• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Is this how rumors start? I legit haven't seen ANY criticism against the guy. I thought the new Pokemon have been generally well received?

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It obviously looks better than Sun and Moon, but that's just a matter of showing up given how much of a disaster those games were.

I'm pretty pleased with the very few Pokemon designs we've seen so far. It's looking like that'll be at least one part of the game that turns out alright.

Pretty sure hate for him is made up though, unless you have some links to share? To the extent there is criticism aimed at the art director (?), I can't imagine it's significant.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Pokemon and NPC designs are still good and in line with the series legacy.

The overworld looks not good though (it's a weird mishmash of styles) and the robotic, aimless animations of the Pokemon are a testament to "leaving things in your imagination." No team could animate 800 (or 600, or 151) creatures convincingly for an open world game, so maybe they shouldn't have. I don't know what seeing wild Pokemon adds to the gameplay loop anyway (it generally detracted from Let's Go but helped in the specific case of shiny hunting I guess), so maybe random encounters was the way to go.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This has to be the dumbest post on this whole site so far. A quarter of the map? I can't even with you people sometimes.
Way to write off an entire post by zoning in on the one thing you can easily dismiss lol.

A quarter the length of the map, I should have said. Which goes to show how small the Wild Area actually is. The entire Lake area looks tiny as well.

Galar-Map-Art.jpg

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm still not finding a group movement against James Turner's artstyle. Everyone loves Wooloo and would die for it and have a fancy for Corviknight so I'm still flummoxed by what OP is saying.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Way to write off an entire post by zoning in on the one thing you can easily dismiss lol.

A quarter the length of the map, I should have said. Which goes to show how small the Wild Area actually is. The entire Lake area looks tiny as well.

Galar-Map-Art.jpg
It's still wrong because the map isn't 1:1 with the actual game.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The arstyle is the best thing out of this pokemon, the problem is more graphical and ambitious wise than the artsyle per se.
So he has zero fault of whats happening at gamefreak.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Hmmm, can you provide some context OP? I haven't seen anyone complaining much about the new Pokémon; rather it's been by and large the opposite.

If you are saying the "graphics" complaints would be directly linked to this guy, I think a lot of that stems from whatever engine GF is using and poor optimization. Granted, a stellar art-style could help mask those issues, but the art direction here seems okay at least.

Also lol

Outside Pancham and a select few others, I find this a pretty bad track record tbh

Nah these three gens have some of the best Pokemon in the series, and Gen 6 and 7 were phenomenal, opting to go for quality over quantity.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I'm still not finding a group movement against James Turner's artstyle. Everyone loves Wooloo and would die for it and have a fancy for Corviknight so I'm still flummoxed by what OP is saying.
Yeah, this isn't a thing. lol The art direction might be the one aspect of these games that hardcore fans don't have much of an issue with. I know I've loved the general look of things, as well as every Pokémon and trainer design we've seen so far, despite being very put off by some of Game Freak's decisions this time around.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
People have been complaining about, ordered by volume:

1. Lack of compatibility with every previous Pokemon species (the dex issue). This is totally justified as it's a core part of the experience.

2. Graphics and animations, mostly due to the fact that they were given as the reason for removing the national dex. Admittedly a minority of people have been complaining about them even before, but most of it is a reaction to the dex issue.

3. Removal of mega evolutions and Z-moves. I think if it weren't for the dex issue this would have been a bigger deal, but it was kinda swallowed up by the bigger controversy.

All of the newly revealed pokemon were accepted really well, from the starters to Wooloo, Corviknight, Yamper... The only ones that raised eyebrows were the box legendaries.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
The tree is emblematic of the game's rough visuals/general presentation across the board imo. Like of course the textures on it would likely have been fixed up for release...but will they fix the awful pop-in? And the skyboxes? What about the rough overworld and attack animations? Will they continue to use the same tree models literally everywhere, often right next to each other? And how about the areas of completely flat ground with the same ugly textures for grass/snow/sand, etc? And the bike's wheels clipping through the ground? I could go on and on. You can say the game is not released yet all you want, but...they're probably less than four months from going gold, and there's a lot we can gleam from what they've shown so far.

