• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
20 years I've enjoyed Pokemon to some varying degree, that is longer than I can say for any other peice of media that has also lasted as long.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Firered are some of my favorite games ever. Top 15, both of them.

I remember how excited I was when I discovered the Sevii Islands, or when I first got a Blastoise. I love those games with all of my heart and I will be forever thankful of what Game Freak has created.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for more than 20 years and the first 6 Pokemon gens, GameFreak. Hopefully Sword/Shield will make me love the series again.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No matter what happens, Pokémon will always be incredibly special to me. I started playing with BW, and have done so with every game since. Despite their many questionable design choices, Pokémon games are always fun experiences. No other series can capture that same essence of building up a team and watching them grow throughout the adventure.

My most memorable team was in Sun: Decidueye, Gumshoos, Alolan Raichu, Alolan Muk, Alolan Exeggutor, and Zygarde 10%. It took 10 tries to beat Kukui (barely had any healing items left!), but it was an amazing experience!

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The gen 8 Pokemon are easily my favorite designs in the whole series and I'm pumped to get back into Pokemon after only dabbling in ORAS and Sun/Moon!

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The hours that I sink into Pokémon games is insanity. As an adult I don't even get to game like that anymore, but I always find time to put hundreds of hours into Pokémon.

I'm beyond excited for Sword & Shield. This gen is combining a bunch of things I love and putting it into a neat package. Can't wait to play next week!

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
UaQuCgX.png

My love for HGSS will never be topped, I truly love what they did with this game. So much content and neat lore for legendaries. Arceus egg creation was one hell of a trip. GF knocked it out of the park with this gem. I still have my Pokewalker too.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
UaQuCgX.png

My love for HGSS will never be topped, I truly love what they did with this game. So much content and neat lore for legendaries. Arceus egg creation was one hell of a trip. GF knocked it out of the park with this gem. I still have my Pokewalker too.
The artwork is amazing and so is the visual style of these games.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Drill Dozer 2 when? Like zero of their non-Pokémon works ever got a sequel. Time to break that streak Game Freak! Bring back the Jill & her Drill!!

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, nah.

Even ignoring the Dex cut, this series could be so much better than it is, and many of the decisions being made aren't even justifiable with the yearly releases excuse.

Always one step forward, one step backwards with this series.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I've played Pokemon my entire life, so I feel obliged to post in here. I love this franchise and its creatures, getting hype for every single mainline game no matter what year is was, even Let's Go. I only criticize the more recent games because I know they can be improved and SwSh are my most hyped games since probably DQ11 last year, SuMo, and ORAS.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish I could appreciate the Pokemon games, because clearly there's a lot of things to love about them, and I look at the hype and almost feel a little jealous.

I just can't for the life of me understand the appeal of the menu-based battles. I like everything in the games but those.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
I've played Pokemon my entire life, so I feel obliged to post in here. I love this franchise and its creatures, getting hype for every single mainline game no matter what year is was, even Let's Go. I only criticize the more recent games because I know they can be improved and SwSh are my most hyped games since probably DQ11 last year, SuMo, and ORAS.
Yeah I get that there's ambitions among the fans for improvement, and hopefully it will keep improving and moving forwards step by step, but there are some "fans" who created a Masuda rape story ie, criticism is fair but the personal attacks the staff received from the fandom is disgraceful.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
I really wish I could appreciate the Pokemon games, because clearly there's a lot of things to love about them, and I look at the hype and almost feel a little jealous.

I just can't for the life of me understand the appeal of the menu-based battles. I like everything in the games but those.
It's a simple fun system that can get really complex when it gets to competitive play.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I love Pokemon and Gamefreak as well! I super can't wait for the launch of Sword and Shield next week!

Cozy is a really great way to describe the Pokemon world. It's so cute, so positive, and really inclusive as well. I love how the games shows that anyone can be a Pokemon trainer, from all walks of life. And I love the Pokemon themselves: always weird, interesting, bursting with creativity, teaching me new things about real world animals and culture that I didn't know.

