• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I've been looking for info on this too. I think they tried to say that he was creepy via Twitter DMs or something. But I searched around and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming it was fabricated until proven otherwise.
That was the claim. Lindsay Ellis had mentioned someone sending her a creepy DM and those forums jumped at connecting it to Quinton but I saw no proof. They were saying he could be a "useful idiot" which made me wonder.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
I will say as someone still in their 20s i kinda hate this infantiling of people in their 20s, I was not treated as a child by anyone because i wasent one. There are people even in their early 20s who have a job, house, a spouse and kids. They are a adult point blank.
As someone else in their 20s, I agree.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Someone in their 20's is not only an adult in the eyes of the law.

I will say as someone still in their 20s i kinda hate this infantiling of people in their 20s, I was not treated as a child by anyone because i wasent one. There are people even in their early 20s who have a job, house, a spouse and kids. They are a adult point blank.

To be fair, I was specifically referring to someone in their early twenties, but I can see how you may not think that clarification makes anything any better. I apologize if I got your backs up, guys. Obviously no one wants to be infantilized.

Trying to classify someone as an adult can be tricky. I have friends in their thirties who I wouldn't consider to be real adults. So, I don't think age is the most important component. However, anecdotally, I haven't met a lot of people in their early twenties who I would consider to be a fully-developed adult. Though you are right that I shouldn't paint the entire group with the same brush. Still, I don't think it is inaccurate to say that a lot of young adults are far more vulnerable (due to a lack of experience) than a lot of older adults.

Once again, I didn't mean to offend anyone, here. I get why age can be a touchy subject.

Last edited:

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Definitely agree with this. In theory, a 22 yr old person wanting to sleep with a 40yr old person is fine if everyone is treated equitably and respectfully. However, that's definitely not what happened here, and I'll go on a limb and say for every story where someone's parents with a huge age gap got married, there are 10 stories of an older person seeking out a younger person and then treating them like garbage. Is there really a huge physical difference that makes these men only attracted to women in their early twenties, or is it more of a lack of experience that allows these men to get away with things an older, more experienced person wouldn't let them do?

This was the point I was trying to highlight earlier in the thread in my now-edited post. I'm glad you and others have stated it so much more eloquently.

This skepticism has nothing to do with infantilizing 20 year old adults. As many have said, they are adults and can make their own choices.

The skepticism is actually aimed at the older partners, who are also adults and also make their own choices. If one of those choices is to regularly pursue sexual partners that are decades younger than them, there is a reason for that.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
So he uses his status as a gaming YouTuber to fuck much younger fans backstage at events and then ghosts them?

That's actually disgusting as hell. I feel like puking. There is literally no defending that.

Sorry, fuck that guy. He looks like a fucking sleazebag too, from the few pictures I've seen.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
So he uses his status as a gaming YouTuber to fuck much younger fans backstage at events and then ghosts them?

That's actually disgusting as hell. I feel like puking. There is literally no defending that.

Sorry, fuck that guy. He looks like a fucking sleazebag too, from the few pictures I've seen.
It happened maybe once between two consenting adults.

And then you go on to insult the man's looks because... reasons? I guess?

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
It happened maybe once between two consenting adults.

And then you go on to insult the man's looks because... reasons? I guess?
Because he looks like a fucking sleazebag, and he is.

That's the reason.

Fuck your 'between 2 consenting adults'

Dude is in his 40s, a minor celebrity and treated a young female fan like dirt.

Fuck him and anybody supporting him

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Because he looks like a fucking sleazebag, and he is.

That's the reason.

Fuck your 'between 2 consenting adults'

Dude is in his 40s, a minor celebrity and treated a young female fan like dirt.

Fuck him and anybody supporting him
And still you continue to insult their looks due to some weird bias. Pretty disgusting on your part if you ask me.

He was in his 30s during the encounter. And no, you don't get to ignore that this was between two consenting adults. The world doesn't bend to your will.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility and Personal Insults Towards Other Members Over a Series of Posts, Derailing the Thread. Prior Similar Infractions
And still you continue to insult their looks due to some weird bias. Pretty disgusting on your part if you ask me.

He was in his 30s during the encounter. And no, you don't get to ignore that this was between two consenting adults. The world doesn't bend to your will.
Yes it's me who's disgusting and not the creep using his minor celebrity status to fuck fans half his age at conventions.

