• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Skarmory had the same sprite from HGSS to Gen 5 as one example. Then you have weird examples like Mamoswine who went back to their DP sprite rather than their Pt/HGSS one in Gen 5
Alright, I had forgotten that some 3rd versions remade them. It wasn't that consistent though. The back sprites generally only were changed between generations. On the other hand, Gold and Silver actually had different front sprites, so each Pokemon got redrawn twice just for those games. Crystal didn't redraw all sprites, although it did edit all sprites to create animations.

Afterwards it's fairly inconsistent. For example, Pikachu has the same sprite through all GBA games, but it has an animation in Emerald. On the other hand, Bulbasaur got an unique sprite for FireRed/GreenLeaf. Meanwhile, Pikachu had unique sprites for Diamond/Pearl, Platinum and HG/SS, but Bulbasaur shared sprites in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, but had an unique one for HG/SS. Then oddly Pikachu gets his standing sprite from Platinum reused for Black/White's animation loop (with stretching of the parts to make him "move"), but Bulbasaur gets a full new one.

Okay, I'm defeated now, thanks guys, I was genuinely curious

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh yes, we're ignoring some random post from a month and half old locked thread that probably everyone forgot about. Like what?

Anyway, his point about fbx files being highly portable is irrelevant when we have no idea how Game Freak's proprietary engine has changed from the 3DS to the Switch.

I work with Maya everyday. Just because my models work in Maya and transport perfectly to Unity 2017.4 doesn't mean they'll work perfectly in Unity 2018.2 and have all my normal maps, lightmaps, rig effectors, and cameras all synced up right via fbx. This is compounded by the fact that Game Freak is working with thousands of assets where if one thing messes up the issues are compounded exponentially.
It's not any more random than citing a blog and another ERA poster so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guess we'll find out when the game is out and gets mined for everything

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
You've moved the goalpost. First it was

"They haven't had to work with HD until now".

To

"They haven't had to work with HD until 2016-2017"

Which doesn't matter at all considering that that they don't have to release a Pokémon game each year. There are maany years they haven't done that. A delayed game is better than a bad one.
I'm not moving the goal post at all. Obviously "until now" meant "until the Switch". We're talking about how much of their future-proofed assets can be recycled for SwSh. So until the Switch was a thing, they never had to touch HD graphics. This was your first claim:

They had more time because they didn't have to release a HD Wii U game like Nintendo or the rest of the Nintendo exclusive devs.

To which I said that meant they had less experience and less time with HD development than the devs you mentioned because the Switch is their first HD platform, not the Wii U. Let's keep a line of thought here.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon almost never reused the Pokémon sprites between generations; at many times the series even had different sprites for the same Pokémon in a single generation. There was a small amount of sprite reuse for Pokémon between generations 4 and 5, but otherwise it was always completely new sprites.

I mean the thing though is that as far as I'm aware, Gen 1 is the only one that did that. Gen 2 definitely had 2 sets of sprites per version(I don't know why) and they merged them for Crystal but gave them a new set.

251 was definitely remade, and then 151 twice in gen 3(unless you are factoring in new animations as a reason)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The issue basically comes down to the fact that these games have to keep coming out yearly/semi-yearly to keep the merchandise and marketing trains on schedule (anime etc.). They aren't going to take more than 2-3 years to make these games because of that.

My concern is now Pokemon will live or die on whether or not GameFreak finds them marketable. I would have been fine with either post-release updates for the old Pokemon, or a complete reboot with only new Pokemon a la Black and White, but the latter seems unrealistic, they're never going to abandon Pikachu, Charizard, etc. as marketing cornerstones. If the content is still as lackluster as the 3DS titles as well, then it's going to be hard to feel like coughing up $60 for it.

Pokemon is a victim of its own success.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The contracts for Gamefreak being autonomous? They publish games on other platforms like PC. They are not owned by Nintendo. They don't have an exclusivity deal with Nintendo on all of their IP like most Nintendo exclusive developers. I'm describing the relationship based on their behavior.
The contracts that shows that they have no constraints related to Pokemon.
I'm pretty sure that despite being rather autonomous Nintendo still has obligations in that regard as well.
It's still nothing but extrapolating sprinkled with his own speculation. He has no idea what engine Game Freak is working with and how many assets they can or cannot reuse.
I mean if you're gonna just ignore the GDC talk GF provided for shits and giggle I guess you get to go all the way.

