• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.gameinformer.com

Cover Reveal – The Callisto Protocol

The upcoming sci-fi horror game from the creator of Dead Space is our next cover story.

346-reveal-full.jpg

Glen Schofield has spent the last several decades working with some of the biggest publishers on their most massive blockbusters. However, after leaving Activision, Sledgehammer Games, and the Call of Duty franchise behind a few years ago, he wanted to do something new – something uncompromised. The result is Striking Distance Studios, a new development studio Schofield founded alongside several industry veterans with whom he has worked throughout his illustrious career. While Schofield's most recent work is on the Call of Duty series, he's perhaps best known for his status as the creator of another beloved franchise: Dead Space.

With Striking Distance Studios' first game, the team capitalizes upon the expertise and experience of Schofield's team. The comparisons to Dead Space are unavoidable, but make no mistake: The Callisto Protocol is a different beast altogether. We witnessed exclusive, never-before-seen gameplay footage featuring our protagonist, Jacob Lee, trying to survive the terrors of Jupiter's second-larget moon and its suspicious prison. But that's not all; we also spent hours picking the brains of the sci-fi horror masters at Striking Distance Studios. In the story, you'll learn the origin tale of Striking Distance, the process by which it masterfully creates (and pays off) tension, and how the gameplay of The Callisto Protocol works.

cp-cover-reveal.jpg

_346_5_2022_coverstoryhub_v1.jpg

rude

Oct 25, 2017
hard to be impressed without gameplay footage. looks exactly like dead space.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my most anticipated AAA game right now. I'm glad, Glen Schofield left Activision/Sledgehammer, so he can work on his favourite genre.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Pumped for this game! Can't wait to see gameplay and hopefully play it myself next year.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, just as fyi, game is confirmed to release this year, so we should see gameplay at Summer Game Fest.

From Krafton's May 13, 2022 press release:

"The Callisto Protocol, an original survival horror game developed by Striking Distance Studios, is also set to launch in 2022."

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks really neat. Love Dead Space, and this looks right up my alley.

Is this still set in the PUBG universe? Just way in the future?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
that second image.....that's Chris Pratt.....with a mustache

Dec 20, 2017
I'm curious if this is actually going to be set in the same universe as PUBG, or if that was purely a marketing gimmick at the original announcement.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
So how exactly this game gonna be connected to PUBG? I'm curious, but it looks like devs are not really wanna talk about that.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Cool glowey thing on the back of the head, space themed, scary shit my pants graphics and gameplay. From creator of dead space.

In my veins, thanks

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"...the sci-fi horror masters at Striking Distance Studios. In the story, you'll learn the origin tale of Striking Distance, the process by which it masterfully creates (and pays off) tension, and how the gameplay of The Callisto Protocol works."

Alright hold your horses, Brian Shea, before determining a first time developer are masters no matter their past experience. I love Dead Space but I don't need hyperbole to hype me up. It just makes Gameinformer come across as running puff pieces for their features as part of access journalism, compared to EDGE features that are more balanced and realistic in setting expectations.