• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The last time I heard "Don't like it don't buy it" it didn't really end up all that good but keep on fighting the good fight. Shield these megacorps from criticism 👍🏾
Do you know who owns Game Informer? A Corp that depends on you preordering the next console from these megacorps, they want the hype so you buy. But you keep fighting in this grassroots movement you've going on here.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
So you think both companies are lying and we aren't getting the consoles this year? If things are as bad as you say, certainly that must be the case. Again, they continue to say we are getting them on time. Given that, should we not expect marketing of those products?
As with most businesses at this time, they state their current plan (which is to launch this year) for obvious reasons and maybe even to keep insurance policies and contracts on the hook while wringing their hands about just what the fuck is even possible in private. Nobody has any idea what kind of effect a second global wave of the virus in autumn/winter would mean. How can you promise a global launch if entire countries are locking down without stores.

Also, marketing doesn't just materialise by itself. Making trailers and things will be taking torturously long in certain work-from-home setups, all while trying to avoid stuff leaking all over the place. The sooner they start full marketing, the runaway train begins and 'promises' are made. People are strangely assuming that Sony missed a February unveil because of past precedent, when that may never have been the plan at all. Insiders are often full of shit.

Triply to all this, making a "we don't know everything about these consoles!!" article before its even the space of time E3 used to occupy is such empty bleating nonsense. If its September and we know nothing about launch games and prices, sure, thats time to get antsy and 'demand' answers. It's goddam May.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Complaining about not getting fast enough information six months before launch and in the middle of a global pandemic is pretty tone deaf IMO

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Yeah...lol Game Informer. Heard of COVID19 and how it's turned the ENTIRE WORLD upside down? I can't believe next gen is actually releasing this year but they still say it is. Same with Zelda - do i want it this holiday? hell yes. Are we getting it this year? Probably not.
Some things are more important than others. Be patient. The systems will come. But the world really needs a chance to get back on its feet before we start worrying about non-essential entertainment...

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I feel like, overall, we know more about next gen now than we did at this time back in 2013. I guess maybe we've seen less games from Sony? They had shown ~8 games. 4 were cross-gen cross-platform and 4 exclusives.

Xbox wouldn't officially announce specs of the xbox one until May 21st and wouldn't show games until June.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Article is spot on. I've never seen all of the gaming market leaders simultaneously produce such an incompetent display of marketing.

Sure, somebody usually drops the ball, but it's incredibly novel for nobody to pick it up.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
The annoying drip feed style marketing isn't new so im not going to pin it on COVID entirely as to why their marketing schedule isn't that great. The pandemic affects how and when they show and tell. It doesn't affect what they show and tell (unless the consoles are delayed)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brees2Thomas

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Complaining about not getting fast enough information six months before launch and in the middle of a global pandemic is pretty tone deaf IMO
Well, if you think these promotion schedules have been altered by the pandemic, I could see how you could feel this way. For the most part, I think the timing is pretty much the same as it would be without the pandemic. Certainly the way the info has been presented has changed, but I don't think we'd have more information on the two consoles at this point if 2020 had gone off without a hitch.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not concerned about it because by the end of July I'm sure we'll have all the info we need about both consoles and their launch line-ups. At that point it'll still be several months until launch. There's plenty of time and we don't "need" more clarity right now. Would it be nice? Yeah, it would, but it's coming. They aren't purposely withholding info just to do it. Clearly they want us to be excited, it's just a matter of when they choose to do reveals.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
No we don't. Even if there weren't a pandemic right now it's their product and they decide when and how they wanna show and market it. Likewise, we vote with our wallets.
We aren't entitled to anything.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
What does it matter if you know everything now or in 4 months? Be patient, you are not entitled to any info.
Are you aware that people go to school for 6 years to attain a degree in marketing and are hired by companies like MS and Sony to do just that? I know it's crazy but marketing is a very important part of launching a new console or any new product. Sorry for asking for the bare minimum when we're nearly 6 months into the year.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even with the pandemic Sony could confirm simple stuff like if on their system crossgen titles are also crossbuy.

