• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Ugh... And I suppose there's no (more official) way to upgrade my MVC1 cab to MVC2, is there?

Your best bet would be to try to buy the MvC2 pcb off of eBay or Facebook marketplace. There's a good chance you'd be able to simply hook that pcb up to everything in your existing cab. Obviously, I don't know for sure, but the controller deck encoder is most likely the same and both cabs use the same monitor. I suppose the only other thing that could cause an issue would be the wifi, but the MvC2 pcb has an ethernet port, so you could get around that. This is all speculative on my part, but the community will figure these things out and share within days of release.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Your best bet would be to try to buy the MvC2 pcb off of eBay or Facebook marketplace. There's a good chance you'd be able to simply hook that pcb up to everything in your existing cab. Obviously, I don't know for sure, but the controller deck encoder is most likely the same and both cabs use the same monitor. I suppose the only other thing that could cause an issue would be the wifi, but the MvC2 pcb has an ethernet port, so you could get around that. This is all speculative on my part, but the community will figure these things out and share within days of release.
Will do!

I just hope Arcade1Up has the foresight to also have an upgrade kit...

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
What a freaking curse. One last time this gets released and it's a complete impossibility to snag one considering I live outside the US in London with very little space and disposable income and a wife that would ferociously shoot down the idea of a novelty machine taking up room in the flat.

$60 for a digital collection, I could do.

Oh well.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What a freaking curse. One last time this gets released and it's a complete impossibility to snag one considering I live outside the US in London with very little space and disposable income and a wife that would ferociously shoot down the idea of a novelty machine taking up room in the flat.

$60 for a digital collection, I could do.

Oh well.

Same

After years of wanting an easy way to play on PS4 / PS5, hearing 'the last time we will release this game you want will cost you $500, and that's even if you can pay more and import it because we won't be selling it in your country' feels like a FU

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah fuck that one last time on an arcade cab for a few hundred bucks. PC/Console release please.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
The interesting thing is someone on a stream (not John D) said that Arcade1up has the exclusive rights to the game and if a console or pc port were to happen it would have to be through them. Not sure how accurate that is, but I feel like the person who said it (can't remember who) is close with John D and Arcade1up.
I hate this fucking industry. Thank god they didn't pull this with the TMNT games.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
We heard you loud and clear so we will give you the complete opposite of what you want and be done with it. This couldn't be done without your support.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I hate this fucking industry. Thank god they didn't pull this with the TMNT games.

Ughhhh beyond the price, global availability, fact my wife and I don't want some kitschy 3:4th scale (or any scale) arcade cabinet in our house; just the fact there's a trove of prime Bengus marvel art associated with these games that both Capcom in house and digital eclipse would do an amazing job of collecting and presenting is tragic and we are living a middle poor timeline as far as Capcom marvel games go. Like, there's so many gamers who prefer playing on things like steam deck and switch on the go, not sitting down at some visually demanding home decoration monstrosity.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
No way Disney and Capcom keep MvC2 on a novelty $600 mini arcade cabinet.

My guess is the game will be exclusive to Arcade1up for a while, but then we'll get a $50 MvC collection in 2023.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Ughhhh beyond the price, global availability, fact my wife and I don't want some kitschy 3:4th scale (or any scale) arcade cabinet in our house; just the fact there's a trove of prime Bengus marvel art associated with these games that both Capcom in house and digital eclipse would do an amazing job of collecting and presenting is tragic and we are living a middle poor timeline as far as Capcom marvel games go. Like, there's so many gamers who prefer playing on things like steam deck and switch on the go, not sitting down at some visually demanding home decoration monstrosity.
Do yourself a favor and grab this.

