• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
God damn, that's a depressing final lineup. 2020 was a better year for games than that, wasn't it?
Hmm, that's a generally great lineup though? There are things I would have personally preferred in or out, but those are all well loved games on that list for good reason.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I don't think this is entirely true. Hades has 8 nominations, second most total, which means it legitimately is being seeing as more than just "token indie game". Ori probably would be 7th of the GOTY nominations too.
like i said it's not un heard of to give an indie respect once in a while but most of the other candidates are big title games

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Rigging the vote isn't what I was expecting when I read the thread title. I expected this to be about hackers finding the new game trailers and leaking them or something.

AwwBubbles

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone plz tell Rudy Guliani we have clear evidence of vote tampering?
tenor.gif

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
This was probably the work of one individual rather than multiple people like the OP suggest, and far more likely done to just get a rise out of others rather than the fact they couldn't stand the result. The upset on display in this thread probably put a huge smile on their face.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This was probably the work of one individual rather than multiple people like the OP suggest, and far more likely done to just get a rise out of others rather than the fact they couldn't stand the result. The upset on display in this thread probably put a huge smile on their face.

I mean the upset in this thread basically amounted to "how stupid and immature of them." Which is true regardless. Not like many went into any kind of frenzy lol.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Way funnier than TLoU2 just winning outright. Why I want it to sweep more than anything, the meltdowns will be amazing.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it also has gotten people to now vote for TLOU2. So if that was their goal...

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Ghosts of Tsushima winning game of the year would be the saddest shit ever, that would be like 2014 levels of barely any noteworthy games.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I want to see TLOU2 win solely to see how upset it makes some of these far right youtubers.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I love how 3/5 of the games are ps exclusives and are made by the trifecta Naughty Dog, Insomniac Games, and Sucker Punch!

Last edited:

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Yeah I'm with you 100%

Would you agree that Abby's sequences felt more diverse and "in the moment?"

I felt they were better designed in general because it felt like the narrative was more of an active element than that fetch quest vibe we agree on.
I think Abby's side had some more memorable sequences and set-pieces, like with the scyscrapers, the hospital, or the burning village at the end. Like mini-narratives through gameplay. Ellie's side is more of a blur I have trouble remembering as it felt very samey and only in service of a static goal.

Still, with Abby there were some fetch quest motivations with having to fetch a surgical kit all across town, or fetching Lev from the village (though that was character driven on his part). I wish the game had more character choices throughout, or more of the side characters having an impact on the story as some were quite interesting.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Actually fair point.

Yeah I just can't even comprehend hating something for such a dumb reason lol. I can't even comprehend hating something in such a way that I'd want to spend MORE time focused on it. People are very strange these days..
That is not even the worst of it, people were hating on it because of Abby who for some delusional reason called a trans man because according to them women can't have muscles

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
It must feel damn good for Sony seeing its original trinity of first party devs (ND, Insomniac, and Sucker Punch) all in the GOTY running. What a legacy.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Its odd how many of these guys attached themselves to Ghost of Tsushima just to spite TLOU. It makes you wonder how many in the community genuinely like the game (like myself) vs how many are using it as a pawn to spite Naughty Dog.
Is just like how many of them became "fans" of Alita just because they needed an excuse to hate on Captain Marvel without looking like a blatant misogynistic

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I think Abby's side had some more memorable sequences and set-pieces, like with the scyscrapers, the hospital, or the burning village at the end. Like mini-narratives through gameplay. Ellie's side is more of a blur I have trouble remembering as it felt very samey and only in service of a static goal.

Still, with Abby there were some fetch quest motivations with having to fetch a surgical kit all across town, or fetching Lev from the village (though that was character driven on his part). I wish the game had more character choices throughout, or more of the side characters having an impact on the story as some were quite interesting.
First paragraph: agreed, especially with that gameplay diversity on display.

Second:
Do you think it would have been a better game pacing wise if it was more linear?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I really don't understand the hype for GoT. It's good; it's not amazing. Competent but rather trite in the gameplay and story department. Great artwork, less than stellar animation. To me it just felt so pedestrian.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think it's worth clarifying that this poll doesn't determine overall GOTY at the show - that's still mostly decided by a critics panel. This one's just a fan bracket that mostly exists to get fanbases engaged with the show (last year Fire Emblem won as a protest vote against it not getting a GOTY nom).

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Near the end of voting when this started,through Chrome,the whole site just froze for me and I had a hard time closing my Browser,it just froze my PC like if I had a memory leak or something...went back later to see if my votes registered and they did,never went back since...so maybe its not a hack...***shrugs***

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand the hype for GoT. It's good; it's not amazing. Competent but rather trite in the gameplay and story department. Great artwork, less than stellar animation. To me it just felt so pedestrian.
The raw gameplay was the best thing about it right behind the art style.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, that's a generally great lineup though? There are things I would have personally preferred in or out, but those are all well loved games on that list for good reason.
Those are all games that were already up for GOTY. Last year's vote featured finalists, and a winner, that were largely shut out of other categories.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Also Gamer shit heads trying to pit TLOU and GoT against each other is giving me serious Captain Marvel vs Alita Battle Angel "fandom war" vibes XD

Even down to SIE/Disney owning both IPs

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That is not even the worst of it, people were hating on it because of Abby who for some delusional reason called a trans man because according to them women can't have muscles

Yeah before launch people were being transphobic to a character that is not even trans, crazy times.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Of the year's eligible mediocre open world action adventure games - it's a hair more interesting than Valhalla and Watch Dogs. And Cyberpunk's delay left an opening in a lot of people's ballots.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Speaking personally, it has a specific vision. It feels so intentional and intended. It's the game I have wanted since Uncharted 3 since 2011 and that comes down to what ultimately feels seamless. It's got issues, especially with gameplay diversity and loop(which can be addressed) but its one of the best damn 1st installments I've played all gen.

The gameplay is kinetic and visceral in a way thats satisfying. The presentation checks all those boxes I have wanted for so long.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Those are all games that were already up for GOTY. Last year's vote featured finalists, and a winner, that were largely shut out of other categories.

The final player's voice last year also had smash and death stranding which were also up for GOTY though?

I agree it would be more interesting to just take out the GOTY nominees, but it kind of goes against the spirit of the "player's voice" award if you took out certain games.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Also Gamer shit heads trying to pit TLOU and GoT against each other is giving me serious Captain Marvel vs Alita Battle Angel "fandom war" vibes XD

Even down to SIE/Disney owning both IPs
The bizzare thing is, alt-right idiots rallying behind Alita at least made some sense as a 'political statement' by rallying around a female action film that they interpreted as being less feminist than Captain Marvel.

Ghost of Tsushima seems to have caught on as the 'anti-TLOU' simply because it's ALSO a PlayStation exclusive. For all of their political posturing, they're still adherant to brand loyalty above making a coherent point.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Checks the top 2...

Sony right now:
COUNT THE VOTES!

also Sony right now:
STOP THE COUNT!

Status
Not open for further replies.