• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Well, the title says it all, many franchises have a black sheep, not necessarily a bad game, nor the worst of the franchise, but for various reasons, like a poorly made retcons, strange fate of certain characters, bad conclusions, gameplay mechanics that have regressed, among a lot of other things, people decide to forget about the existence of that game in the franchise. And yet, no matter what everyone says, you still love this game, it may even be your favorite game in that franchise, who knows?

When the idea of making this thread came to mind, the game that I immediately remembered that fits in this question was Batman Arkham Origins, it is a game that has been widely criticized for several reasons and that is certainly in the position of black sheep in the Arkham franchise, mainly because it is from another developer, but I don't care, it is certainly my favorite among the 4 Batman games and the one I had the most fun with.
9755760a6d690c3bf5319e770b498f8e.jpg

Aaaand, Sonic Unleashed too, to be fair i don't know how Unleashed would negatively influence Sonic's lore (lol), but putting it alongside games like Sonic 2006, for example, it makes it not infamous enough for many people to remember/care about it (or even know of its existence, yes, I've met people who didn't know about this game), so humanity simply decided to forget about this game, and again, do I care? Nop, it's my favorite Sonic game(At least the 3D ones), I loved every second and I will defend Sonic Werehog until the day of my death.
707776c7e6f55dba98351be4aa177704551eb61br1-800-480v2_uhq.jpg

And I'm sorry if the thread looks weird, or simple, it's the first time I've made an "elaborate" thread since I think it would create good discussions.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the true black sheep is Halo 4.

That being said I've seen a lot of people shitting on MCC Halo 3. Bad BR, clunky, etc. It's my favorite Halo in the MCC collection by far

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 2 is probably my fav Dark Souls.
MGSV while being my least fav mainline MGS, is still a masterpiece and one of my all timers.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here on Era, considering how many shit on the game, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Kojima finally gave his players the courtesy of allowing us to experience his story in bite-sized pieces instead of being forced (with a few exceptions) to watch 25-minute monologues. The game is jam packed with easter eggs, gameplay, and overall content. It truly pushed the PSP system to it's limits.

The weapon-collecting and soldier-collecting was a fun distraction, and the simple story was a breath of fresh air after the insanity of MGS4.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Easily Resident Evil 5.

Chris is my favorite RE lead, Sheva is amazing and I would love to see her more. Heck even the boulder punching and super human Wesker where fun as hell.

Also Lost in Nightmare was amazing.

Edit: OMG I overlooked it at first but Final Fantasy XIII. Fang is so damn cool, easily best FF Female character in my book and I actually loved Lightning in XIII (even if I hated her later) plus I shipped her so hard with Jihl before launch I can't help but look at it fondly and wish the follow ups had gone a different way.

Last edited:

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Love both Arkham Origins (finally got to play Cold, Cold Heart for the first time recently) and Sonic Unleashed.

Final Fantasy 8 is also a personal favorite.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Does Splinter Cell Double Agent count? I feel like it's considered the worst one but I loved it.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Another vote for Mario Sunshine. Graphics were impressive at the time and a main Mario game not based in the typical Mushroom Kingdom levels was very cool.

Also, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (DS remake of the first FE) was my first FE and I loved it, some time later I found out it was poorly received by most fans.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dragon Age II.

I cannot firmly and presently back it up, but at the time of its release, I had never played Dragon Age 1 and I got kinda gripped by the story in DA2. I do not imagine I'd like it much if I were to give it another go right now, but I played it start to finish and all of the game's flaws were absolutely evident... I still had a blast experiencing that story, though. I also thought the Blood Magic concept was super cool and had a very tanky, health-restorative build that I found extremely satisfying to use on my Hawke.

I ended up only playing the first 15 hours of Inquisition before completely burning out. Would like to revisit it and see if I can try to streamline my flow through that game and not worry so much about completing every little sidequest.

But yeah, against all odds and very very very understandable criticism, I loved Dragon Age II when I played it around its release.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Another thread to profess my love of Xenoblade Chronicles X. Best in the franchise.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Dragon Age 2. 90% of the problems are fixed in the dlc. It has one of, if not, the best casts of any rpg. The combat is responsive, fun to watch and surprisingly deep. Moreover it does something very few rpgs do in that it avoids the chosen one narrative entirely. And the politics are fucking prescient.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill: Homecoming. It's not a great game, but I sort of love it in a guilty pleasure way.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
OP you posted ones I agree with but I also love Burnout Revenge specifically because the traffic checking, which a lot of people hated. I know it eliminated some quick thinking but it's so fun and sometimes I want to plow through shit

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
Not much comes to mind but I really enjoyed Dark Souls 2, for what its worth. Even if its my least favourite.

Maybe-sort-of the Mega Man Battle Network games? In the sense that I honestly prefer them over the side-scroller series'.

Jan 11, 2018
Uncharted 1/3
Dead Space 3
MGS4
Silent Hill 4
Metroid II RoS
Metroid Prime 3
Dark Souls 2
Resident Evil 6
God of War: Ascension

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Broken record in these type of threads but Zelda II is superior to one in every single way and gets hated one because it's so different. And if anyone disagrees they are wrong!!!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Splinter Cell Conviction.

I know a lot of people don't like it compared to Chaos Theory and Blacklist, but it's probably my favorite Splinter Cell game.

