• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Game development is always difficult. This is not surprising, not should this be an excuse for flaws in games.

Nov 14, 2017
I look forward to seeing how Gamefreak justifies not allowing Galvantula et al to be transferred to the inevitable Diamond/Pearl remakes when its model and animations have already been updated for this gen. Will they introduce Enormamaxing to the Sinnoh region which has new animations other Sword/Shield natives won't be able to use?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
So can you tell me what you think is ambitious other than stating that you think it's ambitious?
Overworld encounters everywhere, much bigger environments, one which is even bigger and open with a controllable camera for the first time with different biomes affected by weather conditions, revamped online component where you can see your friends in the world walking around with you and with which you can do new things like multiplayer Raids which are also linked to a new battle mechanic that encompasses previous mechanics in a streamlined yet deeper way. On top of having to do all the work for the HD graphics in their first real attempt. And they usually reveal even bigger features as we get closer to release.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like updating Pokemon models for HD would have been something a smart company would have done in like... 2011

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I could give them credit for the effort it takes to update models, but budget seems like a funny concern. Sure there's a limitation for every game, but the output doesn't seem reflective of the amount of sales a game like this will bring in compared to most AAA fairs. Hell, even compared to Nintendo games this doesn't match up as well in a lot of instances.

Yeah and Pokémon is the #1 media brand globally. So it ain't a question of profit vs no profit. It's a question of profit vs more profit

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I am also not saying that Three Houses isn't ambitious. I am playing it and loving it right now as my first FE. I'm saying that Pokémon is being ambitious in a different way and it shouldn't be dismissed for no reason
I guess that's where we disagree. I just don't see SwSh as ambitious at all. If it were I would be waaay more forgiving. Monster Hunter World was ambitious, and so no one on Earth complained that the number of monsters went from 100+ in XX to 35 in World (and Capcom's reassurance that they were working as fast as they could on more to come certainly didn't hurt). That's the biggest difference to me, and why so many fans are struggling with decision.

Sure there are trade offs in game dev, and doing one thing often means you can't do something else. But all I'm seeing is what we're losing and can't find any evidence of what we're gaining.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Lazy devs rhetoric
I wonder if my boss would be that understanding if I did only half of my job...

"Oshawott, why did you fill just half of these reports?"
"I'm sorry boss. There were too many reports to fill. Too many lines and too little time... I also have this personal project I was working on at the same time."
"Oh, alright, that makes sense, I guess the executives will understand. Here's your paycheck."

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I feel like updating Pokemon models for HD would have been something a smart company would have done in like... 2011

They did, and then when it came time to use those models in an HD mainline title, they punted citing models that were supposedly future proofed and animations done by a tiny division of Creatures.

Deleted member 51608

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 4, 2019
And unlike literally every dev in the universe Gamefreak has the #1 brand globally to monetize. They make hundreds of millions minimum per year. Most Dev's dont have the option to increase the budget themselves, they would have to ask for a budget increase. This is not an issue for Gamefreak/Creatures Inc.

Guess what my dude, it's the #1 BRAND, not game series. Do you know how much stuff like animated series and now giant Hollywood blockbusters costs? Manga and toys and animated movies and shirts and everything. They all feed the brand yes, but not all of them are going to be profitable. The games probably prop up the much of the multi media, not the other way around. And why have the multi media then? To keep the games relevant. To have a brand that is still wildly popular and selling for over 20 YEARS is not easy. Brand management is not a perfect formula, and cases like Assasins Creed, Halo, Digimon, Sonic, every Sony mascot, just show that a WILDLY popular IP can crater for different reasons.

If an animated tie in was still wildly profitable strategy, there would be more of them. But Animated series cost a lot of money and time and management so a lot of them need to be profitable in other ways. Like selling toys. And would you look at that, selling toys is it's own nightmare. Physical objects involving retailers, under shipped or over shipped stock is a problem Nintendo has had both of with Amiibo. Issues with shipping, with manufacturers, with retailers, all add management costs.

