• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are all actually good, still shit that it's taken this long when these videos have been out there for ages and ages. It took all of this happening for them to finally own up to it. Years of Grumps fans just assuming since they stopped saying slurs and making racially insensitive jokes that they're grown and have learned. They finally addressed it. It's a start, it doesn't fix the problem, but it's a start.

Same goes for everyone else coming out of the woodwork and owning up to their shit lately, hold them accountable going forward when they make promises like this.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I literally just watched my first Game grumps video thirty minutes ago, which was just a random YouTube link I clicked. Without really knowing the situation, I feel that's a good statement.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
for people who might not've known, during the Jontron days back when anytime you hear the "elephant sound", that was JonTron saying the n-word

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
he's apologized tons of time. Someone on Era even sent him an email over some of the other shit from years before during early grumps and he replied back saying he has grown up/apologized.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
he's apologized tons of time. Someone on Era even sent him an email over some of the other shit from years before during early grumps and he replied back saying he has grown up/apologized.
yeah arins always come across as really regretful of that and he has apologized before for it a few times, but this is a better more visable apology that was needed.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch Game Grumps that often, but being aware of Arin since the Newgrounds days, it's kind of unbelievable he is seemingly the only one from that circle that grew out of being a shitty edgelord. That statement is in stark contrast to dudes like Oney or Psychicpebbles who still spout unapologetically racist and ignorant shit.

Arin has said and done a bunch of gross shit over the years too, but I think he's been making a good effort trying to show that he is regretful and moving on.

Ragaar31

Oct 25, 2017
Arin is good people. People need to be allowed to grow and change for the better. I always think it's a shame when someone actively tries to be a better person and people just shit on them for comments from years prior. Yes he said bad things in the past, but he has changed and grown and is now an active voice for good.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Arin is definitely a dumb manbaby, but it's better than JonTron. He absolutely was one of the edgy newgrounds types, but he has since cut ties from Jon, even after their reunion.

Someone in the Twitter thread called out his previous usage, and he replied with an older post:

I don't really watch GameGrumps anymore, specifically because it's just not funny to me anymore, but he's always seemed genuine to me. He's just a stupid caveman, who definitely has roots in the edgy shitty humor of the early 00's. I think he's a good dude who means well, and back when he cut ties with Jon 'extremely right-wing racist' Tron was a good showing. This only furthers it.

But I still won't watch his latest material. Lol.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I don't watch Game Grumps that often, but being aware of Arin since the Newgrounds days, it's kind of unbelievable he is seemingly the only one from that circle that grew out of being a shitty edgelord. That statement is in stark contrast to dudes like Oney or Psychicpebbles who still spout unapologetically racist and ignorant shit.
yeah for sure, i wouldn't be surprised if they were still casually using 'fa***t' on the reg

Deleted member 61909

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
I use to watch Game Grumps even in the Jontron days. To be honest, I don't even know how I survived that era cause FUCK it was terribly racist jokes every episode. But I grin and bear it... I stopped watching them a few years ago after a series of episodes where (the new co-host) Dan would adamantly defend making black jokes where his defense would be "they're just jokes, we should be able to laugh at ourselves!". I even remember him practically bragging one episode about how Jacob Anderson "gave him permission" to do black jokes. I got so tired and angry one day of the "black jokes" Dan was making I seriously considered splicing a video of all the black jokes he made to show how often he leaned to this shitty comedy. I just couldn't grin and bear that shit anymore and dipped.

I do appreciate this statement because being a former long time game grump fan I've seen how Arin has changed over the years to where he's not that edgy newgrounds person he once was. He talks alot about general inclusivity in the shows post-jontron and in general not using certain language to hurt people (even if Dan would push back on it). I honestly do feel Arin is coming from a genuine place here.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Is Jontron still riding the 'Ill keep my personal racism politics out of my comedy' schtick or has he too seen the light considering everyone is getting exposed/gone full nazi.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think they've done quite well here. It is a solid and genuine statement with little that feels like PR, or at least it feels more like support. I do believe they have grown and reflected a lot over the years, and perhaps most importantly, listened.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Is Jontron still riding the 'Ill keep my personal racism politics out of my comedy' schtick or has he too seen the light considering everyone is getting exposed/gone full nazi.
bF4Sz5p.png

Ragaar31

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing Jon's statements to Arin's is pretty fucking telling. I've often suspected the reason Jon left was because his racism just got to be too much for Arin.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arin is definitely a dumb manbaby, but it's better than JonTron. He absolutely was one of the edgy newgrounds types, but he has since cut ties from Jon, even after their reunion.

Someone in the Twitter thread called out his previous usage, and he replied with an older post:

I don't really watch GameGrumps anymore, specifically because it's just not funny to me anymore, but he's always seemed genuine to me. He's just a stupid caveman, who definitely has roots in the edgy shitty humor of the early 00's. I think he's a good dude who means well, and back when he cut ties with Jon 'extremely right-wing racist' Tron was a good showing. This only furthers it.

But I still won't watch his latest material. Lol.

yeah i used to watch religiously but all the 3D Zelda and Paper Mario whining from Arin ruined any remaining interest for me slowly. Absolutely skewing Danny's opinion of a game he could have liked by non stop complaining soured me.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
They still say pretty borderline racist jokes. I hope the Grumps actually put in some effort to better themselves. I also saw Suzy made an apology too.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
the animations fans make based on dialogue out of context are more amusing than the actual show
This is true.
yeah i used to watch religiously but all the 3D Zelda and Paper Mario whining from Arin ruined any remaining interest for me. Absolutely skewing Danny's opinion of a game he could have liked by non stop complaining soured me.
And this is exactly why I stopped watching.
Jon is quick to forget the people he aligns with would definitely not align with him.

