• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Stuff like this makes me mad...

94eb77_db71cdafe94a4ab196c30d8958bf3042~mv2.webp

94eb77_b9fdbd206a5f4e3bb96acb74cfd6af24~mv2.webp

^ Yes, there is text here ^

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
You know, this is something I've gone back and forth with in my own game. I find that the larger text ends up making my game look like some mobile game. Recently, I've stuck with a size I think is fine, but I guess we'll see once it's released. Large text really looks strange and makes it hard to get enough stuff on the screen. Also, the larger the text, the more buttons people have to press in order to get through all of the dialog. This is especially true if a game is particularly wordy.
The best thing to do is to allow options. Have a default, but if I want to make the text bigger and suffer it looking like a mobile game, let me do that. Please.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Gears 5 is also terrible for this. Myself and my wife have to stand up and go right up to the screen to ready any of the onscreen text.

Is this a symptom of a push to 4K? Similar to what happened when we transitioned from standard to hi-def?

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Text size is a major problem with many games in portable mode on switch. I don't understand why this is an issue so many developers fail to address.
Real talk, in Pokemon the Japanese text size is perfect but when I switched to English the text for certain UI elements made me go "Holy FUCK this is way too small"

I mean, I can read it but it strains my eyes.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Even though I'm slightly nearsighted and never use my glasses, I can't agree with large text. Your TVs are too small, or you're sitting too far away.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Don't ruin my vision like this.

While I don't consider the text too small in any of the games you mention, accessability is key and not everyone has the same eyesight. So an option to make text bigger - or even better, to make it all kinds of sizes - should be standard.

With that said, I think most games look much worse with big text, they almost look like casual games. But a larger text should be an option.

You know, this is something I've gone back and forth with in my own game. I find that the larger text ends up making my game look like some mobile game. Recently, I've stuck with a size I think is fine, but I guess we'll see once it's released. Large text really looks strange and makes it hard to get enough stuff on the screen. Also, the larger the text, the more buttons people have to press in order to get through all of the dialog. This is especially true if a game is particularly wordy.

Yup, that's a good point - large text just looks bad, as I said above. But - BUT - this is no excuse for excluding people who have a hard time reading that text. So, an increase text option should be present, even at the cost of the visual presentation.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds is soooo bad with this. For such a dialog heavy game, I actually have to sit closer to the TV instead of on my couch.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely had to lean in to read a lot of the text in death stranding

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Give us options. I hate having to press "B" five times to read what would be a short paragraph in a book.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I was fine with Fire Emblem and God of War, but Outer Worlds did it for me. I'm sitting a normal reasonable distance from my tv (like 6-8 feet maybe) and that game has some text within items descriptions, and such that I have to walk up to the tv and squint to see. This is with me wearing my glasses which give me 20/20 vision.

Thankfully at least the main dialogue text isn't quite as bad, but fully agree this shouldn't happen.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I have to use the PS4 zoom feature far too often because of this issue. It really should be the norm at this point.

Of the games I've played in the last year or so, Spider-Man was the only one to have the option at launch IIRC.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Maybe MMOs aren't a fair comparison here but man do I love that I can customise every single bit of HUD in FFXIV to my personal comfort.

Even if the interface is one big jankfest of UI components out the wazoo, least I can read what the fuck everything says.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
What's weird is the text often doesn't even look acceptable on a monitor up close so how does it pass QA?

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Holy shit, yes.

I made a rant about how boring a lot of menus in games were getting, and the argument I got back was "But it's function over form", which doesn't apply if the text is too small to be read.

Just look at these:
4XcB9dp.jpg

oeW6ViR.jpg

viVmTQb.jpg
vJr6geD.jpg

wskuamcbo02kkyt97ifl.jpg

(This last image is at max text size)

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I wonder if the reason for people having a problem with this - and me not having a problem - is the distance vs TV size. I have a 55" TV and my armchair is 2m away from the TV. Rtings recommends 2.75m distance for 55" TVs, for example.

www.rtings.com

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Our TV Sizes to Distance Calculator helps you choose the right size TV for your space. The optimal viewing distance is about 1.6 times the diagonal length of the television. For example, for a 55” TV, the best distance is 7 feet.