Add more and more bodies? You run the risk of over saturating the creative process and losing what made it special in the first place. It happened with Asssins Creed years back, look at Microsoft's issues with their star IP's and how making studios JUST for those series isn't being meet with the success of past entries. People like to talk about "heart" or "magic" in a game or series, it's hard to capture or pin down and if you have it, you run the risk of losing it to time, repetition, to many cooks, executive meddling, etc.

Companies like Nintendo and Disney get flack for being precious with the IP's. That each use of them has RULES you need to follow. There are literal guidelines for how Pikachus are protrayed in marketing with do's and don'ts on day the gender marker and pronouns. It seems CRAZY and restrictive and like they are holding the brands back from trying new things. But when you let anything go, you can end up like the Sonic franchise. Just look at the 2 live action Movies: Sega had no say in Sonic's nightmare design, the Pokémon company had the final say on EVERYTHING in Detective Pikachu. They got that control by never giving it up in the first place, by having already existing movie divisions, from having guidelines.

I'm not saying this way of being precious with IP is the best way however, Nintendo and Disney both go thru creative slumps where it seems like all the do is follow a formula until they reinvent it and make something special. It's why Mario is still #1 and why there are times where a newbie like Sonic or Minecraft Steve comes along and usurps his popularity for a time.

Going back to my original point tho, lol, is that the games are just one plank of the IP, and all parts support each other in such a way that no, they don't have unlimited budget and even if they did, MORE BODIES aren't always the answer.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is the most important part of the OP.

This is basically a question of [backwards compatibility] - will the new hardware and software on the Switch be backwards compatible with the old assets from X and Y? Whenever you migrate to a new platform (for example, moving from the 3DS to the Switch), there's a very good chance that the stuff that worked on the old platform will no longer work without a ton of work on the new. It might be because the new hardware handles shaders or normal maps completely differently than others. It might be because the Switch uses different hardware for lighting calculations than the 3DS. It might be because the old assets had baked-in lighting because the 3DS couldn't do dynamic lighting, so pokemon now need a light map in order to look right on the new.

Moving to a new platform is hard. It takes a lot of work, because the new hardware never does all (or even most) things the same way as the old hardware, which means that a lot of massaging, refactoring, and fixing has to take place in order to bring the old stuff in to work on the new. When you're talking about something on a per-pokemon basis, that becomes an exponential growth problem.

The biggest issue here isn't that these tasks are insurmountable, but the fact that there are potentially over a thousand pokemon models that need to be updated for each task. That's a multiplicative scale that can rapidly go off the charts in terms of scope. If they are planning to add just one single new type of animation (like… for example, "sad") to the pokemon's suite, that's hundreds of new animations that need to be made. In the move to the Switch, assets for any single one of these steps for pokemon creation may have been compromised and had to be redone, potentially affecting hundreds of different pokemon.

You can tell who has ever attempted to rig a model based on their posts ITT. It's one of the most frustrating things to do. especially for creature characters like Pokemon. In another thread there were some people who literally thought you could pump out a working Pokemon in a day like what in the world.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and Pokémon is the #1 media brand globally. So it ain't a question of profit vs no profit. It's a question of profit vs more profit
That's how I always saw it. They could do more, or they could do right at par and get the same amount of sales. So they aim lower than they optimally could.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I guess that's where we disagree. I just don't see SwSh as ambitious at all. If it were I would be waaay more forgiving. Monster Hunter World was ambitious, and so no one on Earth complained that the number of monsters went from 100+ in XX to 35 in World (and Capcom's reassurance that they were working as fast as they could on more to come certainly didn't hurt). That's the biggest difference to me, and why so many fans are struggling with decision.