Gamefreak has always been a bit of an oddball studio. They like to go in on weird features that no one asked for, like putting stickers on your pokeballs in Diamond and Pearl, making movies in Black and White 2, or the Curry Dex in Sword and Shield. But this is what gives the Pokemon series so much charm and such a unique feel. It's so unlike any other game, I can't help but love its world.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I love Pokemon, it's been a huge part of my life since 99. My room was covered in Pokemon stuff when I was a kid. Posters, drawings, sheets and pillows on my bed, I even put Pokemon stickers all over my N64.
That being said, in my opinion I don't think Game Freak has made a truly great Pokemon game in 5 years. Hopefully despite the dex cuts SwSh can break the meh streak for me and bring back the magic.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I know it's really an unpopular opinion at this point and stuff, but i really think Pokémon Sun/Moon is probably the best designed game in the series, and would be my favorite gen if i wasn't already kinda over pokémon stuff or if i didn't had huge nostalgia for gen 2.

I love how HMs weren't a thing anymore, that i could actually interact a lot more with my pokés, the creative trials instead of the same gym shit, and all the the charming characters along with the cute (Not for me, but that's okay) story.

I really like the recent direction GF is giving to the series, and i'm pretty hyped for the camping mechanics im SwSh.

Drill Dozer is pretty cool as well, tho it's the only non-pokémon GF game i ever played.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
User Warned: Trolling
Gamefreak please improve or hand
the development duties to Nintendo.

I am 100% sure the average GF employee won't see this or any message on this thread.

This thread also seems reactionary to the other one because people expressed their disappointment.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak please improve or hand
the development duties to Nintendo.

You're asking for a company to hand over their main source of income, and many individuals livelihoods working there. Think about what that means for a second and you might realize why it sounds incredibly selfish to put a videogame over peoples lives. People just wanted a positive thread, but apparently that was too much to ask.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
Kudos and thanks to the OP for being one of the most positive/un-ranting threads :D

i have played Red version on the gameboy 20years ago and i loved it since then
i will respect and accept Gamefreak dev team decision since E3 2019 , i usually love it when people bothers to inform me things/decisions in advance

7days to go!

P.S Day1 Patch is not available as we speak for Sword/Shield

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
You're asking for a company to hand over their main source of income, and many individuals livelihoods working there. Think about what that means for a second and you might realize why it sounds incredibly selfish to put a videogame over peoples lives.
lol you should go to the Olympics of mental gimnastics if you equate handing the development duties to another company with the whole crew literally dying.

They can make other games without having to to worry about Pokémon.

Or even better, get bought by Nintendo.

They will survive lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
lol you should go to the Olympics of mental gimnastics if you equate handing the development duties to another company with the whole crew literally dying.

They can make other games without having to to worry about Pokémon.

Or even better, get bought by Nintendo.

They will survive lol

The Olympics of mental gymnastics wants to hear about how you interpreted unnecessary layoffs as "the whole crew literally dying"...

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Think about what that means for a second and you might realize why it sounds incredibly selfish to put a videogame over peoples lives. People just wanted a positive thread, but apparently that was too much to ask.
The Olympics of mental gymnastics wants to hear about how you interpreted unnecessary layoffs as "the whole crew literally dying"...
your post was one of the most over dramatic I've seen on this site. It's not that serious.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
your post was one of the most over dramatic I've seen on this site. It's not that serious.

Mate, if you're going to enter a thread about remembering the good things these games have brought us and start with "sell your IP to someone more competent so I can personally enjoy the games more!" you fucked up.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
So many fond memories playing Pokemon. I played it since the gameboy days and even now. As I have gotten older and with more responsibilities in life, I still try and find time to play at lease one of the Pokemon versions with each Gen. I did skip ORAS and Sun and Moon but I am definitely going to get Sword next week! It always makes me feel relaxed and makes me feel like I am a kid all over again. Thank You Gamefreak.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I'm not buying SS precisely because I love Pokemon. I really hope GF can get back on their feet soon. I miss playing main Pokemon games, I really tried to like the 3DS entries but they were all so so so bad.

For now I'm sticking with Go. Love that one.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I adore Poke'mon. I unfortunately don't think the games are that great anymore. But the franchise will always hold great meaning to me.

And I still look forward to seeing what Game Freak comes up with.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Good idea that probably won't reach the japanese devs, but this is the kind of stuff that warms my heart. I don't like Swsh and the leaks have only made it worse. But I hope the devs know that I do believe they've done some incredible games in the past. Hell, I learned how to count up to 150 because of them!
However, do please change your development workflow, it's clearly affecting the quality of your games!
Swsh look to be the best games in the series yet, they have always been incredible developers that actually care about the heart of their games instead of chasing modern trends.
-looks at Gen 1 pandering-
"Sure."

