• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I saw something that bothered me a lot and wanted to see what the community here thought.

There was a video in my recommended feed called "Arin is a hypocrite" or something to the effect. The video opens with Arin saying that he doesn't think it's cool to drop the n-word as a white man and immediately cuts into various footage of his cartoons and him joking with Jontron or his then gf and impersonating raps or just "tough black dudes" and casually dropping the n-word.

I had mixed feelings about it.

It was shitty to hear how loosely he used to use it (Jon did a lot too) and it's jarring to hear it from a creator that you respect in any circumstance.

On the other hand, all the footage was from 2010-2012, which doesn't make it cool but suggests that maybe he's not a "hypocrite" but a person who has matured and grown over time.

I felt pretty foolish when I saw the description and the comments, which was basically people complaining that "PC Arin is what we're stuck with now" and "funny Arin died when Jon left" and a ton of people actually complaining that "it's like he stopped using the n-word when Jon left."

Obviously the video and community around it put it together in bad faith but it was still really unsettling to hear. I respect him a lot and hearing his views on the world now makes me think he's come a long way from the person he was ten years ago.

Any thoughts on this?
Arin's come a long way since then, and has shown in public how he feels about being more inclusive. He also apologized in a Grumps episode for his role in "Fat Refund" (although for the life of me I can't remember which episode it was). People are allowed to change, despite what the average internet troglodyte will have you believe, and Arin has done enough since those early days to make me think that he's a better person now compared to back then.

Basically, if people are lamenting the Jontron days, then you can feel free to ignore them.

EDIT: Semi-unrelated, but speaking of Jontron I caught myself slipping and was thinking about watching some older episodes like the Goof Troop series. But then I remember all of the awful things Jon said about people like me (I'm part Mexican), and I just refuse to give those older videos a watch unless necessary (I recently linked the Grant Kirkhope video in a thread a month or so back because it was relevant to Goldeneye, for example).

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to respond, but I read Beef's answer, and it said pretty much everything I wanted to say.

I'll just add that I thought I would go back and watch my favorite episode from the Jon era - Mary Kate and Ashley's Sweet Sixteen Licensed to Drive. I turned it off after about five minutes. I remember howling with laughter at that episode, but maaaan, listening to both Jon and Arin now is nails on a chalkboard grating.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw something that bothered me a lot and wanted to see what the community here thought.

There was a video in my recommended feed called "Arin is a hypocrite" or something to the effect. The video opens with Arin saying that he doesn't think it's cool to drop the n-word as a white man and immediately cuts into various footage of his cartoons and him joking with Jontron or his then gf and impersonating raps or just "tough black dudes" and casually dropping the n-word.

I had mixed feelings about it.

It was shitty to hear how loosely he used to use it (Jon did a lot too) and it's jarring to hear it from a creator that you respect in any circumstance.

On the other hand, all the footage was from 2010-2012, which doesn't make it cool but suggests that maybe he's not a "hypocrite" but a person who has matured and grown over time.

I felt pretty foolish when I saw the description and the comments, which was basically people complaining that "PC Arin is what we're stuck with now" and "funny Arin died when Jon left" and a ton of people actually complaining that "it's like he stopped using the n-word when Jon left."

Obviously the video and community around it put it together in bad faith but it was still really unsettling to hear. I respect him a lot and hearing his views on the world now makes me think he's come a long way from the person he was ten years ago.

Any thoughts on this?
Arin's always gotten a lot of shit for growing and changing in different ways, from fans and friends alike. They probably think it's disingenuous, that he's only changed face for appearances; maybe he's only become more "politically correct" in the face of "growing liberal bias" or whatever the fuck.

Or maybe, just maybe, people can learn and grow and mature. Maybe they can choose to change for the better.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that Arin has shown he has grown and learned over the years, unlike a lot of his counterparts. He's shown empathy and kindness. Doesn't mean he's perfect but does mean he's progressed as a person from a young dumb kid to a somewhat dumb adult but aware of it.

That video sounds like it's just trying to put out a hottake and throw him in with a lot of bad people.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the Space Quest and Kings Quest stuff from Danny. His love for those games really comes through and its just relaxing and less stressful than Arin's raging. A good balance when they shift between the styles.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm interested to see how Space Quest VI is.

So what games in the Quest series have they not played? They jump around like how they jump around with Mario, Sonic and Zelda so I'm lost as to which ones he played already.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested to see how Space Quest VI is.

So what games in the Quest series have they not played? They jump around like how they jump around with Mario, Sonic and Zelda so I'm lost as to which ones he played already.

I don't think I've ever played Space Quest VI/knew it existed lol.
They played King's Quest V, VI, and the new one on Steam Train, Dan played King's Quest IV, Space Quest 1-4, and they played Space Quest V on Game Grumps last week obviously.

