• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Faster loading times over frame rate and graphics?
So let me ask you this, there is an alternative reality next-gen with an SSD but the same graphics power as a PS4 Pro, OR an alternative reality were next-gen is PS5 graphics power but we are stuck with HDD storage again for a generation.
I would pick the SSD reality every time.

We don't have to pick, we get both and that's awesome. But if you've been stuck on HDD storage from last century, it's probably more pressing and important and exciting to get and SSD and much faster loading times, than slightly better graphics. This poll is just representative of what we've been starved of for a generation.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
So let me ask you this, there is an alternative reality next-gen with an SSD but the same graphics power as a PS4 Pro, OR an alternative reality were next-gen is PS5 graphics power but we are stuck with HDD storage again for a generation.
I would pick the SSD reality every time.

We don't have to pick, we get both and that's awesome. But if you've been stuck on HDD storage from last century, it's probably more pressing and important and exciting to get and SSD and much faster loading times, than slightly better graphics. This poll is just representative of what we've been starved of for a generation.
I explained 3 times. I'll go back and fix it. It's like a few posts up.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
From building on PS4 success, to having the best launch lineup and a unique next gen excitement through Dual Sense... PS5 is poised to dominate again this gen, probably more than the past years.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not quite, if you check out the slides again. You can see the people who plan on getting both has decreased from the percentage of people who own both this generation.

D53900-E4-FF6-B-46-C6-B639-9-B7062-FF8-C25.jpg

A significant portion of those who bought both this generation are according to this poll buying a PS5 only.

28-AC85-A0-43-F9-42-AB-9507-77-C53-DA3-B1-A1.jpg

That makes a lot of sense I think.

It fits with the position I've been in. As previously I owned an XBOX ONE X and PS4 Pro, but I also have a PC and I see no need to purchase any XBOX hardware. On PC I dabble in Microsoft's ecosystem, though most of my games are on Steam.

I wonder if those people that have shifted are in the same position. Where they previously owned hardware from both manufacturers, but they're switching because PC gaming has them covered for Microsoft's offering. I imagine it's quite likely that enthusiasts that own 'both' are also the type of people who own 'all'. For these people, what it comes down to is ensuring that you have an access point to every game available.

I have a Switch, gaming PC, PS4, and XBOX ONE X, but soon the XBOX ONE is not necessary in order to ensure that I have access to every major title that releases. And I'll probably redirect that money to buy a GTX 3080 at some point, so that my PC can keep up.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Xbox games wont be 70 dollars? I...doubt that's true.

so far as I know there are no native series X games at launch? 2K has said their sports games will be $70 on SX but that's not first party. Spencer and Greenburg haven't committed either way. Which makes sense since if you have GP it'll just be included so price doesn't matter.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Xbox’s Greenberg discusses $70 game pricing and says it’s a ‘complex’ issue | VGC

“Does the price of the game even matter if it’s included in your Game Pass subscription?”…

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Not quite, if you check out the slides again. You can see the people who plan on getting both has decreased from the percentage of people who own both this generation.

this poll is end of gen. At the beginning of the gen in 2013 I'll bet the polls were about the same as they are for these ones. Over the years people pick up the other consoles, but maybe they didn't buy more than one at launch.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
so far as I know there are no native series X games at launch? 2K has said their sports games will be $70 on SX but that's not first party. Spencer and Greenburg haven't committed either way. Which makes sense since if you have GP it'll just be included so price doesn't matter.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Xbox’s Greenberg discusses $70 game pricing and says it’s a ‘complex’ issue | VGC

“Does the price of the game even matter if it’s included in your Game Pass subscription?”…
I believe CoD is also 70 dollars on Series X, and that will likely be the best selling game.

As you said, Xbox first party is kind of late to next gen, but it seems the big third party games will be 70. People will pay it because it will be the price of the big games. If the games I really want are 70 then that's what I'll pay. I'd prefer they be cheaper but it is what it is.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I believe CoD is also 70 dollars on Series X, and that will likely be the best selling game.

As you said, Xbox first party is kind of late to next gen, but it seems the big third party games will be 70. People will pay it because it will be the price of the big games. If the games I really want are 70 then that's what I'll pay. I'd prefer they be cheaper but it is what it is.

Looks like CoD is. Nothing MS can do about that. AC, Cyberpunk and Watchdogs aren't, which include free next gen updates. Dirt 5 isn't. But Demon's Souls is a Sony exclusive and they OK'd the $70. So I assume all PS5 native games will be $70. The Spider-Man "full version" with both games on PS5 is $70.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I'd find this way more interesting if it had been done back in 2019. You can just about guarantee the data is contaminated by die hard fans going into the survey and answering in accordance with how their console of choice has chosen to advertise.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Everything seems right except 70 dollar games and faster load times over fps and resolution. Makes no sense.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

It fits with the position I've been in. As previously I owned an XBOX ONE X and PS4 Pro, but I also have a PC and I see no need to purchase any XBOX hardware. On PC I dabble in Microsoft's ecosystem, though most of my games are on Steam.

I wonder if those people that have shifted are in the same position. Where they previously owned hardware from both manufacturers, but they're switching because PC gaming has them covered for Microsoft's offering. I imagine it's quite likely that enthusiasts that own 'both' are also the type of people who own 'all'. For these people, what it comes down to is ensuring that you have an access point to every game available.

I have a Switch, gaming PC, PS4, and XBOX ONE X, but soon the XBOX ONE is not necessary in order to ensure that I have access to every major title that releases. And I'll probably redirect that money to buy a GTX 3080 at some point, so that my PC can keep up.
Microsoft will be hoping that its more of the case you brought up where those people are still within there ecosystem.

With Gamepass being a thing the value of a user who doesn't interact with the ecosystem through the console increase significantly and will bring the average spend up.

And you're right with the responders of the survey more likely to be a gaming enthusiast. However the also the possibility that the opposite is true and these user are not planning on interacting with the Xbox ecosystem. Because as of know the majority of Gamepass subscribers are also Xbox owners. I can't envisage a scenario where Gamepass is successful where it doesn't also lead to more people buying the console. So the many polls, survey, engagement metrics tell me that Microsoft has more work to do.

Oct 24, 2019

Yeah I think that makes sense as well.

I'm the type of person who *would* buy both, except for the fact that I expect MS to put out either an Xcloud app or dongle for Samsung smart TVs, which will enable me to play Game Pass directly through my TV. So, rather than getting the console, I'm holding out for that, putting me in that "PS5-only camp" even though I still intend to play XGS games this gen