I can't ignore it but I can definitely ignore you.

Goodbye, sleazebag apologist!

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing the Problematic Nature and Abuse of Power Dynamics and Minimizing the Victims Testimony; Ignoring Staff Post

This is why people should read a bit, because this isn't happening.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's me who's disgusting and not the creep using his minor celebrity status to fuck fans half his age at conventions.

He didn't fuck any fans half his age. That literally did not happen. Read about what actually happened and chill out a bit. It's fine if you don't like him and still think he's a sleazebag, but you're throwing out hyperbole here.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017

You do you. If you want to ignore the facts about what happened, that's not my problem. I tried and you continued to choose to be ignorant.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I read through the Reddit thread and the things that stick out to me are:

- They met up at a show and engaged in sexual activities as two consenting adults
- She confirms that he stopped contacting her weeks after the sexual activities happened
- She does not believe she was groomed in any way
- She believes he abused his power

I'd like to hear her speak more about how she feels he abused his power. I don't see any sort of power in play here. I see two consenting adults engaging in sex and one of them not wanting to speak to the other a few weeks after. No one is owed any sort of communication after sex, so I'm a bit confused.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Guy does something bad

People hyperbolize it as something worse

Once hyperbole is disproven, everyone stops focusing on the initial bad thing because "at least he didn't do the worse thing"

Do you not see how getting your hot take in is detrimental to the victims you act like you're indignant for?

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Guy does something bad

People hyperbolize it as something worse

Once hyperbole is disproven, everyone stops focusing on the initial bad thing because "at least he didn't do the worse thing"

Do you not see how getting your hot take in is detrimental to the victims you act like you're indignant for?

Literally, what the fuck are you talking about? Me calling a sleazebag a sleazebag is detrimental to his victims? No, I do not see at all. not at all. I literally made zero comments on anything untrue, I didn't even engage with this or comment on it until literally 4 days after it happened and the guy made his shitty non apology statement. I was in no way involved in any sort of hyperbole or misinformation or whatever.

I fully reserve my right to call a sleazebag a sleazebag and good luck shaming me or trying to tell me i'm harmful to victims of said sleazbag or whatever lol

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
i dont have anything to add other than i think there is a nuanced difference between "power" and "influence" or "fame"

like, a groupie isn't the same thing as an intern. and the manipulation happening to them is different.
Yeah, those are my thoughts.

Dick move by Dan? Probably. Criminal? Nope.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I don't post on reddit so I don't know how they operate but will anything happen to this subreddit? Will it finally be shut down? They are essentially a hate group and have a long history of being awful. They bring nothing of value and there are other, far better, avenues for people to bring allegations against the grumps to light if ever need be.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally, what the fuck are you talking about? Me calling a sleazebag a sleazebag is detrimental to his victims? No, I do not see at all. not at all.
Tell me where you read this happened then:
Or this
So he uses his status as a gaming YouTuber to fuck much younger fans backstage at events
That is not what Dan was accused of. Read the thread.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Alright, I'm still missing something here clearly.

What was the "abuse of power" that keeps getting referenced? If its true he didn't groom her, didn't ghost her, and they were both completely consenting to the sex when it happened, what part of this is him abusing his power?

Deleted member 9207

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't post on reddit so I don't know how they operate but will anything happen to this subreddit? Will it finally be shut down? They are essentially a hate group and have a long history of being awful. They bring nothing of value and there are other, far better, avenues for people to bring allegations against the grumps to light if ever need be.
Reddit was outsted after hiring a known pedophile enabler (literally) a few days ago. I don't think they have their things together.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. That particular subreddit is banned from being posted here though.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing and Downplaying the Problematic Nature and Abuse of Power Dynamics and Minimizing the Victims Testimony; Ignoring Staff Post
So two people agreed to have sex.
She feels he abused his power like most celebrities do when they have an opportunity for sex.
Men I feel bad for her that shit can sting but he doesn't owe her anything. And this is nothing honestly

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit probably won't do anything until if/when that subreddit makes waves in the news for harassment. Reddit tends to turn a blind eye until the content on their site is painted in a negative light by the media. And truthfully, for as bad as that subreddit is, there are far worse subreddits on Reddit that haven't been touched and probably never will be. It's just how they operate there, unfortunately.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So two people agreed to have sex.
She feels he abused his power like most celebrities do when they have an opportunity for sex.
Men I feel bad for her that shit can sting but he doesn't owe her anything. And this is nothing honestly
This is not nothing. Wtf dude

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
She was 22. He was in his thirties. Even if he was 39 at the time, that's still mathmatically not true.