So, my question for those of you who have trouble reading text - is your distance larger than the one recommended above? The One Who Knocks - could you answer this, please, I am genuinely curious.

You too, please, could you look at the chart I posted in the link above and tell me if this is the case (are you sitting too far away from the TV). A genuine question, I totally support the option (as long as it's an option and not mandatory) to make the font bigger.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, and thank fuck for both consoles' zoom functions. That's priority number one for next gen OSs.

Darksiders 3 in-game subtitle size is ludicrous. And I can't pause to read that with zoom so hey, fuck your storyline!! Did I make that clear? Fuck off ludicrous subtitle sizes! I can bear smaller text in menus and shit while paused but cinematicd and gameplay subtitles need real size options. My tv is 32'', come ooon.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be an industry standard that is regulated similarly to television and film.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Agreed. Not all of us are 20 year olds with 20/20 vision. I can't believe how close I had to sit to my TV to see half the text and icons in Trails of Cold Steel 3, and it's definitely not the only (or worst) offender.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I wonder if the reason for people having a problem with this - and me not having a problem - is the distance vs TV size. I have a 55" TV and my armchair is 2m away from the TV. Rtings recommends 2.75m distance for 55" TVs, for example.

www.rtings.com

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Our TV Sizes to Distance Calculator helps you choose the right size TV for your space. The optimal viewing distance is about 1.6 times the diagonal length of the television. For example, for a 55” TV, the best distance is 7 feet.

So, my question for those of you who have trouble reading text - is your distance larger than the one recommended above? The One Who Knocks - could you answer this, please, I am genuinely curious.
I'm a little out of the highest distance recommended at most times. However, the issue is even when I move closer (and am well within the range specified) I have issues with the subtitles in games (only games, movies and TV are fine).

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Agreed. Not all of us are 20 year olds with 20/20 vision. I can't believe how close I had to sit to my TV to see half the text and icons in Trails of Cold Steel 3, and it's definitely not the only (or worst) offender.
Oh yeah, this is another one. Holy shit, this one is bad, which is exacerbated by HOW MUCH IS GOING ON ON SCREEN AT THE SAME TIME.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I'm a little out of the highest distance recommended at most times. However, the issue is even when I move closer (and am well within the range specified) I have issues with the subtitles in games (only games, movies and TV are fine).

Thanks. Yeah, then, I hope devs start adding this option. I mean, Apple has been doing it on iPhones and iPads for a while - adjustable font size for all apps that support dynamic text and "zoomed" mode where everything is a little bit bigger.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP.

And anyone who is against even having options is nothing but a contrarian idiot.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
This is an accessibility issue. Not a preference or a joking "Ha ha, get better eyes you dummy". It's frustrating as someone who has enjoyed this hobby for nearly 30 years to see others act so dismissively.

The problem lies with developers and gaming companies not taking accessibility seriously. Developers are often young and healthy. They sit inches from nice large computer screens making games in a single language (English, with translations as an after thought). The whole idea of allowing more people to enjoy a game in a larger, readable, text is still so new that we get excited when a single game does it right. It should be an industry standard and boring as fuck.

Related:

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Thanks. Yeah, then, I hope devs start adding this option. I mean, Apple has been doing it on iPhones and iPads for a while - adjustable font size for all apps that support dynamic text and "zoomed" mode where everything is a little bit bigger.
Yeah, I think offering the option - just the option - to increase text size should be enforced at the platform level. Maybe a force text specific zoom (I know each console has a Zoom feature, but it's a bit... well, it zooms everything when I would just want the text zoomed, lol).

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite parts about Pokémon Shield is that the text size isn't fucking awful. It's sad when it goes like that.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Gears 5 is awful for this.

I can't imagine anyone would disagree with proper font size options.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
The reason is that these developers go against all guidelines of readability.

Not debating you (thanks for the info), but I have no idea how much is 8% of the screen size, and how much % is text in, say, God of War. :) I'll have to take your word for it.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
remember me of some games that give the option to increase text size. i remember playing one recently...