• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
"That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard."

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't even like dunking on Arin because it's so overdone and it's an internet show that provides me with free entertainment on a daily basis but... c'mon.

Kyoko's logic checks out and is one of the LESS outlandish things said by any character in this game. There's nothing dumb or hard to believe about it.

The Danganronpa playthrough has just not been good. It's kind of a reminder of why I fell off on GG in the first place.

Like, no lie, when I saw that they were playing Danganronpa I started checking out their stuff again because it was finally something outside of their usual pattern, only for Arin now to be completely mentally checked out and crapping on everything. And when he gets like that even his jokes get really lazy and go through the motions. Like how many poop/fart jokes has he made these past few episodes?

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It was obvious from the star that arin doesn't like the game, but i'm still watching for Dan's wholesome reactions to the whole thing, i still enjoy the episodes a lot even with arin annoyance (i'm used to it now, he's always like that)

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
It was obvious from the star that arin doesn't like the game, but i'm still watching for Dan's wholesome reactions to the whole thing, i still enjoy the episodes a lot even with arin annoyance (i'm used to it now, he's always like that)
Yes, Dan's reactions and theories are definitely the driving force behind it.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Arin definitely got spoiled somewhere, the way he brings it up just like that, and the correct one right from the start... yeah i don't believe he just "guessed"... Should have kept it to himself though, now dan will be less surprised...

oh well... Maybe i'm wrong though, but i doubt it! Hopefully they will have forgotten about it when it's time for the reveal, lol

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are several spoiler-free walkthroughs that gives only instructions and not reasonings or results available on the Steam community. I imagine there are several more elsewhere. And he did say he uses them for trials/closing arguments.

Edit: Watched it, and that is a reasonable guess for where they're at and what they know at that point. The game purposely begins reminding the player of that event more often, and following the logic Dan raised could reasonably lead to that guess.

Last edited:

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
okay. its definitely not the grump's fault. the pacing towards the end of Danganronpa is terrible. this is just dragging at this point

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
in today episode arin still insist on that one character, it's 100% not guessing to me, he got spoiled someho! He often does that when its a game he already played but dan didn't... he can't help but tell spoilers

i wish he wouldn't say anything and let dan fgure it out for himself

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
okay. its definitely not the grump's fault. the pacing towards the end of Danganronpa is terrible. this is just dragging at this point

I kinda disagree on this. The final case of each Danganronpa is understandably the most complex in the game, but you're usually so invested in the plot and trying to read through as much revelatory dialogue as fast as possible to understand what's happening... because you should be thoroughly invested at that point.

The pacing is always going to be killed in a Let's Play format. It's ESPECIALLY going to be killed if you're gonna make an "oh I farted/shit my pants haha epic" joke after almost every single line from the protag.

Also I'm kinda sad that neither of them picked up on Byakuya's quite distinct change in mannerism in this final investigation section. His posture and language are far more subdued and respectful than they have been at any point so far. Seemed obvious to me that he was genuinely trying to be helpful even on a first playthrough.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Is arin trying to make himself look smart or something?

We're not dumb, we know he got spoiled somehow with how he insists so vividly despite never doing that before... 3 episodes in a row

"i bet it's junko" saying it like he guessed, trying to make himself look good, nah my dude, doesn't work that way, lol... guess dan will believe it though... i can't be 100% sure of course, but it really looks like he want to make people think he guessed it after being wrong and not following the plot so many times

Again I don't mind that much, i just wish he wouldn't say anything just to let dan see everything for himself, that's the only thing that bothers me with this attitude... Especially since he's so close from figuring it out by himself with the number of bodies and citing sayaka! But it's fine, dan will never be angry about this

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird. Dan makes a very thorough prediction that will turn out to be very true following logic based off the facts the story has presented him so far. Arin could reasonably have done the same. However, we do know he's using a walkthrough. Even if spoiler-free, it would probably at some point have to say the name of the mastermind in its instructions. It makes sense people would suspect Arin of peeking ahead. But, with the particular things he got stuck on prior to certain revelations the exploded body's hair and nails, the sudden frequent reminders of those who'd passed would effectively confirm his bias. It is reasonable that he, too, followed his own logical train to the right conclusion, just not via the expected route. The main difference in the Grumps' approaches is that Dan just goes along for the ride, while Arin had a habit throughout the playthrough of trying to stay ahead of the writing.

