• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I bought the game purely off yesterday's episode. I didn't watch today's because I want to come to the puzzles fresh when I play it with my wife later.
Yeah, that episode has me wanting to buy it too. It's adorable and I love the pixel art style with the bold borders signifying objects that you can pick up vs. thin bordered background objects.

Yes I watched an episode of Good Design/Bad Design the other day and he talked about this game in the good design examples.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm happy they took time to upload episodes they could record together in person but...

...a whole week for a new DR episode upload and they uploaded the wrong one, cutting straight ahead to the the next victim in plain sight on the first frame of the episode.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i should have downloaded the wrong episode to watch it today, but i didn't think about it on the moment, i was sure it would be uploaded today, but nope...

I hope at least it's back to every 2 days

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rewatching it (I just need some kind of background noise while I work,) and the funniest fucking part is Dan in the background after he gets killed.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Back to back danganronpa is back?
t9bScLe.gif

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
One full hour of danganronpa! Gonna enjoy this a lot

EDIT : okay arin skiping most of chihiro's backstory really made annoyed me this time... And because of that he's still trying to be offended that they're misgendering chihiro even though they're not considering chihiro's story... That he did that before they reveleaed the truth is perfectly fine, misgendering someone is bad shit and his heart is a good place, i don't blame him for that, but after? Not so much since what chihiro wanted the most was to be seen as a man despite his small frame... but off course since he skipped it without paying attention... he didn't notice

I hope someone will correct him about this like some fans did with hifumi and some other things

Last edited:

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
No dude, he's been pretty okay to me about that. The game is using a bad trope and it's okay to approach it with a different sensibility.

And because of that he's still trying to be offended

Maybe he is and he thinks the game is transphobic. And tbh, he's not the only one to be critical about the handling of the subject. Up to this point in the game after the death, it's all third party accounts and it's understandable to assume that they're misgendering Chihiro.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
No dude, he's been pretty okay to me about that. The game is using a bad trope and it's okay to approach it with a different sensibility.

Maybe he is and he thinks the game is transphobic. And tbh, he's not the only one to be critical about the handling of the subject. Up to this point in the game after the death, it's all third party accounts and it's understandable to assume that they're misgendering Chihiro.

as i said in my first message, it's perfectly fine to be offended and misgendering is terrible... the problem is he skipped the important part on chihiro's backstory that makes it clear chihiro is not transgender

we can criticize danganronpa on plenty of things, gender is also a big one certainly, but the explanation for chihiro's wanting to hide the fact that he's a man is not that problematic imo! There's no reason to want to call him they when you know chihiro's backstory, which arin's skipped

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
as i said in my first message, it's perfectly fine to be offended and misgendering is terrible... the problem is he skipped the important part on chihiro's backstory that makes it clear chihiro is not transgender

we can criticize danganronpa on plenty of things, gender is also a big one certainly, but the explanation for chihiro's wanting to hide the fact that he's a man is not that problematic imo! There's no reason to want to call him they when you know chihiro's backstory, which arin's skipped
I don't mind that he is doing it and I understand the disagreement; I myself had no problems with a similar situation in Persona 4 for example, but I can see that writing this trope can be offensive. I guess we can't ask him directly

At some point he justs starts using they because he doesn't want to stir a controversy

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I don't mind that he is doing it and I understand the disagreement; I myself had no problems with a similar situation in Persona 4 for example, but I can see that writing this trope can be offensive. I guess we can't ask him directly

At some point he justs starts using they because he doesn't want to stir a controversy

To me the issue isn't that he's using they, and it was perfectly fine anyway until we reached monokuma's expaining how chihro felt! Until you don't know, he was 100% right to do so! But then he skipped the backstory and didn't pay attention at all, that's my big issue with it, it's a pretty big point about chihiro's character

it's not the end of the world of course, it's the gamegrumps, this happen often, but it's plenty obvious he's not that much into the game despite what he's saying, i wish it was dan that held the controller for this game, he wouldn't skip things like that, he's so much into it, it's great

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
It's a tough issue to navigate and Arin tried his best, playing it safe, using they pronouns etc.

I don't think he skipped through Chihiro's dialogue to be disrespectful but to minimise the screentime of what he (in my opinion, rightly) considered some less than great handling of a sensitive issue in DR1's story.

