• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
fell_arm_abyssion___tov_by_anti_roxas_99_d1ssqlf-fullview.jpg

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Runes that boosted physical attack in Suikoden V. They should have made it such that you could only set one of each type of rune. You could set a physical party member with runes like Berserk and phys attack up and a few others...all at once.

The result is that every random encounter is over in one character's auto-attack, and all bosses die in 2-3 characters' auto-attacks without even half your team getting a turn much less the boss itself, save the final one.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Melia in Xenoblade Chronicles can stun lock enemies (and bosses) pretty much forever if you use certain ability's

You can make topple locking builds in Xenoblade but Melia won't have anything to do with them. She does get a guaranteed topple in the form of Spear Break->Starlight Kick and that does have some nifty applications but nothing compared to her landing a double lightning-buffed summon ice element burst from behind an enemy cluster with Chill Plus VI and Back Attack VI equipped. It's the highest damage output in the game aside from a max chain Sword Drive from Reyn.

Blah blah blah tidal wave
7-tov94_ss074966.jpg

A few hours of boredom for a playthrough of hilarity is a fantastic tradeoff

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There was a triple combo skill in Rogue Galaxy that would kill every regular enemy in one hit, without any cost.

I'm almost sure the game was rushed to release before FFXII. No other way for the balancing to be this bad.

The best case of this is in Ar tonelico 2

Yes... Is that series that have the famous innuendo video.

But talking about the battle system, you can have two Reyvatels, that are the game caster, but because of the game seatings they do it by singing, so every second they spend casting a song (singing) their MP decreases and the spell gets stronger.

The casting gauge is represented by a %. In the early game, they can get to a a few thousand before the MP depletes... By then end game to more or less 100.000%%

There is a character that gets a story related skill that canonically is overpower (it has the power to kill gods)... So that translates to having essentially a win button that gets the gauge to millions!. With no repercussions!

Even funnier is that you can get a overpower spell by completing a late game side quest. Use this spell + the mentioned skill and one shot even the final boss.

Seriously, see the damage your party members do in this video and then see the damage of the casters in the end. (Overpower skill activates by 1:27)

The craziest thing is how the english localization is so bad that the game freezes in one of the late game bosses every time after the 3rd turn, so you need this skill to defeat the boss before that.

And you'd think Ys VIII was Nisa's worst job.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
- Rei in Breath of Fire III has the Weretiger transformation, which has him dealing absolutely absurd physical damage, but the downside is that he may even attack your party members.

...unless you use the Influence spell on an enemy when he transforms. Then, Rei attacks only the enemy and you get all of the benefits and none of the negatives from the transformation. Makes the second half of the game a cakewalk combined with all of Ryu's transformations.

- Lloyd's Twin Tiger Blade -> Demon Fang infinite in Tales of Symphonia. Twin Tiger Blade knocks the enemy down, and Demon Fang hits OTG, so you can reasonably continue it until either Lloyd's out of TP or the enemy dies.

- Instead of being obtainable in the postgame like in Ruby and Sapphire, Pokemon Emerald lets you catch Rayquaza before the elite four, and it comes at level 70. You can literally solo the elite four and champion with it.

Please don't make posts with pictures that only some people understand. It's pretty frustrating.

Google leads me to believe it's a sword from Tales of Vesperia?
It's the protagonist's Ultimate Weapon from Tales of Vesperia. The way Ultimate Weapons work there is that their stats increase for every enemy killed by the character associated with the ultimate weapon they can obtain. By the time you get it in-game, assuming you've used Yuri from the beginning of the game, the sword does an obscene amount of damage by that point, and you don't really have any other reason to use any other weapon aside from maybe one or two.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Rapede's Gale Dog in Tales of Vesperia for the 360 (I think they nerfed it in later releases). The skill turns Rapede completely invincible for 5 seconds, which doesn't sounds like much, but you can just constantly recast it before the duration ends and be permanently invincible. Paired with the ring that makes every skill cost one TP it's just ridiculous.

