• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I wish they'd space out these "guest" episodes a bit. Three in a row is much. I like Arin's solo plays or when Matt and Ryan join him for stuff, like the Runescape episodes.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I just don't like how their thumbnails have become a jumbled mess now. They used to be standardized and recognizable. You'd be able to glance and tell what episode was what game or if it was a gameplay or an animation or a compilation or whatever else. Now it's all a complete mess and I can't tell what's an actual episode anymore.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
So glad Sonic Adventure 2 is back. The fanfic readings are fucking hilarious.

I hope they space out the readings a bit though, I love when they react to the insanity happening in the actual game.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Tryforce is out in the usual musical places. Giving my first listen right now, little too early to say whether it'll be a regular listen...

(edit) Whelp... that's 2 good songs, one okay song and the rest are... umm... I feel bad cause you can tell a ton of effort went into this, but compared to the first two star bombs, I just don't see myself putting this into rotation.

Last edited:

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tryforce is out in the usual musical places. Giving my first listen right now, little too early to say whether it'll be a regular listen...

(edit) Whelp... that's 2 good songs, one okay song and the rest are... umm... I feel bad cause you can tell a ton of effort went into this, but compared to the first two star bombs, I just don't see myself putting this into rotation.

I haven't listened to it, but that's pretty much how I feel about every Starbomb album. There are a couple of really good songs... and then the rest of the album.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly liked the album. "Vegeta's Serenade" was surprisingly good.
Definitely my favorite. This Song Sucks is a close second, and Simple Plot part 3 was okay. Kind of annoyed at the Dream Daddy advertisement in the middle of my CD. Bought the game, it's a good game... but it's literally just an ad in the middle of my comedy CD, and the skit for it isn't even funny to make up for the fact that it's an ad in the middle of my CD.

Like I'm actually a little legit angry at the fact that they dropped an ad for another product of theirs in the middle of the CD (literally track 6 of 14).

I guess A Wild Guitar Solo appears is pretty good, it's not particularly funny, but the actual music played by TWRP is legit enjoyable.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Definitely my favorite. This Song Sucks is a close second, and Simple Plot part 3 was okay. Kind of annoyed at the Dream Daddy advertisement in the middle of my CD. Bought the game, it's a good game... but it's literally just an ad in the middle of my comedy CD, and the skit for it isn't even funny to make up for the fact that it's an ad in the middle of my CD.

Like I'm actually a little legit angry at the fact that they dropped an ad for another product of theirs in the middle of the CD (literally track 6 of 14).

I guess A Wild Guitar Solo appears is pretty good, it's not particularly funny, but the actual music played by TWRP is legit enjoyable.
"A Wild Guitar Solo" and "Filling in the Name of' were both great, instrumentally. The Dream Daddy thing is okay, but as an album skit doesn't really lend itself to repeat listens.

I do wonder if this is going to be the final Starbomb album though.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm mostly satisfied with the album, and I feel like it may be the most "balanced" of the three (first one has a bit much on "lol, dicks and fucking and drugs and killing in videogames" jokes, which leads to the weakest tracks like the Animal Crossing and Kirby ones, while two had like 3 songs that were just silly lists with the God of War, Transformers, and Pokemon ones. Whereas nothing immediately jumped out to me with this one in that respect.)

That said... how in the fuck do you mess up enough to do "The Simple Plot of Kingdom Hearts" and only focus on the first game?! Like, that should've been a gimme for them, but they fucked up hard conceptually there focusing on, y'know, the one game in the series where the plot is just generic JRPG stuff with Disney mixed in, as opposed to the continually ramping convolution of the games the followed. Like all they had to do was start with a quick KH I and be all "okay, that's a little weird, but I can work with that", maybe a throwaway line referencing how Sora doesn't remember CoM, spend the bulk of the song on II's weirder points, end on a breakdown throwing out random crap from the rest of the series that is just off the walls. Man, that one just made me a bit bummed there.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Guess supermega couldn't put up with Brent's stinky penis and Erins weed problem anymore. Trolling the trump office is half the fun of their videos and it will be missed but I figured earlier this year they would be leaving soon. They basically copied the grumps formula on and off YouTube so next step is to become the boss and have other people feeding your wallet.

I wonder if they will still share office space or if they finally got the SuperMegaplex.

It says in the YouTube video that they're looking for their own office space. Im sure we'll see who the new grumps editor(s) is shortly.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Felt like Arin was trying too hard to mess with Dan for a bit, but I don't think he was.

What's most disappointing is Dan dissing applesauce with cinnamon 😥

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
oof that latest episode of zelda... felt weird seeing dan getting defensive about arin just saying "gross"

not the biggest issue but still
I loved their conversation about it. On the one hand you have a hilarious raunchy teen comedy from 20 years ago that's still somewhat funny even now... but on the other hand you have the whole issue of non-consent from the girl getting naked on a hidden camera that the whole town is watching. So it's like, what do you do? Can people still find Revenge of the Nerds or Porky's funny these days? It was good to see the conversation about it. I mean I saw American Pie in the theater myself. Back then no one thought about it really. But it's still wrong. Just it never really raised any flags back in the day. It was just something comedies like that did. I get it. Danny just wanted to enjoy a movie that made him laugh back then and still does. While I think Arin was just doing it to get under Danny's skin, I still get his argument too. You just don't do that shit and no way would a movie do that these days for good reason.

