• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Arcade cabinet looks amazing, but nah. I'm not buying an arcade cabinet for it. I'll gladly pay full price for a console/PC release, on the meantime I'll gladly continue playing it on my Xbox or Xbox 360.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of curious as to what's powering this. I don't follow the A1UP scene intensely close, but we haven't seen anything in this realm released before have we? Have they emulated anything past CPS-2 before?

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I have to say I'm kind of amused that they demoed this at EVO with "at EVO" being a hotel room instead of the convention floor. I double checked that I wasn't just blind and didn't miss the booth and verified that A1Up was not a vendor there. This seems like something that would have been fun to show off at a booth.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm kind of curious as to what's powering this. I don't follow the A1UP scene intensely close, but we haven't seen anything in this realm released before have we? Have they emulated anything past CPS-2 before?

This video talks about the chipset powering it:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Aside from MvC2, I would guess Ridge Racer and Killer Instinct are the other two most "powerful" cabs they have released. I believe the Ridge Racer cab is their only 3D entry so far. NFL Blitz is coming, and my understanding is you need at least a decent amount of horsepower to emulate that, but I could be wrong. I don't really run any emulators, so I'm a bit ignorant.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
If that weren't the case then literally every 360 game would've been added to the BC program.
It doesn't matter because any deal would be free.. Disney allowed those re-releases anyway, there's no reason to not allow people to play them on the new systems. The games you mentioned by acti weren't made BC because they remastered them themselves (and it doesn't look like Ms pursues BC if there's native xbone version). Capcom didn't allow many street fighter ports and darkstalkers and other things because they figured they might resell them to people, and the same goes for the marvel games.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's important to note that Microsoft themselves has to get the game working in the BC program. For all we know Capcom and Disney were cool with MvC2 XBLA being made BC, but Microsoft weren't able to get it running properly.

I've personally experienced the original Xbox version of MvC2 running on Xbox 360 via BC and it's a total disaster. You never know what kind of problems could have come up if they tried to make the XBLA version BC on Series S/X.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Is Combofiend still at Marvel Games?

He's listed in the credits for Miles Morales, but he's been lowkey lately.

Does he have a relationship with anyone at Capcom anymore? I know he was at Evo this weekend.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
probably just to see old friends

I meant he was playing. Did pretty well in Strive, I think. Wasn't tryna frame it like he was there for biz, but if he's still with Marvel I feel like he's gotta be the key to getting people talking again.

Maybe he's too low on the totem pole for that, but I don't think he is. I think he got producer credits on a couple big games like Ultimate Alliance 3.

Or maybe "functions" is still hanging over his head. :(

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I meant he was playing. Did pretty well in Strive, I think. Wasn't tryna frame it like he was there for biz, but if he's still with Marvel I feel like he's gotta be the key to getting people talking again.

Maybe he's too low on the totem pole for that, but I don't think he is. I think he got producer credits on a couple big games like Ultimate Alliance 3.

Or maybe "functions" is still hanging over his head. :(
i think y'all are just so desperate for marvel 2 on any modern platform that you'll look at any sign, no matter how insignificant, and cling to it like a security blanket

besides, a producer credit on UA3 doesn't mean he's going to be a liaison for capcom and marvel all of a sudden

just play fightcade, for real. it's much less painful than waiting for something that will never come.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i think y'all are just so desperate for marvel 2 on any modern platform that you'll look at any sign, no matter how insignificant, and cling to it like a security blanket

besides, a producer credit on UA3 doesn't mean he's going to be a liaison for capcom and marvel all of a sudden

just play fightcade, for real. it's much less painful than waiting for something that will never come.

I ain't say nothing about no "signs." I'm just asking if he's still at Marvel because he's connected to both companies. A few years have passed, Capcom is in a different spot now, both companies have acknowledged Mahvel hype, and he seemed to be climbing the ranks last time his name popped up. Relax and let the god speculate.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It would be pretty disappointing if they didn't bring the MvC collection of games to current gen too. They have been on a roll with their fighting collections recently, so that would have been a great addition for current gen with roll back included.