My brother and I killed one of the giganto bosses (the giant bug in the desert) way, WAY before we were even told what those things are with just Raven and Rapede by using the invincibility at the right moment.

solidr

Oct 28, 2017
In star ocean 3, you legally can make weapons with 9999 atk in the first half of the game (you never obtain a weapon with that attack in all the game)
FF8 meltdown + aura combination is pretty broken
FFV a warrior with ninja and ranger mastered can attack 8x every turn

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
Firestorm in Demon's Souls. Almost one shots anything, stunlocks or knocks down smaller enemies. Doesn't work on Flamelurker tho.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Jew-jitsu in South Park: The Stick of Truth allows you to stun lock most trash mobs and even bosses

In fact SP: TSOT is a broken game.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Vanish + X-Zone in FF6 is a two hit instakill with 100% chance of success, bosses included

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
i'm glad yojimbo is a cheat mode, when i was getting platinum in ffx i was so bored and tired of the game by the time i got to penance i just fed my entire billion gil bank to yojimbo and cut god in half

ffx has tons of broken stuff though, like quick hit is stupidly powerful, rikku's mix is completely broken, summons in general completely trivialize most of the game

ffviii also seems like a game where all the systems are immediately broken
To Square's credit though, they created secret bosses that required you to know those game breaking techniques to beat them. Like Omega Weapon and Monster Areana monsters.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Power Rush in Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door.

This badge has the effect of increasing your attack power by 2 whenever you are at critical health (Dubbed "Danger" in the game, it happens when you have 5 or less health)

What makes it broken is...

1. You can set your starting health so you can always be in Danger Mode.
  2. You can equip an unlimited number of Power Rush badges (50 is very possible, resulting in +100 Attack).

This results in a build where you can deal an absurd amount of damage instantly, one shotting many of the games enemies and bosses even.

MeaslyOddballArgusfish-size_restricted.gif

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
In FFV: 1 Summoner, 3 Mimes (Or 4 if you have lvl 7 (Or 8?) Summon)
Cast Haste on the party, summon Bahamut, Mimic until the enemy does.
It at least works well on Neo X-Death.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Oh wait. It may not be the most powerful, but the Giga Sword in 3D dot game heroes is DEFINITELY the most absurd. The width and length typically exceed the size of the entire screen

pacroid.blogspot.com

That's a Big Fat Sword - Giga Sword Trophy

There is a trophy in 3 DDGH's for upgrading the most powerful sword in the game. Alot of sites give the vague remarks such has, "its gonn...

Nov 17, 2017
Pretty sure Melia in Xenoblade Chronicles can stun lock enemies (and bosses) pretty much forever if you use certain ability's
Melia is also the key to speed leveling because she can kill a particular set of super high level enemies by pushing them off a cliff.

She can reflect instant death attacks too.

Oh also Melia can inflict absurd amounts of DoT from poison. She does 51k damage per tick in this video

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
FFVI:
Setzer - Fixed Dice + Offering + Black Belt = x4 fixed dice rolls almost assuredly hitting on the high end of 5000-9999 for 2 of them, and repeats for any counter attack

Any magic user - Gem Box + Economizer + Ultima = guaranteed 19998 damage to all enemies on the field every turn

Locke - Genji Glove + Black Belt + Illumina + Valiant Knife = 16000 to 19998 damage each turn and repeats for any counter attack

Cyan (yes, the guy everyone calls weak or useless) - Sky Render + Red Cap + Genji Armor + Hyper Wrist + Hero Armlet = just using his level 4 sword art does 20k or more. Level 7 does double

Mog or Edgar - Aura Lance + Str equipment + Dragoon Boots + Dragon Horn = Jump hits anywhere between 2 to 4x for 7000 to 9999 each hit

It is ridiculously fun to break this game.