Sure there are trade offs in game dev, and doing one thing often means you can't do something else. But all I'm seeing is what we're losing and can't find any evidence of what we're gaining.
Refer to my previous post as to what I consider a big step up over the previous games:
Overworld encounters everywhere, much bigger environments, one which is even bigger and open with a controllable camera for the first time with different biomes affected by weather conditions, revamped online component where you can see your friends in the world walking around with you and with which you can do new things like multiplayer Raids which are also linked to a new battle mechanic that encompasses previous mechanics in a streamlined yet deeper way. On top of having to do all the work for the HD graphics in their first real attempt. And they usually reveal even bigger features as we get closer to release.
I mean you may personally think that's not enough for you to justify the Pokémon cut, but you can't really say this isn't the most ambitious Pokémon game yet. Those aren't small changes to the formula, and are in many ways bigger changes than what FE did.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know shit is bad when the best excuse you can come up with for a game is "game development is hard and time consuming."

That's something that applies to every fucking game.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
everyone who knows a bit about game dev and kept an eye on this series saw this coming sooner than later.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Guess what my dude, it's the #1 BRAND, not game series. Do you know how much stuff like animated series and now giant Hollywood blockbusters costs? Manga and toys and animated movies and shirts and everything. They all feed the brand yes, but not all of them are going to be profitable. The games probably prop up the much of the multi media, not the other way around. And why have the multi media then? To keep the games relevant. To have a brand that is still wildly popular and selling for over 20 YEARS is not easy. Brand management is not a perfect formula, and cases like Assasins Creed, Halo, Digimon, Sonic, every Sony mascot, just show that a WILDLY popular IP can crater for different reasons.

If an animated tie in was still wildly profitable strategy, there would be more of them. But Animated series cost a lot of money and time and management so a lot of them need to be profitable in other ways. Like selling toys. And would you look at that, selling toys is it's own nightmare. Physical objects involving retailers, under shipped or over shipped stock is a problem Nintendo has had both of with Amiibo. Issues with shipping, with manufacturers, with retailers, all add management costs.

Add more and more bodies? You run the risk of over saturating the creative process and losing what made it special in the first place. It happened with Asssins Creed years back, look at Microsoft's issues with their star IP's and how making studios JUST for those series isn't being meet with the success of past entries. People like to talk about "heart" or "magic" in a game or series, it's hard to capture or pin down and if you have it, you run the risk of losing it to time, repetition, to many cooks, executive meddling, etc.

Companies like Nintendo and Disney get flack for being precious with the IP's. That each use of them has RULES you need to follow. There are literal guidelines for how Pikachus are protrayed in marketing with do's and don'ts on day the gender marker and pronouns. It seems CRAZY and restrictive and like they are holding the brands back from trying new things. But when you let anything go, you can end up like the Sonic franchise. Just look at the 2 live action Movies: Sega had no say in Sonic's nightmare design, the Pokémon company had the final say on EVERYTHING in Detective Pikachu. They got that control by never giving it up in the first place, by having already existing movie divisions, from having guidelines.

I'm not saying this way of being precious with IP is the best way however, Nintendo and Disney both go thru creative slumps where it seems like all the do is follow a formula until they reinvent it and make something special. It's why Mario is still #1 and why there are times where a newbie like Sonic or Minecraft Steve comes along and usurps his popularity for a time.

Going back to my original point tho, lol, is that the games are just one plank of the IP, and all parts support each other in such a way that no, they don't have unlimited budget and even if they did, MORE BODIES aren't always the answer.

Gamefreak and Creatures control >60% of TPC and get their share of the profit. That's at the low end hundreds of millions each year. All of this special pleading would make sense if they were some little indie studio with a budget controlled by some giant company over them. But that's not the case. And on top of it, they're asking 60$ for it instead of the price of the 3DS games. So they want more profit for less development expenditure.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
No shit it wouldn't just be a simple copy/paste job, but the bulk of the work is already done. Pokemom Go uses the X/Y models and they hold up perfectly fine on super high res mobile displays.
If you just had the model, then I truly wish that was the "bulk of the work done". Texture touchups, lighting, shadows, animation, rigging, rerigging, passes practically have to be done again and again. And then something doesn't animate properly due to the import, and you have to go through it AGAIN.

I think people are heavily mistaking 'less work' for 'practically no work'.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Planning in 2011 for 2019 is impossible because of the advancement of technology over that time, it's not that easy to predict and they did try and 'future-proof' but it didn't work out. All game developers have issues and things that go wrong, regardless of 'planning' and investment (see: Square Enix, Bioware, Level 5 etc).