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
LOL. I told you guys in the first thread this meant it would never come to other platforms. It's sad. I hate this.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ain't say nothing about no "signs." I'm just asking if he's still at Marvel because he's connected to both companies. A few years have passed, Capcom is in a different spot now, both companies have acknowledged Mahvel hype, and he seemed to be climbing the ranks last time his name popped up. Relax and let the god speculate.
Not the first time Combofiend is seen at tournaments since he left Capcom. Don't do this to yourself my man

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just asking if he's still at Marvel. The Evo comment was just to say he's been seen, but keeping a low profile professionally. He doesn't do community manager stuff no more, he produces last we heard, and he's not active on social media.
Yeah he was a producer and got promoted to senior producer in 2020

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Shame Capcom and Disney couldn't agree on a better solution to get the game into as many hands as possible. We only needed a PC version with good rollback. I want to give you money for it.

Heh, good thing it works on Fightcade I guess.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Shame Capcom and Disney couldn't agree on a better solution to get the game into as many hands as possible. We only needed a PC version with good rollback. I want to give you money for it.

Heh, good thing it works on Fightcade I guess.

For sure. You and how many thousands upon thousands of others wanted it as a reasonably attainable console/pc collection? Street Fighter Anniversary collection has sold 2.4 million units (...'surpasseing individual lifetime sales of Dino Crisis, RE6, RE5: Gold, and RE4.' ) so far and consistently moves 100k units per month. It's not like there isn't a demand for that 90s era of capcom's fighting titles. But by making arcade1up the exclusive proprietor of MVC2, digital eclipse has seemingly failed, being shut out to rerelease any type of console or pc based collection.

Arcade 1up has severely limited and artificially bottlenecked the FGC's ability to purchase and play the Marvel Capcom titles. It really, REALLY sucks the barrier to entry to play MVC2 is now having to live in the US (or spend a small fortune and figure out the logistics investing in importing and getting the proper power conversion appliances to run the appliance elsewhere.), have at least $600 ready to go to invest to purchase a limitedly manufactured title, and be comfortable enough to have accommodation to have the house space to put up a flat-packed, particle board novelty recreation in your house. That is a pretty high and brutal barrier to be able to play any game IMHO.

I know that as a person living in London, I feel completely powerless to save up the resources to buy one of these partial scale reproduction cabinets, convince my wife to dedicate and take up a huge portion of our living space for a garish novelty item, and strike lightning to logistically import one of these cabinets. As if the MVC2 community are confined to those living in suburban McMansion sections of the US with enough space to spare for a 'game room.'

I know some people are like 'pretty rad, better than nothing!', but yeah, I can't be the only person that just sees this as a slap to the face where your only real options is to put up with inflated physical retro game collecting prices or emulate this on fightcade.

Last edited:

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
They didn't #free anything.

The cabinet will be $600 and only a limited run. Besides those Arcade1ups are tiny. Sure you can get a riser but the width is still only 19 inches. Good luck having two grown people playing on that thing. Especially as heated as MvC2 gets.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't #free anything.

The cabinet will be $600 and only a limited run. Besides those Arcade1ups are tiny. Sure you can get a riser but the width is still only 19 inches. Good luck having two grown people playing on that thing. Especially as heated as MvC2 gets.

You forgot the shitty concave buttons in a non-ergonomic layout and bat-top stick. Shit, for 600€ I'm expecting a better buttons/stick/layout combo.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah watching Max's video on it, you kind of get the feeling he's really biting his tongue alot not to voice his frustration how his appeal got co-opted.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot the shitty concave buttons in a non-ergonomic layout and bat-top stick. Shit, for 600€ I'm expecting a better buttons/stick/layout combo.
These 1Up cabinets are about appealing to people's nostalgia first and foremost, and the straight button layout and Happ-style stick/buttons were what the cabinets that most Americans played the game on had.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah watching Max's video on it, you kind of get the feeling he's really biting his tongue alot not to voice his frustration how his appeal got co-opted.

A1up saw a business opportunity and seized it, can't knock the hustle, technically correct is the best kind (tm).