It could go either way. He may have been spoiled, he may not have been spoiled. Personally--and I'll admit I have no substantial basis for this theory--I think it's more likely that Arin may have come into contact with something innocuous like Danganronpa fanart, and is connecting the dots from the story with dots he just picked up through cultural osmosis. They are 10 years late to this story. But Dan isn't as connected or in proximity to online fandoms as Arin.

So in the end... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more likely that Arin may have come into contact with something innocuous like Danganronpa fanart, and is connecting the dots from the story with dots he just picked up through cultural osmosis.
I thought this seemed like a reasonable explanation, but I also just googled Junko Enoshima and nearly every image of her is in her Mastermind form, so this explanation makes a lot of sense.
Either way, I have to admit, I've done the "I know spoilers but I'm going to pretend I'm just figuring it out" thing, and watching Arin do it, I now realize how horribly obvious and annoying it is.

I was glad to hear Arin suggest playing Super Danganronpa 2, even though Dan said he's going to need a little time before they do it. These last few episodes have been a little flat, (since Arin has apparently decided poop and farts are the best he can do,) but the series as a whole has been one of my favorites.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Lmao, arin was way too early at pretending he called it... Nothing in the game was saying it was junko at the moment where he screamed "i called it, it's junko!"... well he could have deduced it, but everytime he genuinely deduced it, he said why and how and how he came to that conclusion, which he never did for the junko one

At this point i'm not even mad, it's just too funny seeing him desperately saying "i know it's that!" despite never doing so insistantly before! Already said it many time, i'm just a bit sad that danny will be less surprised because of that

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he pretty blatantly spoiled that point lmao

I should say, if I were to read into how he announced that, I could easily imagine him reading ahead in the instructions and confirming his own train of thought a couple steps early.

edit2: On the replacement, Arin again clarifies something early to confirm his own theory. It'd make sense to read the incoming instruction so he doesn't linger/flounder at every choice or gameplay section.

Last edited:

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a moment in every Mario Maker episode where I stop and skim ahead in the thumbnail that shows up on the progress bar to just see, "ARE they going to beat this level in this episode?"

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on V3. V3 has some really cool moments, but the game is so so so so so long, especially some of the trials. Doing it in this format (30 minute episodes) would take them like six months.
I didn't even finish the first chapter of V3. Something about the Kuma Kubs really turned me off hard. Every once in a while I think about going back to it, but I haven't yet. Maybe soon with remote play on the PS5.
I think they could have a lot of fun with DR2, though.

Also I'm so so glad we finally got to Junko's reveal.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even finish the first chapter of V3. Something about the Kuma Kubs really turned me off hard. Every once in a while I think about going back to it, but I haven't yet. Maybe soon with remote play on the PS5.
I think they could have a lot of fun with DR2, though.

Also I'm so so glad we finally got to Junko's reveal.

V3 is my favorite in the series, but it's also a very divisive title. I think I'd enjoy seeing Grumps' reactions (well, at least Dan's) to lot of the developments there.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dan grew up on point and click adventure games so him enjoying danganronpa more than arin is fitting

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Turns out the person you thought was Junko was actually Mukoro in disguise.
Arin: "That's stupid! Wouldn't people be able to tell that she doesn't look like the world-famous supermodel?"

Junko reveals herself, turns out to look (almost) exactly like Mukoro did.
Arin: "That's stupid! Why would they look exactly the same?"

Junko reveals that she and Mukoro were twin sisters.
Arin: "Oh...uh..."

Like, at least have a little faith in the story and wait until you have all relevant information before you start acting like a big bran CinemaSins-schooled genius calling out all the perceived plot-holes and contrivances, especially in a mystery story where all those details are usually deliberately planted as questions meant to be answered later in the story. It's like getting halfway through a jigsaw and simply declaring "this puzzle is STUPID! The dog doesn't even have a face!"

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Arin: "That's stupid! Wouldn't people be able to tell that she doesn't look like the world-famous supermodel?"