I wonder if my boss would be that understanding if I did only half of my job...

"Oshawott, why did you fill just half of these reports?"
"I'm sorry boss. There were too many reports to fill. Too many lines and too little time... I also have this personal project I was working on at the same time."
"Oh, alright, that makes sense, I guess the executives will understand. Here's your paycheck."

Yep, that's completely the same thing...

See, this is why I can't take the complaints seriously.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This is the most important part of the OP.

You can tell who has ever attempted to rig a model based on their posts ITT. It's one of the most frustrating things to do. especially for creature characters like Pokemon. In another thread there were some people who literally thought you could pump out a working Pokemon in a day like what in the world.

But they already reused some of the models for PLG. So why not reuse whatever developer tools they created to make that possible?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's like a top 3 franchise in the medium, there's no excuse
No amount of manpower can account for the astronomical permutations involved in a game with 1,000 monsters, 400 attacks, 40 arenas, over a hundred trainers... like Ubisoft with their network of 20,000 developers worldwide couldn't do that the kind of justice you people seem to want. FOH with this nonsense.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
All Pokemon being reduced to these boring static 3D models, and now not even getting them all in games going forward honestly makes me wish they'd go back to sprites.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No amount of manpower can account for the astronomical permutations involved in a game with 1,000 monsters, 400 attacks, 40 arenas, over a hundred trainers... like Ubisoft with their network of 20,000 developers worldwide couldn't do that the kind of justice you people seem to want. FOH with this nonsense.
They did it for 900 on the 3DS. There's no excuse, they just decided it wasn't worth the effort to make a good game when it'll sell regardless.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
Listen, I'm not totally against them cutting the National dex. I don't think I've ever filled it and probably never will, and I understand the issues behind balancing something like 900 Pokémon in a game when they have so many gimmicky add ons that they shot themselves in the foot with. The issue is how they approached revealing the news. They tried to be sneaky and throw it in as a passing line during a Treehouse, iirc. If they had owned up to the change, presented it in a way that showed this is the best next step for this game and the franchise, and helped people see why this decision was necessary, I think this outcome would of been different

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Virtually none of that stuff is new though, and only some of it is new to Pokemon. The fact that camera control is in any conversation is just depressing. I've played games with overworld encounters, I've played games with waaaaayyy bigger environments, where weather affects things, where I can group up with friends, and yes, I've played HD games before. These aren't fresh ideas to me, they're tried and tested. You do you, but I just can't see this as notably ambitious.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Humans all think a certain way except not you and not those that agree with you

Totally sound and not condescending whatsoever cool

Having been in previous Pokemon ERA threads I wouldn't change a word of what I said.

You let people get away with condescending shots at the work ethic of GF so why should I shrink my comments for any of you?

I was only echoing your previous posts where I drew conclusions from previous Pokemon threads on here that all end the same. It seems it's ok to be condescending only when it aligns with your views, I guess.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did it for 900 on the 3DS. There's no excuse, they just decided it wasn't worth the effort to make a good game when it'll sell regardless.
They did it for 900 on the 3DS and the games suffered, or are the 3DS games not suddenly the least liked entries in the series due to their overall lack of content?
"They decided it wasn't worth the effort to make a good game"
a) FOH with the "lazy devs" bullshit, and
b) Yeah, I mean, it's not like they actively tried to improve the games in other ways, like going open hub, having overworld Pokemon, and so on

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
The budget argument is very disingenuous and is presented as 'they need to earn money and not lose it'. However, that's not how it would actually go down. Mainline Pokemon games usually sell 15 million copies at the minimum. That is in line with the biggest AAA games out there. It's more than the premier PS4 exclusives. And this time they'll be selling those copies for 60 instead of 40. The profit margins are probably gigantic. I they had to hire more people or increase the budget in any other way it would mean they'll just be making a little bit less money. Obviously shareholders still don't like that, but there is no way they'd come even close to being in the red.