It feels strange that there's still uncertainty when PS4/PS5 titles are already being announced.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This reads more like "Gameinformer needs content so were going to complain that we are not given content"

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
This is a goofy article that doesn't really make its case. Also this:
I hope Microsoft and Sony open the floodgates to show us everything these machines are capable of.
is a really funny sentence. I just picture someone at either of those companies reading that sentence and sarcastically responding "No we were just going to fuck off until November and launch with nothing."

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess there's no need to go to school for marketing then. That's a great way to put it
What does that have to do with anything I said? Why don't you try to answer the questions I asked you instead of avoiding them. I don't care what you study, I'm talking from a consumer standpoint while you seem more interested in the marketing/shareholder point of view.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
What rubs these journalists the wrong way is not the lack of news but the fact that both Sony and Microsoft decided to exclude news outlets from their marketing plan and rely on a direct-to-consumer approach through these videos and blogposts.
So they try to remind people of their existence by producing these concern-filled, consolewar-enabling, clickbait articles that read pretty much like a forum post made for free.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Article is spot on. I've never seen all of the gaming market leaders simultaneously produce such an incompetent display of marketing.

Sure, somebody usually drops the ball, but it's incredibly novel for nobody to pick it up.

Sure would hate having you as a boss during a pandemic and having to adapt to working from home.

OP
OP
Brees2Thomas

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I feel like, overall, we know more about next gen now than we did at this time back in 2013. I guess maybe we've seen less games from Sony? They had shown ~8 games. 4 were cross-gen cross-platform and 4 exclusives.

Xbox wouldn't officially announce specs of the xbox one until May 21st and wouldn't show games until June.
We know the specs for both machines. We don't know yet why those specs matter.
This is a goofy article that doesn't really make its case. Also this:

is a really funny sentence. I just picture someone at either of those companies reading that sentence and sarcastically responding "No we were just going to fuck off until November and launch with nothing."
well, considering most of these launch title games will be playable on the current-gen consoles, we've seen nothing as far as showing us why we should upgrade. And in an economic recession, that's gonna matter big time. Both companies need to hit it out of the park in this regard during the summer reveals.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Quite. When you have companies like Apple who literally announce all the details of their iPhone line once and 3-4 weeks before launch. It's laughable that they need all this info so soon. Lol.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This pandemic is exposing how impatient and entitled gamers are. These companies owe us absolutely nothing regarding news / information relating to the toys they make.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working on the timeline that anything substantial revealed before mid June (E3 timeframe) is a gift. Working with the fact that both have to at some point are have to take preorders. I came into this year not expecting an info blowout until June. As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft has been showing too much too early.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're coming out this year and they'll have exclusive games.

Oh no, you haven't seen what the box looks like? Who gives a shit Jesus Christ

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Microsoft has been the most upfront communicative and forth coming with details more so than ever so I'm confused why they are included in this.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Sure would hate having you as a boss during a pandemic and having to adapt to working from home.

This started a long time before Covid-19 was having any impact anywhere.

Maybe now chickens are coming home to roost the pandemic is making it difficult to course correct, but that's only a problem because the course needed correcting in the first place.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care what billion dollar conglomerates wants, I do however find the "I have to buy day1 please give me a reason" attitude a lot of gamers have gross.

You're missing the point. They enjoy touting their pre-order numbers, but then want to give as little information as possible to consumers who would pre-order their consoles. No, I don't HAVE to buy Day One. But if they WANT people to do so, then yes they should give a reason? How is that hard to understand.

The last time I heard "Don't like it don't buy it" it didn't really end up all that good but keep on fighting the good fight. Shield these megacorps from criticism 👍🏾

All facts.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
What does that have to do with anything I said? Why don't you try to answer the questions I asked you instead of avoiding them. I don't care what you study, I'm talking from a consumer standpoint while you seem more interested in the marketing/shareholder point of view.
I'm not gonna waste my time answering a stupid hypothetical like the one you asked me because it's not what they're gonna do. These companies have obligations and it's not entitlement to want to know what these consoles are capable of and what we're gonna get especially when we're the ones buying them.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

This marketing strategy of drip feeding micro-details started well before the pandemic, so it's hard to call it an adaptation.

