• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The interesting thing is someone on a stream (not John D) said that Arcade1up has the exclusive rights to the game and if a console or pc port were to happen it would have to be through them. Not sure how accurate that is, but I feel like the person who said it (can't remember who) is close with John D and Arcade1up.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If the last time the game gets released is this expensive mini-cab, it might as well have not happened at all. You're hitting about .5% of the audience that has been clamoring for a modern port with this.

Stupid all around.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
… one last time?

Seriously?

Put this damn game on PC and modern consoles already. :|

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Got excited for a split second before I realized they were talking about cabinets lmao

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
$599 USD 😬

Don't get me wrong, the cabinet is sick and I would love to have it. But $599 😬

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The interesting thing is someone on a stream (not John D) said that Arcade1up has the exclusive rights to the game and if a console or pc port were to happen it would have to be through them. Not sure how accurate that is, but I feel like the person who said it (can't remember who) is close with John D and Arcade1up.
I think Console Kits may have mentioned it, it sounds familiar. He generally has solid info but I wouldn't take it for fact since it'd have to be at least second-hand, something could have gotten lost in the translation since there's also iiRcade and other cabinet makers out there.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's been quite a while since Aliens vs Predator was released on that other arcade stick thingy by Capcom and not even a rumor since of it getting a home release.
So maybe these expensive awkward shaped physical arcade collections are where licensed nightmares go to die.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the way deals have been happening with these arcade machines feels completely tone deaf to what people actually want and are asking for with modern releases, with this being the ultimate culmination of it. The whole FreeMVC2 thing feels like it was specifically manufactured for this and they are now acting like this is what people wanted? Just strange.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
What about those of us that can't play on stick? Not even making it accessible for us... Back to the 360 it is.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Did they ever pretend that this was in response to FreeMvC2?

I very much doubt the word choice there, they are saying this to drum up sales. Arcade 1Ups are crazy expensive and they know there's less of a chance that people buy one if they know a console release is coming.

It will happen.

Maybe after Square finally releases FF Pixel Remaster on consoles.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
John D said in the A1U Facebook group to preorder because the demand is greater than what is available.

#freedmvc2

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So it sucks but I could see Arcade1up having some kind of exclusivity around this game for as long as their license agreement lasts or some other agreed upon stretch of time. In addition to that, Arcade1up would've been the ones to pay for this version of the game to get made so they probably have some degree of ownership or say over this specific version of MVC2 in this cabinet.

So Marvel and Capcom couldn't take the version of MVC2 in this cabinet and through it up for sale on PSN without getting the go ahead from Arcade1up but if they wanted to pay for their own version to be made (or if Capcom wanted to make a version themselves) they absolutely could (once the exclusivity period is up) which I believe is standard for Arcade1up's cabinets as they pay for the emulation work for the games in their cabinets. So Arcade1up didn't buy their way into some partial permanent ownership of this game, they just have some timed exclusivity period with the game and some kind of ownership/say over the version of MVC2 they paid to have made for this cabinet.

It's funny because I own the first TMNT Arcade1up cabinet and the Capcom SF2 themed tabletop cabinet so I can speak to their quality. I've wanted to get another but their prices going up had driven me off. When this was first announced I was planning to make an exception and buy this as I love all the games here. That said, the way they're really pushing this as exclusive and saying things like "one last time" is really off putting to me.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao @ Arcade1up snatching the #FreeMVC2 thing, like it was what people asked for.

Anyway, it's just marketing talk. They wouldn't even know if there was some talks regarding a PC/Consoles re-release.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Did they ever pretend that this was in response to FreeMvC2?

I very much doubt the word choice there, they are saying this to drum up sales. Arcade 1Ups are crazy expensive and they know there's less of a chance that people buy one if they know a console release is coming.

It will happen.

Maybe after Square finally releases FF Pixel Remaster on consoles.
They literally had a Arcade1up person wearing a #FREEDMVC2 hat in the reveal stream with Justin Wong and I think Wong even may have uttered #FREEDMVC2 in that stream. It may not be in any official marketing materials but they're definitely piggybacking off of that whole thing.
John D said in the A1U Facebook group to preorder because the demand is greater than what is available.

