• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
70/30 split on coolest looking design is interesting.
i guess nobody would ever call the series X cool looking but still.

Yeah, I kind of wonder if that's more a matter of semantics? I'd agree that the PS5 looks "cooler" because the XSX just looks like a damn box. It ain't cool.

Now if it said which one looks better? I might give that to XSX just because it at least doesn't look gaudy as fuck.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people dont give a crap about Gamepass it seems,which baffles me a bit since its such a great deal...oh well.I mean PS5 is great also,getting both but seeing that big of a margin is surprising...maybe it will change overtime.

when you step outside of era, people don't. Not disputing its value or worth to some, but majority of people, at least that I speak with on Facebook groups on in person don't care. I know we am enthusiast forum but really I think sometimes it warps your perceived view on how the majority thinks. And these poll results line up EXACTLY with what I see when I go outside of era to discuss video games

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of software sales, or subscriptions, it probably doesn't affect Microsoft in a negative way, but I just wonder how the console sales might be if they weren't putting the majority of the games on PC as well. Current-gen it was primarily an issue with a lack of games on the Xbone I cared about (only had six games on the 360 and the system was primarily used for SFIV), and much of what I wanted to play was coming to PC anyway, but now it seems like they are slowly but surely picking up the necessary steam in that area, but I'll still not care about their actual console, since I mainly game on PC.

If Sony was behaving similarly, I'd likely not care about the PS5 at all either. But so far, they've released one ho-hum PC port, years after the initial release, so I'm essentially bound to the PS5 if I want to play those games near release.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Can we finally stop shitting on people in every thread about BC by saying it's not important just because you personally don't use it.

86% of people believing it's important means you're the damn minority. It's not just "concern trolling" because you don't care.

Aug 13, 2018
The average person (never mind the average gamer) has tastes only marginally better than Donald Trump, I'm not gonna change my opinion that the PS5 case is a trashy monument because a bunch of kids see some leds and get excited.

In the long run, the "boring" and "simple" product design always win. Timeless product design doesn't need to make statements.
Someone is salty their plastic box will get outsold by 2x this launch by this "ugly" ps5

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A lot of people dont give a crap about Gamepass it seems,which baffles me a bit since its such a great deal...oh well.I mean PS5 is great also,getting both but seeing that big of a margin is surprising...maybe it will change overtime.
I mean they are at 15 million subs and that's before those 23 studios start dropping Series X games, that number is only going to grow.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In line with what I've seen from other polls and whatnot.

In terms of how it's inconsistent with attitudes on era, I think folks on ERA dislike the design of the PS5 much more than the lay person. I think people here think a lot more about how a console will look in their home entertainment centre and whatnot, and I can see the PS5 standing out in a bad way in many.

I also think that folks here in general place a lot more favourable view on the Series X and its lineup. The folks I see talk about these systems outside of ERA are really very critical of the game lineup on the Series X. I think ERA also over-emphasises the value of Game Pass. I'm not convinced that most people even want these game-subscription services, the fact that most people want a physical system suggests they're still invested in that purchase and re-sell cycle.
Does the average Joe Blow casual gamer even know what Game Pass is, I wonder? I have never seen it discussed outside fairly hardcore gaming communities/ publications.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

I think polls like this maybe provide a general idea of the landscape before next gen really comes around - and this lines up with how the PS4 was doing. I do feel like a lot of this is "I like PS4, so I like this or I like Xbox so I like this" as you typically will defend your future planned purchase unless something looks really, really off. It'll take time to determine if XSX will break that, but I can say on Game Pass specifically - anecdotally of course - people I know that weren't all that impressed with Game Pass at first are starting to see the appeal of it and that was before ZeniMax's acquisition was apparent or has shown real fruit.

That's also one reason Microsoft has said they don't plan to stop purchasing. Eventually it'll become impossible to not notice that Game Pass has AAA games releasing on a fairly consistent basis release day for the subscription cost of Netflix basically. You can say Microsoft purchased ZeniMax, but until Starfield or Elder Scrolls releases on the service itself, it won't really matter to the mainstream.

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Era bubble haha.

The entire internet thought the PS5 looked ridiculous and HUGE when it was unveiled. "A router" most said. Now, it's apparently so cool looking. OK. I'm getting the digital edition, a Series X, and Series S at launch. I have no dog in the fight but I think the PS5 looks dumb and will not be easy to fit into a rack or tv due to shape and the gigantic size of it.

