• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think we might be getting mobile phone levels of app switching. Which would be amazing
How cool would it be if you were able to use the mic in the DualSense to launch a game from a cold boot.

- Hold the PS button.
- Microphone picks up on "play Kena".
- You're in the game in 2-3 seconds.

Is that expecting too much? That's the dream.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How cool would it be if you were able to use the mic in the DualSense to launch a game from a cold boot.

- Hold the PS button.

that should be the case. The PS4 had the ability to talk to the system using your mic to launch games. pressing R2 and speaking on the XMB it gave options. so mic in the controller def has to be in play.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Haven't people here been saying constantly that cross gen holds things back and you can't have a game fundamentally different?

Sounds like it has. The changes they've made is just more detail on screen. That's great, but I expect more from next gen games. Still picking this up on PS5 cause it looks great though.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017

- Hold the PS button.

Actually that sounds 100% doable.

I honestly think I'm most excited about the QoL improvements of next-gen than anything else.

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
Once again, load times and haptics.

feels like devs are on a bit of rope and limited to what they can say and need to hit marketing beats

It's getting a little tiring

edit: article goes into a few game specifics which is good to read. Feels like sometimes The tech is getting in the way of the game for these launch window titles
Can´t wait for all the games that are just going to be flat planes because climbing mountains/rocks would hide load times and no building has a door because doors/gates are also hiding load times

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Can´t wait for all the games that are just going to be flat planes because climbing mountains/rocks would hide load times and no building has a door because doors/gates are also hiding load times

The reason they use trees, rocks, and mountains to block your view is cause they're the same old assets used constantly throughout the map. What I wanna see is dense cities filled to the brim with life and unique assets.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's fine too. Maybe still 8-10 hours for me tho cuz this looks really pretty and I'll probably take my time enjoying the scenery lol

To be honest, game estimates never mean anything to me. I remember reading in the Ghost of Tsushima thread how people beat the game in 20-25 hours. I literally sunk 25 hours into the game in Act 1 alone. My total playtime was about 50 hours or so, possibly longer.

Most 10-15 hour game experiences end up taking me upwards of 20-30 because I tend to take my time and just absorb the setting, especially if it's a visually compelling setting, or the gameplay loop is so fun I'm just having a good time roaming around or fighting or collecting shit or whatever.

This game definitely grabbed my attention with its art design and visuals, so now I'm just hoping the gameplay is as enjoyable as it looks.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

- Hold the PS button.

If the system is already on, they should give you the option to do this without needing to press/hold the PS button.

Just "Ok PlayStation, start Kena"

Oct 27, 2017
If the system is already on, they should give you the option to do this without needing to press/hold the PS button.

Just "Ok PlayStation, start Kena"
You can already do that, since 2014, with any microphone, even ones connected to the DS4, you can just say "PlayStation, play Uncharted 4", etc
www.howtogeek.com

30 Voice Commands You Can Use on Your PlayStation 4

Sony’s PlayStation 4 has voice commands, just like the Xbox One. They’re just not as heavily advertised. PS4 voice commands work with a standard headset, so you don’t need any special hardware–unlike the Xbox One, which requires a Kinect for voice control.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
You can already do that, since 2014, with any microphone, even ones connected to the DS4, you can just say "PlayStation, play Uncharted 4", etc
www.howtogeek.com

30 Voice Commands You Can Use on Your PlayStation 4

Sony’s PlayStation 4 has voice commands, just like the Xbox One. They’re just not as heavily advertised. PS4 voice commands work with a standard headset, so you don’t need any special hardware–unlike the Xbox One, which requires a Kinect for voice control.

Yeah... and the Duel Sense has a built in microphone this time. So yes, I expect it.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cold booting from system UI to the game in 2 seconds is insane.
That's CRAZY. A good deal of marketing for the PS5 should be several videos of people bounding from game to game faster than app jumping on a mobile phone.

And this game wasn't even originally designed for the PS5.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Fuck. The days of making sandwiches and taking a potty break during load times are over. This new generation of consoles is garbage. Thanks, Obama!

Like most new console launches, I feel like this game is going to sell, regardless of quality, simply because it's so beautiful to look at. With that said, just because a developer doesn't have a track record of previously shipped games, doesn't mean they can't make a quality game as their first outing. And it's not like dev teams are scraped together from the bottom of a bucket, so it's possible the team actually working on the game are experienced game developers.

With the scope of the game seemingly not overly massive, that also makes me optimistic, in that it implies the team has a tight focus on the kind of game they're making, and aren't over-reaching in terms of scope. Like, they aren't tackling some open world sandbox rpg with branching storylines and complex mechanics. It seems charmingly straight forward and simple, and that's part of the appeal to me beyond just the gorgeous art design and animations. I'm cautiously optimistic, is what I'm saying. XD