If the bad PR this game is generating cost them sales then they will lose on some money anyway and be worse off for it.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Having been in previous Pokemon ERA threads I wouldn't change a word of what I said.

You let people get away with condescending shots at the work ethic of GF so why should shrink my comments for any of you?

I was only echoing your previous posts where I drew conclusions from previous Pokemon threads on here that all end the same. It seems it's ok to be condescending only when it aligns with your views, I guess.

Please show me where I've been condescending

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Virtually none of that stuff is new though, and only some of it is new to Pokemon. The fact that camera control is in any conversation is just depressing. I've played games with overworld encounters, I've played games with waaaaayyy bigger environments, where weather affects things, where I can group up with friends, and yes, I've played HD games before. These aren't fresh ideas to me, they're tried and tested. You do you, but I just can't see this as notably ambitious.
Go ahead and tell me what's ambitious in Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, Three Houses, Xenoblade 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Splatoon 2 then.

Being done before =/= not ambitious

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In many ways the upcoming Pokemon games remind me of Gran Turismo 5 and when they had HD models vs. standard models.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They did it for 900 on the 3DS and the games suffered, or are the 3DS games not suddenly the least liked entries in the series due to their overall lack of content?
I can tell you right now, that DS Pokémon level of content is never coming back.

This should have been obvious when Pokémon Let's Go and it's 153 Pokémon roster still ended up having less content than Firered and Leafgreen.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Pokemon is a multi-million dollar franchise which should allow an AAA budget. I'll be honest that I would prefer if no old pokemon were included at all (apart from Eevee because he is ever encompassing and forever relevant), but excusing it because of budget is ridiculous for one of the most successful franchises in the world. They could outsource making these models with other companies if hiring was an issue.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
How is this different from any other AAA video game? They have hundreds of people working on a game for several years.

Yes, to include all the Pokemon they would have to either take a longer time between releases or increase development costs. The reason they chose to do neither is because they know that the games will sell 15 million units regardless, so not doing it is more profitable. Unless you're a shareholder, you shouldn't be happy with this decision.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Hey, there's an addendum on the site. Can we get that added too?

Anonymous asked:

Q. Ok but the models for the older pokemon in the Switch games are literally the old X & Y models. People that ripped the models from the Let's Go games commented that they were the exact same as the Sun & Moon and, thus, X & Y ones, only with better textures. The Gyrados shown in the SwSh trailer, for instance, displays the exact same distortion in its whiskers that the handheld one has.

A. From the [original post]:
"Gamers are notoriously bad at gauging how much work it takes to do something in game development."
"… only with better textures" you say. So you admit they improved the textures? Better textures means that Gyarados also needed new normal maps, new shadow maps, shadow mask, shader work, etc..
aa07b1229cbd9a256559d4df90645304188c79e9.gif

And guess what? If Gyarados needed these, how many other pokemon do you think also need new textures, shadow maps, normal maps, etc.? Here's a quick answer: ALL OF THEM.
Few things in game dev scare me as much as exponentially scaling scope. Seriously.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"They decided it wasn't worth the effort to make a good game"
a) FOH with the "lazy devs" bullshit, and
b) Yeah, I mean, it's not like they actively tried to improve the games in other ways, like going open hub, having overworld Pokemon, and so on
This doesn't look marginally better than the 3DS games. The 3DS games suffered because of it but cutting Pokémon hasn't improved things. If it looked amazing and new instead of the same shit in HD there wouldn't have been this level of blowback. You can pick one or the other and act like everything is fine but not both.

They're not lazy, they're just being cynical businessmen. You have a higher return by putting out an inferior product faster when you have a brand as big as Pokémon.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon games haven't been good for two generations now and the number of pokemon was not the reason. Pokemon has had issues with game engine stability and weird design choices for a long time now.

The decision that baffles me is this: start with a regional dex and then treat the game like a GaaS. Have expansion packs that you charge for that add new regions and pokemon. Pokemon GO didn't start with all the pokemon, they are adding them slowly.