But I'm highly skeptical of claims that because of #FREEMVC2 is why this cabinet exists, we have 3 years of Marvel cabinets that telegraph this was in the works beforehand and leaks… this is the natural conclusion. It's all good timing.

Best case, Digital Eclipse got in there for the console release when the A1up rights expire, and I'm still somewhat optimistic about that. Until then friends, fightcade exists.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
One last time...?

Not what people wanted.

Especially if you don't live in the US, or want to play on the go on public transport or on a business trip, or if you want to play with gamepad.

Getting current access to MVC2 and it's online community now demands you stash as much money as you need for a brand new new console or GPU, but make way bigger concession in living space to prominently feature a giant pressed wood novelty in your home. On top of the importing logistics and additional appliances and hardware to convert the voltage, it's really not ideal for a couple living in a one bedroom in London without kids. Thanks Arcade1up for making the 'one last time' this game is made available, actually completely unavailable to most the world.

JanusIsMagus

Banned
Jun 27, 2022
Also, I have to say I'm kind of amused that they demoed this at EVO with "at EVO" being a hotel room instead of the convention floor. I double checked that I wasn't just blind and didn't miss the booth and verified that A1Up was not a vendor there. This seems like something that would have been fun to show off at a booth.
Yeah, this stinks like the Intellevision Amico being "at CES" but not on the show floor. I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware specs aren't nailed down yet. As others have pointed out, you can't emulate either Dreamcast or NAOMI on a potato.

JanusIsMagus

Banned
Jun 27, 2022
Best case, Digital Eclipse got in there for the console release when the A1up rights expire, and I'm still somewhat optimistic about that. Until then friends, fightcade exists.

I think it's going to be an uphill battle to get Disney/Marvel to play ball on it, unfortunately. Those depictions of Marvel characters are waaaay off-brand nowadays. A one-and-done arcade cabinet is one thing. Hosting it online as a service kind of makes it more of a real piece of their portfolio.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Would be a good promotional fit with X-Men '97 coming out next year, it's mostly those designs in the game.

I think you're right, even befor X-Men 97's release there's a lot of 90s nostalgia for those characters that you can easily access at anytime on Disney+ or your local comic shop. What's more the art and design that Bengus put out for those Capcom Marvel works are sublime. Besides that, Marvel regularly leans into way more absurd or off-brand stuff like making action figures of Captain America when he was in werewolf form or collecting a bunch of out of touch anti-drug Spider-Man PSA comics from the 70s.

I hardly think relicensing a game that university cherished, respected for its quality and evolution of the genre, and one remains perpetual fixture in the fighting game community is the main issue at this point—the Street Fighter anniversary collection shows there's still a mint to be made from collecting Capcom's 90 2D fighters. The big issue seems to be that Arcade1up has been ordained as the sole and exclusive gatekeeper of Capcom's Marvel works, and they aren't going to play friendly with the license when they have a large stock albatross sized novelty machines to push through Walmart.

It's straight up misfortune that the loving community behind MVC2 MUST be US residents with enough extra space in their living area to prominently feature a piece of novelty furniture with few available options to modify the display or control inputs. (Sorry city dwellers or people in Europe!) Instead of budgeting $30-$70 for a well curated collection like TMNT cowabunga collection, consumers have to put in the same financial consideration as a new GPU or current Gen console. If you told me a year or two ago that the FGC could far, far more easily access SNES TMNT Tournament fighters compared to MVC2, I would have told you that you were crazy. But here we are, in a marketplace where just about any modern fighting game and it's community can be accessed any time anywhere on home consoles, steam deck, switch, and PC; MVC2 is only available on the market as a luxury novelty item solely limited to North America. Nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
seems like target put up preorders early

www.target.com

Arcade1Up Marvel vs Capcom 2 Home Arcade

Read reviews and buy Arcade1Up Marvel vs Capcom 2 Home Arcade at Target. Choose from contactless Same Day Delivery, Drive Up and more.

(The name/product photos/UPC appear correct although it currently has the wrong description)