The pandemic didn't cause Sony to hype up a PS5 reveal, just to have it be a logo that looked almost identical to the current one. It didn't force Microsoft to inexplicably announce the name "Series X" but the refuse to explain if there would be multiple series of consoles. These are unforced errors.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Show me the games. Show me what the hardware can do. I need to know what's coming next if you want me to be excited. I'm sure I will be, but I just need to know what the next-generation is.

games are not ready and are probably pushed back. It is pretty obvious. You get enhanced cross gen for a year, maybe 1-2 barely "nextgen" games at best regardless even in normal times. What's even a nextgen game really? The idea that you get a hard reset on games and their technology is very outdated. We are not even getting a new iteration of Unreal Engine (UE5) which usually coincided with launch of new consoles, instead UE4 is also cross gen! It just doesn't make sense to toss what you have any more. Everything is continuously developed and gradually will get better. You won't see much of a leap right away outside of resolution and framerate and there is ray tracing which makes a notable difference but still the current games already look very good in comparison. Give it like two years, then you will see things that are notably better.

Go look at the kind of games we had in 2014. Dragon Age Inquisition or Mordor didn't look very impressive even then. So yeah prepare to be disappointed for a while.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
It's clear that first-party studios still need some time and tbh i expect rather bare bones launch from both, MS and Sony. Some games will get delayed until Q1/Q2 2021.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're missing the point. They enjoy touting their pre-order numbers, but then want to give as little information as possible to consumers who would pre-order their consoles. No, I don't HAVE to buy Day One. But if they WANT people to do so, then yes they should give a reason? How is that hard to understand.
Why should I care about any of that, let them tout their preorder numbers or don't, what difference does that make to me? Info now or in 3 months why should I care, all this covid have given some too much time on their hands and have seemingly made them very impatient. Are you concerned for the big companies or for yourself as a consumer?
I'm not gonna waste my time answering a stupid hypothetical like the one you asked me because it's not what they're gonna do. These companies have obligations and it's not entitlement to want to know what these consoles are capable of and what we're gonna get especially when we're the ones buying them.
And they will tell you those things, but I guess unless it follows your schedule it's not good enough. Either way I'm done discussing this with grown adults that gets annoyed because companies wouldn't show them what their next video console looks like when they thinks it's appropriate.

Last edited:

Mark It Zero!

Apr 24, 2020
We know the specs for both machines. We don't know yet why those specs matter.
As has been the case with every single generation of consoles, because developers will have more power to do even crazier stuff for us to play. If you are saying it because the first couple years will be full of crossgen games, then the lure of new consoles is to play a better version of them be it through framerate improvements, IQ, loading times whatever.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
All the people complaining about Sony not showing the box realize they didn't show the PS4 box until E3 2013 (aka June) correct?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I think MS has been doing a pretty good job. We've actually seen the specs, the console, games running on it etc. I'm guessing next month we'll know the price and in July we'll see first party games. Not sure what else is expected? Just one big blowout and then nothing?

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
NEED is a big stretch.

They haven't asked us to give them our money yet. Once a preorder link hits, yeah, you need to pull back the curtain if you want us to invest.

At this point, we've seen the PS5 controller, the Xbox Series X hardware, and a few clips of games. Everyone just needs to relax, it'll come.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
Why should I care about any of that, let them tout their preorder numbers or don't, what difference does that make to me? Info now or in 3 months why should I care, all this covid have given some too much time on their hands and have seemingly made them very impatient. Are you concerned for the big companies or for yourself as a consumer?

And they will tell you those things, but I guess unless it follows your schedule it's not good enough. Either way I'm done discussing this with grown adults that gets annoyed because companies wouldn't show them what their next video console looks like when they thinks it's appropriate.
I'm done bickering with grown adults who get angry when their favorite company is criticized.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather hear about this when it's close to launch. Tired of the time gap between the announcement/reveal and the launch. Shit need to be revealed and ready for sale in 3 weeks.