• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
This would have Actually been cool if it was just game boy micro sized or something. Instead they made it useless. And you gotta spend $200 to get the screen so you can actually play one. Sega you high AF.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok they are absolutely selling it as a display piece. There's a special edition that includes a frame and a limited Smoke Grey shell with no innards

store-item04.png

Also cute box pins:

store-item03.png

And this guy:

store-item02.png

Also the magnifying glass screen is based on an OG Game Gear peripheral so they're leaning into it being goofy, just like the Tower of Power accessories for the Mega Drive Mini.
Where do I go to buy all of this?

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'll grab one on a discount if they ever get cheap enough, but I honestly have nothing but bad memories with the Game Gear outside of Triple Trouble.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
.... this would be cool if it came out of nowhere but people were obviously expecting more due to the hype of the other thread.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
The size is 80mm wide x 43mm tall x 20mm thick.

That's 3.15" wide x 1.7" tall x 0.79" thick.

Ok they are absolutely selling it as a display piece. There's a special edition that includes a frame and a limited Smoke Grey shell with no innards

store-item04.png

Also cute box pins:

store-item03.png

And this guy:

store-item02.png

Also the magnifying glass screen is based on an OG Game Gear peripheral so they're leaning into it being goofy, just like the Tower of Power accessories for the Mega Drive Mini.
I won't lie, those pins & having a display case for them is kind of cool...but as a mini console, eeehhhhh.

Considering how about half those games never came to the US (i.e. two of the Shining Force titles, that Puyo Puyo spin-off, Last Bible, & Sylvan Tale), I wonder if the US would even get this.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
thats gonna be a no

also if thats what the guy thought was on the level of the PS5 article the dude lost his mind lmao

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
What... who in this entire multiverse would want that? They should invest some effort in restoring their Saturn library instead. Game Gear was shit and had a terrible library.

Treythalomew

Oct 27, 2017
When I saw the words Game Gear Micro, I was so pumped. I had a Game Gear and remember loving it and even at the time the hilarity of the six batteries and it lasting a negative amount of time. I played the shit out of it as a kid in the car and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

This is so dumb its unreal. Why not release an actual cool replica, especially since Nintendo hasn't done a Game Boy remake/replica yet. This is so insane that if this was IGN's April Fools Day, I would be like hahaha very funny idea that they'd make four games per color and the screen so small it is unusable.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Where do I go to buy all of this?

Shop links are here, different stores have different things, but it's all JP. And the site is havin' a time loading.

Also I'm starting to get the impression this is to scale with the Genesis Mini.

Considering the mini Tower of Power sold like hotcakes over there and it's literally nothing but goofy plastic nonsense, it makes sense.

1280x720.jpg

Don't think of this as a traditional mini console, it's not what they're going for.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Website also confirms it's by M2 and here's the UI

sec01-image.png

sec02-image.png

No HDMI out either, just headphone, power, and volume control.

Also it takes AAA batteries and can run via USB, and batteries aren't included. So yeah, it's a display thing.

Excellent news that M2 is behind this, although expected. This is shaping up to be a quality product if you can look past the paltry amount of built-in games on offer.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shop links are here, different stores have different things, but it's all JP. And the site is havin' a time loading.

Also I'm starting to get the impression this is to scale with the Genesis Mini.

Considering the mini Tower of Power sold like hotcakes over there and it's literally nothing but goofy plastic nonsense, it makes sense.

1280x720.jpg

Don't think of this as a traditional mini console, it's not what they're going for.
Thank you. Warming up the proxy. Let's do this.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
For the new page, all the games & what color has which games:

Black: Sonic, Outrun, Puyo Puyo 2, Royal Stone

Blue: Sonic Chaos, Gunstar Heroes, Sylvan Tale, Baku Baku Animal

Yellow: Shining Force 1, 2, & Final Conflict, Nazo Puyo Puyo: Arle no Roux

Red: Megami Tensei Last Bible 1 & Special, GG Shinobi, Columns

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's really worth reiterating that Japan loves miniature consoles as just... a thing

Here's a tiny PS1 you can put together like a gundam

They just made the Game Gear playable because that's goofy and fun and Sega GO has been all about goofy and fun stuff

There's a reason they haven't marketed this to North America and Europe

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
amazing
I hope it's not smaller than the game boy micro though lmao. love my micro but it's on the edge as far as size goes

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
It's really worth reiterating that Japan loves miniature consoles as just... a thing

Here's a tiny PS1 you can put together like a gundam

They just made the Game Gear playable because that's goofy and fun and Sega GO has been all about goofy and fun stuff

There's a reason they haven't marketed this to North America and Europe

I hope they take the internals and software and make an actually usable product for the rest of the world. I'd buy it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
This is not the great scoop that they were hyping, right? This is just a small, surprise thing, right?

Because if so, I will laugh myself to sleep lmao

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
wonder why there isn't a white color variation, I always wanted one as a kid, it came in a cool white carrying case with the TV tuner.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm dying at them having Nazo Puyo Puyo as one of the games

Arle_no_roux.jpg

I bet all of Sega's announcements are goofy like this. Excited for them to announce a new Virtua Fighter gacha game for mobile

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
There is no MS buying Sega or partnering Sega rumor. It was just wishful thinking from fanboys on this site. That other thread was embarrassing.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Damn ittttttt, Amazon JP forbids this from shipping to the US for some stupid reason. So I can't preorder a blue one. ;w;

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I was originally going to purchase this if it had something like 20 games, if just for the novelty. However, $50 (which will be more like $70-$75 in CDN) for just four paltry titles? Yeah, no thanks. I'll pass.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
16 games on one unit for $20 and I would still have had to "think about it" but 4 games at $50 with four different models? What are they smoking over at SEGA these days? lol