Also, applesauce and cinnamon is delicious. WTF Danny?

Farewell SuperMega. Glad they'll be putting out more content of their own. I love their stuff. I can't wait to see what their next editor does. Editors are like my favorite part of LP series'. Like Todd and Jack on PB and Jeff or Ted on Super Beard Bros or Miss Editor on ProJared Plays.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I loved their conversation about it. On the one hand you have a hilarious raunchy teen comedy from 20 years ago that's still somewhat funny even now... but on the other hand you have the whole issue of non-consent from the girl getting naked on a hidden camera that the whole town is watching. So it's like, what do you do? Can people still find Revenge of the Nerds or Porky's funny these days? It was good to see the conversation about it. I mean I saw American Pie in the theater myself. Back then no one thought about it really. But it's still wrong. Just it never really raised any flags back in the day. It was just something comedies like that did. I get it. Danny just wanted to enjoy a movie that made him laugh back then and still does. While I think Arin was just doing it to get under Danny's skin, I still get his argument too. You just don't do that shit and no way would a movie do that these days for good reason.

yeah certainly, you can still enjoy the movie and still be aware that it's clearly wrong, a product of its time like we say! But it still rubbed me the wrong way how dan talked about it!

Again it's not super bad, just felt weird coming from dan's mouth since he's always so open about these thing! Rare to see him get defensive about it!
I'm not the kind of person who go all out "cancel him" for these kinds of things, just that it was the first times since he joined grump that i was a bit disappointed by what he talked about... which is quite amazing when you think about it, after so many years

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
yeah certainly, you can still enjoy the movie and still be aware that it's clearly wrong, a product of its time like we say! But it still rubbed me the wrong way how dan talked about it!

Again it's not super bad, just felt weird coming from dan's mouth since he's always so open about these thing! Rare to see him get defensive about it!
I'm not the kind of person who go all out "cancel him" for these kinds of things, just that it was the first times since he joined grump that i was a bit disappointed by what he talked about... which is quite amazing when you think about it, after so many years
They handled the Michael Jackson thing really well I think. I don't think Danny is trying to say the scene is okay. He just likes the movie. That scene is a small part. It could have been left out completely and nothing would change much. (But it wouldn't because it was the 90s and teen exploitation films did that shit all the time.) Danny's just old, like me, and likes funny movies. He just wanted to talk about a funny movie. Arin is the one who turned the conversation to that scene just to get a rise out of him.

As I said, they handled Jackson really well. It is hard to just completely cancel some things because they become part of your life. Hell, they still play him at work, he still keeps coming up on my playlist, I hear him on the radio (As well as other musicians who have been accused of the same stuff) and I don't let it bring me down. The shit he did was bad. But it's just hard to think of a world without the music. If I had to actively avoid it I'd go crazy. It doesn't seem like he was cancelled as abruptly as people were expecting. In this case I separate the art from the artist. But I don't want anyone to misunderstand that I'm not defending Jackson at all. But I haven't heard a single person talk about him being cancelled at all. I guess the documentary wasn't as wide as people thought or they just don't care anymore as the accusations have been around for decades now and no one cared to cancel him then either.

On the other hand, I dropped JonTron really quick. I guess with me I handle it differently depending on the content I'd be losing. (Thankfully JonTron's good stuff is all behind him. He hasn't been good since well before his incident. Maybe if I'm ever in the mood I might go back and watch Stairfax Temperatures or Nuts and Bolts for old times stake.)

christ, i wasn't prepared rofl
OMG yes. I assume that was SuperMega's doing. I'll miss their edits.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah sorry yall, i cant be too sad over Supermega no longer editing since this directly means I'm getting more Super Mega episodes. And considering they're leaving amicably, nothing stops them from appearing on live action skits here and there.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I thought their conversation about American Pie was really interesting, and I appreciated Arin's discussion about consent. When they get realtalk serious occasionally it makes for some very enjoyable content.

And I felt suprprisingly emotional about Supermega! I love their strange form of humor, can't wait to see what's next for them.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I still haven't watched a second of the Franklin or Jimmy episodes. Should I bother? Is there anything worth it in there? I don't even know what the voices sound like.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I was watching the really short SuperMega video confirming that they're leaving game grumps, and someone in the comments said that the editing position is like the Defense Against the Dark Arts teaching position in the Harry Potter books, and I'm fucking howling

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I was watching the really short SuperMega video confirming that they're leaving game grumps, and someone in the comments said that the editing position is like the Defense Against the Dark Arts teaching position in the Harry Potter books, and I'm fucking howling
I never thought of it that way.

But really, I'm sure a lot of channels have a revolving cast of editors. A lot of the time it's just for experience while you learn your craft before moving onto the big leagues. (Where's Kevin these days?)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I'm guessing the latest episode of TP was his first? Those edits were kind of odd.
Not today's, it was Friday's. Arin and Dan talk about how they kicked SuperMega to the curb and it was the first episode post Matt and Ryan.

Seems like he's trying to find his footing, but might be trying a bit too hard. Less is more tbh
Yeah. It's why I said "yet." Hopefully he gets his footing sooner rather than later, and kinda chills a bit with the edits.