So by that, they're yet to play King's Quest 1-3, Space Quest VI, Gobliins Quest 3 on a technicality: it wasn't originally a Quest game, and the previous 2 plus the spiritual sequel, Woodruff, weren't Quest games, but the suffix was added to 3 later on to line up with their succesful Quest series, and also all the Police Quest games, although that's a bizarre as hell series lmao.
The first 3 are 2D point and clicks, with 1 and 2 being in the old text based style like the first King's Quest, 4 is a point and click that uses digitized actors like Mortal Kombat, Police Quest SWAT is a sort of FMV SWAT simulator, Police Quest SWAT 2 is a sort of isometric style RTS like Syndicate or X-Com, and then they drop the Police Quest part of the title and become the SWAT series, so SWAT 3 and SWAT 4, of tactical shooters lol.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
So I'm assuming Arin and Danny don't realize that Galaxy 2 has a whole Luigi campaign they can and will eventually unlock. If I remember correctly, Galaxy 1 unlocks Luigi when you beat the game, but Galaxy 2 lets you save Luigi like three times then lets you swap between them at will and collect Luigi-specific stars. Am I remembering correctly?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm assuming Arin and Danny don't realize that Galaxy 2 has a whole Luigi campaign they can and will eventually unlock. If I remember correctly, Galaxy 1 unlocks Luigi when you beat the game, but Galaxy 2 lets you save Luigi like three times then lets you swap between them at will and collect Luigi-specific stars. Am I remembering correctly?
Burying the lead, Dan wants to replay and complete A Link Between Worlds.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

oh my god this thumbnail is fucking perfect 🤣

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's more embarassing that he literally says "Oh it's in the police department folder" and didn't realize the paper was for the safe inside the police department and not the hospital.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Arin's always gotten a lot of shit for growing and changing in different ways, from fans and friends alike. They probably think it's disingenuous, that he's only changed face for appearances; maybe he's only become more "politically correct" in the face of "growing liberal bias" or whatever the fuck.

Or maybe, just maybe, people can learn and grow and mature. Maybe they can choose to change for the better.
I agree with this.

I love both Arin and Danny but I think most people get it wrong when they assume Danny is the super hippie type and Arin is the "bad boy". Especially lately, as they've both grown in such unique ways.

In the recent Mario Galaxy 2 and Sonic videos, there were a couple Danny moments that caught me off guard. They infer that Arin and Danny had been debating about gender before an episode with Arin stating that there are many genders and Danny scoffs, saying he didn't want to go back to that conversation and get angry and worked up again.

Later on Danny briefly rants about PC culture and people being too sensitive about certain words these days. Super different from something he said 5 years ago "if a word hurts an oppressed group of people, maybe just don't be an asshole and stop using that word" with Arin agreeing. It really made me appreciate them both on a deeper level than just internet dudes who make me laugh.

In a vacuum neither of those new Danny remarks are a big deal but with those statements being common dog whistles for alt-right trolls, it's easy to feel weary when someone you admire says something like that.

Last edited:

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this.

I love both Arin and Danny but I think most people get it wrong when they assume Danny is the super hippie type and Arin is the "bad boy". Especially lately, as they've both grown in such unique ways.

In the recent Mario Galaxy 2 and Sonic videos, there were a couple Danny moments that caught me off guard. They infer that Arin and Danny had been debating about gender before an episode with Arin stating that there are many genders and Danny scoffs, saying he didn't want to go back to that conversation and get angry and worked up again.

Later on Danny briefly rants about PC culture and people being too sensitive about certain words these days. Super different from something he said 5 years ago "if a word hurts an oppressed group of people, maybe just don't be an asshole and stop using that word" with Arin agreeing. It really made me appreciate them both on a deeper level than just internet dudes who make me laugh.

In a vacuum neither of those new Danny remarks are a big deal but with those statements being common dog whistles for alt-right trolls, it's easy to feel weary when someone you admire says something like that.
Yeah, Dan's definitely from an older time and that shows in various ways, but he's always been pretty empathetic towards other people. So while he may not be able to wrap his head around things like gender identity, he's still a decent enough guy that he wouldn't outright deny somebody's humanity or defiantly use deadnames or things like that. He doesn't sit around idly pissed at the idea of trans people using bathrooms that match their gender identity, he doesn't go on tirades, he's not a reactionary that has to speak up to be contrarian to certain topics. He's just a chill, reasonable guy.

The big difference between Dan and the type of people who typically use those dogwhistles is that Dan has a basic, fundamental level of respect for other people.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, I am dying at House Party.

"I'm really mad about missing the GAME... GRUMPS LIVE... SHOW."

EDIT: OH MY GOD SHE'S SINGING.

EDIT2: Holy shit, I'm dead. That's such an amazingly stupid setup.

Last edited:

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
oh lord that house party episode was so fucking funny im legit dying, couldn't be more perfect. katherine having the most alien way of saying "Gaem....Grumps..?" every.single.time and hearing their names, i could feel the second-hand embarassment

and then, oh lord, the "hey immmm drunk, you're not sooo drunk and imm gonnaaa get more drunkk" was killer

"we may have a level 69 goof on our hands" the balloon just flying away and danny going "IT SHOULDN'T EVEN WORK, IT'S A BASKET IN THE SKY!", arin's literal clicky knees and "BODELO BODELU" got me so friggin hard

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I do enjoy that Dan hasn't been complaining about his huge obnoxious thumbs during the Zelda playthrough. Likely because he's not going through a horrible breakup and isn't feeling sad and depressed, and instead is in a great relationship so he's feeling great!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Has the hows it going dude? actually changed, or did they just Flanderize it so goddamn much?
It sounds the same as the old one to me lol.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Hearing Arin and Dan talking in House Party while they talk over House Party is kinda fucking with my head.

I do enjoy that Dan hasn't been complaining about his huge obnoxious thumbs during the Zelda playthrough. Likely because he's not going through a horrible breakup and isn't feeling sad and depressed, and instead is in a great relationship so he's feeling great!
And I'm sure playing it at home is helping him get more used to the system anyway.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
House Party was already one of my favorite series, but this new run is just on a whole other level.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad you posted that, Beef, because I got a youtube notification about a new episode of House Party this weekend* and it wasn't there this morning when I went to go watch it. I would have thought I was losing my mind.

*Yes, I get notifications for Game Grumps and Bon Appetit. I never bothered to turn either of them off.