At the moment I'm playing Lightning Returns and the DLC weapons enable to me to take on the more difficult enemies earlier than I'm apparently supposed to at a decent pace:

Strength stacking items + Deprotect + Attack makes wailing on staggered enemies super satisfying

Magic stacking items + Summoner's Garb gives access to Elementa which completely smashes smaller enemies and makes for really exciting fights against minibosses that I wouldn't otherwise be able to beat.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Weapons
Crissagrim - Castlevania SOTN - hits about ten times faster than most other weapons. Roasts Dracula in about 15 seconds.
Ultima/Atma Weapon - FFVI - does damage based on current health, and coupled with the Offering, could roast most normal enemies and bosses
Chrono Trigger - Rainbow - 70% critical hit rate instantly made Crono a must have even when he wasn't required to be in the party
Chrono Trigger - Shiva Edge - 4x critical hit damage made this the only weapon in the game capable of max damage outside of the occasional lucky shot with Lucca's ultimate weapon

Abilities
Dragon Quest XI - Critical Claim - 100% critical hit chance, and made metal slime farming simple; coupled with divide, would give him the ability to single-handedly demolish most parties
Dragon Quest VIII - Thin Air - while this was a regular ability in DQ games, in VIII it didn't cost any MP and was powerful enough to wipe most low-level groups, while still managing to be somewhat effective against later enemies
Final Fantasy V - GPToss - This Samurai ability was easily abusable if you had the money to use it. Makes the final boss into easy mode.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The Pickpocketing skill in Star Ocean 2, which lets you steal items from every NPC in the game. Such items include ultimate-level equipment obtainable in the first half of the game from pickpocketing your own party members or characters only present in a single scene.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone mentions Orlandu but no one mentions how calculators (edit: or mages with calculate, rather) can nuke the entire field solo literally without moving
Because Calculators are the most advanced Job in the game, whereas Orlandu is just handed to you for free.

Like, I see a lot of posts in here about things that are "use X, Y and Z endgame max level gear/skill/classes" and thinking "yeah, that's just using the highest level stuff and they synergize well." That's not broken, IMO, that's game design rewarding endgame players who've done their homework. Compared to nonsense like FF8 Tent/HP Junction or Vanish+Doom which seem more like literal "the developers fucked this up."

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
Rapede's Gale Dog in Tales of Vesperia for the 360 (I think they nerfed it in later releases). The skill turns Rapede completely invincible for 5 seconds, which doesn't sounds like much, but you can just constantly recast it before the duration ends and be permanently invincible. Paired with the ring that makes every skill cost one TP it's just ridiculous.

My brother and I killed one of the giganto bosses (the giant bug in the desert) way, WAY before we were even told what those things are with just Raven and Rapede by using the invincibility at the right moment.
This has to be it. You get Gale Dog early, it doesn't cost a lot to use, and it makes you completely invincible.
You only need a magic recovery accessory that gives you more magic than you use up, and you can buy that in shops. It's crazy.

Even better:
In the original X360 Vesperia, a skill made Estelle's invincibility spell last the entire battle.
IT MADE LOSING IMPOSSIBLE.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Because Calculators are the most advanced Job in the game, whereas Orlandu is just handed to you for free.

Like, I see a lot of posts in here about things that are "use X, Y and Z endgame max level gear/skill/classes" and thinking "yeah, that's just using the highest level stuff and they synergize well." That's not broken, IMO, that's game design rewarding endgame players who've done their homework. Compared to nonsense like FF8 Tent/HP Junction or Vanish+Doom which seem more like literal "the developers fucked this up."

Calculators aren't the most advanced job class. Had to google it (i have not played this game in forever) but it requires the priest, wizard, time mage, and oracle class to access.

All of these can be gotten fairly early.

A mage with calculate can potentially hit every target on the board with their strongest spells, with zero charge time and zero MP cost. They are stupidly broken and vastly more powerful than Orlandu is.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I've only played through 1 mainline FF game and that was FF3 DS.
I remember that the only way to consistently do 9999 damage was to be a ninja and throw a shuriken. So if you just got 3 ninjas and a healer (and a bunch of shuriken), you could down any boss pretty much.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy V - Rod breaking. Purchase an elemental rod, then break it in the battle to do some massive damage. Easily breaks first half of the game.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Dinoceros in Ni No Kuni. Get a couple of those and spend 30 mins farming Tokotokos for XP and combat for the rest of the game becomes game-breakingly easy.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Relm Glitch in Final Fantasy VI.
It happened by chance when I was playing. Next thing I know, everyone fighting with Paladin Shields and Illuminas.

Other than that: Quina Level5Death + This guy in Final Fantasy IX

img-819751-1-FFIX_Poison_Claw.png

Quick level up to 99 for everyone.