81W9gmdX0QL.jpg

Or better yet, just download scans because this shit is long out of print and expensive.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
As someone who just plopped down $200 on the Dreamcast version a few months ago, this better not be the "last time" they come together.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not reading anything into the 'one last time' schtick. Sounds like marketing speak to hype up FOMO. Marvel/Capcom would be absolute morons to limit these releases to a niche market when you've got a pool of hundreds of millions console/PC to potentially sell to. They couldn't possible think the 'FreeMvC2' movement meant putting these games exclusively on a $600 cabinet.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The interesting thing is someone on a stream (not John D) said that Arcade1up has the exclusive rights to the game and if a console or pc port were to happen it would have to be through them. Not sure how accurate that is, but I feel like the person who said it (can't remember who) is close with John D and Arcade1up.
I don't buy this at all. The reason A1UP can pull this off is almost certainly because they're not working around video game software contracts and these physical cabs are not considered the same category. If publishers have certain software exclusivity windows for publishing certain "software" with certain characters, character branding, etc these cabs shouldn't be impacted.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
What about those of us that can't play on stick? Not even making it accessible for us... Back to the 360 it is.
I wish this+Third Strike Online+MvC Origins+SSF2THDR was at least backcompat 😞

I recently bought the Hori octapad controller too.

I may just resort to getting emulators setup for some of these instead

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I got my copy maybe a week before the games were all pulled initially and do not regret it. It's also not quite an accurate title, as it's all of the Marvel work Capcom did prior to Infinite. Including Punisher and the other pre-MvC stuff.

I remember getting mine back in June 2012 from Amazon, still have it! It would be cool if they released an updated collection with MVCI but I'll take what I can get!

Jun 12, 2018
The people want this collection along with UMVC3 on all modern consoles, with rollback netcode and crossplay

That's it. Not an arcade cabinet, as cool as it is

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
As someone who just plopped down $200 on the Dreamcast version a few months ago, this better not be the "last time" they come together.

Agreed. If this is the last time these titles hit the market, it is a damn shame. The issue with 1up having the mentality of locking down absolute exclusivity and ordaining themselves the sole keepers of these beloved titles is that it artificially and greatly limits the community and their overtly stated desire to play these games online.

They are limiting the game to only be sold in North America and forcing consumers who have been begging for access to MVC2 and it's predecessors for years to purchase tremendously expensive novelty furniture when they may not be able to reasonably give space to such items. It seems that it is completely out of touch with the fgc.

Do arcade 1up machines even feature good net code? If you were to spend a fortune importing these to the EU or Japan and supply the necessary power conversion, could you even get consistent access to online battles? What are the control options beyond Arcade1ups joystick panel and the immediate specialty aftermarket mods?

On one hand, it's amazing to have these titles back, but on the other hand to have this be the last and ultimate release of these titles in this form, limiting the competitive community and demanding massive concessions in price and space—seems like a slap to the face.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Can they at least make the 360 releases bc? Fucking Capcom.

That one really isn't on Capcom. Getting it backwards compatible would've involved getting a new licensing deal
Maximillian had no involvement or even awareness of this. Arcade1up piggybacked off of what he started without his involvement or awareness. He even talked about this when it got announced. He was both excited for it but had some thoughts.

I think Maximillian kind of all but explicitly said that what they're saying is technically true but not necessarily in the spirit of what he was trying to accomplish? He's looking forward to it and planning to get one but also I don't think he necessarily considers the job done until MVC2 gets a new PC/console release. I don't want to put words in his mouth as my memory is bad so you can watch his reaction to the announcement if you want:

View: https://youtu.be/PHsRx9GrqT0

Yeah not going to lie, it does come across as Scummy for 1Up to put themselves in front the hashtag movement to declare themselves the champions of the people giving them what they want....when they're not quite lol

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
lmao at the "one last time" shit. Obvious marketing hype because most people think the series is dead as dirt. And lmao at the cajones in fully trying to leverage #FreeMvC2 for themselves.

One last time until the next time, lmao.

Maximillian had no involvement or even awareness of this. Arcade1up piggybacked off of what he started without his involvement or awareness. He even talked about this when it got announced. He was both excited for it but had some thoughts.

