• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I thought it would be tough to pull off because it might clash with the established lore in Kingdom Hearts...
thierry-henry-smile.gif

Mar 19, 2020
I loved KH1 and 2 when I was younger. FF crossed with Disney is what I bought into but I had absolutely no interest in 3 and the story is so hard to keep up with.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
less disney focus would be nice, ill believe it when i see it.
Yes, I for one am long awaiting the day that Kingdom Hearts finally completes its metamorphosis into a generic ass JRPG with a plot that is basically Nomura huffing his own farts for 25 hours.
For real. No one gives a fuck; it's Smash Brothers. None of the other folks being there make any sense lmao
There are some cool things done with other characters in the game, e.g. Ryu's smash attacks working better as combos like in SF, but that sentence is incredibly laughworthy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly kinda glad I stopped being super invested in the series after BBS,
Its beyond lost the plot and Nomura seems like he wants to take it further and further away from what it sold people as(Disney x FF)

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I still think the lack of Squall and co. was a bad decision in KH3. They weren't just fun cameos but important characters in KH1 and KH2 and good friends of Sora. Hell, KH2 is mostly filler outside of the start, end, and the very middle of the game in RG and the Final Fantasy characters are all very present in the story during that middle portion. As long as those guys are there in some capacity, I'll be happy

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Agreed but maybe he introduces new ones
I honestly think the OCs have gotten worse as the series goes on

Sora and Riku are such cool guys. Kairi? well...this exchange kinda sums of Kairi
unknown.png

organization 13 are edgy anime villains but they're all distinct and pretty badass

the BBS trio are kinda dumb but they're kids so it's whatever

and the foretellers are just awful really

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Nomura pretty much confirms less Disney worlds than KH3 here:

He states there will be "a few" before saying that because of the graphical quality of gaming keeps getting better and better, they can do a lot of cool stuff but the graphical quality being better means they can't create as many worlds as they were able to in the past because it takes up more resources.
Nah fuck this.
I'd rather have "ok" graphics with a lot of worlds rather than the opposite.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
The Foretellers have literally nothing going for them, it's amazing. They don't have interesting designs or personalities, they're just the absolute textbook definition of bland. They make Vexen and Lexaeus look like Larxene by comparison.
I actually don't remember the last time I enjoyed a new character written by Nomura.

I can't say the ffxv boys even though I love them because Nomura was taken off the project and they talk and act like humans beings so you can tell Nomura didn't write them

How much was he involved with stranger of paradise's story? If he was super involved than I'd be down with more OCs after liking the chaos killer crew

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is why KH is great and worth playing, not Nomura adding X letter to people's names and making Naruto plotline.

d0f.jpg

0f9.png

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars is 100% happening. like it's not even a question anymore.

Marvel... they might be able to do some shit with IW/Endgame but ehhhh marvel's so big and filled with characters that they can save a lot of them for KH5 lol
Nah. Sora gonna join the Young Avengers. And that movie is gonna be canon to kingdom hearts lore.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Not looking good for FF. I don't like most of the KH original characters and they keep making more while simultaneously never killing off any of them and finding excuses for them to come back to life lol.

I'm still excited for the game but that's one aspect that bothers me (other than the increasingly convoluted story telling and weak character writing).

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Loving everything he's saying in this interview. The FF side has been limited to a select few and I think as long as they remain I'll be satisfied. Cloud and Sephiroth must be in this tho.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
I mean... I don't really get why characters like Noctis and Lighting can't be introduced in quadratum in addition to Strelitzia, as characters that help Sora along the way. Just like Leon and Aerith did on Traverse Town.

That's the thing, at some point Nomura decided that the job of these supporting characters should be done by 100% original characters.
I think that's what he's alluding to when he mentions KH characters standing their ground alongside Disney IP - he considers the franchise big enough on its own that its original characters can take more of a center stage. That said, I think we'll see a couple of cameos this time at least.

It's pretty clear at this point that Nomura mostly just wants to play with his own toys

The crossover stuff doesn't matter to him as much anymore
I think so, too. It's become kind of his long running shounen manga. Crossovers aren't as much of a big deal as they used to be anyways - might as well make it weirder and more meta.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sora is totally gonna reference Smash Bros at some point in KH4, isn't he? It probably canonically happened during the week he spent asleep in Quadratum.

the BBS trio are kinda dumb but they're kids so it's whatever
Aqua and Terra are in their twenties. Obviously they've had a very sheltered upbringing, but it still makes the parts where they're acting like kids tough to get through.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
Sora is totally gonna reference Smash Bros at some point in KH4, isn't he? It probably canonically happened during the week he spent asleep in Quadratum.
"The darkness may destroy my body, but it can't touch my heart. My heart will stay with my Smash Bros.™ It'll never die!"

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the FF characters will ever play as much of a role in the plot as they did in KH1 but that's completely okay. I'd still enjoy getting them as cameos and as boss fights.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This really confirms that Nomura is hijacking this IP so it's going to be less and less what its essence was.
I already skipped 3 because it went into a direction I didn't like, and it's pretty much confirmed it's going even more into it now. Even Disney is having less and less presence.
3 was Kingsom Hearts through and through, get outta here.

