• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky try to pin the overall size of the game as big as KOTOR 2 (maybe a bit smaller) and are agreeable to a suggested (by the interviewer) 15 to 40 hour length for The Outer Worlds. The video is a surprisingly candid talk about fan expectations and is well worth a watch.

Last edited:

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If this game is a hit just imagine what they can do with a sequel with that ms money

Cant wait

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If more devs can aim for the 20-30 hour mark instead of 100 and focus on quality rather than quantity, I'm all for it

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds right in line with the Mass Effect, KOTOR, and Deus Ex games. 25-30ish hours with multiple playthroughs and/or lots of save scumming to toy around with various choices and see different outcomes. Can't fucking wait.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think this is more a replacement for Mass Effect/KOTOR than for something like New Vegas/Bethesda Games. Which is fine with me, there's possibly Cyberpunk for that. Definitely my most anticipated game this year.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I think he's saying that some people expect a Bethesda like game and it's not going to be that, that's cool imo cause I love short games.

Oct 25, 2017
"about as big as Kotor 2" sound just like what I want honestly.
I'm all for some "smaller" RPGs with more character and personality and dense hand crafted locations.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's saying that some people expect a Bethesda like game and it's not going to be that, that's cool imo cause I love short games.

well it was hailed as a spiritual successor to New Vegas right away, until details started dropping i was under impression this was somewhat within range of a bethesda rpg. i'm open to however it goes but i can see some general confusion on that front

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
well it was hailed as a spiritual successor to New Vegas right away, until details started dropping i was under impression this was somewhat within range of a bethesda rpg. i'm open to however it goes but i can see some general confusion on that front
It's not an open world for starters so not really a new Vegas but in terms of length it might be the same. It also looks more polished than nv and the gunplay looks better so I'm very hyped.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

If this does well I wouldn't be shocked to see The Outer Worlds 2 make a Witcher 2-to-Witcher 3 type leap with a full on BGS/New Vegas-esque open world experience if that's the direction Obsidian wanted to take things. Honestly I'm all-in on whatever.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this does well I wouldn't be shocked to see The Outer Worlds 2 make a Witcher 2-to-Witcher 3 type leap with a full on BGS/New Vegas-esque open world experience if that's the direction Obsidian wanted to take things. Honestly I'm all-in on whatever.

Speaking of which, would the sequel to this game be an Xbox/PC exclusive, now that Obsidian is owned by Microsoft? Or is this gonna be a situation where Microsoft will allow Obsidian to release on the PlayStation as well like they've done with Minecraft?

Either way, I'm super excited for this game. I've been wanting Obsidian to do something like this for ages.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Speaking of which, would the sequel to this game be an Xbox/PC exclusive, now that Obsidian is owned by Microsoft? Or is this gonna be a situation where Microsoft will allow Obsidian to release on the PlayStation as well like they've done with Minecraft?

Either way, I'm super excited for this game. I've been wanting Obsidian to do something like this for ages.

Take-Two likely has right of first refusal.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Day 1 for me, KOTOR II is a masterpiece and with that series basically dead and Mass Effect in decline/hibernation I need my space RPG fix.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR 1 and 2 are some of my favourite games of all time.

That's the perfect length of RPG for me. I'll take medium sized, highly replayable RPGs over these vast, sprawling open world games I'll rarely, if ever, find the time and motivation to complete.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think this is more a replacement for Mass Effect/KOTOR than for something like New Vegas/Bethesda Games. Which is fine with me, there's possibly Cyberpunk for that. Definitely my most anticipated game this year.
Cyberpunk will be nothing like bethesda games and more like obsidian and old bioware, its just it will be the size of their own witchers.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'll take polished games with no filler over stupidly long games with tons of unfun crap just for the sake of making it longer to complete (Dragon Age 3 comes to mind).

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018

Any sequel will be developed in house by Take Two.

I think Obsidians first game for Xbox will be a new IP

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This I did not know.

For convenience sake I think Obsidian still make a new IP next

Obsidian has 4 game directors.

Cain and Boyarsky are probably going to team up for The Outer Worlds 2, and the only way they wouldn't would be the case is if MS couldn't buyout Private Division. It would be out of necessity that they would then start a new IP, not convenience.

Convenience would be MS getting a buyout done and them being able to continue developing the IP, which would be ideal to MS because if the game is as good as it looks and is well received critically and commercially, that basically gives them a new core IP to develop for years to come, and it'll be a draw to consumers who played the game on PS4 and would have to buy into their ecosystem to play the sequel.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Love a reactive RPG short enough for me to actually replay it. Some of the best RPGs of all time, including Fallout, fall somewhere in the hour ranges they're throwing out (granted, it sounds like KotOR 2 may be a better proxy for the game's structure than the more open-ended Fallout).

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes. I'm sick of +200 hour games that put content over quality. Around 40 hours sound perfect for me. Hopefully they continue to develop games of this size with MS and release one every 2 years.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather have a tight story and game than something that sprawls out but is pretty shallow.

Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed my time with some open world games, but the ones that were more focused on story than exploration would have been better served as a linear game. Some games are open world to check a box rather than utilizing the format. I welcome the Outer Worlds having a smaller world.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
About as big as KOTOR 2 is quite small. But KOTOR 2 had such a powerful narrative - hopefully the Outer Worlds has a similarly focused narrative.

Which is fine, but a part of me was really hoping for a sprawling New Vegas successor where there were great side quests around every corner.

Still have very very high hopes for this of course.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds right in line with the Mass Effect, KOTOR, and Deus Ex games. 25-30ish hours with multiple playthroughs and/or lots of save scumming to toy around with various choices and see different outcomes. Can't fucking wait.

Yes, i always forget how short mass effect games are. But the characters and dialogue are what really keep you coming back just to see all the consequences and actions.