Not the mainstream. The sheep argument is really beating a dead horse because it provides zero information and can be erroneously applied to anything that has a high market share.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Expected given the inertia. I think early hype is mostly being driven by the promised exclusives and Sony's showing of their impressive IO performance. Not to mention that what Microsoft showed was either lackluster (Halo) or seemed like more of the same but with better visuals. They have the more powerful hardware but what Sony showed looked far and away better than what MS showed - from both a visual perspective and how they utilize next gen tech in general.

I think 2021 is going to be massive for the PlayStation 5. Potentially record breaking in the console space.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT I've seen people who actually like the PS5 design be labeled sheep and children.

Why can't y'all be normal?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
People were good and ready for that $500 price point, but I'm more surprised more than half were ready for $70 games.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like the pattern is most people that have a PS4 already will most likely get a PS5 this generation and vice versa for Xbox. That means both Sony and MS have apparently done a pretty good job at keeping consumers in their ecosystem.
Not quite, if you check out the slides again. You can see the people who plan on getting both has decreased from the percentage of people who own both this generation.

D53900-E4-FF6-B-46-C6-B639-9-B7062-FF8-C25.jpg

A significant portion of those who bought both this generation are according to this poll buying a PS5 only.

28-AC85-A0-43-F9-42-AB-9507-77-C53-DA3-B1-A1.jpg

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I know alot of people here are gonna be surprised by the design question, but everyone in the mainstream I know loves the PS5 design, including myself.
B-but Era told me the design is trash?

Yeah, people are remarking on the size, sure. But it's definitely not a hated design. This place can be such grumpy bubble sometimes.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I wonder how the results would be now after the announcement of the S and MS buying Bethesda? They probably wouldn't drastically change, but I can see a few more people buying a PS5 and an S for another room or Elder Scrolls 6. Also a lot of people sounding like Trump about these polls lol.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Does the average Joe Blow casual gamer even know what Game Pass is, I wonder? I have never seen it discussed outside fairly hardcore gaming communities/ publications.

I think part of it is this, yeah. There are a lot of game subscription services now, Playstation Now, Uplay +, EA Access, Game Pass, and I imagine most consumers who are even aware of it, don't look at the full games lineup and figure out the value.

I know if I'm thinking about subscription TV services, the reason that I end up subscribing is usually because there is a show exclusively on that service. If there is another way for me to watch I will usually not subscribe.

So in that sense, the only pathway that the average consumer might become interested in exploring gamepass might be only when there is an exclusive title that they can only play on that system. Exclusivity to the XBOX platform might be enough, because if they're pulled into the XBOX ecosystem they might explore gamepass eventually as an extension.

At the minute the XBOX platform sports no exclusives that are all that interesting to anyone that isn't already bought into their hardware. It's not 2008 and Halo and Gears of War not exciting for anyone but Halo fans, who already own Microsoft's hardware and know what gamepass is. That's not me trying to be dismissive, I like many of the titles like Gears 5, Crusader Kings and Forza, but I think those titles have hit the limits of their audience already.

An exclusive Elder Scrolls game might make something of a difference here but I think really you need those absolute must play experiences to pull people over to your services. I subscribed to amazon prime to watch The Boys for instance, and I can't watch that elsewhere. I'm not even certain that the Elder Scrolls series is on that level anymore, if you look at what folks are playing, with the exception of Sony's exclusives like God of War and TLOU, they're almost all big live service titles. Call of Duty, Fifa, Destiny, NBA20K, Fortnite, Apex Legends. To pull the lay consumers interest I think you need titles like those, and many of those are difficult to get because they thrive off of being available on as many platforms as possible, sometimes because they're on as many platforms as possible (e.g. Fortnite).

The best bet for Microsoft is probably not to try to buy their way in but to create the 'next big thing' themselves. I think that's why they're allowing studios like Rare to be very creative now, because they want that chance of viral success. Taking risks and building internal studios is probably the best path forward.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
This is such a strange thing to be subtly upset about. Of course people are buying PS5 because it has more games. That's the point of systems.

Where did I say it was because it had more games? On launch day, they only AAA game on either system that is exclusive to next gen is Demon's Souls. Which I already purchased. But it you want to say it has one game and XSX has zero, then OK.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
This is wrong the first time PS5 was showed off lots of people like it even more so for the mainstream.
In fact it was even split here on ERA , so the whole internet thought the PS5 looked ridiculous is some head canon and far away from he truth .

This is Google. Today.

50544220976_bb6a9d8ebb_c.jpg

I didn't make this up nor is it Era bubble.

www.engadget.com

It doesn’t matter what the PS5 looks like

The PlayStation 5 is an unattractive piece of tech. Next to the clean, utilitarian and purportedly more powerful Xbox Series X, it's not a great look for Sony.