Like, at least have a little faith in the story and wait until you have all relevant information before you start acting like a big bran CinemaSins-schooled genius calling out all the perceived plot-holes and contrivances, especially in a mystery story where all those details are usually deliberately planted as questions meant to be answered later in the story. It's like getting halfway through a jigsaw and simply declaring "this puzzle is STUPID! The dog doesn't even have a face!"
Yup! That's my biggest pet peeve with this series. Arin is just waiting to pounce on anything. If he was like this while watching a movie, a character would be 5 seconds into their first scene and he'd be mad that he doesn't know their first and last names yet lol

Jabo

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest shocker for me is that
they don't understand that one twin can be older than the other. It was amusing.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

O5bAGjiFsAMoCxQBKHQj-Ux8dWE=.gif

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
My god arin is really dense as fuck in these last episodes, keeps complaining about the game repeating stuff and instantly forgets them or plainy doesn't read

*but they were asleep for 2 years, how were they fed?*

*what does showing stuff to the outside world has anything to do with it?*

*I don't understand what are we voting for here*

Hot damn it's so ridiculous, lol! Thank god for dan keeping up at all times (he still gets confused because arin sadly sometimes)

I'm still hyped for an eventual Danganronpa 2 playthrouhg though! (lots of things are dumb so arin is gonna complain even more, but as long as dan is here it's fine!)

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really enjoying the Danganronpa playthrough up until the past few eps. Yes Arin is acting dumb at parts, but I totally get Arin's frustration at this point, the game (barely a game at this point) is really just drawing out these last few hours with a lot of talking and repeating. I can understand him barely paying attention TBH, the game is wearing out its own welcome and should have been done a while ago.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I was really enjoying the Danganronpa playthrough up until the past few eps. Yes Arin is acting dumb at parts, but I totally get Arin's frustration at this point, the game (barely a game at this point) is really just drawing out these last few hours with a lot of talking and repeating. I can understand him barely paying attention TBH, the game is wearing out its own welcome and should have been done a while ago.

i definitely agree the game is dragging out, lots of visual novels do that sadly, but he keeps forgetting stuff that has just been said despite being repeated 3 times, and objects to things that are answered like 2 lines later! You don't see dan doing that at all so it's not really an excuse for Arin imo!

But i'm not angry, it's just a typical arin thing to do to complain about the game when it's his own fault for not listening! I've been there from day one, if it was that annoying i would have quit already.... Well i would have if dan wasn't there, but they work really well together, so just dan alone wouldn't be as good either! Still make for funny moments, been the same for years, always happy to see a danganronpa episode pop up!

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just had to laugh at where that last episode ended.

I think this is either the last push or the second to last push before the ending. He has to go give hope to all of the people and then I think there's one more DDR-type battle, then the punishment and the ending. Next episode is probably going to be like twenty minutes.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I just had to laugh at where that last episode ended.

I think this is either the last push or the second to last push before the ending. He has to go give hope to all of the people and then I think there's one more DDR-type battle, then the punishment and the ending. Next episode is probably going to be like twenty minutes.

they're still doing the ending credit discussion usually so it will be enough to last the full 30 minutes i think

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they'' spend 15 minutes on the ending credits and talk about the game and how dumb it was and didn't make any sense (as in Arin didn't pay attention and Dan has to explain it to him).

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the raucous applause following every "big fuckin titties" has killed me every damn time

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the raucous applause following every "big fuckin titties" has killed me every damn time
Everything about that bit kills me. Even without the applause, I love any time they do Obama saying weird stuff.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, it was pretty subtle, but when they're talking about how it's weird that YouTube censors butts, they added in a Switch notification like the one that comes up when a friend starts playing a game - it's EveryButtyPoops, playing "Bidet Hero." It's at 17:25, I don't have a screenshot handy. I thought that was pretty good.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Everything about that bit kills me. Even without the applause, I love any time they do Obama saying weird stuff.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, it was pretty subtle, but when they're talking about how it's weird that YouTube censors butts, they added in a Switch notification like the one that comes up when a friend starts playing a game - it's EveryButtyPoops, playing "Bidet Hero." It's at 17:25, I don't have a screenshot handy. I thought that was pretty good.

It's been a thing for a while now! Sometime the editor use real games too that fits with what they're talking, like when they were talking about Busting, bust and many other things, the game "little busters" appeared

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a thing for a while now! Sometime the editor use real games too that fits with what they're talking, like when they were talking about Busting, bust and many other things, the game "little busters" appeared
I've never noticed it before! I usually just glance at the username to see if it's someone I recognize, but it's not like I actually know who any of them are. I'll be looking for it in the future lol

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Damn... i'm surprised they weren't sure there was a bad ending, i was sure everyone would scream at them through cameo and other plateform about the bad ending and how they should watch it!

I was kinda hoping they would do that at the end of the serie, but guess we won't see it

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh, and it's over. I just finished watching it. I'm glad to hear that they're planning to do Danganronpa 2 eventually. That game is so much crazier than the original (and the original is already pretty crazy,) so that will be a fun ride.