Fauve

Oct 28, 2017
Tried to think of something for Tales of Destiny but can't. What else 🤔

The Flash accessory was gamebreaking in the original before the DC nerfed it hard. Besides that, the Edge (Doubles damage that you give AND receive) accessory is broken because you can equip it when comboing an enemy/boss and then unequip it when your combo ends to avoid the drawback.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Calculators aren't the most advanced job class. Had to google it (i have not played this game in forever) but it requires the priest, wizard, time mage, and oracle class to access.

All of these can be gotten fairly early.

A mage with calculate can potentially hit every target on the board with their strongest spells, with zero charge time and zero MP cost. They are stupidly broken and vastly more powerful than Orlandu is.

The problem with calculator is that unless you read a guide or have already played the game you won't know it exists in the first place and it's requirements. And 4 jobs requirements IS fairly advanced.

In a average first playthrough the player only will get a calculator in late game (and only IF they like to re-job), since he will have to level 4 specific jobs, and I ain't considering that they will spend some time in jobs like summoner that many first time players love. And to do the broken stuff you have to think (or read a guide).

This means that many players won't ever use it. And the designers clearly intended to be this way, this job is more for the fans who like to do more in depth strategies.

Now.. Orlandu, it's a fixed recruit that the game clearly hypes to be powerful, so almost every player have the chance to use it

Edit: I agree with you that a calculator is more game breaking. My post is talking about why many people don't talk about it.

Last edited:

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
If action JRPGs count, it's ironic that in Guardian Heroes, Nicole's shield spell is the strongest offensive ability in the game (by far). Simply trap the enemies in a corner and go to work:

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I remember doing the spell summon thing in FF8 for Curaga early game and going from like 200 hp to 3000+hp immediately. Stayed very low lvl most of the game with how broken the system became.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The problem with calculator is that unless you read a guide or have already played the game you won't know it exists in the first place and it's requirements. And 4 jobs requirements IS fairly advanced.

In a average first playthrough the player only will get a calculator in late game (and only IF they like to re-job), since he will have to level 4 specific jobs, and I ain't considering that they will spend some time in jobs like summoner that many first time players love. And to do the broken stuff you have to think (or read a guide).

This means that many players won't ever use it. And the designers clearly intended to be this way, this job is more for the fans who like to do more in depth strategies.

Now.. Orlandu, it's a fixed recruit that the game clearly hypes to be powerful, so almost every player have the chance to use it

I get that, but nearly everything in this thread is weirdly obscure stuff that wouldn't be found without a guide, or multiple playthroughs.

Vanish/X-zone in particular was cited as a better example than the calculator, but 99% of all players wouldn't think to exploit this bug.

The point of the comment is that T.G. Cid is routinely cited as an overpowered character, but in actual gameplay he's nowhere close as insanely broken as the Calculator is, and everyone in this thread who has played the game knows what calculators are.

They are not the most advanced class (that would either be the mime in the base game, or the Dark Knight in WOTL) but they ARE the most powerful by a mile. Even with 4 classes, you can have several of them before you get Cid in the game, not that you'd need several because one alone breaks the game.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Another example is Fe4

In the story your MC is a badass general who descends from one of the heroes of the past.

This translates in the gameplay... Because your MC is one of the most broken units of the game. It's actually EASIER to just bench everyone and let him decimate the battlefield. When you have you gain his special weapon... The game just stops pretending to have a balance in this act

In the second act of the game, you play with a new MC... His story is kinda harder in the begining, but he is still able to solo levels.

Heck, this is the first game with eugenics mechanics. So if you read a guide you can have multiples characters that are able to solo armies.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
FFVI: "Wind God Gau"

Equip Gau with the Merit Award (allows characters to equip all weapon types) and the Offering (makes character attack 4x for half damage each hit), and then with the Tempest (katana that has a 50% chance of casting Wind Slash, a party wide wind attack, on hit). Use the Stray Cat Rage, which causes him to use "Cat Scratch" about half the time, which is basically a normal attack at 4x power.

And then just wait until Gau auto kills the enemy party for you.

Doesn't work in versions past the original SNES version because the don't let Gau equip the Merit Award in later versions, likely because of this specific strategy.