I think Maximillian kind of all but explicitly said that what they're saying is technically true but not necessarily in the spirit of what he was trying to accomplish? He's looking forward to it and planning to get one but also I don't think he necessarily considers the job done until MVC2 gets a new PC/console release. I don't want to put words in his mouth as my memory is bad so you can watch his reaction to the announcement if you want:

View: https://youtu.be/PHsRx9GrqT0

The whole point of #FreeMvC2 isn't to sell a new version, it's to have it on sale and purchasable for the foreseeable future. MvC2 is currently delisted from all current storefronts and is thus impossible to buy normally. That's what MvC2 is being "freed" from - it's effectively behind a vault and the only way to play it is to have access to an older version for an older console. Which yeah the arcade cab technically solves....if you're willing to shell out $600 to have a goddamn arcade machine in your room. And I guess it's technically online....with the other machines.

tc.png

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
The licensing fee is too much for Capcom to shallow.

I wonder if Capcom has been burned from licensing their Disney stuff on consoles for collections? Or that these ($600) "Toys" from arcade 1up offer Capcom a way better share and profit?

I know that the Street Fighter collection does consistently good numbers, so you would assume it made business sense to make an actually accessible collection for PC and consoles, and not just novelty furniture.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Of course, just like Ubisoft had to strike a deal with Universal to allow King Kong to be bc... oh, wait, they didn't. Because they don't have to, they just need to give the ok to microsoft.

The game got delisted in the first place because Capcom's rights expired. It's the same reason why so many third-party titles didn't make it onto the SNES or PS Classic. Believe it or not, simply because you published a licensed title once before doesn't actually give your carte blanch to eternally re-release it.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The game got delisted in the first place because Capcom's rights expired. It's the same reason why so many third-party titles didn't make it onto the SNES or PS Classic. Believe it or not, simply because you published a licensed title once before doesn't actually give your carte blanch to eternally re-release it.
I've never said anything about re-release, only about allowing the games to be BC. Both Disney and Capcom have to give the ok. We know Disney is fine with aloowing BC, and we know Capcom are a bunch of little shits about it, so it's pretty obvious that Capcom doesn't care to give the ok.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've never said anything about re-release, only about allowing the games to be BC. Both Disney and Capcom have to give the ok. We know Disney is fine with aloowing BC, and we know Capcom are a bunch of little shits about it, so it's pretty obvious that Capcom doesn't care to give the ok.

How do we know Capcom is the one holding things up? I must have missed it.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's rubbing me the wrong way how hard they're trying present this as the answer to the campaign. This is nice and all, but it's not what people most wanted.

It's really not a satisfactory solution at all if you don't live in North America. Availability/price/size makes it unattainable for many many MVC2 fans. I

f the Arcade1up gatekeeping/exclusivity rumors are true, it's really a shame it's not being made seriously available to those who don't live in some suburban McMansion America.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this on the first Xbox? It could've been added to the current backwards compatibility program, that would've been easiest versus a fresh port.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

No, we don't. They are just the most likely culprit. It could be Microsoft, for all we know.

I'm guessing you're forgetting that Marvel went scorched earth with all their licensed games in that time period? MVC2 isn't backwards Compatible for the same reason Ultimate Alliance isn't, the same reason Spider-Man Web of Shadows, Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time, the same reason Deadpool isn't.

I made the SNES/PS Classic comparison because it's the same exact thing. Once the IP license expires, that publisher no longer has the authority to re-release or even allow it to be digitally backward compatible through the Xbox system. It's all emulation so it requires a new licensing deal.

If that weren't the case then literally every 360 game would've been added to the BC program.

MoxManiac

Nov 17, 2017
How do we know Capcom is the one holding things up? I must have missed it.

We don't. We don't and have never known the actual barriers, issues and conversations at Capcom and Disney regarding the series and re-releasing the games. All we have to go by are vague explanations from people involved in the licensing process who may or may not have an agenda (John D does, to sell cabinets)