So yeah...it's not just a single tree that everyone is freaking out over. And the sad thing is that...if it weren't for the Pokemon culling controversy, most of the fans would have quietly accepted all of this as just par for the course when it comes to Game Freak. But when Masuda is literally citing improved graphics/animations as a reason for the cull, then you best believe they open themselves up to having those aspects scrutinized. It really has been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Granted, I'm obviously open to the possibility that there's more going on in the game that we haven't seen yet, but knowing Game Freak, I'd be super surprised if that were the case. They've always iterated at a snails pace, and I don't think it's 'lazy dev rhetoric' to acknowledge that they aren't the most technically proficient studio, as evidenced by their games consistently being poorly optimized. Hell, even the much touted Wild Area seems like it's not much bigger or more involved than Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field.

Look at this screen of like a freaking quarter of the entire Galar map:

4tA8KNB.png

Now, none of this is to say that people aren't allowed to find the games visually appealing, but I just don't think it can be denied that Game Freak are like a decade behind the competition...and they don't have the excuse of being limited by the hardware anymore. Plenty of other devs transitioned to HD and from handheld to console hardware without these kinds of issues, let alone a studio like Game Freak that literally sells like 8 million full-priced copies of what would be $10 DLC by industry standards. They can afford to either hire more staff, or elevate their technical expertise. There's really no excuse outside of corporate greed imo, and I would find it very weird for people to champion that.
Thank you. People really need to understand this.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure the game will be fun, but it looks to me as if corners were cut in order to hit the Holiday 2019 target.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God forbid fans of a series voice their displeasure without being written off as moaning gamers. Like if you don't care personally, cool, but I don't understand the constant need to dismiss criticism at every turn. If all you have to contribute to the conversation is "only a vocal minority cares", do everyone a favor and just don't post, all you're doing is being needlessly antagonistic and stirring the pot.

Heaven forbid I disagree and share an anecdotal story right? If you took that as pot stirring then I would say relax.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I think the designs are fine...

It's not his fault the battle system sucks

Also the animation is not overseen by the Art Director... and yeah ... the animation has been underwhelming from the start.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Gaming enthusiasts getting unreasonably enraged about something in a video game and directing their rage at the wrong person? Color me shocked! Absolutely shocked!

Reminds me a lot of when Seth Killian took the brunt of Mega Man fans' rage after Legends 3 was canceled as part of that awful string of cancellations alongside Mega Man being cut from Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and not having another incarnation replace him (Zero does NOT count). It was a terrible time to be a Blue Bomber fan, sure, but Seth deserved none of the absurd amount of shit he got and the Mega Man community made itself look incredibly bad, immature, and outright dumb as a result (at least back then; I'd like to think it's at least somewhat bounced back since).

We can look to Secret of Mana's intro for context here: "But time flows like a river, and history repeats..."

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Gaming enthusiasts getting unreasonably enraged about something in a video game and directing their rage at the wrong person? Color me shocked! Absolutely shocked!
The OP has failed to produce any actual evidence of this. Nobody in the thread has seen anyone attacking James, either.

Seems like the thread was more intended as a way of stoking the anti-backlash outrage further.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tree is emblematic of the game's rough visuals/general presentation across the board imo. Like of course the textures on it would likely have been fixed up for release...but will they fix the awful pop-in? And the skyboxes? What about the rough overworld and attack animations? Will they continue to use the same tree models literally everywhere, often right next to each other? And how about the areas of completely flat ground with the same ugly textures for grass/snow/sand, etc? And the bike's wheels clipping through the ground? I could go on and on. You can say the game is not released yet all you want, but...they're probably less than four months from going gold, and there's a lot we can gleam from what they've shown so far.

