• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://sagamer.co.za/2018/12/14/sa-gamer-awards-2018-game-of-the-year

And here we are, finally. 2018 was a rollercoaster of a year and it started off with quite a significant disadvantage. 2017 was one of the best years in gaming ever and to follow it up seemed like an impossibility. However, 2018 wasn't scared to show its teeth and gave us some groundbreaking and incredible experiences that would stick with us for years to come. It was a year of soaring highs and some pretty miserable lows (mainly Fallout 76), but in the end, we have this smorgasbord of excellence and picking one game out of the horde was a monumental undertaking.

But after some passionate words and some good old-fashioned democracy, we reached our ultimate winner.

And that is none other than:

God of War

Runner-Up: Red Dead Redemption 2

Honourable Mentions: Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Forza Horizon 4, Celeste, Monster Hunter: World, Marvel's Spider-Man, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
SA Gamer

tenor.gif

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Can someone explain to me how GOW dominates over the impressive scope of Red Dead 2? Haven't played GOW but happy to see story beat out scope if that's what is happening here.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
I've played a couple hours of god of war, what is it that makes it GOTY so often, I didn't expect it to be so unanimously loved, so far to me it seems like a standard linear action game, am I very wrong about that?

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
First of all congrats to GOW, my personal GOTY and I hope it gets all the awards it deserves.

Second of all, are we really going to get a thread for every publication that gives GOTY awards?
Last year they were about 300 or more sites and papers that gave awards, are expecting about 300 threads here?

This is silly.

Last edited:

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me how GOW dominates over the impressive scope of Red Dead 2? Haven't played GOW but happy to see story beat out scope if that's what is happening here.
The gameplay in GOW makes RDR2's gameplay look and feel amateur and downright shitty. So many people who haven't played GOW think it's a narrative focused game - this is so ridiculous since GOW's gameplay is likely the best of the generation, and one of the best of all time. So that's how GOW is dominating RDR2.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
All the great games this year and it's GoW and RDR 2 that are continually brought up as the very best. Baffles my mind, the obsession with big budget, cinematic games. It's generally the complete opposite with film in awards.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Well deserved, RDR2 dragged on to much and the controls were the embodiment of riding a horse without reins.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They're both cinematic games but GoW has passable gameplay. Good gameplay even. RDR 2 is one of the worst controlling and playing AAA games in probably 10 years. It actively goes out of its way to spite the player if they attempt something as simple as trying to pick up an item.

Status
Not open for further replies.