Exactly, but they had more time to see this coming since they didn't release a Wii U HD title and they had PLG to create the HD developer tools needed. And they had enough money to build an internal dev staff to handle it.
But they didn't have the time to set all of that up.
They never had to care about HD development before because they're working on handhelds anyway, that horizon wasn't coming for half a decade when they went full 3D.
By the time they were done with Gen VI, they had to work with DeNa on making Go and coordinate for LGP/LGE.
Gen VII was timely so I don't think they had any reason to delay that much the Alola games.
Galar seems like it could have waited a year if you ask me.
Money isn't going to solve organizational issues, it just means that they have latitude to pay people but that says nothing about the work there is to do to set up your work environment to absorb more people if needed or shift the practices to exponentially more complex tools.

Atreides

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Woof, are you doing alright friend? Is everything going well in your life? Sure we disagree about pokemon but this post makes me worry about you. Don't worry, it'll all turn out alright in the end.
You don't even know my opinion about pokemon, because I haven't stated it, so how can you know that we disagree? The position that you assume I have is something that you have made up in your mind.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Better to just quote it.
So someone told me to check out the Famitsu interview again and Ohmori does say they had to redo the models from scratch. This makes sense due to different format and perhaps it being hard to port directly across

Now this made me think back to the animations thing. Even if they were able to convert the models, they would need to re-rig every single animation for every single Pokémon, test it and so forth. Like I said, assuming a dozen animations for each Pokémon model (1006 as stated before), that's a craptonne of animations to re-rig and test. Such a thing can't be automated.
Uhh, 3D models are very portable. There's standardized formats that can bake in both the mesh, rigs, and animations — if you need a different format, you just export it to the different format from the source app (Maya, etc) — and yes you could even automate this process with a script to quickly convert thousands of assets. The idea you're suggesting that you have to remake a model from scratch or even re-rig the mesh to get it into a different engine is just bizarre. Like, what do you think happens to the rig and animations in Maya (or whatever app they use to author the assets) when they started working on SwSh? Disappear? No.

Serebii said:
And probably the shift from ARM architecture to the Switch one probably had a factor in.
No, CPU architecture has nothing to do with models. Again, these are standardized formats -- you write an importer to import 3D assets like you would images, sound files, etc -- you don't reinvent a new 3D asset format every time you make a new engine just like you wouldn't reinvent jpg, png, tga, wav, ogg, mp3, etc.

And for what changes CPU architecture did require (in engine code, mostly), they already had Switch experience with Go P/E — that was supposed to be the transition game.

Maybe they did rebuild the models from scratch, but it would be a creative choice -- it wouldn't be mandated by all these reasons you try to give. And judging by the footage we've seen, I'm still skeptical. Take Gyrados for example -- even the model's topology looks identical. If they rebuilt that model for Switch, why leave in the low poly joints in the whiskers? If they were recreated from scratch, they were recreated to match the old model as close as possible... and I assume Game Freak is smart enough to not waste all that time recreating assets they already have.
boudai

iu

BVi1VRN.png

(can even see that the part where it starts to curl is a bit squished in both the 3DS model and the Switch model, suggesting they're using the same animations that deform the whiskers the same way -- it'd actually be quite a lot more effort, an insane amount of work, really, to literally recreate the same model and animations from scratch and have them match up so closely instead of naturally having different proportions, topology, and animations)

Either way, the reasons you provide for why they'd have to recreate or re-rig models is nonsense. If all you claim was true, they would have had to redo all the models and animations for Pokemon Go as well.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah but what about the armchair character model designers that insist it's quick and easy to "upscale" the models already created for the 3DS games? Surely they know what they're talking about

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
...Were there any battle sprites that weren't redone between generations 3 and 4?
They did increase size so I think most were redone, yeah
Even that doesn't show the full picture when I'm pretty sure both sprites don't animate in the same way at all.
Correct. Diamond & Pearl had no animations while Black & White's took elements of the sprite and stretched/contorted them into animation

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Which completely ignores what multiple other developers have said about animation rigs going screwy with new platforms and new engines.

JustinP is correct about the wireframes, but wireframes aren't all a model is.
JustinP's post isn't talking about the wireframe. Please read it again.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
JustinP's post isn't talking about the wireframe. Please read it again.
Well multiple developers are saying otherwise. I also know people in the industry who have said similar to these developers. Why is JustinP more trustworthy than those? Is it because he pushes the narrative you agree with?

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Sure it does. If you were participating in these discussions, which I know you have been, none of this stuff in the USGamer article is new.

Last post in that from me was page 60. I dipped out when shit was getting so toxic in there when people were defending harassing Masuda on twitter and the like. I never read the last few pages so I have no idea what the hell you're getting at. Even if I did "ignore" his post (even though I never saw it), it's not that relevant because of below:

Weird flex from you.

