• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Now you may have clicked on this thread wondering what in the heck I mean by a BRASS EXPLOSION, well let's demonstrate...

So you're playing Rondo of Blood, just strolling across some bridge whipping mermen in the face, maybe you're thinking the music is pretty energetic compared to other stages, otherwise though it's nothing too out the ordinary for a vania jam.
But you have no idea what's coming, suddenly something starts building and then just past 40 seconds in, it can no longer be contained and the newfangled audio powers of the PC engine erupt with mighty horns that other consoles of the time could only dream of, the moment that cements Cross a Fear as a classic vania track.

dafiwsm-c6c5e4e3-17ba-43a0-8c76-08a093c80e75.gif

Despite the obligatory picture that would accompany a David Wise OST reveal of the man himself busting out that sax, it's not something that actually pops up too much in his previous OST work and when you try to remember any times in particular you get uncomfortable recalling Fox McCloud's lusting over an imprisoned Krystal.
Anyway, it's 2014, (or maybe 2018 because you were smart enough to see the WiiU's inevitable failure) and as an individual with fine tastes you're partaking in some Tropical Freeze.
Busted Bayou's got this funky vibe on point, you've gone through one musical loop so you think you know what's coming as the track builds up to finishing another round of its main melody, more chill steel drums surely. SAXOPHONE SWERVE, the Wise man cometh with the saxy surprise and tears of joy well up, welcome back you magnificent musical man.

Oh yeah, I know metallic madness, I've played Sonic CD...
Tee Lopes laughs at your naivety.
All of a sudden everyone likes metallic madness zone a lot more than they used to, complete with Dr Eggman's good clean rap

829.gif

So basically post more like this

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Man, that Castlevania track is making me even more sad about how disappointing the music was in Bloodstained ROTN. It's not bad, it's just nowhere near the previous Castlevania tracks.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Travis Strikes Again has a sax section in the Smoking King boss fight that happens 7 minutes into the song. It is impossible for this fight to last this long so this track has a section that most don't even know to exist. Real sax by a real live saxophonist too

(6:50)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

It already has a pretty cool sax part at the beggining, but at the 3 minute mark, ohhh boyy.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, ok OP. That Castlevania track is pretty badass.
Will search my mind for some Brass break downs.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
WII U Era Nintendo Soundtracks

Non-game Bonus: Dragon Ball Super: Brolys' Final Battle theme (2:40 mark)

OP
OP
Nocturnowl

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
3D World is among the best mario soundtracks, though its big band influence is front and center so it's less surprise and more all in on the brass.

It already has a pretty cool sax part at the beggining, but at the 3 minute mark, ohhh boyy.

Ohhh good pick, the original bloody claws theme has some of that brass explosion but this is like the bigger and bolder sequel

Superbearded

Feb 26, 2018
Italy
Well... MSR has many tracks with a brass explosion!

Here's my favourite one, which has both a brass and a sax explosion (at 1:34, then again at 2:37):

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
Quick musicological nitpick: Despite being made of brass, the saxophone is generally categorised with the woodwinds because of its method of sound production using a single reed, derived from the clarinet.

But I like your jam, so I'm happy to hear more sax trax anyway!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It' a primarily jazz based OST anyway, but Marvel Vs. Capcom 2's Swamp Stage has a fantastic one 35 seconds in:

The Rainbow Curse arrangement of Moonlight Capital from Kirby Triple Deluxe has a small, but really nice one only a few seconds in

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
(main scenario spoilers for Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers latest patch)

What starts out a rearrangement of the Sastasha dungeon theme takes a jazzy turn around the 40s mark.

OP
OP
Nocturnowl

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Quick musicological nitpick: Despite being made of brass, the saxophone is generally categorised with the woodwinds because of its method of sound production using a single reed, derived from the clarinet.

But I like your jam, so I'm happy to hear more sax trax anyway!
I almost didn't make this thread because I knew my lack of actual music knowledge would trip me up somewhere, but I didn't want to limit it to just sax (or what my ears assumed to be sax)
Good to know I was right to assume my own fumble.

In any case I appreciate the correction

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all of the Incredible Crisis soundtrack. One of my favorite game soundtracks ever. I guess it's not sudden brass explosions as much as constant brass explosions.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Busted Bayou is one of the best gaming tracks of the last 10 years.

I guess this fits the bill:

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017

The Genesis in P4 despite being real long and slow is one of my favorite tracks on the whole P4 soundtrack. That long build up leading all the way to an orchestral rendition of the song you've been hearing repeatedly the whole game was probably the one and only time I can recall feeling a strong sense of nostalgia for a game before I even hit the credits.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
One of Uematsu's contributions to the FFXV Comrades expansion of all things.

Brass and woodwinds trade-off and crescendo a bit between 3:30 and 4:20, but right after that, oh man..