• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
MS has a lot of mind share to win back.

Will be curious to see these polls 5 years from now, once the full force of all the new MS first party is brought to bear.

A lot of people dont give a crap about Gamepass it seems,which baffles me a bit since its such a great deal...oh well.I mean PS5 is great also,getting both but seeing that big of a margin is surprising...maybe it will change overtime.
MS hasn't done the best job at marketing it, some people simply don't understand what it offers, especially if they're playstation only and ignore anything xbox. Had a discussion recently w/ my sister's boyfriend who is a playstation only guy. We're talking gaming, game pass came up, and he thought it was a) only streaming which turned him off and b) junk games. Wasn't until I showed him the library and said you download and play them like regular games that he got it. Then I was like yeah and the next Doom, Elder Scrolls, Halo, etc. is all on there and he couldn't believe it. It happens when you don't follow gaming media or post on forums like people reading this.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
imo opinion people like the PS5 design because it is the PS5.

If anything else looked like that nobody would be on board.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Don't tell the big companies but I'd be willing to pay up to $100 per game and up to $1000 for a console... but I'm also really happy with the prices we got. I mean some of the digital deluxe editions of next gen games are knocking on that $100 price tag anyway. I think this generation will be really interesting when it comes to pricing especially as it goes on. I wonder if the preowned market will stagnate more too with more people possibly buying digital? I'm buying the disk version of the PS5 purely for some backwards compat with PS4 and some physical games. But by the time the mid-generation revision roles around, I expect to be fully digital.

On the topic of costs of things, if movie studios released big movies like Batman, Avengers...etc day and date online and in theatres, I'd pay one hell of a premium to watch that online... like a huge markup. I don't want theatres to go away (because I know tons of people who love them) but I would pay stupid money to just be able to watch these brand new movies at home rather than going to the theatre.

Anyway, back to gaming any the survey. I'm also really hoping that we get a 4K Switch (Pro?) at some point soon. The 4K doesn't even need to be native it could be upscale for something but I really want Nintendo to step into 4K now. The survey didn't really seem to talk much about Nintendo at all and focused mostly on PlayStation and Xbox and the results aren't that surprising to me. PS5 is going to be a power house for Sony and Games Pass is going to be a power house for Microsoft. The number of people with Games Pass vs the number of people with an Xbox Console will be wildly different when this next generation ends.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time, though, the PlayStation brand is much stronger than the Xbox brand. I'm sure a large portion of both console's consumers were dead-set I'm getting their next iteration of the console years prior to reveal & announcement. I think both consoles have plenty of people that are seeing the design of both through an optimistic lens because they were sold before they even saw it.

It's also the same reason why I'm skeptical of "load times" leading out ahead of graphics and frame rate. Load times are super important, and the jump from HDD to SSD was one of my favorite moments on PC, but I feel like this would have been a better question to have answered prior to revealing the strengths of each console. I have serious doubts that "load times" would win out.

Loading times is the most annoying thing this gen and going from 30sec or more to less than 5 secs will be a huge improvement .
In term of marketing both systems were pushing the faster loading so that can also be part of this .
Truth is it will be hard to go back no matter what type of gamer you are .

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Reasonable results. The PS5 has an alien design but its not ugly. It's new and different. The XSX looks plain in comparison. Subjective opinions and what not of course mind you.

The industry has always went in price since the PS2, GCN, Xbox era. We kicked and screamed about for the next gen but obviously the industry itself is changed. Development of cheap games is no longer a smart investment. Unless you're an indie that gets some heaving backing from a larger publisher, or the Gamepass stimulus, its not any sort of guarantee you'll see a return without a safety net. Tech gets better, stuff gets more expensive. I do think it's time for a reform, look at CDPR, and the addressing of industry crunch needs to be fixed. But as it stands, game development isn't cheap....$70 is not a surprise and I don't think may people were surprised by it. Enthusiast wise at least...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The technical question has the most interesting results for me. I'm disappointed that frame rate is the lowest. That will surely trigger folks here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Loading times is the most annoying thing this gen and going from 30sec or more to less than 5 secs will be a huge improvement .
In term of marketing both systems were pushing the faster loading so that can also be part of this .
Truth is it will be hard to go back no matter what type of gamer you are .
I agree with all of that. But most important as the survey asks? Nobody was talking loading times in the pre-Cerny conference world.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people surprised by the design question? Despite how impressive the size of the Xbox Series X is, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "cool" looking console. Say what you will about the PS5, at least it's unique looking, for better or worse (I personally like the look tbh).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with all of that. But most important as the survey asks? Nobody was talking loading times in the pre-Cerny conference world.
I've been shitting on loading times for the consoles (especially for Destiny) for years now, at least since 2015. If these consoles would have SSDs was a big pre-reveal talking point too.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Nice graph design! Very clear.