Better to just quote it.

Uhh, 3D models are very portable. There's standardized formats that can bake in both the mesh, rigs, and animations — if you need a different format, you just export it to the different format from the source app (Maya, etc) — and yes you could even automate this process with a script to quickly convert thousands of assets. The idea you're suggesting that you have to remake a model from scratch or even re-rig the mesh to get it into a different engine is just bizarre. Like, what do you think happens to the rig and animations in Maya (or whatever app they use to author the assets) when they started working on SwSh? Disappear? No.

Since we're bringing this up again, I'll repost this:

Anyway, his point about fbx files being highly portable is irrelevant when we have no idea how Game Freak's proprietary engine has changed from the 3DS to the Switch.

I work with Maya everyday. Just because my models work in Maya and transport perfectly to Unity 2017.4 doesn't mean they'll work perfectly in Unity 2018.2 and have all my normal maps, lightmaps, rig effectors, and cameras all synced up right via fbx. This is compounded by the fact that Game Freak is working with thousands of assets where if one thing messes up the issues are compounded exponentially.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Correct. Diamond & Pearl had no animations while Black & White's took elements of the sprite and stretched/contorted them into animation
If memory serves, they used something similar to puppet animation so that parts of the part could be rotated and stretched easily, no?
That's something that wasn't easily done back in the day but the result can be impressive.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They did increase size so I think most were redone, yeah
I'm pretty sure all of them were redone.
Well multiple developers are saying otherwise. I also know people in the industry who have said similar to these developers. Why is JustinP more trustworthy than those? Is it because he pushes the narrative you agree with?
They could be saying otherwise for other aspects of the post, but it's pretty clear JustinP is not just talking about the wireframe. Hence why I asked you to read it again.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
lol @ people comparing SwSh to Fire Emblem earlier in the thread

Don't be insulting to IS and KT
From a technical standpoint, SwSh might end up faring better, actually. Three Houses is a much bigger leap in gameplay for the Fire Emblem series than SwSh is for Pokemon, but Three Houses also looks and runs like crap.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From a technical standpoint, SwSh might end up faring better, actually. Three Houses is a much bigger leap in gameplay for the Fire Emblem series than SwSh is for Pokemon, but Three Houses also looks and runs like crap.
Are we talking Let's Go Viridian Forest bad, or double battle with 3D on in X and Y bad?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Making them sprite based again would only compound the problem by several orders of magnitude. Animating a sprite is so much more work than for 3d models, for a start.
The kind of fidelity 2D sprites requires at 1080p would be an absolute nightmare to work with, let alone if they intend to fully animate them.
And it would look worse than basic 3D models too.
Are we talking Let's Go Viridian Forest bad, or double battle with 3D on in X and Y bad?
Wasn't 3D disabled in double battles?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
In terms of framerate, Viridian Forest bad in some parts of the monastery, so it's not the biggest issue. I was talking more about how it kicks the Switch fans into high gear, more than you'd expect for a Switch game whose visuals don't really justify such a high clock imo, and saps the Switch battery really quickly.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It should also be noted that until E3 2019, the framerate and graphics were a continuing sore point that you couldnt avoid hearing about. Once we knew the full scope, as well as glowing previews came, it made the game even more appealing. Of course the graphics are still a sore point, but it seems what we have gained was enough to win people over.

I'm not sure if Pokemon can do that given its stringent schedule

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
As time goes on I realize it more and more: 3D was a mistake, every game should just be stylized hand-drawn 2D like Hollow Knight or Odinsphere.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Are you telling me everyone on the forum who kept saying "they already have all the 3D models, lazy devs, its easy gamefreak etc., etc." are wrong!?

Blasphemy. Game Freak literally killed our favorite dogs (mons). They have hell to pay.

#BrokenSword #BrokenShield

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It should also be noted that until E3 2019, the framerate and graphics were a continuing sore point that you couldnt avoid hearing about. Once we knew the full scope, as well as glowing previews came, it made the game even more appealing. Of course the graphics are still a sore point, but it seems what we have gained was enough to win people over.

I'm not sure if Pokemon can do that given its stringent schedule
Yeah, Three Houses's sheer scope and ambition makes up for its technical shortcomings. SwSh will also be a huge game, but Pokemon fans take for granted how large every Pokemon game is.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Qucik question, do you share the same opinion when it comes to fighting games? That every new iteration should have all previous available characters?
Not a good comparison, because fighting games aren't built on 20 years of forwards compatibility and aren't selling a service to continue this despite cutting characters in the main titles.