• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna march in and tell them straight to their faces.

GEN 9. ONE GAME ONLY. LET PLAYERS CHOOSE TO START ON OPPOSITE ENDS OF THE REGION. BATTLE GYMS IN ANY ORDER AND HAVE THEM SCALE IN DIFFICULTY.

Before I say anything else, I'm kicked out.

Don't forget difficulty settings in general (and please don't lock them behind dumb mechanics like the Key System in Black/White 2).

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I'm sorry man but you can never use the Battle frontier to tell me that ORAS is worse than the originals. I never liked the battle frontier to begin with and never understood what people like about it, so ORAS cutting out that fat in favor of post-game story and legendary catching was and is a huge plus for me.

And i'll add, AFTER replaying the originals in a pre-SwSh marathon, god bless the existence of ORAS
Well, imagine playing the originals at the time. There was no online play, tournaments weren't easily accessible, so this was pretty much the only form of competitive pokemon people had. And there was a huge amount of content, 14 symbols to collect for 2 levels of challenges against the brains, unlockable items, varied styles of battling, literally hours of replayable content. It was exciting at the time just to imagine the Battle Frontier with the phsyical/special split, not even the added pokemon and 3d models.

Then you go play the game, find a confusing "The Battle Froniter project has started!"(it hasn't), and get told by the game creators they didn't think anyone would give a shit.

Not really sure how you can call ORAS a good remake when it arbitrarily took out a huge amount of the original game that people loved seemingly for no reason except the devs didn't want to remake it. Like, you can enjoy it for what it is, but it arguably doesn't even fulfill the purpose of a remake.

Jun 2, 2019
Well, imagine playing the originals. There was no online play, tournaments weren't easily accessible, so this was pretty much the only form of competitive pokemon people had. And there was a huge amount of content, 14 symbols to collect for 2 levels of challenges against the brains, unlockable items, varied styles of battling, literally hours of replayable content. It was exciting at the time just to imagine the Battle Frontier with the phsyical/special split, not even the added pokemon and 3d models.

Then you go play the game, find a confusing "The Battle Froniter project has started!"(it hasn't), and get told by the game creators they didn't think anyone would give a shit.

Not really sure how you can call ORAS a good remake when it arbitrarily took out a huge amount of the original game that people loved seemingly for no reason except the devs didn't want to remake it. Like, you can enjoy it for what it is, but it arguably doesn't even fulfill the purpose of a remake.

Well, if you take in account that the fat wasn't even part of Ruby and Sapphire, and remakes were tailored as RS remakes, well, that tells the whole story, doesn't it?

Jun 2, 2019
HG/SS included the Crystal content, so the precedent was set that remakes would include stuff from the definitive versions.

There's also the precedent of FRLG wich doesn't include the Yellow content.

But i know it's cool to shit on gen 6, so it's not worth to keep this argument further

The Battle Frontier sucks and it's the worst post-game content ever.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
They probably gonna invert the colors and pokemon names and call it a day. Will sell gangbusters anyways.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
There's also the precedent of FRLG wich doesn't include the Yellow content.

But i know it's cool to shit on gen 6, so it's not worth to keep this argument further

The Battle Frontier sucks and it's the worst post-game content ever.
But FRLG came before HGSS...so it can no longer be called a precedent, dude. EDIT: ok I forgot what precedent meant in this context, my bad. I would say HGSS overwrite's FRLG's precedent as to what to expect from a remake.

HG/SS included everything from Crystal and added a BF. Now those were truly good remakes.

What's with the hostility?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
HGSS copy pasted the already made BF from Platinum and Crystal content was... what exactly? A character and a battle tower lol

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Gamefreak, please hire better environment planners. The inconsistency of world design and minimalistic environment assets no longer work for a hybrid system.

I'm sorry man but you can never use the Battle frontier to tell me that ORAS is worse than the originals. I never liked the battle frontier to begin with and never understood what people like about it, so ORAS cutting out that fat in favor of post-game story and legendary catching was and is a huge plus for me.

Dude, the Battle Frontier was the best challenge for competitive Pokemon players. It really made you consider what Pokemon you used and how you went about using them. Plus, the variety with the kinds of Pokemon battles you had was unmatched.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
EXHk0uuUwAA7mbo

ORAS had some great new features (that of course will never see the light of day again) but skipping the Battle Frontier and blaming it on smartphones was pretty shitty. Wouldn't be suprised if that ruined the remake for a lot of people.

This moment felt like they were genuinely trolling us for believing there was going to be a BF.

#FuckThemKids and their smartphones, they ruined Pokémon.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but (even if I know that they are NOT properly "Nintendo") this is common among "Nintendo" developers
Even Monolith Soft (if you look at the scope of their games) are still very small (despite all the new hires done in the past few months)
Even the Zelda team that made Botw, compared to how many people work on a single Ubisoft open wold game...are veeery small
btw, good news.
they outsource A LOT, iirc

Yeah, they outsource a lot, it's just that they also aim for nearly yearly releases of the main Pokémon games plus whatever smaller projects they have. Makes me wonder sometimes how their workforce is split up (how many planners, designers, programmers etc)

Jun 2, 2019
Dude, the Battle Frontier was the best challenge for competitive Pokemon players. It really made you consider what Pokemon you used and how you went about using them. Plus, the variety with the kinds of Pokemon battles you had was unmatched.