'half his age' is a colloquialism . Im aware that it's not mathmatically 100 percent accurate, even though it is quite close to being so. it would also not be accurate if she were less than half his age but it really does not matter.

it's still fucking gross and its gross that you're dismissing it because it's 'not mathematically true' lol

Deleted member 9207

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
'half his age' is a colloquialism . Im aware that it's not mathmatically 100 percent accurate, even though it is quite close to being so. it would also not be accurate if she were less than half his age but it really does not matter.

it's still fucking gross and its gross that you're dismissing it because it's 'not mathematically true' lol
They didn't meet backstage.
As far as we know, it's not recurring.

Those are just two of the errors in your appreciation.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never said they met backstage. I'm aware they met online.

It's very fun to see ya'll grasping at small details that are completely besides the point in your desperation to defend a creep for his creep behavior though.

Very revealing.
No, fuck Dan. We're saying that you exaggerating the details gives defenders of his ammo to say the whole thing was blown out of portion. It's why some of his fan base has moved on now. Please think about the things you say before you say them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Maybe my choice of words don't do it justice. This whole celebrity used fame to get sex things is a two way thing.
No grooming, she is and was an adult. There was consent
It's shitty but for it to stop both celebrities and fans need to get their acts together and we know that won't happen
Sigh. Dan could have and should have been better than that.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
What is the threshold for ghosting? Because if it's in the range of weeks post-sex then I think I'm guilty of that. And been the subject of it.

Same here, because a lot of ghosting is perception. One party may feel that the other will continue to want to engage with them or even engage with them within x amount of days of meeting up. Sometimes that's just flat out untrue and if none of this is openly communicated between the two people, it's all assumptions and feelings.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It's why basically his whole fan base has moved on now. Please think about the things you say before you say them.
Thank you. I want to correct one very important thing but your point is still very valid.

You're wrong in saying "his whole fanbase has moved on now". They haven't. From what I'm seeing, the majority of his fanbase is heartbroken and disappointed, myself included. The other 20-30% are represented by cretins on YouTube screaming about Cancel Culture. The reddit trolls and alt-right forums are decidedly not fans (but I assume you're not factoring them).

But yeah, resurfacing all the disproven shit that he didn't do simultaneously creates two separate and harmful conversations:

"See, Dan never did anything wrong, this all just cancel culture!"
Ignoring the fact that he still used his star power to scoop up his fans as dates and hook-ups which is what most people in this thread are uncomfortable with in the first place, and was allegedly an overall jerk in how he dishonestly juggled multiple hook-ups and ended them by ghosting.

"See Dan is an abusive grooming creep that fucks underage fans- and judging by his looks, I knew it all along!"
Ignoring that these are the elements that have been thus far completely debunked and overshadow the legitimate criticisms of Dan's behavior by burying them under fictional ones. That's not even touching the people that make those super helpful comments about "I could tell by his physical appearance that he was gross".

This is a story of someone who quickly got famous and didn't acknowledge the power dynamic shift that happened when he started including his own fans in his dating/hook-up pool. It's irresponsible and something that really disappoints me to learn. But now the conversation happening on a macro scale depicts actions that (thus far) have been disproven or at worst, suspiciously spawned from troll farms that have had an explicit agenda. And since they were so successful here- it's absolutely going to happen again.

We need to learn how to have these conversations more responsibly.
Again, this is making it harder for victims of abuse to come forward.

Last edited:

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
You're saying it's a two way thing like she had celebrity status as well. This particular situation is a power dynamic going one way. I understand you're trying to say a woman can be in the power role. That's beside the point of all this.
I am saying they both knew what they wanted. She liked him as a fan and I am guessing she hoped they would get closer like most people do, sex was an opportunity for that and she took it

he saw her fan love as an opportunity for sex and took it. For her it may have been more but for him It was just sex. Jerk move yep but she didn't have to do it

Cause honestly if they dated for a bit after sex this whole discussion won't be happening

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
They're 65 and 75 right now. (His birthday has already passed, but hers hasn't.), so they would've been roughly 40 and 51 when they got together.

