in that it's not just neon cities, but varied locations.
  4. Urban Witch Story: I thought the dialogue was written really well in this game, especially considering it's translated from Spanish and is a free game.
  5. Lair of the Clockwork God: We were spoiled last year with super clever games that break the fourth wall in ingenious ways. A worthy sequel.
  6. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics: I didn't get gold in every game in this collection, but I did complete all of them, even Nine Man's Morris which I still don't understand.
  7. Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice: I would have never believed that we'd be getting a Leisure Suit Larry games in 2020 that wasn't awful. I's not without issues, but the introduction of Pi is welcome and it ends the series on a high note.
  8. Family: Taking the mechanics of Return of the Obra Dinn and translating them to alternative indie music scenes is really clever and works really well.
  9. Wingspan: A beautiful deck building card game that teaches you about birds and is fun to play both single and multiplayer.
  10. Murder by Numbers: The story is not the most interesting, but SCOUT is a great character and the Picross gameplay never gets old.

1. [PC] [Adventure] [Draw Me A Pixel] There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension
  2. [PC] [Adventure] [Kaizen Game Works] Paradise Killer
  3. [PC] [Adventure] [Theta Division] VirtuaVerse
  4. [PC] [Adventure] [Postmodern Adventures] Urban Witch Story
  5. [PC] [Adventure] [Size Five Games] Lair of the Clockwork God
  6. [Switch] [Party] [Nintendo] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  7. [PC] [Adventure] [CrazyBunch] Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry
  8. [PC] [Puzzle] [Owl_Skip] Family
  9. [Switch] [Card Game] [Monster Couch] Wingspan
  10. [Switch] [Visual Novel] [Mediatonic] Murder by Numbers

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Crusader Kings III - I made a much longer post about this for the PC GOTY, which I won't repeat here. So, I'll just say this: I think CK2 is one of the best games to ever come out. Period. CK3 is such a step forward, that it makes CK2 feel obsolete. How could it not be my GOTY?

Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth - to be honest, both Mask of Lies and Mask of Truth came out this year and they are both good. I even think Mask of Lies might be better than Mask of Truth. I just didn't really want to put down both games on my ballot. And Mask of Truth was already filled out by someone, so voting for it might be mostly out of laziness. I mostly treat them as one game, even if they originally came out year(s?) apart. The characterization is really done well throughout this series. When the game ended, I was filled with sadness about not seeing these characters again (I don't think the dokopan game was announce yet.) Also, RIP Keiji Fujiwara

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - I was initially skeptical about changing protagonists. Now, I feel like a fool. Ichiban is the protagonist we needed. I don't even really have the describe how good of a person he is despite so frequently being treated like trash (and just generally not being the sharpest tool in the shed.) The story is probably my favorite and the ending really hit me in the gut. The RPG gameplay could use some work (especially the AOE attacks that don't really tell you the range.) I don't really care though, I want more Ichiban.

Atelier Dusk Trilogy - So, these game are sold separately in Steam, so it's kind of weird to lump them all together here. I only picked up Shallie since it's the only one I haven't played. Escha and Logy is still the best in the trilogy, but I think Shallie does at least surpass it in pure gameplay. I also think it does more to justify having two different protagonists playthroughs. In E&L, I think they are together for literally the entire game unlike in Shallie where maybe the first third of the game are separate stories. The alchemy system is improved. They added something called chaining which the game does a rather poor job of explaining how it works and what it's useful for. Once you do learn those two things, it does make alchemy a much better 'puzzle', which is really what I want in my alchemy systems in this game.

Trails of Cold Steel III - I played through almost the entire Trails series this year, except for FC which I played like ten years ago. I did play Cold Steel before the other two Sky games, but it was alright. I did totally forget who Zane (Zin?) was though. I don't remember him at all from FC, but I assume he was there. Gameplay wise, I think Cold Steel III is a step above the previous Trails games. BP was kind of weird as a resource. You got it a lot and you were always using it for the same thing. There wasn't really much thinking involved with it. Now with the order system, you have to decide between whether you want to use BP for the Trails equivalent of an 'all out attack' or if you want it to use it to buff your party. Not only that, but there are so many different orders available, you might choose a different one depending on where you are at in the battle. I love RPG battle systems that give you non-obvious choices. I also love the characters in this game. What I do not love is the fucking ending. Cliffhangers are ok, but you have to at least end the scene properly. Cold Steel 1 did that. Cold Steel 3 did not. That probably bumped this game down in the list.