If the battle frontier were to be added for the first time as post game content, as is, in a Gen 6 game or later, it would be seen as a poorly designed post game content, with a cheating AI that would act only as a way to artificially increase the difficulty and lenght of the game, and s poor excuse to not add real post game content that isn't behind an event.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Nah, not really, barely two islands were worth a damn, and it amounted to barely 2 towns and dungeons.

It was a blessing

HGSS and FRLG had more extensive post-games than Yellow or Crystal. This is a simple, objective fact. ORAS omitted a HUGE portion of Emerald's post-game, the Battle Frontier, which was highly beloved by the fanbase. Also a fact. Do I think that ORAS is an improvement over RSE in most ways? Yes, for sure. But was taking out a wonderful feature like the Battle Frontier super fucking stupid? Also yes.

IsaacVarion

Apr 4, 2018
Nah, not really, barely two islands were worth a damn, and it amounted to barely 2 towns and dungeons.

It was a blessing
So... you mean that a bunch of new Pokemon, an entirely new lands to explore, new trainers to fight and a post game story arc are not bigger in scope than the fights with Jessie and James and the Pikachu that follows you. Correct?

Jun 2, 2019
HGSS and FRLG had more extensive post-games than Yellow or Crystal. This is a simple, objective fact. ORAS omitted a HUGE portion of Emerald's post-game, the Battle Frontier, which was highly beloved by the fanbase. Also a fact. Do I think that ORAS is an improvement over RSE in most ways? Yes, for sure. But was taking out a wonderful feature like the Battle Frontier super fucking stupid? Also yes.

The battle Frontier wasn't good content, amd it for sure wasn't "huge"

Jun 2, 2019
So... you mean that a bunch of new Pokemon, an entirely new lands to explore, new trainers to fight and a post game story arc are not bigger in scope than the fights with Jessie and James and the Pikachu that follows you. Correct?
Lol. I'm still quite confused at his logic.

It honestly isn't as expansive as you make it sound, and in the end it acts only as a window dressing to enable the connection between the remakes and RSE. Since there wasn't any real story behind it, it felt more like a chore.

I'm not speaking out of hate, i literally played it one month before getting my sms for picking up ShSw

And funny to see such dismissive comment for having your pokemon following you when it's the most requested feature since HGSS, i guess everything goes for the sake of discussion - Or maybe because it happened on Let's Go, it doesn't matter anymore

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
if it's BOTW Pokemon, you'll have me at day one. tbh really excited to see where gen 9 goes to.

IsaacVarion

Apr 4, 2018
It honestly isn't as expansive as you make it sound, and in the end it acts only as a window dressing to enable the connection between the remakes and RSE. Since there wasn't any real story behind it, it felt more like a chore.

I'm not speaking out of hate, i literally played it one month before getting my sms for picking up ShSw

And funny to see such dismissive comment for having your pokemon following you when it's the most requested feature since HGSS, i guess everything goes for the sake of discussion - Or maybe because it happened on Let's Go, it doesn't matter anymore
Man, I was talking about the scope of FRLG new content compared to the Yellow's one. The former is definitely bigger than the latter, that's it.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Not shure this is news... games increase in scope, studios hire stuff, new pokemon game is in development. All 3 are given since 20 years all the time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it is for something else then pokemon... then there would be news. But looking at the non pokemon gamefreak games... yeah, none of them looks that great.

Jun 2, 2019
Man, I was talking about the scope of FRLG new content compared to the Yellow's one. The former is definitely bigger than the latter, that's it.

Yeah, you're right on that. It's still pretty uninteresting.

I know a lot of people have been pointing at ORAS showing why there's has been a bad remake.

All I need to do is show Let's Go as the bad remake. Somehow has less content the remake that happened 10 years earlier.

maxresdefault.jpg

Let's Go is a bad remake as pure remaking goes, but it's a pretty decent game overall. Different doesn't mean bad.

I meant like...the whole deal. Not just game mechanics, but world design and layout, story structure. Recent pokemon stories feel like they were written for braindead children and it's getting tiring as an adult.

The series has been doing some interesting things story wise for a while now. Game mechanics don't need any real innovation, and honestly they're on to something with the Wild area as world layout and design goes, and the fact that they're doubling down on it means that they're going all out with it on gen 9

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you take in account that the fat wasn't even part of Ruby and Sapphire, and remakes were tailored as RS remakes, well, that tells the whole story, doesn't it?
sorry but it makes no sense for the remakes to not have the content of the 3rd version. i sure hope the DP remakes have all the additions in platinum. battle frontier, distortion world, etc.

...what even is this take. the sevii islands were great additional content in the game.

Last edited:

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon left and right. The legendaries will be a donkey and elephant looking pokemon.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe get some engine engineers in there. You know...develop a decent 3D engine for once. Hell, borrow whatever engine BOTW uses and build on that.