• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Had the urge to play Powerstone 1 & 2. Outbid on eBay too many times. I finally gave up. Powerstone 1 consistently $100+ but part 2 $200+. Nope.

Oct 26, 2017
Most of my Saturn stuff dates back to when it was released so I generally only payed retail prices or lower. Once I got a job and moved out I bought myself some stuff that I always wanted back then but couldn't have. Even then I didn't pay any stupid prices for any of it. The most I shelled out for an older collectors item was (I think) £125 for a very good condition US SNES Chrono Trigger complete in box with all the leaflets. It's been along time since I've bought anything purely for a collection.

Some of the current stuff I have.
PAL Saturn
Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon force, Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes.
Japanese Saturn.
Radiant Silvergun, Numerous Capcom Fighters, Metal Slug with RAM cart, Shining Force 3 parts 2,3 and Premium disc.
PAL Wii
The Last Story collectors edition, Xenoblade Chronicles (normal and collectors with pad) Metroid Prime Trilogy.
Paper Mario TTYD on GC

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking about selling some of my older stuff that I'll almost certainly never play. Seems like this would be a good time to downsize and make some money.
I just found a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends for $3 at a thrift store. It's not in great condition, but still a pretty good find. I saw that one was selling for $100+ on eBay.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Good because I can potentially make a lot of money with selling old stuff that I will never touch again ;) But it's also a lot of effort to sell this stuff and get good prices out of it so I just hold onto it. It's not falling in price anyway. And it feels good to have a massive library of games.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
I had a phase around 8 years ago when I was just trying to make space and got rid of a bunch of stuff, and didn't really care how much I got for it. Apparently I traded in Godhand for $7 to amazon (prices on this are insane now), and mario kart double dash for $19. A few other dumb trade ins like Harvest Moon back to nature.

Obviously wish I hadn't, but I have no desire to rebuy them, and I wouldn't sell them today if I still had them. I mostly buy games as they're new, and don't buy expensive old games just to leave them on my shelf.

Hoping DS games start to spike soon as my collection for that is bigger than anything else, and was actively buying tons of jrpgs towards the end of its life as they were super cheap.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
The cost of the games I've wanted have shot up recently so I've been content with my currently collection. Rule of Rose has always been out of reach varying from 200 dollars up to now 500+ if you want a CIB NA copy of the game so I'm not about to do that, and Silent Hill 1 and 3 are both pretty high compared to what they were like a year ago. I'm hoping at least a tiny bit of dropoff happens so I can start adding to my collection.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Getting rid of my retro stuff ( going through a divorce) can't say I am too upset when I see the money in my bank rise from all of the rare and complete games I had. My ex is atleast sensible in this frame and isn't trying to steal half of it.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who actually plays the retro games they buy, I freaking hate it. Just a couple days ago I was thinking to myself, "what was that weird atlus cel shaded skateboarding game on GameCube? Maybe it's time I give that a spin. Last time I looked at picking it up it was around $20, so it can't be that bad now even with the runup, right?" Oh, it's now going for $3-400. Fuck.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Getting rid of my retro stuff ( going through a divorce) can't say I am too upset when I see the money in my bank rise from all of the rare and complete games I had. My ex is atleast sensible in this frame and isn't trying to steal half of it.
Huh, same situation. I offloaded all my SNES CIBs.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Holding on to all my retro stuff and watching in amusement how the prices increase LOL.

Not buying at moment either. With the release of the Polymega in November I decided to go ahead and finally start collecting for Sega CD and Saturn, but the prices are crazy , the console itself costs $400 , maybe with my Christmas bonus, maybe.

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
Depends on the system. I have sizeable, casually bought collections for Wii and GameCube, but a much more definitive Wii U collection ("wiiucollector" on instagram for pictures). For Wii I often found it very easy to buy joblots to siv out the titles I wanted and often re-sell the ones I didn't and actually be better off, which in turn made the occasions I felt I was paying a lot not seem so bad (for both Wii and GCN I'm pretty sure this was their Fire Emblem entries). However, I absolutely only buy, or hold on to, games that I want to play or seem in some way unique and do not deliberately seek out special editions (some do require or benefit from special accessories). I always found GCN titles to be prone to higher prices, which makes sense. For Wii U, that is a slightly ridiculous collecting scene now in my opinion and I'm so glad I started that years ago and not now as there is so much artificial hype inflation with regards to saying a new holy grail rare item has been found.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Prices are going up right now, no doubt about that. I'm still collecting but I've shifted focus a bit to fourth gen. Mega Drive is my primary target atm. I'll keep collecting PAL Dreamcast games, and I still have a few more Japanese Dreamcast consoles on my list as well as the most valuable Saturn games (those prices are what I'll call divorce prices, though).

Apart from money, my big issue is shelf space. I've given up on the idea of collecting more limited edition Xbox One consoles. They're simply too big. I've also let go of the idea of collecting most odd consoles released (like 3DO, CDi, CD32 and such) because of lack of space. It's a bummer but I can't move house again.

Last edited:

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I haven't collected since like 2016. Was shocked when I started looking again this year lol.

I've still bought a few GBA, GBC games. Still some good deals out there.

Got Dk King of Swing and ChuChu Rockert CIB both under $20. Oracle of Ages was a bit more...

This is probably a good time to part with my PS1 collection. I have a ton of JRPGs. Send me a DM if you're interested. Otherwise they'll be going to eBay.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I waved the white flag on 'active' collecting years ago. If I go into my local thrift store and trip into something by accident ( all games are priced at $2 whether it's a Madden game or Path or Radiance), then I'll pick it up but I'm done scouring the classifieds, yard sales, or FB marketplace like I used to.

I'm pretty content with what I have and no real desire to buy ( especially with current prices) or jump the gun and sell the higher priced stuff while the iron is hot. I could do with trimming away some of those 'it's $2 so why not' games I have no intent to play and just taking up space.

OP
OP
draculabyte

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
I got in before Turbografx/PC Engine stuff started getting crazy and I still feel good about that.

I got a Turbo Duo and a stack of games for a song years back and it remains one of my favourite things. I then got a bunch of other games, and while I might not have a huge list of heavy hitters, I've got a few good ones.

I don't really track prices, but occasionally will browse/see stuff locally and am shocked at the going prices because I paid nowhere near that. It might not be as crazy as some SNES stuff, but I feel it is headed that way.

quick bad photos of most everything I have:

NGYrQlF.jpg

TmpdUqP.jpg
There was a large lot of fresh cased brand new Turbo Duos on ebay in 2012. They were selling for around 1700 or so I believe. I wish I had picked up as many as I could then as they go for a lot as far as I can tell. Don't see many of them these days

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
I'm wanting to pick up a few more NES/SNES/Genesis games. Hard to decide if it's worth going CIB for the Genesis games. It's also tempting to go with Japanese versions in a few of these cases if there's not much text, since they look so much cooler (especially for the Famicom vs NES).

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
I got in before Turbografx/PC Engine stuff started getting crazy and I still feel good about that.

I got a Turbo Duo and a stack of games for a song years back and it remains one of my favourite things. I then got a bunch of other games, and while I might not have a huge list of heavy hitters, I've got a few good ones.

I don't really track prices, but occasionally will browse/see stuff locally and am shocked at the going prices because I paid nowhere near that. It might not be as crazy as some SNES stuff, but I feel it is headed that way.

When they announced the Turbografx/PC Engine mini, I decided to unload all my 8 & 16 bit games and systems... I pulled it all out of storage and cataloged it and advertised it in lots on Kijiji... The lots were system oriented; all my Turbografx stuff, all my Neo Geo stuff, etc... The first couple lots I listed, I thought I'd ask high prices and bargain down, but both lots ended up selling for like 50% than my asking price because bidding wars ensued... After that, I'd put up lots with a "best offer" and they'd sell in a day or less for what I can only describe as crazy prices... I pocketed 6 grand in the first four days and kept it up for a couple weeks until everything was gone but for my Metal Gear collection, my PSP collection, my DS collection, and select bits of my GBA collection (Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, Castlevania, etc)... I've thrown those up on PriceCharting and their current value is listed at 13.5K... Since I didn't pay anything even near to these prices for any of this stuff - and as the wife and I are looking to free up space in the house for more play room for the grandkids living here - it was a win win... but I honestly couldn't believe what these old games are going for now, in a world where pretty much everything I was selling you could play at home on your computer with a good emulator for free...

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if prices are going back down after COVID. If they do I don't think it will be by that much.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Anyone have any idea what a used GameCube with two controllers and maybe 15 games would net me? They are all used. I don't even know what I all I have. I wanna say Mario Double Dash, Mario strikers, waverace, Mario sunshine, others but I'd have to go to parents house to remember what!

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing a lot more handheld game buys and Famicom carts since the shutdown, but I'm happy with just getting loose carts and owning things to play more than for value. I don't see me selling this stuff for much, I'm just enjoying playing the retro-ness.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any idea what a used GameCube with two controllers and maybe 15 games would net me? They are all used. I don't even know what I all I have. I wanna say Mario Double Dash, Mario strikers, waverace, Mario sunshine, others but I'd have to go to parents house to remember what!
Probably at least $300 if the games are complete and everything is in good condition.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to sell this stuff if I'm looking to cash out? A lot of retro stuff I'm willing to get rid of. Is eBay still fine or should I be using offer up/ Facebook marketplace?
There is a guy near me that owns a store that would buy it all but I'm sure it would take a deep cut into the amount I make.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Some system libraries have definitely gone up, these things happen in waves. You can date if prices will start spiking within 10-15 years of the end of a console's lifespan, because people who were kids when the system was new are now old enough to have disposable income to buy games they lost/sold or never got to try out, that's why you're seeing prices soaring on PS2/Gamecube and some Xbox games.

The NES wave came and went and most game prices for NES cartridges have stabilized. Nothing's as cheap as it was in the mid-to-late 90's and early 00's but not as crazy as it was right when the fad started in the mid-to-late 00's and through the 10's. Contra's back to being around $25 for a loose cart, when it was at one point spiking up in the $50-60 range.

I acted early during the end of the PS2/Gamecube era and picked up most of the late-gen titles that were definitely going to start increasing in price like Atlus games on the PS2 or more niche stuff like Gitaroo Man.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm selling a bunch of stuff

get that $$$

What's the best way to sell this stuff if I'm looking to cash out? A lot of retro stuff I'm willing to get rid of. Is eBay still fine or should I be using offer up/ Facebook marketplace?
There is a guy near me that owns a store that would buy it all but I'm sure it would take a deep cut into the amount I make.
I'm selling on Facebook. No fees, instant cash.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Only a collector insofar as I buy them games I want for each system during or shortly after that generation, but part of me enjoys discovering that my copies of EarthBound and Silent Hill 3 (PS2) are currently worth way more than I realized.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Finally started cataloguing my collection thanks to these threads and there were some real surprises. Had no idea persona 3 psp was so much! $170 currently, i feel like that's way too high. Unsurprisingly P1 and P2 were also $100+.

Wii games are still super cheap, but there were already a few games starting to creep up, like Sakura Wars, and even NMH2 is $65. $71 for Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn seems like a steal, seeing what Path of Radiance goes for. All the 1st party game are still super cheap, feels like now's a good time to get on the Wii train before prices start going up in a few years.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Probably at least $300 if the games are complete and everything is in good condition.

Thanks man. Might try to sell it to someone on here. Need to figure out exactly what I got and make sure mom and dad haven't tossed it or anything. Would love it to go to someone who truly loves games and wants to own/play these GC titles.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Wii games are still super cheap, but there were already a few games starting to creep up, like Sakura Wars, and even NMH2 is $65. $71 for Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn seems like a steal, seeing what Path of Radiance goes for. All the 1st party game are still super cheap, feels like now's a good time to get on the Wii train before prices start going up in a few years.

Yeah, I'm happily filling out my Wii catalog right now, but I know it won't last long.
Pandora's Tower and Last Story are going to end up expensive titles for sure, Tatsunoko vs Capcom and the Klonoa remake are starting to creep up in price, too.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Gosh, this thread is pushing me to sell some of my more rare stuff that I don't care about. I had no idea GameCube game prices were climbing like they are.

Also I think it's time to sell my Devil Summoner 2 Limited Edition with the Raiho plush. I bought it complete for $25 ten years ago and it's selling for $250.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
I've slowly been getting back into collecting some old titles that I got rid of years ago. Mainly been getting PS2 titles. Just picked up DQ VIII, Tekken Tag, and Phantasy Star Universe (all CIB/Black Label) for around $15 each. There are a few games that I want to get but they're almost $100 for a CIB copy.