Nomura is the brainchild behind the IP, it's essentially his. He's always been the driving force so he's not hijacking anything.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Some nice bits of info here, was interesting to hear Disney seemed more supportive of Sora ans it was more Nomura who was picky.
One point that confused me though was about liking seeing the reaction he hoped for to Xigbar/Braig being Luxu, which I thought I remember reading him saying in an older interview he doesn't know why people are surprised ha. Maybe mistranslation or meant as a joke ha.
Other thing that I'm confused about is when the graphic potential rises, the viable world selection lessens? How does that make sense? Surely 2D worlds can still be picked. Hope this doesn't mean only real-life/3D animations are the only options now. (My Treasure Planet hopes..)

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it was Nomura and not Disney that was holding up Sora being in Smash made me sigh out loud

My god this man is just.. exhausting

convo

Oct 25, 2017
People who think FF is not being represented should stop pretending that Yozora isn't the Final Fantasy Versus 13 guy made manifest through Nomura's pure rage.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Nomura meddling is probably why Kirby don't use Sora keyblade then. That pretty funny
It's either a Nomura or Disney thing. In a FF mobile game (FFRK) he's involved with, he was able to give that game's gacha fanfic OC Jack of all trades character an Organization coat outfit and a Dive into the Heart sequence (something that was not extended to FFBE's KH Collab for example) but not the ability to wield keyblades (they were classed as their own equipment type and not swords) even tho the gacha fanfic character in question can use Barret's gun arms or Red XIII's hair combs/pins Lulu's dolls and Setzer's gambling gear as weapons.

Its either a big deal to Nomura or Disney that only the chosen can wield keyblades and it seems to be a non-negotiable thing that even Kirby can't circumvent lol.

People who think FF is not being represented should stop pretending that Yozora isn't the Final Fantasy Versus 13 guy made manifest through Nomura's pure rage.
I didn't think that was the case but I've seen some of the more out there takes about this and now I'm just like, "sure why not" lol

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Some nice bits of info here, was interesting to hear Disney seemed more supportive of Sora ans it was more Nomura who was picky.
One point that confused me though was about liking seeing the reaction he hoped for to Xigbar/Braig being Luxu, which I thought I remember reading him saying in an older interview he doesn't know why people are surprised ha. Maybe mistranslation or meant as a joke ha.
Other thing that I'm confused about is when the graphic potential rises, the viable world selection lessens? How does that make sense? Surely 2D worlds can still be picked. Hope this doesn't mean only real-life/3D animations are the only options now. (My Treasure Planet hopes..)
Because as the graphical potential rises and now they're using Unreal Engine 5, the amount of polygons everything uses gets bigger, graphical fidelity gets pushed and it costs more resources to make these worlds. Along with that, the worlds also get bigger and bigger every game and KH4's worlds will probably be much bigger than KH3's worlds judging by the scale of Quadratum (which KH3 easily already had 3 hours of content per world).

Instead of 7-8 worlds in KH3, we might only see like 4 Disney worlds but they will all be double the amount of content. I think that's what he's implying here. Just like 7 worlds in KH3 was a downgrade from like 14 worlds in KH2 but the worlds were all much bigger.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this game still has a good mix on Disney and doesn't focus too much on the original content stuff

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Tetsuya Nomura said:
As far as the graphic qualities ... since with each new title, the specs have been really increasing and there's so much more we can do in terms of graphics, it kind of limits the number of worlds that we can create in a sense.

That makes zero sense and sounds like Nomura is already trying to come up with an excuse for reducing the number of Disney worlds, focusing on Quadratum (or whatever Versus XIII leftover bs he's still fixated on incorporating), instead - to the detriment of what makes KH special.

Nomura implies that better "specs" can only produce better photorealistic graphics, which is just absurd (just look at Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart). This is the kind of awful take you'd see on Reddit, not coming from someone with the game developer experience that he has.

Tetsuya Nomura said:
One thing I want to clear up is that a lot of fans are saying that Kingdom Hearts is this collaboration between Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters. But I really feel like that's not the basic concept of Kingdom Hearts; that's not exactly what Kingdom Hearts is.

Again, he seems to completely miss the point of what caused players to be drawn to KH in the first place.

It's fitting that the series will likely feature a Star Wars world, because Nomura has basically turned into George Lucas. He's still adamant on doing his own thing, regardless if it's the best choice or not, because, in the end, it's still his creation and he can do whatever he wants with it.

The thing is, just like with SW, KH has become such a cultural phenomenon that it doesn't belong to its creator anymore. It belongs to the fans.

Swearing.circle said it best:

I loved KH1 and 2 when I was younger. FF crossed with Disney is what I bought into but I had absolutely no interest in 3 and the story is so hard to keep up with.