So yeah...it's not just a single tree that everyone is freaking out over. And the sad thing is that...if it weren't for the Pokemon culling controversy, most of the fans would have quietly accepted all of this as just par for the course when it comes to Game Freak. But when Masuda is literally citing improved graphics/animations as a reason for the cull, then you best believe they open themselves up to having those aspects scrutinized. It really has been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Granted, I'm obviously open to the possibility that there's more going on in the game that we haven't seen yet, but knowing Game Freak, I'd be super surprised if that were the case. They've always iterated at a snails pace, and I don't think it's 'lazy dev rhetoric' to acknowledge that they aren't the most technically proficient studio, as evidenced by their games consistently being poorly optimized. Hell, even the much touted Wild Area seems like it's not much bigger or more involved than Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field.

Look at this screen of like a freaking quarter of the entire Galar map:

4tA8KNB.png

Now, none of this is to say that people aren't allowed to find the games visually appealing, but I just don't think it can be denied that Game Freak are like a decade behind the competition...and they don't have the excuse of being limited by the hardware anymore. Plenty of other devs transitioned to HD and from handheld to console hardware without these kinds of issues, let alone a studio like Game Freak that literally sells like 8 million full-priced copies of what would be $10 DLC by industry standards. They can afford to either hire more staff, or elevate their technical expertise. There's really no excuse outside of corporate greed imo, and I would find it very weird for people to champion that.

this is one of the most ridiculous and nonsensical post i've ever seen on the internet
it's so blatantly full of lies and conspiracy theories it's incredible

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The OP has failed to produce any actual evidence of this. Nobody in the thread has seen anyone attacking James, either.

Seems like the thread was more intended as a way of stoking the anti-backlash outrage further.

Fair enough. I suppose the unfortunate part, then, is that it's so easy to take for granted that this has occurred, is occurring, or will occur in the future. That's kind of the hardcore gaming community (or at least a vocal part of it)'s MO these days: exploding into extreme rage and harassing game industry folks (whether it's the "right" or wrong folks in each situation) when they don't get something they want, or do get something they don't want. :/

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
The art is alright. I mean it's based in the UK. So for me the art is nothing special as I live in the UK...it looks like British countryside which after Sun/Moon's hawaii theme for me is just boring.

It's probably the most boring looking pokemon world design of all time. But that fits with it needing to look like the UK ...okay that was a bit mean hehe

I see no Cornish scenery or Scottish highland scenery in the games...they are really good parts of the UK

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Are we not allow to criticize an art direction if it's by a new director? Or are we just assuming all the criticism is toxic?
I don't have particular interest in this franchise anymore but I think the world looks bland even ignoring the technical issues and with the technical issues looks pretty poor. The new Pokémon are pretty solid though.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
"a quarter of the galar region" are you for real
So the entire post was lies and conspiracy theories because of that one thing? I already replied to someone else earlier on this page that I meant a quarter the length of the entire region. Because I mean...it is.

kPpO0RK.png

EscUq6q.jpg

Like...doesn't that seem weird to you? Those two cities are super close to each other in a way that makes the world seem really small. I can't even think of another (fully 3D) rpg with a similar sense of scale like that. And the lake area is genuinely small, too. We've seen it from like every angle already in the gameplay footage so far, so I'm not pulling this out of my ass. I'll be very surprised if it's bigger than Ocarina's Hyrule Field.

Last edited:

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Is this like one of those articles where all you have to do is find 2 rando tweets on twitter to support the premise you already decided on?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Field size is preferable for the current style of gameplay tbh. I remember when people were hyped about just the potential of bigger areas and camera control but seem to be backpedaling now.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the entire post was lies and conspiracy theories because of that one thing? I already replied to someone else earlier on this page that I meant a quarter the length of the entire region. Because I mean...it is.

kPpO0RK.png

EscUq6q.jpg

Like...doesn't that seem weird to you? Those two cities are super close to each other in a way that makes the world seem really small. I can't even think of another (fully 3D) rpg with a similar sense of scale like that. And the lake area is genuinely small, too. We've seen it from like every angle already in the gameplay footage so far, so I'm not pulling this out of my ass. I'll be very surprised if it's bigger than Ocarina's Hyrule Field.
I think you overestimate the size of hyrule field.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But...is it? Way out?