It's pretty wildly misleading in a lot of cases. Drawing circles whose radius is proportional to the data creates an exaggerated area relationship. Using text with different numbers of characters and font weights that are also scaled? Again, creates a false impression. Linear graphs with unlabelled arbitrary axes that again exaggerate differences? Ugh.

The data itself is interesting. The representation is pretty awful.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see 70 bucks as that outrageous of a price. You can easily spend 70 bucks going out on the town for one evening. Most AAA games give me at least 20 hours of entertainment. Many of them 40+

that being said I only buy about 2-3 AAA games for full price a year. But for the ones that I'm really excited about it doesn't bother me. But I will wait for sales for the most part.

of course most of this money will go to shareholders and CEOs, not developers, which sucks

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I've been shitting on loading times (especially for Destiny) for years now, at least since 2015. If these consoles would have SSDs was a big pre-reveal talking point too.
Oh I'm with you on that as well as the other poster. I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills because prior to the console reveals, I could have sworn I was living in a world where the general gaming public was "bigger games, bigger graphics, more shit on the screen". And now loading times are king?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
When all new AAA games start becoming $70 that number will be much higher. People hate the idea of paying more, but in the end they still want their games.
I'm not to defend the pricing, but I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that most people only day 1 a few of the biggest games that they know they will spend the most time playing, which can amount to over 100 hours (think sports games, smash bros, online MP, etc) which is why they don't care as much as people think here. They aren't like people in this community that insist every great game that comes out has to be immediately purchased day 1. People were paying $12+ for movie tickets that run just 2+ hours. People do not give a shit when you factor in the hours of entertainment spent on playing their favorite games.

May 24, 2019
4-F065320-5517-41-C0-858-E-89-C3-DAD02-F89.jpg

8kZN2sc.gif

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This all tracks and shows why Sony doesn't have to do anything different than what they are currently doing to sell consoles. It will be a much more interesting thing to look at a year or two from now once more games are revealed and the consoles have been in the wild. Can Gamepass plus exclusive BGS games make a dent? Upfront momentum seems so key with these things as enthusiasts drive where their friends play. Maybe crossplay makes where your friends are less relevant?

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I know alot of people here are gonna be surprised by the design question, but everyone in the mainstream I know loves the PS5 design, including myself.

Yep. Another clear case of the already known Era bubble. I'm always surprised of how many people here dislike the PS5 design, when elsewhere most people love it.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Someone mentioned Destiny load times on console. I haven't played it on console in a while, but I do remember that being very annoying for that experience. This gen is going to be such a drastic improvement for this. The results from that survey make sense in that regard.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I'm with you on that as well as the other poster. I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills because prior to the console reveals, I could have sworn I was living in a world where the general gaming public was "bigger games, bigger graphics, more shit on the screen". And now loading times are king?
I'd imagine it being the most impressive and best demonstrated next gen aspect for games is a factor in that. People realizing there's a lot of cool stuff you can do with super fast loading, besides just loading fast.

Shame graphics are above Frame Rate though, I thought the tide had turned there too, with Frame Rate being probably the 2nd most well shown aspect for next gen.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
Better frame rates option being low is expected. Most casuals (and even people who play a lot of games) don't know what 60fps or 30fps mean unless someone try to give them simple examples from other games. Better graphics is expected from new consoles while faster loading is something that people will notice easily and many hate slow loading in older consoles so it's not that that strange that this option was picked by most.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way on God's green earth that faster load times would have come out on top this time last year lol.

