• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I really don't think that this is any less cramped than the Game Boy Micro.

This is a really quick job, but I took the GB Micro dimensions from Wikipedia, grabbed an image of the machine from Google, and scaled it so that 1mm was equal to 4 pixels. I did the same with the Game Gear Micro using dimensions from Amazon and an image of the machine from the Amazon listing.

This image won't be actual size, but it is to scale (with a margin of error because I only spent two minutes on this, but that margin of error won't be significant). This is how they match up:

04hKQhB.png
Sega are out of their goddamned minds

The micro was perfect in size in my opinion, even better for 2 button games like game gear's.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Actually a Game Boy Micro style of console with GB, GBC and GBA games would be really cool...

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Well, this could've been cool.
I love Sega, but this kinda thing makes me happy that they left hardware manufacturing.

If you have to design a magnifying glass to it, I'd hope it would make them suspect that maybe this thing is too small?

It's almost a fetish, they have to pile stuff up on their consoles.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, now that I woke up...

I'm not angry this exists as a decorative item or something, but I'm not in that market.

As a gameplay oriented purchase, however, it seems terrible. It's not a megamix of titles like console based minis have been, because, well, you get 4 games and not 20+. But it's not like you can pick a version with 4 games you really want to play if you don't have very wide tastes, because they mixed each set like it was a 20+ games thing. Add the form factor and the game selection - Sonic Chaos is alright, but it's not Star Fox 2 or Wily Wars tier magnet, there's ways to buy it - and, ehhh.

I really hope they don't release this in Europe. If that's all of their ideas regarding library of Game Gear, maybe smash it together with Master System? And put the Game Gear face on the bottom of Master System if it must be portable.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I love that they only put 2mb worth of games on each of these so that anyone who actually wants to buy this piece of shit for collection purposes has to buy four.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never had a game gear; but I may cop this just for the dumb nostalgia that comes with getting a too-small-handheld paired with a clunky mirror attachment to make the screen bigger

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not angry this exists as a decorative item or something, but I'm not in that market.
Yeah I mostly think the same. The thing with this type of product is that even if it's intended to be decorative, it wouldn't be any less decorative if it were changed a bit to make it more functional. They could easily have made a version of this machine with a screen four times the size and it'd still be tiny and cheap, it'd still have been fine as a decorative device, but it'd also be a lot better to actually use.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
200$ US American Dollars...

For probably the worse way to experience game gear games. Sega is a wild ass company if you think about it.
Yeah, it's times like this when I really can't help but question my love for Sega. And this comes from someone who was actually initially excited by the idea of a Game Gear Micro when the thread started. But four games on each color of the Game Gear Micro? And no G.G. Shinobi II? How does a company manage to make decisions like this?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
ONE console cost 5000 yen (around 40€), the bundle with all four consoles and the "big window" cost 30000, so 10000 yen (around 80€) for having the freaking magnifying glass... the single product is already a scam, but the bundle that cost more for a freaking magnifying glass is just genius stuff XD

Oct 27, 2017
they released a crapton (and by that, i mean, like "more than a few") Game Gear games on 3DS eshop right? i remember those being really good ports, too.

Kjell

Oct 27, 2017
Game Gear Micro to scale ( based on 1.15 inch screen diagonal )
U3xLYRo.png

Last edited:

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think that this is any less cramped than the Game Boy Micro.

This is a really quick job, but I took the GB Micro dimensions from Wikipedia, grabbed an image of the machine from Google, and scaled it so that 1mm was equal to 4 pixels. I did the same with the Game Gear Micro using dimensions from Amazon and an image of the machine from the Amazon listing.

This image won't be actual size, but it is to scale (with a margin of error because I only spent two minutes on this, but that margin of error won't be significant). This is how they match up:

04hKQhB.png
Here are some additional comparisons using your mock up.
picsart_06-03-08.37.243knd.png

picsart_06-03-08.45.4yrjjg.png

It seems like tight fit. A micro micro.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most ridiculous thing ever and I'm here for it.

Not enough to actually, you know, buy it, but I like wacky hardware.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Any good game on Game Gear?

All of the Shining Force games are a good time, so are a few of the later sonic games (triple trouble and chaos were the best iirc) and tails adventure is a good time for what it is. There are a few good jrpgs that have English patches as well. Most of the best games though were good for their time ports that aren't really worth playing on the console itself outside of novelty.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just like the Mega Drive Mini this is just a fun novelty item for me. I don't use the MDM to play, if I want to play old games I just emulate them on PC. Looking forward to it as a collectors item.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
they released a crapton (and by that, i mean, like "more than a few") Game Gear games on 3DS eshop right? i remember those being really good ports, too.
There were 16 released in North America and Europe, and 22 in Japan.

It's kind of surprising that the numbers are so low overall. Sega have re-released so many Mega Drive/Genesis games in compilations and in other forms that it's weird they've never released something like a Master System/Game Gear 50-game compilation.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the GameGear as a kid. Shinobi, Sonic & the Disney games were all great fun. But this is stupid. Too small, only four games and then the game selection is stupid.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Also, with its ridiculous size, I guess they're even trying to emulate the battery life of the og gg.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
After all this time it's nice to see that Sega is staying true to their core values of awful decisions regarding hardware.

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
The only way this could be stupider is if it had worse battery life than the original, or had an enormous master system adapter.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
The screen is probably about this big, right? I played a bit of Mega Man like this, it's absolutely doable for me and that means I'm buying this :) No magnifying glass needed.

Pgyqfec.jpg

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was one of those weirdos who owned a Game Gear instead of a Game Boy and have a lot of nostalgia for it. Let me say, even I won't buy this thing. Absurd.

Phillips455

Oct 31, 2017
Scotland
I was hopijg to atleast ordering the Black Game Gear Micro, but it does not ship to the UK on any of the listed sites.

No way am i paying for expensive shipping and a premium to get it from a reseller.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
All of the Shining Force games are a good time, so are a few of the later sonic games (triple trouble and chaos were the best iirc) and tails adventure is a good time for what it is. There are a few good jrpgs that have English patches as well. Most of the best games though were good for their time ports that aren't really worth playing on the console itself outside of novelty.

The first Sonic game is good too. but it's better on SMS.