I mean not transferring all of the models to hd I mean okay there are a lot of pokemon, but those trees even if a seemingly silly little thing shows a lack of investment or time? That should really be there for one of their biggest money makers

Not being on handheld anymore comes with a lot of expectations and so far they are kind of performing poorly, but I am happy they are trying
Its also a game in development thats still months out while we were shown a E3 demo thats who knows how old, why are we concemtrating on a tree in the breakdown

Aug 29, 2018
Its also a game in development thats still months out while we were shown a E3 demo thats who knows how old, why are we concemtrating on a tree in the breakdown
Spin all you want but this clearly isnt a puddle gate

Gamefreak has gotten passes in a lot of ways for a long time, itll be more obvious with them on console. Youkai watch 4 looks significantly better imo and sort of a shame we arent getting it

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spin all you want but this clearly isnt a puddle gate

Gamefreak has gotten passes in a lot of ways for a long time, itll be more obvious with them on console. Youkai watch 4 looks significantly better imo and sort of a shame we arent getting it
Yo-Kai Watch 4 runs remarkably poorly.

Not to say for certain that Sword and Shield doesn't, mind you, but people would be furious if Game Freak put out a game with technical performance that bad.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the criticism is directed to GF as a whole, and deservedly so. This game is a disappointment tech-wise but that's GF for you after GBC so not sure what people expect.

Nessa is probably the best designed character in whole pokemon history imo, after Red

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
This has been by far the most baffling Era thread in some time. I mean, the drunk threads I can understand even.

Maybe I missed a post a few pages back? But who is criticizing James Turner?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Because the one comment we've had from Game Freak is that they cut Pokemon in not just Sw/Sh but every future mainline title because they are focusing on visual quality. And yet the game looks extremely mediocre for the hardware - poor animation, low resolution muddy textures, lack of detail, lack of foliage, flat lighting, you name it. The tree is basically the "wall guy" of this game, an easy symbol to mock that sums up the mood towards the product as a whole. I'm sure the visuals will improve a little before release (I mean, we've seen freaking floating walls in the trailer, they have to), but you expect they'll really polish up the game up enough visually to make the removal of hundreds of Pokemon satisfactory?

As for criticism towards the art of the game, the only bit I've seen is directed towards that ugly pink demon thing, people are going mad over Wooloo, Nessa and the female trainer - you'd expect Reddit to be ablaze but it's been very civil there, with the current method of mocking Dexit being to draw Pokemon disguised as others trying to sneak over the Galar border.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
low resolution muddy textures
If you're talking about the tree, that's not how it usually looks. It's a compressed stream in the rain when things are dulled and blurred for the rain atmosphere and so forth. People have taken it to extremes. I mean the trees don't look amazing but they're fine considering the style.

They're going for a style like an anime/manga. What detail is missing?

I don't understand this as there's plenty

Can you explain how it's flat as from what I've seen, it isn't...

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

kPpO0RK.png

EscUq6q.jpg

have you ever heard of the concept of landscape
it's as ridiculous as saying that because you can see the center of hyrule's field in this map, it's that small. like, that's not how perspective works dude
not to mention that not everything is 1:1 in this map, it's not supposed to be more than a representation of the repartition of galar's areas. the cities, as we've seen, are much bigger than what they look to be in the map (and that makes sense otherwise the map would be bloated when drawn)
double_1487330294849_file_the_legend_of_zelda_-_breath_of_the_wild_screenshot___3__.jpg

and pretty much everything else on your post was based on poor generalizations and a general bad faith regarding the visual aspects of this game. especially the example of the tree which just shows that it's overall a regurgitation of the dumb arguments you'd find spammed under an official pokémon tweet

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
If you're talking about the tree, that's not how it usually looks. It's a compressed stream in the rain when things are dulled and blurred for the rain atmosphere and so forth. People have taken it to extremes. I mean the trees don't look amazing but they're fine considering the style.