Regardless of whether or not Chihiro is actually trans, we can still be critical of how DR1 explores ideas of gender and how that might be harmful to the trans community. I think it's pretty clear from the episode's ending that the thing he cares about most is making sure trans and minority viewers of grumps feel safe, respected, and heard.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most egregious part of the episode was that Arin's poop break apparently made him completely forget Byakuya's tampering of the scene for a bit, lol

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw someone say that thanks to Arin people are calling Danganronpa transphobic and thus ruining the game, "just like he ruined Sonic"

Sonic_laughin.jpg

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Just saw someone say that thanks to Arin people are calling Danganronpa transphobic and thus ruining the game, "just like he ruined Sonic"

Sonic_laughin.jpg
That is definitely a...take. Getting mad at Arin for understandably being concerned about Chiro makes one look unsympathetic. Also considering how heated conversations around the topic in the past got, I think it could have gone worse. I remember my tumblr dashboard having multiple essays on it from people before the game even was officially localized. Which down the line was replaced with Nagito stuff as the fandom grew.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
That is definitely a...take. Getting mad at Arin for understandably being concerned about Chiro makes one look unsympathetic. Also considering how heated conversations around the topic in the past got, I think it could have gone worse. I remember my tumblr dashboard having multiple essays on it from people before the game even was officially localized. Which down the line was replaced with Nagito stuff as the fandom grew.

Yeah hopefully i didn't appear as such to anyone here, and if so my bad! I was more annoyed that he skipped his story, i'm not sure dan had time to read correctly when he did! It certainly doesn't ruin danganronpa and i already knew the serie wasn't great at handling certain subjects anyway...

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
That is definitely a...take. Getting mad at Arin for understandably being concerned about Chiro makes one look unsympathetic.
i had someone in my twitter mentions blame Arin for skipping the Chihiro backstory (which he totally didn't, he was just reading fast) as the reason people are criticizing the game. Said person also had some weird art fetish retweets, so it was an easy block.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I was excepting them to take a break, but it's already chapter 3, it's great

i had someone in my twitter mentions blame Arin for skipping the Chihiro backstory (which he totally didn't, he was just reading fast) as the reason people are criticizing the game. Said person also had some weird art fetish retweets, so it was an easy block.

Man people are dumb, sure i criticised arin as well but just because of my own exceptationd, the game itself has nothing to do with it, and i certainly dont hold bad views against arin, his heart was in the right place so that whats matter in the end

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really glad to see them go right back to Danganronpa. I was sure they would keep going to the end, but I really expected to see a long break.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SUDDENLY, JINGLE GRUMPS.
(Snuck up on me this year.)

Sad for Danganronpa to go back on hold, but last year's Jingle Grumps episodes were pretty hilarious, and it looks like we are probably starting off on a good foot. (haven't watched it yet, though.)

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I do find it weird that Jingle Grumps has mostly just been a stealth Ghoul Grumps in the last few years. I know it's tough to find good Christmas games and it's all mostly bottom of the barrel stuff but yeah.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do find it weird that Jingle Grumps has mostly just been a stealth Ghoul Grumps in the last few years. I know it's tough to find good Christmas games and it's all mostly bottom of the barrel stuff but yeah.
Eh, last year we had Adolescent Santa Claus and Sakura Santa, so it was more creepy pervy waifu Christmas than Horror Christmas. (I'm not complaining too hard - IMO the first Sakura Santa episode ranks among their all-time funniest episodes.)
But yeah, I'm not feeling the horror offerings, and I didn't finish the Furry VM episode. (Although I probably will go back to it later.)

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I am *unreasonably* angry at Arin running everywhere in the newest Krampus video after he read the note that says they are blind and have enhanced hearing.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm actually semi invested in this new part of Krampus but it's a shame they force you to play the original section just to get to it.

But yeah Arin immediately disregarding the info about the enemy's blindness paired with mostly impossible to see footage because of the overall darkness makes it a mixed bag.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Wheel of Fortune's back and it's another good one. Can't believe the cpu actually guessed "Dinner party thick," lmao

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
that episode was quite amazing, can't wait for the next one!

Arin still continue to use the cheap tactic of trying to solve and then getting a full minute to get it, poor dan got robbed, lol