Half Life Alyx - This game brings up my bad memories of Ravenholm. Except that this is in VR. That's probably the reason I have not finished this game yet. However, I can tell that it is pretty good and I look foward to completing it in 2022. The immersion aspect is top-notch... which kind of sucks in a way because headcrabs are freaky.

Streets of Rage 4 - I have fond memories of playing Streets of Rage 2 in elementary. I probably wasn't very good. I'm certainly not good at this game. The music is top notch and you could probably convince me that every track was down by Koshiro. The style works pretty well. I don't really play a lot in this genre, so I don't really have anything to say. It got a Linux port, though, so that's always a plus in my book.

Desperados III - I haven't really gotten that much time to play this game, which is unfortunate, because it is really good. I like how it encourages the player to experiment with different ways of solving a problem. Actually, it really reminds me of what I see in Hitman streams where you can think of inventive ways to kill your targets. Unlike that game, however, this game has a very generous rewind feature, which lets you do a lot of trial and error. It also keeps the tension off, which allows for more fun and less stress from failure. Also, linux port.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot - Yea, so I know this game probably isn't very good. There are a lot of flaws with a lot of the gameplay aspects. And also, they seemed to not really put that much effort in the cutscenes the later the game got (except near the very end). I really loved it though, mostly because I just really love dragon ball. There is way too much fanservice for me to not love this game. I did every subquest just to squeeze out more from it. They update a lot of the music from the original series and honestly, most of them are better arrangments. Also, the vegetto v. buu cutscene was top knotch. I can't believe how boring they made Buu killing Babidi, though.

1. [PC] [Grand strategy] [Paradox Interactive] Crusader Kings III
  2. [PC] [RPG] [Leaf] Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
  3. [PC] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  4. [PC] [RPG] [Koei Tecmo] Atelier Dusk Trilogy Deluxe Pack
  5. [PC] [RPG] [Nihon Falcom] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
  6. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  7. [PC] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  8. [PC] [RTS] [Mimimi Games] Desperados III
  9. [PC] [Action RPG] [CyberConnect2] Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Here is my own list for 2020:

1. The Last of Us Part II: My expectations were high as I did not think TLOUS needed a sequel but ND surpassed them. Even though I guessed the direction the story was taking, I'm amazed at how everything comes together and how the whole team at ND executed everything almost perfectly. It's THE game of 2020 that I thought the most about last year and it left a big impression on me with a special mention for Chapter 38 and 39 that left me shaking.

2. Paper Mario: The Origami King: I am a newcomer to the Paper Mario franchise and I had the best time with it during the summer. I was charmed by everything from the writing to the universe and I enjoyed a lot the gameplay as it felt fresh to me. The music is also incredibly good, I was surprised at how good it was as I didn't expect it. I also went for 100% on this which I don't typically do for Nintendo games.

3. Astro's Playroom: What to say about this one? Astrobot Rescue Mission is my favorite PSVR title and Team Asobi delivered on all fronts a perfect introduction to the PS5 by delivering a celebration of the PlayStation legacy coupled with a lot of creativity and ingenuity I've expected from them. A joy to play and a nice introduction for experiences to game on the new platform!

4. The Wonderful 101 Remastered: I didn't play the original but I had a blast with this one. I was not prepared for the final chapter that kept firing on all cylinders. I'll have to add that the game is far from perfect with pacing and difficulty problems all throughout it but I have never played anything quite like it before.

5. Animal Crossing New Horizons : The pandemic happened and I eneded up playing this one with another person during our first lockdown. I never played the series before and it brought us so many smiles during these tough times. It is the perfect game for escapism.

6. Dreams: I love Media Molecule and they pushed all the right creativity buttons with Dreams. Art's Dreams is incredibly fun to play and the community is creating amazing content.

7. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout: A fun time for everyone involved. A very simple concept executed with just the right amount of chaos.

8. Star Wars Squadrons: Such a great time playing this one in VR. The title is solid with a surprisingly nice story.

9. Florence: A short and sweet story.

10. Spider-Man: Miles Morales: This one is less of a surprise this time around as I have played the first Spider-man from IG before but they still deliver an incredible experience. I can't wait to see where they will take the series next.

2. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  4. [Switch] [Action Adventure] [PlatinumGames] The Wonderful 101: Remastered
  6. [PS4] [Game Creation] [Media Molecule] Dreams
  8. [PS4] [Space combat] [Motive Studios] Star Wars: Squadrons
  9. [Switch] [Interactive story] [Mountains] Florence
  10. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Honorable mentions:

- Ace Combat 7 (I know it's a 2019 game, but I played it at the very beginning of 2020 and loved it)
- Paradise Killer, which is amazing and you should play it if you're into exploration/detective games
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Astro's Playroom
- A Short Hike

Top 10:

1. Ghost of Tsushima = Most fun I've had exploring a game world since Breath of the Wild. Fantastic Art Direction, stunning visuals/lighting, great presentation, interesting characters...love everything about it. Kinda jealous that some people are getting to experience it on PS5 for the first time.
2. The Last of Us Pt. II = Didn't manage to grab me as much as the first one (one of my all-time favs), but still breathtaking and an outstanding achievement.
3. Hades = What a game, can barely point at anything that could have been done better. Still picking it up from time to time.
4. Xenoblade Chronicles = Although I loved it on the Wii, I didn't love playing it on the Wii. Gobbled it up on Switch, one of the best JRPG of all time.
5. Nioh 2 = Just like its predecessor my fav Soulsborne "clone" and in fact my second favorite in the genre behind Bloodborne.
6. The Pathless = One of my sleeper hits of the year. Love the world, exploration, atmosphere and vibe in this. Check this out if you like Journey/Abzu, Shadow of the Colossus or Zelda.
7. Spider-Man: Miles Morales = Just an incredibly fun game and great PS5 showpiece
8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1&2 = A formative series for me at the time and I've been hungry for a good skateboarding game for a long time. Vicarious Visions did an excellent job here.
9. Huntdown = Man, this game is so good but seemingly flying under the radar for the most part. Stunning pixel art, fantastic soundtrack, great boss fights...actually a masterpiece, because I don't see what could have been improved here.
10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons = Haven't touched it in months, but due to spring/summer of last year and getting my wife and 5 year old son into it, it has to be on this list.

1. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  4. [Switch] [Action RPG] [MonolithSoft] Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  5. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Team Ninja] Nioh 2
  6. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Giant Squid] The Pathless
  7. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  8. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  9. [Switch] [Action] [Easy Trigger Games] Huntdown
  10. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons

ArmosNights

Jan 9, 2018
I played a lot of older games this year so I think my list is pretty short, but:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Had a great time with this game, even if I had a few issues (poor stealth, weird bugs, overly long). The exploration element on Pathfinder mode actually is the closest I've felt to the BotW exploration vibe that I've been looking for in other games.

Paper Mario: The Origami King: Definitely the best of the Sticker Star-era Paper Marios, with only a few gripes. I actually enjoyed the battle system which surprised me, and finding the Toads was less exhausting than I expected

Astro's Playroom: This game was awesome, I just wish it wasn't so short. I'd definitely want to play a full length Astro platformer, I think this team has the ability to make it and do it really well

Ghost of Tsushima: Really fun take on the AC-style stealth format, some of the side characters were really intriguing. I think there are some weird quality of life issues that should have been ironed out (too many things use R2, not able to open the map if UI animations are on screen) that grated at me over time, but the combat is fun and I did find a point where the game clicked for me.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons: Such mixed feelings on this game, I played it more than any other Switch game already and there is a lot of good memories associated with it already but there are some real gripes with how its evolved over time (or how it hasn't). Still waiting for ordinances :(

Immortals Fenyx Rising: Fun and I enjoy the genre but didn't really stick out to me as much as I was hoping it would. A few too many of the vaults rely on the same puzzle format which has made me enjoy them less than I did with the BotW shrines.

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout: I actually really enjoyed this for the month-ish I played it but it wore down on me. Somehow I feel like Fortnite's progression was easier to stick to because you had a higher chance of lasting longer so you felt more invested. In Fall Guys it's pretty easy to get kicked out early which isn't ideal.

1. [PS5] [Action RPG] [Ubisoft] Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  2. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  4. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  6. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Immortals Fenyx Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.