I'm aware of the differences, in either case, and I'm not saying that an age gap has to be the only source of those differences. Frankly, I think differences based around culture and hobbies/interests are the best ones, as those are more likely to get both of you to try new things. That said, there are positive and negative aspects to your example. I mean, unless I'm wrong, you seem to view the younger person's lack of experience as some sort of downside that somehow puts these two people on uneven footing, possibly insinuating that the older person has some sort of unfair advantage over the younger person, whereas I'd argue that the older person who has more life experience and relationship experience could offer a lot to someone lacking in both. If anything, the older person had a "head start" in a sense, but that doesn't mean that the younger person is necessarily any less emotionally mature, and the younger person is arguably at an advantage should they happen to want the sort of guidance a more experienced person can provide (assuming said more experienced person isn't a sleazebag, of course).

Yeah, life is hard when you're young, and there's a lot of new stuff that's very scary and stressful to deal with early on. In some sense, wouldn't having a more experienced person around be helpful? Sure, you could just say to that younger person, "Oh, ask your parents." What about someone who maybe didn't have the best upbringing and wouldn't trust their parents for life advice any farther than they could throw them? Some people would cry "daddy issues" or something, but there's something to be said for having anyone who's accountable and reliable around, and - with us being creatures of habit - we tend to seek those traits out from sources we THINK are reliable sources for them. That doesn't mean you NEED an older person if you're younger, but I think a lot of people seem to think that way, and it seems to work out in many cases, judging by the number of relationships with significant age gaps you see. Sure, two younger people may seem more "compatible" because they grew up around the same time, but there's absolutely no guarantee of compatibility there. You've just got two inexperienced people facing the same problems the couple with the age gap was, but the couple with the age gap has more collective experience, while things are more "acceptable" to the masses with the younger couple because of the lack of an age gap. It's an odd standard to hold.

I'm not saying that everyone should shoot for a relationship with an age gap, but I do think there are people who've had some pretty rotten luck and could benefit from stepping out of their "comfort zone" a bit with regard to certain things. Again, age is just one of those things, and you clearly can't expect more maturity from someone who's much older 100% of the time. That said, people have this weird way of working within certain confines when seeking out a life partner. With life largely relying on healthy compromises, it's just strange to me that some people are so adamant in trying to find the "perfect" person right out of the gate as if they were shopping for PC with certain specs when compatibility really needs to be a long-term thing you work on.
This sounds like a lot of steps to justify an age gap relationship so all I'm gonna say in response is

1) I don't think there's any issue with people having older mentors or friends so long as the older individuals are aware of the influence they may have over the younger person. I had mentor relationships with professors and friendships with older students in college and found it very helpful. I also have a few friends now who are in their early 30s while I'm 25 and I also find that plenty helpful—but we're a lot closer bc we're at the same at the same point in life generally speaking.
2) a relationship should be built on an equal partnership. If someone has all the cards via money, experience, or whatever, that's a breeding ground for bad shit. That's not ALWAYS the case—but my rule of thumb is age gaps where the person is ALMOST HALF YOUR AGE? And has been an adult for uhhhh sub 5 years? Sounds like a weird relationship to me.
And to be clear, this isn't an issue with the younger partner. It's weird of the older partner—why can't you find someone your own age to date? Why do you have to date someone who is barely old enough to drink?
Edit: to add on to this, I'm 25–most of my friends are in their mid to late 20s. We have like one friend who is barely 22? And I'm constantly struck by how different his kid experience is due to those few years. Has never lived apart from family, has only ever worked part time jobs, just graduated undergrad, has no clue how to handle finances or taxes or whatever. That three year gap can be so massive—now multiply that by like six or seven.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

I get that you're a fan of his but you really, really do not need to keep defending him and trying to justify it.
Getting the facts straight is not defending him. I also never justified it. I said it was a kind of dickish thing to do.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. I want to correct one very important thing but your point is still very valid.

You're wrong in saying "his whole fanbase has moved on now". They haven't. From what I'm seeing, the majority of his fanbase is heartbroken and disappointed, myself included. The other 20-30% are represented by cretins on YouTube screaming about Cancel Culture. The reddit trolls and alt-right forums are decidedly not fans (but I assume you're not factoring them).