Deleted member 61909

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
They still say pretty borderline racist jokes. I hope the Grumps actually put in some effort to better themselves. I also saw Suzy made an apology too.
It's mostly Dan. He defends making them several times on the show when I use to watch them. Arin does push back on it but he doesn't push back far enough for what I would like for him to. Dan bragged one episode about getting permission to do black jokes from Jacob Anderson.

Like I said before, I'm not gonna be too cynical on Arin because I've watched him since Jontron days till a few years ago and I can see how he's changed and even addressed several times on the show how he wants to remove certain words from his vocabulary to be less hurtful so I def see him being genuine here. Dan on the other hand, I don't fuck with him...

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Completely fair for anyone to never forgive them and especially Arin who had a long history of this thing amongst new grounds and early YT.

The Grumps aren't owed anyone's forgiveness with this statement.

I personally believe Arin has grown and shown that throughout the years, but I've obviously got much much lower stakes since I was never one of the people hurt directly by his actions. I can't easily separate my privilege from that angle to see this whole thing without bias.

They are definitely taking positive actions here, acknowledging using their platform to say and gain monetarily from previous racist actions. Arin has been using his personal account to retweet and share black voices and donating to charities.

Still, it stands that absolutely no one should talk down to anyone in this thread and tell them they should or have to forgive them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly Dan. He defends making them several times on the show when I use to watch them. Arin does push back on it but he doesn't push back far enough for what I would like for him to. Dan bragged one episode about getting permission to do black jokes from Jacob Anderson.

Like I said before, I'm not gonna be too cynical on Arin because I've watched him since Jontron days till a few years ago and I can see how he's changed and even addressed several times on the show how he wants to remove certain words from his vocabulary to be less hurtful so I def see him being genuine here. Dan on the other hand, I don't fuck with him...

Ah no, not Dan too. Say it ain't so.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on em, it's good that they acknowledge it at the very least, it's been I while since I watched GG.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reading it, you can tell this has been written by the crew at Grumps, rather than being a corporate mouthpiece. I think they're the only company that I follow that has actively said "If you don't like our message in support of BLM, then you can bugger off."

The fact that they've addressed their history goes a long way, and it takes guts to have it highlighted. Arin in particular hasn't been... great. But he's actively making strides to cut himself from the brand of comedy that was the backbone for his cartoons back in the Newgrounds days, and I hope he continues to stick with it. He knows that he can't run from his past mistakes, but accepting, owning, and learning from them is better than putting your fingers in your ears and go "LA-LA-LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

yeah arins always come across as really regretful of that and he has apologized before for it a few times, but this is a better more viable apology that was needed.

I'm certain there are people who won't think it's sincere, which baffles me. People will see honest apologies and say 'We need to see progress!', people will see said progress and say 'We need an apology!', but even having both won't be enough for some people.

for people who might not have known, during the Jontron days back when anytime you hear the "elephant sound", that was JonTron saying the n-word

"no jon" - Barry, 2012

Last edited:

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good that they're doing this, but they should call out racism when it happens, especially when it happens in their sphere. I don't want to see something like the YouTube community defending Pewdiepie calling someone the N-word ever again.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Jon is quick to forget the people he aligns with would definitely not align with him.

Honestly surprised a dude with the last named Jafari has said some of the bullshit about race that he has.

And I do think Arin was a much dumber kid when he started out (a lot of "famous nerds" really get their extended man-baby phases). I do believe Arin though, he's been a standup guy and I honestly think tried to do a lot of good for charities and causes.

I know a lot of big content creators are putting out similar PR messages, but I do hope they continue to follow through even post-protest.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Hopefully they've changed, but quite frankly these guys have been suspect since forever, even before all the white ethno-state stuff came out with Jontron.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely fair for anyone to not want to forgive him for what he's done in the past, I think that's entirely justified.

On a personal level, I do think he's grown and changed a lot from those old Newground days. As someone around his age, I know I've certainly changed a shit ton since back then.

This feels like a sincere apology to me and he's often put his money where his mouth is when it comes to giving to charity causes and the like.

So I'm going to choose to believe this.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I like the Grumps and I've seen Arin noticeably improve over the years. He seems genuine in his efforts to be better but I find Dan often has to audibly stop himself from saying dodgy stuff. Sometimes it's seems more ignorance of certain concepts but there is that bit in the breath of the wild play through when he almost drops the n-word and his concern is that his career would be over, not that he almost said it. Dan also has mentioned his Chinese friend, whom he affectionately calls, "China-man" (whenever he mentions this it sounds like the guy grudgingly accepts the name). Anyway that friendship makes him feel comfortable making broad old school gags in that wheelhouse, (the pee pee in your coke one being a favourite of his). I would think having a friend of a certain ethnicity would make that a less enticing proposition - maybe it's an age thing, but I cringe at the thought of doing that.

This statement is good though.

Edit: Jontron is disappointing trash...

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Why is jontron still around. Can't we send him into oblivion like all the other racists?

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a sincere apology to me and he's often put his money where his mouth is when it comes to giving to charity causes and the like.

This is one of the more telling things about them versus a lot of youtubers. They give a lot to charities and put on charity benefits on top of donating their own stuff, Danny does an Instagram post a week to bring charity and awareness for individuals in need. They're good people who are learning.