I'll also link to this ProZD's video, which sums up my thoughts on the franchise really well:

Last edited:

s y

Nov 8, 2017
That makes zero sense and sounds like Nomura is already trying to come up with an excuse for reducing the number of Disney worlds and focusing on Quadratum (or whatever Versus XIII leftover bs he's still fixated on incorporating), to the detriment of what makes KH special.

Nomura implies that better "specs" can only produce better photorealistic graphics, which is just absurd (just look at Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart). This is the kind of awful take you'd see on Reddit, not coming from someone with the game developer experience that he has.
How do you even get that?

Look at the worlds in KH3, they're multiple times bigger and more intricate than anything in previous titles. And there are less Disney worlds in that game than in previous title in large part due to the fidelity of visuals they want to achieve. Nomura is saying that this trend will continue every generation they move on to better hardware.

He's not implying that better specs only produce better photorealistic graphics. Your even reference Ratchet and Clank, which is a perfect example of what Nomura is saying. The graphics in that game are massively better than anything in prior titles and there are also FAR less planets and locations than most of the mainline series. Because of the increased fidelity they wanted to create much bigger, better worlds and as a result, there are fewer of them.

Last edited:

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not at all surprised at the FF response or result, I think it was obvious and expected? I'd like a bit more, but I don't _need_ them, to be honest. Though I'd take any of them over Kairi, that's for sure...

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Because as the graphical potential rises and now they're using Unreal Engine 5, the amount of polygons everything uses gets bigger, graphical fidelity gets pushed and it costs more resources to make these worlds. Along with that, the worlds also get bigger and bigger every game and KH4's worlds will probably be much bigger than KH3's worlds judging by the scale of Quadratum (which KH3 easily already had 3 hours of content per world).

Instead of 7-8 worlds in KH3, we might only see like 4 Disney worlds but they will all be double the amount of content. I think that's what he's implying here. Just like 7 worlds in KH3 was a downgrade from like 14 worlds in KH2 but the worlds were all much bigger.

Yeah, this is what I understood his statement as. You get Quadratum as a Traverse Town hub but it's HUGE. Then you get Olympus Colosseum with the underworld, Earth, and Mount Olympus all 2x+ the size of the last time we saw it. Arendalle with castle town, wilds, and Northuldra forests from the sequel. Moana 2x as big as POTC was last time. Inside Out fully recreated as it looked in the movie. Star Wars ANH with Tatoinne, the Death Star, and Yavin all fully explorable. And maybe one or two others, but they're all so big they may as well be their own game entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
For real. No one gives a fuck; it's Smash Brothers. None of the other folks being there make any sense lmao
Canonically Smash characters aren't even the same characters as their main-series counterparts anyway. They're toys/figures of those characters that exist in a universe of their own.

Although funny enough, the Sora trailer kinda implies it's actually him, entering the universe, lol.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Aqua and Terra are in their twenties. Obviously they've had a very sheltered upbringing, but it still makes the parts where they're acting like kids tough to get through.

Aqua is 18 so she's still a teenager. Terra is 20.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
How do you even get that?

Because he mentions more realistic graphics later in the interview:

Will we be spending a lot of time in Quadratum? Does having a more realistic setting give you bigger opportunities to try new things with the gameplay?

I think it will be a pretty good amount of time since it is set as the initial base within the game. You spend time there and then go to different worlds and then go back there. Because the graphics are more realistic this time around, I feel like there's more of a realistic daily life aspect to Sora's life. You can see him go in and out of his room and spend time there. I feel like players will get to see more of the day-to-day routines he goes through.

Look at the worlds in KH3, they're multiple times bigger and more intricate than anything in previous titles. And there are less Disney worlds in that game than in previous title in large part due to the fidelity of visuals they want to achieve. Nomura is saying that this trend will continue every generation they move on to better hardware.

I don't think he's talking strictly about visual fidelity, as KH3 having fewer worlds had more to do with their scope, rather than their visuals.

Nomura himself stated, in a couple of interviews, that they wanted higher density worlds, in terms of gameplay, so players would spend more time on each one of them, rather than having multiple, smaller worlds.

From a Game Informer interview:

Depending on how you want to navigate the world, your time in it can vary, so Nomura was hesitant to say how many hours it will take to complete. "Rather than having multiple different little worlds, we wanted to make sure we're providing rich gameplay in an individual world, so we put in a lot of effort and allocated a lot of resources to create these worlds, and it would be sad for players not to enjoy the world and breeze right through it. Therefore, we made sure that each of the worlds is designed so players can take their time and enjoy the gameplay that's available."

From a Famitsu interview (summarized by Gematsu):

While the number of Disney worlds are less than the amount included in Kingdom Hearts II, the density of each world is greater, including gameplay.

It's a choice they made. Personally, I'd rather have more worlds with less stuff to do in them, instead of a few "hub" worlds (like he implies Quadratum will be).

Also, the same level of visual fidelity could be achieved across all of them if they were just smaller in scope, especially given the change to Unreal Engine and its streamlined pipelines. They already made a bunch of assets for KHIII that are "highly versatile", according to their environment art director, who affirmed they were able to create a large number of unique assets "in a relatively short period of time":

Last edited: