• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you have your game console(s) connected to?

• TV

Votes: 62 62.0%
  • Monitor

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • Both

Votes: 7 7.0%

• Total voters

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I was having an interesting discussion with my cousin earlier who is pretty much the only other gamer in my family besides me. He has always had his game console connected to a PC monitor, which I always found somewhat odd but hey everyone is different. He was telling me today that most of his gamer friends also use PC monitors for their console gaming, I literally never knew this was a widespread thing. I have always had my consoles connected to my TV and just assumed everyone else did as well. What say the folks of ERA? What do you have your game console connected to?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Currently I have my console connected to a TV because I have a TV + monitors in my room, I used to only have monitors so I connected it to that.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
When I play docked, my switch is connected to my 24" 1440p monitor. Looks surprisingly really great on there, even sub 1080p games like BotW.

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
I use my monitors for everything. I don't even have a TV and don't really need one either, since classic cable TV is dead to me and streaming services are all accessible through browsers.

I made this switch back when the Wii U rolled around, since at that point I could finally abandon all analog video standards and switch everything to HDMI / DVI-D / DP. Currently I have my Wii U and the Switch connected to one of my monitors, and I switch the source at the monitor when necessary.

Last edited:

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
TV. Might pick up one of those portable 15 inch monitors I saw a YouTuber using. Pc I use my laptops screen or hook it up to the tv.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the option for both? Right now I'm at my desk playing SFV on my PS4 using my monitor. Other times, I play it on the TV. Depends on how I feel at the time and what I'm doing.

Anytime I'm playing a fighting game, it's on my monitor though. My TV isn't bad, but it can't beat my monitor for input lag.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
I don't own a console but the only reason I can see to connect to a monitor is for refresh rates and/or input lag, and most games barely get to 60 FPS on consoles. You are probably better off getting a nice big TV with HDR.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TV. I want HDR, and I want to sit on my couch. I don't want to get home from work where I work at a desk, and then go back to sitting at a desk.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I played consoles on a monitor for a long time purely for practical reasons. If you have one main TV setup in the house, but your own desk setup (be it in a bedroom, office, etc.) with a monitor, and you don't live alone, you may want to game on the monitor in order to avoid monopolizing the TV. You could obviously just get another TV for gaming in that case, but that's extra cost and space.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Well, used to have our Dreamcast connected to a monitor for VGA goodness. We also used a monitor for our 360 before we got an HDTV. Nowadays yeah, have all that hooked up to a TV.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
used to live in front of my monitor but i bought a home with a spacious living room, couches, 65" and all that. have no desire hook a console into a monitor again but if god forbid i have to share a living space then i can roll with it once more

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Most of my consoles get more use in public tournament/convention settings than at home, and those are always on monitors.

Even my retro consoles are sometimes run on a VGA PC monitor through RGB equipment.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always used TVs. But I know monitors are better. About a month ago I ran my PS4 to my monitor, and I'm never going back. Actually just bought a bigger monitor with HDR.

The clarity, fluidity in motion, and just cleaner image matters a lot to me. TVs also have too much processing going on. Input latency is noticeable as well.

Most people would naturally default to a TV. Consoles are, after all, under TV boxes. But Give a quality monitor a chance. They're just better.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Monitors all the way, because: I don't watch TV nowadays, I don't want worse latency, I don't want to spend money on features I'm not going to use. So I went with the biggest model I could find and have never looked back since.

jayvo

Oct 27, 2017
Game consoles are always connected to my OLED. MY PC is always connected to a monitor because of higher refresh rate and gsync.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Oled TV, i have a Benq monitor and It looks like shit in comparison.
Yep. OLED for PC and console

My LCD gets use for CSGO only. In other games I don't give a shit about 144hz when black level and colors look terrible. XL2730Z so its not a cheap LCD either.