"The PlayStation 5 is an unattractive piece of tech. At least, everyone I've spoken to says so. Next to the clean, utilitarian and purportedly more powerful Xbox Series X, it's not a great look for Sony. The second it was announced, the memes began, comparing the PS5 to routers, Alienware PC towers and anime legends. All of them ridiculing a fairly low point in Sony's incredibly strong design history."

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Reality is far detached from Era.

Though even on here, it was roughly even on like/dislike for looks on every poll. The dislike crew just made much more noise.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was surprised about the "design" question, but after all they didnt asked if they like them, but just which one is the "coolest".
And Xbox is not cool at all. So I understand why PS5 wins there.
I would have voted: both are terrible. Which is less terrible? Probably I would say neither,

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
The average person (never mind the average gamer) has tastes only marginally better than Donald Trump, I'm not gonna change my opinion that the PS5 case is a trashy monument because a bunch of kids see some leds and get excited.

In the long run, the "boring" and "simple" product design always win. Timeless product design doesn't need to make statements.
It looks like Trump is the new reference for Godwin's Law.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I have both the PS5 and the Series X pre-ordered, but I'm really wavering on the Series X.

I pre-ordered it on spec, mostly buoyed by the recent news of the Bethesda acquisition. Now, though.. It's got nothing. And the recent news that Halo Infinite's lost its director makes me think that it's not going to be out anytime soon.

I'm looking for a reason not to cancel my Series X preorder, but I really don't see one. It just makes more sense to pick one up when a new game is launched and inevitably bundled with the system, which seems like it's quite a ways off.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017

People don't like what I like so their taste is trashy. Yeah, sounds about right huh?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I have both the PS5 and the Series X pre-ordered, but I'm really wavering on the Series X.

I pre-ordered it on spec, mostly buoyed by the recent news of the Bethesda acquisition. Now, though.. It's got nothing. And the recent news that Halo Infinite's lost its director makes me think that it's not going to be out anytime soon.

I'm looking for a reason not to cancel my Series X preorder, but I really don't see one. It just makes more sense to pick one up when a new game is launched and inevitably bundled with the system, which seems like it's quite a ways off.

I've got the Series X, Series S, and PS5 digital preordered, and I'm excited about them all as new tech. But if I had to choose one and had zero history of games currently I would get the PS5 just because it's the only one with a game or two you can only play on the PS5. All the XSX games are cross gen currently, there is no launch game. I would get a cheap X1S or something for game pass and X exclusives though - GP is the killer app.

ramboma

Jul 18, 2019
This is Google. Today.

50544220976_bb6a9d8ebb_c.jpg

I didn't make this up nor is it Era bubble.

www.engadget.com

It doesn’t matter what the PS5 looks like

The PlayStation 5 is an unattractive piece of tech. Next to the clean, utilitarian and purportedly more powerful Xbox Series X, it's not a great look for Sony.

"The PlayStation 5 is an unattractive piece of tech. At least, everyone I've spoken to says so. Next to the clean, utilitarian and purportedly more powerful Xbox Series X, it's not a great look for Sony. The second it was announced, the memes began, comparing the PS5 to routers, Alienware PC towers and anime legends. All of them ridiculing a fairly low point in Sony's incredibly strong design history."
who would google "PS5 looks good"? lmao. let's try googling "xbox series x looks" next, why dont we.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I've got the Series X, Series S, and PS5 digital preordered, and I'm excited about them all as new tech. But if I had to choose one and had zero history of games currently I would get the PS5 just because it's the only one with a game or two you can only play on the PS5. All the XSX games are cross gen currently, there is no launch game. I would get a cheap X1S or something for game pass and X exclusives though - GP is the killer app.

Yeah. I already have GP on my Xbox One, though.

Oh well, cancelled my Series X preorder. One more available through BestBuy Canada for someone else, I guess.

Now I only need to worry about mail receipt of the one system. :)

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Faster loading times over frame rate and graphics?
Yeah that's interesting. Faster loading times is amazing, but I like better frame rate much more than faster loading times. I mean even waiting a minute for a new mission in 60fps is much better than 3 seconds for 30fps gameplay.
Also prefer better graphics to faster loading times without a doubt.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Times valuable nowadays lol

Less time wasting more time gaming
You can put an SSD in your PS4. I did.

at the same time I'm well aware the SSD will be a game changer in terms of development.

but overall I'll stick to my opinion of being surprised people say SSD over the other2

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I await the return of "<month X> is going to be interesting" posts this gen.

To a lesser extent, the "I don't understand how _______" posts when it comes to sales too

Oct 28, 2017
Great graphs.

Keep in mind the disclaimer at the bottom - poll was conducted before Xbox Series S and all next gen price points were announced