SSDs felt like a dream before they were confirmed. I've personally been saying I'm perfectly happy with graphics the way they are right now, and would prefer advancements in other areas.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
You weren't around for all the Mass Effect elevator memes or even further back with PS1 vs N64 load times? Hell most complaints this gen on this very forum were about forced walking and squeeze through sections. (Outside of general framerate complaints).

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
LOL you know the poll results are shit when it has people favoring the PS5 design. That thing is a monstrosity.

Also who says they want to pay for games?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see 70 bucks as that outrageous of a price. You can easily spend 70 bucks going out on the town for one evening. Most AAA games give me at least 20 hours of entertainment. Many of them 40+

Add to that how spending $70 on a game instead of going out means I won't wake up hungover, stinking of beer and cigarettes, with a halfeaten kebab on my table, and already late to work.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In line with what I've seen from other polls and whatnot.

In terms of how it's inconsistent with attitudes on era, I think folks on ERA dislike the design of the PS5 much more than the lay person. I think people here think a lot more about how a console will look in their home entertainment centre and whatnot, and I can see the PS5 standing out in a bad way in many.

I also think that folks here in general place a lot more favourable view on the Series X and its lineup. The folks I see talk about these systems outside of ERA are really very critical of the game lineup on the Series X. I think ERA also over-emphasises the value of Game Pass. I'm not convinced that most people even want these game-subscription services, the fact that most people want a physical system suggests they're still invested in that purchase and re-sell cycle.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. PS5 is an extremely desirable product coming off the success of the PS4 and its amazing generation of games.
Jim Ryan praise be upon thee.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
You weren't around for all the Mass Effect elevator memes or even further back with PS1 vs N64 load times? Hell most complaints this gen on this very forum were about forced walking and squeeze through sections. (Outside of general framerate complaints).
I've been around much longer than that lol

Oct 27, 2017
hey I can do all those things playing games too! But the beer is a lot cheaper at home

True. And you won't have to deal with all those annoying people!

But really, quitting going to pubs, quitting alcohol and quitting nicotine has been the best thing to come out of COVID for me. I get to just stay alone at home to watch movies, play games and watch true crime on YouTube. It's paradise.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
As great as Game Pass is as a service, nothing will ever sell a console like great exclusives since you can get all the 3rd party stuff everywhere.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Roughly 1/3 of people who owned both consoles this gen are only going with PS5 next gen. That's not great for Microsoft.

They have 7 years for next generation to change minds, and they know opinions change. I don't think this would be too concerning for them.

now if this was the picture in 2023...

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
those people who voted yes for 70 dollar games are gonna ruin it for all of us
If you're price-conscious, you don't buy at launch. I don't care if $100 becomes standard for AAA, as long as games still eventually drop to the point that they go on sale for $5-20. Buying a game at release is paying the highest possible amount of money for what is usually the worst state the product will be in. If you wait a year, it will be cheap and have all the updates it's probably going to get. Sometimes it's worth it to me to buy launch day. I preordered Miles Morales, usually do with the Resident Evil games too. Most of the time it's not.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
True. And you won't have to deal with all those annoying people!

But really, quitting going to pubs, quitting alcohol and quitting nicotine has been the best thing to come out of COVID for me. I get to just stay alone at home to watch movies, play games and watch true crime on YouTube. It's paradise.

congrats on kicking those bad habits. For a while I was drinking a lot more than normal but I've made myself go back to normal (about 1x week)

May 12, 2020
I mean just look at all the social media metrics. PS5 clearly has more excitement than Xbox. MKBHD unboxing video has almost 10 million views. Crazy!

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
the question is which one looks cooler. The XSX is a black box...not much cool about that

Oct 27, 2017
congrats on kicking those bad habits. For a while I was drinking a lot more than normal but I've made myself go back to normal (about 1x week)

Thanks! I feel better and my bank account definitely feels better! As an introvert I just got tired from going out anyway, especially if I went out sober.

the question is which one looks cooler. The XSX is a black box...not much cool about that

Neither of them look particularly great. The XSX is a black box, but I'd say it looks better than the weird Alienware router design of the PS5.

Lange

Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Makes me believe the gap is gonna be pretty big. I guess the PS3/360 gen was the only one where there was real competition sales wise.

I'd get both if I had the money, great value on all sides which is good for everybody.