I never got into Blacklist partially because I miss Ironside, but mostly because I hated the control layout change. I just thought it worked so well in Conviction and I hated it moving to "press button to stick to cover."

Broken record in these type of threads but Zelda II is superior to one in every single way and gets hated one because it's so different. And if anyone disagrees they are wrong!!!
Oh yeah, I vastly prefer Zelda II over the original Zelda.

mildshock.flv

edit: also, my favorite Assassins' Creed was the first one.

Last edited:

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Sonic Unleashed is a great pick for this thread

Metal_Gear_Solid_V_The_Phantom_Pain_cover.png

One favorite games of the last decade.

Tomb_Raider_-_Underworld.png

The game is a bit janky but I still love it.

MvCI_Cover.png

Roster kinda sucks but it's still the most fun game in the series.

starfoxwiiu1jpg-65248b.jpg

The controls are great, fight me.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider 2013 is secretly one of the best third person shooters ever made and the complaints about it not being another bad Tomb Raider game made the reboot trilogy increasingly worse as a result. The combat in 2013 was excellent, and the movement options, quick weapon swapping, and arrow abilities really made each encounter really fun.

These next examples aren't ones I love necessarily, but are ones that I enjoy a fair amount despite being known as terrible.

Deus Ex Invisible War was pretty flawed, but it's still a Deus Ex game at heart and is more authentic an experience than the ones Eidos-Montreal would make (which isn't to say those were bad games, far from it).

Perfect Dark Zero has a lot of jank to it, but there's still a lot of Perfect Dark goodness to be had. The weapon animations were pretty good, I'll need to capture a proper jif of the Jackal in action because it has some of my favourite bolt action animation in a game. Its implementation of a loadout system was neat too, as it allowed you to replay missions and bring in other weapons and gadgets that allowed things to play out differently -- even if the plasma rifle was overpowered as all get out and gave you no reason to use anything otherwise.

Nov 1, 2017
Not really forgotten, but most of the examples ITT aren't either so... Sonic CD. The level design is a hot mess, but in a fun way. And the soundtrack rules.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Mario 2 USA is my favourite NES Mario game.

Fallout 4. Even though I can see some of the criticism, especially in the dialogue/quests, I love it.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Another Resident Evil 6 thread. Game has enormous flaws but I can't help but love it.

Agree with the OP on Arkham Origins, it's still an absolute crime it never got a remaster this gen along with City and Asylum.

I feel like Halo 4 is considered pretty decent overall. Halo 5 on the other hand, whilst unfortunately having the worst campaign in the franchise, has some of the best competitive multiplayer in the entire series. I feel like it doesn't get enough credit for that.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Why is XCX a black sheep?

Thought it was received pretty well and sold alright for a wii u game.

Aaronsteel

Sep 24, 2018
DmC. Yeah the dialog was a bit juvenile but I liked its visual style, and the boss fights were gorgeous and creative. I stopped 1 and 4 a few hours in, but this one engaged/engrossed me all the way to the end (still haven't played 5 past the demo though).

Also seconding the Splinter Cell Conviction post above. Great visual style, AMAZING cover system (i know a lot of the future Clancy games adopted it somewhat but I still like this one the best), and a wonderful co-op mode. Again, I stopped Blacklist and SC1 a few hours in, but this one i played through multiple times.

Also Metroid Prime 3 and Resident Evil 6. I'm beginning to notice a lot of these (and ones i agree with) are games I played first in their respective series without a huge attachment to their franchises lol.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Star Fox Zero all day. Love the controls!

Twisted Metal III. My first TW game. Love TM4 as well.

Crackdown 3 is the best Crackdown.

I love Saints Row 2, but I loved Saint Row The Third a lot more.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age II.

I cannot firmly and presently back it up, but at the time of its release, I had never played Dragon Age 1 and I got kinda gripped by the story in DA2. I do not imagine I'd like it much if I were to give it another go right now, but I played it start to finish and all of the game's flaws were absolutely evident... I still had a blast experiencing that story, though. I also thought the Blood Magic concept was super cool and had a very tanky, health-restorative build that I found extremely satisfying to use on my Hawke.

I ended up only playing the first 15 hours of Inquisition before completely burning out. Would like to revisit it and see if I can try to streamline my flow through that game and not worry so much about completing every little sidequest.

But yeah, against all odds and very very very understandable criticism, I loved Dragon Age II when I played it around its release.
Dragon Age 2. 90% of the problems are fixed in the dlc. It has one of, if not, the best casts of any rpg. The combat is responsive, fun to watch and surprisingly deep. Moreover it does something very few rpgs do in that it avoids the chosen one narrative entirely. And the politics are fucking prescient.
One more for DA2. The bugs are what really hurt, and the reused dungeons are inexcusable for a AAA game. Narratively, I really liked being confined to a city, and seeing different factions and people do things as time passed. Not a perfect game, but very interesting. Prefer it over DAI, MEA, and maybe ME3.

Jan 3, 2019
ps2_ratchet_deadlocked_p_ierfvj.jpg

Maybe not now cause there were some actually bad Ratchets, but people used to dislike Deadlocked and call it the worst in the series and I always thought was unfair. Let me make a case for it:

- Possibly the best satire in the series
- Cool arena
- Gangsta dual pistols