• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
IRL braindancing, for immersion.

I absolutely hate any strong flickering lights in any media and I fail to see why people are using it at all. Like there should be alternative ways, except if you are intentionally aiming for giving nausea to the viewer.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
You are assuming the folks on the ratings board are aware of the pattern. These things are mere formalities outside of graphical violence or nudity.
That's why I said it reflects poorly on them. It's not like the ratings boards are unable to research patterns that are prone to causing seizures.

As you said, ratings are more so formalities these days and I think that sucks. If a game has a segment or sequence that has a high chance of causing a seizure there should be more than the bog standard warning games throw up.
There's an entire sequence in that film that, frankly, people should be put in jail for. There's not a single case of epilepsy in my entire extended family and even I felt uncomfortable.

They really don't care beyond maybe enforcing those generic-ass warning screens.
Damn, that sounds real shitty.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
My biggest 'fuck CDPR' of the day.

Seriously - if you're reading this CDPR - fuck you. This is ableist, childish, and incredibly dangerous. You clearly have a flagrant disregard for the wellbeing of so many in the world who are not as privileged as you. Stop attacking the marginalised.

Oct 27, 2017
There's an entire sequence in that film that, frankly, people should be put in jail for. There's not a single case of epilepsy in my entire extended family and even I felt uncomfortable.

They really don't care beyond maybe enforcing those generic-ass warning screens.
I just watched it once, is it the part where

Elastigirl gets trapped while searching for the bad guy and lots of monitors go off? I think that's the scene

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
exactly, i imagine what the article refers to is variable strobing patterns that are throughout the game

The article specifically refers to white and red blinking lights being especially likely to cause seizures and then says that there is a repeated element in the game where red and white blinking lights are very close to the character's face in a way that is very similar to how doctor's deliberately induce seizures in our real world.

It probably wasn't intended, obviously, but it's still pretty wild no one at any point thought, "Hey, do flashing lights really really close to the player's face ever cause issues for people? There's nothing I've ever seen at the front of every game I've ever played that's making me think I should consider the possible consequences here..."

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
exactly, i imagine what the article refers to is variable strobing patterns that are throughout the game

The article has the general variable strobing patterns as a general warning in the other paragraphs. The OP's paragraph is about a specific repeating sequence that uses a pattern and method very close to what's used to trigger seizures for diagnostic purposes in the medical field.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
The article specifically refers to white and red blinking lights being especially likely to cause seizures and then says that there is a repeated element in the game where red and white blinking lights are very close to the character's face in a way that is very similar to how doctor's deliberately induce seizures in our real world.

It probably wasn't intended, obviously, but it's still pretty wild no one at any point thought, "Hey, do flashing lights really really close to the player's face ever cause issues for people? There's nothing I've ever seen at the front of every game I've ever played that's making me think I should consider the possible consequences here..."
but the thing is, people prone to this can't handle strobing at all

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You've got to be kidding me CDPR
fetchimage

I'm surprised Liana Ruppert isn't more angry about all the sections of the game that can trigger seizures. Nothing even like "I wish the game devs had consulted with people with epilepsy or accessibility orgs".

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
but the thing is, people prone to this can't handle strobing at all

Maybe you should read the article since it goes into all this? The person who wrote it had a seizure while playing the game and specifically says that red and white lights are more likely to trigger seizures due to her own personal experiences with them. Do you think you know more about her experience than she does?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
while most games nowadays have general epileptic warnings, you really want to avoid shit like this

The headset fits over both eyes and features a rapid onslaught of white and red blinking LEDs, much like the actual device neurologists use in real life to trigger a seizure when they need to trigger one for diagnosis purposes

like, you really don't want ANYTHING close to what they use to consistently trigger seizures irl

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Glad the word is getting out about this. We don't want another Pokemon Anime situation where viewers get seizures by viewing it. Thank you OP for bringing awareness to this potential health risk.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Link to this? Not seeing anything on Google.

They only posted it on the CDPR Facebook apparently?

www.facebook.com

CD PROJEKT RED

CD PROJEKT RED, Warsaw, Poland. 484,853 likes · 88 talking about this. Welcome to the official facebook page of CD PROJEKT RED. Find out about our latest news, events, job

I guess it only really impacts the lore book now that they've updated the game code, but still.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oh good, lets add this to the growing pile.