#freedmvc2
John D said Capcom granted them permission to delete the source code. lol. I feel like that's the tone of how Arcade1up is discussing this release. Not a fan of how fucking hard they're pushing the exclusivity and availability of this game. Capcom and Marvel must have really racked them over the coals in licensing fees (not to mention tech wise MVC2 would be among the highest spec games they've ever had to emulate). I say this as I've never seen Arcade1up push a cabinet along with it's exclusivity and availability this hard.

They've had limited edition variants of existing Arcade1up cabinets that they'll push the limited nature of but otherwise I can't really ever recall them pushing what the availability of a cabinet will be or recall them ever discussing any sort of exclusivity prior to this. Also, it's worth noting that this will be the 4th or 5th Arcade1up product to feature X-men vs Street Fighter and MVC1 in it so apparently the licensing fees for MVC2 must be fairly notably higher than it is for those games (not to mention those games are cheaper/easier to emulate).

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
i do not see this being the last time MVC2 is commercially available ever again but I am also grateful that Fightcade has progressed far enough in recent times to obsolete the need for an official release on PC, at least.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
After the direct to consumer release of Dragon's Lair did we expect them not to continue down this path with super niche and expensive licenses? They've also done some work on this title apparently given that all characters are unlocked and they are using their own p2p multiplayer service.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Really? Does make me think about the motivation and source of the hashtag now.
Maximillian had no involvement or even awareness of this. Arcade1up piggybacked off of what he started without his involvement or awareness. He even talked about this when it got announced. He was both excited for it but had some thoughts.

I think Maximillian kind of all but explicitly said that what they're saying is technically true but not necessarily in the spirit of what he was trying to accomplish? He's looking forward to it and planning to get one but also I don't think he necessarily considers the job done until MVC2 gets a new PC/console release. I don't want to put words in his mouth as my memory is bad so you can watch his reaction to the announcement if you want:

View: https://youtu.be/PHsRx9GrqT0

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
F**k you.

Trying to attach yourself to the Tweet movement when everyone knows full well that isn't what we meant is even more pathetic.

"You asked for it guys!"

F**k off.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
After the direct to consumer release of Dragon's Lair did we expect them not to continue down this path with super niche and expensive licenses? They've also done some work on this title apparently given that all characters are unlocked and they are using their own p2p multiplayer service.

John D replied to a FB post, confirming it will be available at Best Buy. I don't think this will be as limited as we are being led to believe. Yes it will sell out, eventually. Not instantly.

Maximillian had no involvement or even awareness of this. Arcade1up piggybacked off of what he started without his involvement or awareness. He even talked about this when it got announced. He was both excited for it and kind of mixed on it seemed like, as he's promoted their products in the past and is friends with Justin Wong (who most likely wasn't looped into the business aspects of this like exclusivity).

I think Maximillian kind of all but explicitly said that what they're saying is technically true but not necessarily in the spirit of what he was trying to accomplish? He's looking forward to it and planning to get one but also I don't think he necessarily considers the job done until MVC2 gets a new PC/console release. I don't want to put words in his mouth as my memory is bad so you can watch his reaction to the announcement if you want:

View: https://youtu.be/PHsRx9GrqT0

Thank you! I will watch this.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
They literally had a Arcade1up person wearing a #FREEDMVC2 hat in the reveal stream with Justin Wong and I think Wong even may have uttered #FREEDMVC2 in that stream. It may not be in any official marketing materials but they're definitely piggybacking off of that whole thing.

John D said Capcom granted them permission to delete the source code. lol. I feel like that's the tone of how Arcade1up is discussing this release. Not a fan of how fucking hard they're pushing the exclusivity and availability of this game. Capcom and Marvel must have really racked them over the coals in licensing fees (not to mention tech wise MVC2 would be among the highest spec games they've ever had to emulate). I say this as I've never seen Arcade1up push a cabinet along with it's exclusivity and availability this hard.

They've had limited edition variants of existing Arcade1up cabinets that they'll push the limited nature of but otherwise I can't really ever recall them pushing what the availability of a cabinet will be or recall them ever discussing any sort of exclusivity prior to this. Also, it's worth noting that this will be the 4th or 5th Arcade1up product to feature X-men vs Street Fighter and MVC1 in it so apparently the licensing fees for MVC2 must be fairly notably higher than it is for those games (not to mention those games are cheaper/easier to emulate).