But yeah, resurfacing all the disproven shit that he didn't do simultaneously creates two separate and harmful conversations:

"See, Dan never did anything wrong!" ignoring the fact that he still used his star power to scoop up women which is what most people in this thread are uncomfortable with in the first place, and was allegedly an overall jerk in how he dishonestly juggled multiple hook-ups and ended them by ghosting.

"See Dan is an abusive grooming creep that fucks underage fans- and judging by his looks, I knew it!" ignoring that these are the elements that have been thus far completely debunked and overshadows the legitimate criticisms of Dan's behavior by burying them under fictional ones. That's not even touching the people that make those super helpful comments about "I could tell by his physical appearance".
Thanks for the correction. I made my initial judgement by glancing at recent comments on their videos and the subreddit because they are were the most surface level feedback I could see, but that's obviously not the full fan base.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the need to reiterate that the accusations wherein Dan would engage with a fan by lying to them about his interest in them so he could screw them and ghost and then start anew with someone else came from friggin' troll farms. The last time I brought it up someone tried to link the original source and a mod had to edit it because the site it came from is friggin' banned on ERA.

Or is that not the issue?

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for the correction. I made my initial judgement by glancing at recent comments on their videos and the subreddit because they are were the most surface level feedback I could see, but that's obviously not the full fan base.
All good, I completely understand the reaction and I've been guilty of the same.

I feel the need to reiterate that the accusations wherein Dan would engage with a fan by lying to them about his interest in them so he could screw them and ghost and then start anew with someone else came from friggin' troll farms. The last time I brought it up someone tried to link the original source and a mod had to edit it because the site it came from is friggin' banned on ERA.

Or is that not the issue?
It is absolutely an issue. They are cheering right now and it's making my stomach turn. ERA is right to ban those forums because they are horrifying and deeply, deeply bigoted. But you're right in that it's muddying the conversation in some cases, it's being ignored in others. It will continue to be an issue because they will continue to do this, especially since this has been so successful for them.

RantGrumps is also not a source. Please stop using it. They are editing and deleting posts about this story, some of them from previous partners of Danny's that are trying to clarify the situation. But mainly, it's a sub of Jon fans, people who hated Danny from minute 1 and mostly people who cry about "Arin turning into an SJW" for taking responsibility for his old content and trying to learn/be better over the past 7 years. The sub is gross and alt-right adjacent.

Stop using RantGrumps.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
gEtTiGn tHe fAcTs sTrAiGhT

seriously listen to yourself. He was in his late 30s she was in her early 20's it's not inaccurate to call that 'half his age' and it's not worth nit picking unless you're feeling defensive about something. Get a grip.
If you're going to be antagonistic like this, which is all you have done in this thread, I am done.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI

"See, Dan never did anything wrong, this all just cancel culture!"
Ignoring the fact that he still used his star power to scoop up his fans as dates and hook-ups which is what most people in this thread are uncomfortable with in the first place, and was allegedly an overall jerk in how he dishonestly juggled multiple hook-ups and ended them by ghosting.

"See Dan is an abusive grooming creep that fucks underage fans- and judging by his looks, I knew it all along!"
Ignoring that these are the elements that have been thus far completely debunked and overshadow the legitimate criticisms of Dan's behavior by burying them under fictional ones. That's not even touching the people that make those super helpful comments about "I could tell by his physical appearance that he was gross".

This is a story of someone who quickly got famous and didn't acknowledge the power dynamic shift that happened when he started including his own fans in his dating/hook-up pool. It's irresponsible and something that really disappoints me to learn. But now the conversation happening on a macro scale depicts actions that (thus far) have been disproven or at worst, suspiciously spawned from troll farms that have had an explicit agenda. And since they were so successful here- it's absolutely going to happen again.

We need to learn how to have these conversations more responsibly.
Again, this is making it harder for victims of abuse to come forward.

I never said he was grooming underage fans, you're literally putting words in my mouth so please, retract that. I did say he was a creep and I'm not sure how that is such a controversial stance considering everything you just wrote above. I really can't understand how you'd look at the situation, admit to feeling heartbroken and disappointed but then also get all up in arms over someone calling the guy a creep?

how does that even make sense? what are you even disappointed about? why so heartbroken?