Still amazed that Pixar and Disney actually went through with that fight scene.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Glad the word is getting out about this. We don't want another Pokemon Anime situation where viewers get seizures by viewing it. Thank you OP for bringing awareness to this potential health risk.

True. Didn't Rise of the Skywalker have the same issues? Hopefully they have a warning at least before you boot up the game and the work on a setting so they can control the blinking.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
You don't buy an epileptic journalist detailing her experience with this sequence of flashing from when she was diagnosed to compare it in the game? Now you're just trolling
I dont think people are denying that it can cause seizures...lots of games have epilepsy warnings. Its the they did it on purpose that seems ridiculous.

Obviously an issue that needs corrected asap.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, shit this is gonna make my playthrough a bitch to do. My wife is epileptic. Don't get me wrong I'm aware of plenty of problematic shit with this game already and expecting to side eye a lot of it but I'm gonna need to keep an eye out for this headset and ask my wife to leave the room whenever it appears for her health? Wtf CDPR... how many ways can you fuck up?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
You've got to be kidding me CDPR
fetchimage

I'm surprised Liana Ruppert isn't more angry about all the sections of the game that can trigger seizures. Nothing even like "I wish the game devs had consulted with people with epilepsy or accessibility orgs".

She has no expectations. In the article she mentions how sick Dead Space made her but she kept at it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Well, shit this is gonna make my playthrough a bitch to do. My wife is epileptic. Don't get me wrong I'm aware of plenty of problematic shit with this game already and expecting to side eye a lot of it but I'm gonna need to keep an eye out for this headset and ask my wife to leave the room whenever it appears for her health? Wtf CDPR... how many ways can you fuck up?
make sure you read the article, they tell you where the general triggers are so you can help your wife avoid them

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
They only posted it on the CDPR Facebook apparently?

www.facebook.com

CD PROJEKT RED

CD PROJEKT RED, Warsaw, Poland. 484,853 likes · 88 talking about this. Welcome to the official facebook page of CD PROJEKT RED. Find out about our latest news, events, job

I guess it only really impacts the lore book now that they've updated the game code, but still.

Don't see it there either. Most recent post is from Dec 5 advertising the Lizzie's Bar poster and keychain.

Mar 3, 2019
This says a lot about Ratings Boards if none of them denied a rating to the game for something like this.

There's a big difference between generic flashing lights and lights flashing in a pattern similar to those used in the medical field to induce seizures.

I mean, isnt this a game with massive nudity/dildos everywhere. The game is probally a rating board nightmare

Oct 25, 2017
There is no fucking way they can't change it to not cause seizures but still give a similar presentation that they want. Joke Joke Joke status.

Oct 29, 2017
At best, this was a really, really huge oversight, and that's being generous.

Imagine if all publishers and platforms had epilepsy guidelines like these, except that they'd be mandatory. It's up to them to set the standard. Ignorance of the problem, financial concerns, and dismissal of the affected population of players shouldn't be excuses for dropping inclusivity.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Hopefully they patch it out on day 1 so users don't have to suffer through it. You can definitely get a similar effect while making sure you're not potentially messing with people's health.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
make sure you read the article, they tell you where the general triggers are so you can help your wife avoid them
Thanks! Shall do. Its kind of unreal something like this made it through testing. I've never had to be prepped like this for her over a game. She's low on the photosensitivity side usually and more triggered by stress etc but she's had these tests done and they sure as hell work on her.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the heads up! I shared this on my social media for any friends/family of mine that may be playing the game. I have a few family members that suffer from epileptic seizures, so this is good to know.

I imagine it will be patched out ASAP. Hopefully an additional patch on day 1. They really need to be on the ball with this type of shit.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think people are denying that it can cause seizures...lots of games have epilepsy warnings. Its the they did it on purpose that seems ridiculous.

Obviously an issue that needs corrected asap.

I mean, that guy's first post in this thread was just praising how good this strobing will be so, that's why people are responding to him in this manner.

I personally, don't think this was an intentional move, no. But the fact it's so similar definitely means some quick action should be taken, as seizures are no joke and this type of patterning might actually trigger it in people who've not ever been diagnosed. Even from the most cynical perspective, just look at the Porygon incident, you don't really want to be remembered as 'that game that caused all those seizures.'