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018
I bought quite a bit of Gamecube and PS2 stuff back in 2012 when I first got disposable income, mainly exclusive stuff I missed out on, things like Paper Mario Thousand Year door, Resident Evil Remake, MGS Twin Snakes, Jak 1-3. Back then I think I payed at most like 30 bucks for some of these games. Theonly ones I'm really missing are the 3 Castlevania DS games, and Eternal Darkness, but between re-releases and the virtual console on Wii U, a lot of those exclusive games I wanted I have.

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not an active collector, but I do have a an N64, GC and PS2 (including the legit network adapter, which I think is pretty uncommon in the Downunderverse), with a nice little library of games for these systems. I mostly just keep them for nostalgia and hopefully playing them with my daughter one day, but it's nice to know I could get a few extra grand together in a hurry if needed.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Only recently got into game collecting as I started originally only collecting Pokémon games and games from current gen and last that were delisted or never made digital then within the last month I've been on a spree of collecting for PS3 which is my favorite (even though it's terrible to use) console of all time.

It's definitely not bad compared to older system prices but between the amount of fake Pokémon copies and then the stupidly priced PS3 games for no reason it's starting to rack up.

At first I was like I'll never spend more then $40 for a Pokémon game and $20 on PS3 stuff but I'm in for way more then I originally expected at this point.

I completed the full Pokémon collection without cases but ended up selling it all together for a small profit and decided for those I want good condition games with boxes, cases and manuals. For PS3 I don't really care about the cases so I'll go diskless if it's cheaper.

I really wish Sony would just commit to BC in the way Microsoft is so older systems games come to the digital store on ps4 and ps5, i don't care if it takes longer or if the library isnt complete it's better then nothing and I see no way it wouldn't be profitable for Sony with the amount of users they have.

I want to start collecting for ps2 but I think the rabbit hole is just to deep for me already.

Last edited:

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
2014 may have been the last time i found retro game hunting fun

i could get off a night shift, hit up craigslist or garage sale listings on the weekends, and walk away with saturn games, sega hardware, occasional boxed SNES games etc for really fair prices.

this was all $30 from a couple that needed space for their in-laws

bagrMOO.jpg

this was $40, after a 45 minute trip up north - buyer only wanted $30 but had other people coming, i outbid them

wNGQWa0.jpg

there were so many like this - one dude leaving town took $45 for a boxed saturn, guardian heroes and like 3 other games. i bought a few working designs RPGs off a pawn shop out in arizona i found on a meta craigslist search, they only took money orders so i figured i'd be scammed. a few weeks later, bam, shining the holy ark for $30.
dude on retrocollect sold me elevator action returns for $35, but the bubble was already hitting and by the time it bounced from my address back to his, it was already up to $100. he honored the deal, thankfully.

so yeah, prices on nintendo stuff were already jumping at that point, and we were just starting to see certain sega & turbografx scenes hop up, but nowhere near as bad as it is now. prices now suck so hard, it's worth just going after an everdrive instead.

you know what's still fun? scenes that haven't jumped for being considered "retro" yet, like the PS2 was up till a year or two back. like, gamestop is already starting to dump some wii, ps3 & 360 games, it's a fine time to get those.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
2014 may have been the last time i found retro game hunting fun

i could get off a night shift, hit up craigslist or garage sale listings on the weekends, and walk away with saturn games, sega hardware, occasional boxed SNES games etc for really fair prices.

this was all $30 from a couple that needed space for their in-laws

bagrMOO.jpg

this was $40, after a 45 minute trip up north - buyer only wanted $30 but had other people coming, i outbid them

wNGQWa0.jpg

there were so many like this - one dude leaving town took $45 for a boxed saturn, guardian heroes and like 3 other games. i bought a few working designs RPGs off a pawn shop out in arizona i found on a meta craigslist search, they only took money orders so i figured i'd be scammed. a few weeks later, bam, shining the holy ark for $30.
dude on retrocollect sold me elevator action returns for $35, but the bubble was already hitting and by the time it bounced from my address back to his, it was already up to $100. he honored the deal, thankfully.

so yeah, prices on nintendo stuff were already jumping at that point, and we were just starting to see certain sega & turbografx scenes hop up, but nowhere near as bad as it is now. prices now suck so hard, it's worth just going after an everdrive instead.

you know what's still fun? scenes that haven't jumped for being considered "retro" yet, like the PS2 was up till a year or two back. like, gamestop is already starting to dump some wii, ps3 & 360 games, it's a fine time to get those.