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Pokemon has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember
Thankful for it

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Hopefully SwSh earns enough of a positive reception to lift their spirits.
UaQuCgX.png

An absolute masterpiece <3

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Sword and Shield will more than vindicate that team. The damn dexit bullshit will subside and can be added to with the mid gen game.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite what some part of the fanbase think, Pokémon as a franchise has done nothing but improving over the years for me. Sun & Moon was a fantastic experience filled with ton of great characters, a really fun to follow plot and a region stock full of secrets to discover. I not only expect Galar to surpass it but also to be one of the best Pokemon experiences ever made. I'm even more firmly convinced of it after seeing the leaks.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
How are you reading how i'm feeling OP? I remeber the First time I choose my very 1st Starter from Pokemon Red to Battling my 1st Rival to go into the grass and encountering different new Pokemon; Spent countless of hours in every Grass/Caves/Water just to see what type of new Pokemon I can encounter it was magical; Good times ^_^. For me I started to slowly get burnt out from Gen 5 and when it got to Gen 7 I was completely burnt out to the point I didn't enjoy nor beat it. Pokemon Go still kept me thinking about Pokemon and telling me to go play Sun&Moon but everytime I play for 10 minutes it just makes me sleepy and knocks me out. Went on a 2 year hiatus until Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee brought that inner Pokemon spark back inside me. I'm so ready for Sword and Shield!!!!!!!!!!

Note: The reason we or I keep coming back is due to the new Pokemon's they are adding ^_^

Last edited:

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite examples of a game integrating narrative into mechanics is still Silver's Crobat. Golbat finally evolving into Crobat was the ultimate expression of Silver's newfound kindness toward his Pokemon, and the game didn't even call attention to it. It didn't have to. It impressed me big time as a kid.

Rimon-Hanit

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it make more sense that the low morale at GF is for the poor reception Little Town Hero got. Everyone already love Pokémon

Edit: guess not.

Last edited:

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon is what got me into gaming. I played since I was a little child, but the the game I remember finishing and replaying a lot is Pokemon sapphire. I also remember being so excited about gen 1 remake, and begging my parents to buy it for me. Now, I'm a senior at college, and I'm still addicted spent 150 hours playing ultra sun and moon.

I seriously can't wait for Sword and shield. Im so excited.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely appreciate the devs putting in the work to make these games possible, even if I disagree with some of the higher level creative decisions in recent years. I've been on blackout for almost all of the Sword and Shield leaks, so I'm looking forward to next week.
Wouldn't it make more sense that the low morale at GF is for the poor reception Little Town Hero got. Everyone already love Pokémon
This is what Austin Walker said about it (starts at 1:40:40): https://podbay.fm/podcast/1159170164/e/1572909278
I wouldn't go to print with this but from what I've heard is that the morale at GameFreak right now is really low. The backlash to the stuff that happened earlier this year, around the announcement [of the dex cuts] was really demoralizing and that has continued to spiral, and people at GameFreak are in a rough place right now. [...] The fan feedback was deeply affecting to the folks working there.
A big reveal of your game, especially a big E3 reveal is supposed to be those big moments, those big milestones where you put something out into the world, are often opportunities to reenergize a team because they're at such a rough place in the middle of developing a game, which we can and have spoken about how that should improve, but those tend to be moments where the team is like "Wow! You know what? I see it now. I see what we're working towards!" and a couple of folks now have told me that the experience of being at Game Freak in the last six months has been really rough because it has been deeply demoralizing to see the fan response to this stuff.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice with a positive thread for a change. I think the frustration a lot of people feel about the franchise stems from the love they've felt too. Pokémon battles are as fun as ever 20 years later.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
GameFreak has never stopped impressing me. Playing a new Pokemon game always feels like coming home after a long trip and sleeping in your own bed for the first time in weeks. There's just something that feels so warm and comfortable about coming back to something familiar and filled with good memories. I don't think there's another team of video game developers who have accomplished evoking that feeling in me so consistently over so long a time. They're great at what they do and I wouldn't have them any other way.