I think Console Kits on YouTube said the new SFII yoga flame cab has the same upgraded chipset that the MvC2 cab runs on. Pretty good chance the new MK30th cab has it as well. Those machines don't need that chipset, but they placed a larger order and got a better price on them.

And the new cab design is clearly inspired by the Midway cabs from the 90's, yet they are using same design for Capcom cabs as well. So, same cab design, same chipset to minimize costs across 4 different cabs. Yet, MvC2 will be $100 more. Good chance some or all of that extra money is due to licensing. Not that I'm complaining. I'm into collecting these cabs and super stoked for MvC2.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the preorders will also be available on BestBuy or if it's only going to be directly through them.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Kind of sucks I bought the MVC cabinet and now there's one that includes that and MVC2 haha oh well I modded it anyways, they are making it financially unfeasible for people to own the game legitimately though

Oct 27, 2017

Correct me if Im wrong, but is this like how AtGames is holding Ms. Pac Man hostage?

John D said Capcom granted them permission to delete the source code.

What the fuck is this shit? Am I not reading this correctly? I've heard of sources being lost, but this…

For years, I hoped that we'd get Jim Stephanie Sterling to do a video about this game vs toy licensing bullshit. Hopefully, this will be the straw that broke the camels back. (Not to Segway, but are they no longer on this site. I can't @ them anymore…)

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Correct me if Im wrong, but is this like how AtGames is holding Ms. Pac Man hostage?

What the fuck is this shit? Am I not reading this correctly? I've heard of sources being lost, but this…

For years, I hoped that we'd get Jim Stephanie Sterling to do a video about this game vs toy licensing bullshit. Hopefully, this will be the straw that broke the camels back. (Not to Segway, but are they no longer on this site. I can't @ them anymore…)

I'm not aware of any deal AtGames has for Ms. Pac-Man. Arcade1up has released several Ms. Pac-Man cabs.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think being able to delete the source code meant Arcade1up was able to delete their source code for their MvC2 machines. Not Capcom's source code. Meaning Capcom nor Disney have any rights to their version of the code. Which isn't a big deal. It's confirmed to be based on the arcade version, so it's surely just an arcade rom running on an emulator all in a somewhat custom container.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not aware of any deal AtGames has for Ms. Pac-Man. Arcade1up has released several Ms. Pac-Man cabs.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think being able to delete the source code meant Arcade1up was able to delete their source code for their MvC2 machines. Not Capcom's source code. Meaning Capcom nor Disney have any rights to their version of the code. Which isn't a big deal. It's confirmed to be based on the arcade version, so it's surely just an arcade rom running on an emulator all in a somewhat custom container.
That was a joke on my part just FYI. Joking about how hard they're pushing the exclusivity and limited nature of this and how much reporting around this is focused around what John D has to say. So no, John D did not actually say Capcom gave them permission to delete the source code. Apologies for not making that joke clear enough before.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like this is licensed as a toy, as opposed to a digital and/or physical game, which would be a whole different type of deal that would need to be struck.

lame shit

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if they really want to declare a game as abandonware with no commercial future beyond this run of cabs, thus removing any moral issue with downloading the ISO and playing it on PC or Xbox via emulator, I'm not going to stand in their way.

MVC is free indeed.

Oct 27, 2017

True About the Ms Pac A1UP, but I was referring to this:

arstechnica.com

Bandai Namco scrubs Ms. Pac-Man from its own classic game

Pac-Land re-release includes "Pac-Mom" in place of the legally disputed "Miss."

Hope MVC2 doesn't have a similar deal in place.
That was a joke on my part just FYI. Joking about how hard they're pushing the exclusivity and limited nature of this and how much reporting around this is focused around what John D has to say. So no, John D did not actually say Capcom gave them permission to delete the source code. Apologies for not making that joke clear enough before.

Phew! No harm, no foul. Still, I'd still would love to see a JSS video on the Topic.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
It's great that they made a virtual cabinet machine to give us a nostalgic arcade experience. Did they announced on what systems will be released?

Oh, it's not a virtual cabinet, this is a true cabinet... Oh... Yes, MvC2 is free indeed...