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
True. Didn't Rise of the Skywalker have the same issues? Hopefully they have a warning at least before you boot up the game and the work on a setting so they can control the blinking.
I need to get better informed about these things. I didn't feel good after that one and not just because it was shit.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I mean, that guy's first post in this thread was just praising how good this strobing will be so, that's why people are responding to him in this manner.

I personally, don't think this was an intentional move, no. But the fact it's so similar definitely means some quick action should be taken, as seizures are no joke and this type of patterning might actually trigger it in people who've not ever been diagnosed. Even from the most cynical perspective, just look at the Porygon incident, you don't really want to be remembered as 'that game that caused all those seizures.'
I mean I dont disagree with you . It needs corrected before the game is available and should have ready been fixed . But to say its intentional.....really?

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Whataboutism, dismissing concerns, multiple previous infractions
All of you dumping on CDPR only... If this is such a huge issue how did it get through Sony and MS certification? Sounds like there is plenty of blame to go around.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
IRL braindancing, for immersion.

I absolutely hate any strong flickering lights in any media and I fail to see why people are using it at all. Like there should be alternative ways, except if you are intentionally aiming for giving nausea to the viewer.

I remember getting physical headaches during one section of Control. I've never experienced it before but the flashing lights were so bad I could hardly manage to finish the boss fight with half closing my eyes and frequently looking away from the screen. It's crazy to me that games rely on this shit as a visual effect when it's so harmful.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get better informed about these things. I didn't feel good after that one and not just because it was shit.

I am gonna say most games that I have played had some sort of warning before playing the game about this issue. Most recently Tetris Effect. Movies it feels like every so often. Shocked Speed Racer didn't have one.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
In an age when more and more companies are trying to find ways to innovate and make their games more accessible to people with visual difficulties or impairments, CDPR seems to forget that people with epilepsy exist.

All of you dumping on CDPR only... If this is such a huge issue how did it get through Sony and MS certification? Sounds like there is plenty of blame to go around.

Obviously it shouldn't have got through cert, but perhaps the company that conceived of flashing lights directly into the player's face as a central part of one of their core gameplay mechanics might take a little more responsibility overall.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
People are actually thinking this was done on purpose ? Come on .
I know you've been replied to a dozen times, but I really want to add +1 to the "have you followed this developer AT ALL recently?" train. Because come onnnnn.
Yes. Fuck. When you set the bar so low that you don't meet basic standards of decency on other marginalized groups, why would this be any different? Not saying it's even necessarily likely, but it wouldn't in any way surprise me.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I am gonna say most games that I have played had some sort of warning before playing the game about this issue. Most recently Tetris Effect. Movies it feels like every so often. Shocked Speed Racer didn't have one.
Sure, but it's hard to know which ones have specifics that warrant it and which ones are just doing a catch-all to cover their arses. Tetris Effect is indeed challenging in that respect at times, but I'd say it was worth it for me. Control is one I've been looking forward to playing, but the above posts don't inspire confidence.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I remember getting physical headaches during one section of Control. I've never experienced it before but the flashing lights were so bad I could hardly manage to finish the boss fight with half closing my eyes and frequently looking away from the screen. It's crazy to me that games rely on this shit as a visual effect when it's so harmful.

That section made we quit Control. I was so pissed NO ONE online was talking about that.

Devs, seriously, you dont need flashing lights to make your shit look cool

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I know you've been replied to a dozen times, but I really want to add +1 to the "have you followed this developer AT ALL recently?" train. Because come onnnnn.
Yes. Fuck. When you set the bar so low that you don't meet basic standards of decency on other marginalized groups, why would this be any different? Not saying it's even necessarily likely, but it wouldn't in any way surprise me.
I get the hate people have for cdpr I really do but to think they would intentionally do this? I just can't get on that boat .

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but it's hard to know which ones have specifics that warrant it and which ones are just doing a catch-all to cover their arses. Tetris Effect is indeed challenging in that respect at times, but I'd say it was worth it for me. Control is one I've been looking forward to playing, but the above posts don't inspire confidence.

All games are gonna cover their asses though that's how the world works. My co-workers son has seizures and he can't play most stuff. He just sticks to 2k. It all depends on the person I feel.

It sucks how they don't put in options in all games for this reason some probably do but it isn't a fully across the board thing. The article in the op does state MS is working on something but we don't know how long that will take.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To everyone wondering how this ever could have gotten through certification...you're not alone.