Man that Sega Ages! Yeah it kinda sucks everyone knows what they have now. The days of going on eBay and seeing someone list a complete Snow Brothers or Metal Storm for $30 or under are long gone.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the GameCube stuff may creep down eventually. Either way some people will regret holding onto to stuff and some won't if that happens. I always buy stuff you personally want in your collection and not for the value. You'll just get fucked in the end regardless. Offloading a large collection at its "market" value is a time consuming process

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
What I'm not enjoying is buying current day limited item games. I prefer buying physical for Switch, but what I don't appreciate is a title popping up and basically being told "you must buy this now and by this date or else suffer the ebay prices". I can just about stomach that for vinyl only runs in music, as the shipping and base price tends not to kill me, but for games? That's harsh.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm not enjoying is buying current day limited item games. I prefer buying physical for Switch, but what I don't appreciate is a title popping up and basically being told "you must buy this now and by this date or else suffer the ebay prices". I can just about stomach that for vinyl only runs in music, as the shipping and base price tends not to kill me, but for games? That's harsh.
Are you referring to LRG titles or normal retail games?

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I only collect for handhelds as I'm more likely to actually play those but the prices have gone too high for me to justify. Even cart only is getting expensive. Although I did buy the GBC Harry Potter games at a reasonable price.

Some of the games I own have sky rocketed, eg if I sold four of the persona games I bought in the last decade I'd make a near £300 profit (golden is still sealed). However these are mostly the games I wouldn't part with and probably aren't even at their peak.

It's got me ordering 3DS, vita and various other games that I think may rise sharply. Last time I did that I got some that did increase...but mostly in USA, only a smaller rise here (eg. Solotorobo, Haunting ground).

I have thought of selling some of the games I care less about while prices are up (will I ever get money for PS1 sport games again?) but fortunately I'm not in need of the money so probably won't.
Or something like Crash 1 which is insanely high and I have the remake. Or GameCube games I'm never likely to play.

I have a feeling I'd regret it whatever happens, selling at all, selling low, or not selling high.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Are you referring to LRG titles or normal retail games?

The various limited game companies. I get this is their model, it just makes it incredibly difficult for me trying to buy things. I'm attempting to move house and all my money is going into that. I really wanted Podracer, but had to duck out of it. I missed out knowing about Divinity Original Sin by one day and these are sitting at £100-ish on eBay. My biggest hope, right now, is titles will appear in the Christmas sale this year. I can't do anything RE:Best Buy because they don't do international shipping. Just unfortunate.

I generally don't want to buy a game unless I have finished titles either, otherwise I just amass stocks of carts.

As I say, I'll quickly jump in and buy, say, an I Love Acid vinyl or something from Traumprinz, because I know these sell out in seconds and the Discogs market for them is unreal... but then I'm generally pumping out £15 at most sporadically. A game could be anything up to £50 once all the costs are factored in, and the indie game representation is plentiful, so I know there will always be something round the corner consistently.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I stopped trying to get retro games years ago not long after I got my Sega Saturn. I randomly decided to look up the North American release of Magic Knight Rayearth from Working Designs for Sega Saturn that I have sealed CIB, and woooo.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The various limited game companies. I get this is their model, it just makes it incredibly difficult for me trying to buy things. I'm attempting to move house and all my money is going into that. I really wanted Podracer, but had to duck out of it. I missed out knowing about Divinity Original Sin by one day and these are sitting at £100-ish on eBay. My biggest hope, right now, is titles will appear in the Christmas sale this year. I can't do anything RE:Best Buy because they don't do international shipping. Just unfortunate.

I generally don't want to buy a game unless I have finished titles either, otherwise I just amass stocks of carts.

As I say, I'll quickly jump in and buy, say, an I Love Acid vinyl or something from Traumprinz, because I know these sell out in seconds and the Discogs market for them is unreal... but then I'm generally pumping out £15 at most sporadically. A game could be anything up to £50 once all the costs are factored in, and the indie game representation is plentiful, so I know there will always be something round the corner consistently.
Yea those limited games aren't worth doing a full set for. I rarely buy them unless it's a game I want to have permanent physical access to. Most digital games I'd rather just download and play but there's some that I feel like could be delisted one day and so I prefer the physical route (star wars pinball). Also I don't trust Nintendo not to shut down switch servers one day 10 years from now

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Just looked up some sales on eBay (Europe) and Symphony of the Night is selling for more than Panzer Dragoon Saga. Might be time to sell my SOTN for PDS.