They're going for a style like an anime/manga. What detail is missing?

I don't understand this as there's plenty

Can you explain how it's flat as from what I've seen, it isn't...
I really don't feel like taking screenshots on this sluggish laptop so I've give you a random image from Google:

wildarea.jpg

I mean, just look at the wild areas, they're huge flat expanses with barely any detail at all, a few trees, a few criss-crossed extremely low resolution tufts of grass meshes, very little in the way of elevation changes, no flora or fauna. Wild? They look more like someone's neatly trimmed lawn. The ground and tree textures are hot garbage and stand out like a sore thumb against the nice character models. The lighting is self explanatory, blaring spotlights above and barely any shadows (due to the lack of foliage) combine to offer no depth in the colour palette, turn Oblivion on PC down to low settings and you're looking at the same lack of detail. And no, a bit of overblown bloom doesn't cover it up. The obligatory patches of wild Pokemon grass dotted around look fine, but the rest is a joke compared to both BotW and Xenoblade. Speaking of, here is just a random generic looking Xenoblade 2 image from Google for comparison.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-2-Unique-Monster-Location-Guide-900x506.jpg

Same hardware, comparable numbers of staff. "It's anime style" is a terrible excuse, Eternal Sonata shares a very similar visual style and yet still has significantly more impressive geography and a bit extra foliage in its similarly sized fields despite being 12 years old.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I really don't feel like taking screenshots on this sluggish laptop so I've give you a random image from Google:

wildarea.jpg

I mean, just look at the wild areas, they're huge flat expanses with barely any detail at all, a few trees, a few criss-crossed extremely low resolution tufts of grass meshes, very little in the way of elevation changes, no flora or fauna. Wild? They look more like someone's neatly trimmed lawn. The ground and tree textures are hot garbage and stand out like a sore thumb against the nice character models. The lighting is self explanatory, blaring spotlights above and barely any shadows (due to the lack of foliage) combine to offer no depth in the colour palette, turn Oblivion on PC down to low settings and you're looking at the same lack of detail. And no, a bit of overblown bloom doesn't cover it up. The obligatory patches of wild Pokemon grass dotted around look fine, but the rest is a joke compared to both BotW and Xenoblade. Speaking of, here is just a random generic looking Xenoblade 2 image from Google for comparison.

Same hardware, comparable numbers of staff. "It's anime style" is a terrible excuse, Eternal Sonata shares a very similar visual style and yet still has significantly more impressive geography and a bit extra foliage in its similarly sized fields despite being 12 years old.
I have shown various screenshots that show that it's not flat but here's one which shows shadows and foliage while being on a slope

31.jpg
49.jpg
92.jpg

All show heights, slopes, foliage, terrain, shadows (when applicable...no shadows in cloud when raining). I could provide many more similar screenshots if you wish.

I could also cherry pick some flat areas in Breath of the Wild to make the point too, saying how it's flat and lifeless.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

wildarea.jpg

nice cherry pick
wild areas are also this. they're a varied huge environment with different landscapes (and yes, flat landscapes also exist in real life). because the hardware allows it doesn't mean that you have to make everything bloated like in xenoblade 2 (which is not a bad thing, but just a different artstyle resulting in a much lower rendering resolution compared to pokémon), just looking at zelda botw shows that doing things more simplistic works perfectly as well
https:///wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Screenshot-263.jpg
wildarea2.jpg

screen_shot_2019-06-05_at_8.43.42_am_2.jpg

screen_shot_2019-06-05_at_8.43.41_am_2.jpg

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

kPpO0RK.png

EscUq6q.jpg

One, you selected the whole dragon city and beyond on the map when that isn't visible in that shot, and two, I already said the map isn't representative of the actual game.