• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Thanks. We can't always give you everything you want. I thought it was pretty cool to reveal the new Xbox and the first PS5 game. Ultimately we can only reveal what's offered to us by the game companies and what's in development. A bunch of stuff rumored was never even on the table for the show, like that supposed Batman game. Lots of bad rumors out there!

I can understand that, especially as we head into nextgen.

One recommendation I'd have, if possible, would be to seek out or accept a wider spread of advertising partners.

I'm sure it's definitely not easy behind the scenes and from a business perspective, and that you have to take money from those who offer it, but from an end-user perspective, it's incredibly draining to have to sit through the same three or four ads each "commercial break", especially as they get more prevalent towards the end of the show.

I found my attention drawn to my Switch more and more with each consecutive ad break, cursing Magic: The Gathering to just leave me alone.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks. We can't always give you everything you want. I thought it was pretty cool to reveal the new Xbox and the first PS5 game. Ultimately we can only reveal what's offered to us by the game companies and what's in development. A bunch of stuff rumored was never even on the table for the show, like that supposed Batman game. Lots of bad rumors out there!
I loved the show. Please keep it up. You're doing amazing.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah great move for xbox. I've already seen people at work who dont watch any xbox related shows, talk about the series x.
Dumb move for Nintendo if they have a January direct and show things in there that they could have shown to a much larger audience. Smash bros character just being 1 of those things.
Smash DLC is the last thing that needed to be shown, it's the last DLC of a season pass that most people who want have already bought and the game itself has sold over 16m copies. Smash has no problem getting hella attention at whenever it's shown.

Ideal Nintendo reveals would've been BotW2, a new 2D Metroid, Bayo 3/SMT5 rereveal etc.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly couldn't be happier for Geoff. It's fun to joke around with the show sometimes on the boards, but he genuinely cares and loves about gaming so much. Seems like just an overall good dude. Way to go Geoff, can't wait for next year's show.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, crazy bump. I enjoyed the show, feels like it has grown quite a bit from that initial year.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Smash DLC is the last thing that needed to be shown, it's the last DLC of a season pass that most people who want have already bought and the game itself has sold over 16m copies. Smash has no problem getting hella attention at whenever it's shown.

Ideal Nintendo reveals would've been BotW2, a new 2D Metroid, Bayo 3/SMT5 rereveal etc.

Wouldn't that be on Atlus? Same with Bayonetta that would be more on Platinum.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, what I like most about the show is how genuinely passionate Geoff seems about it. Was pleasantly surprised to see the Series X reveal. Looking forward to next year!

Oct 31, 2017
That's how much people wanted to see Kojima win GOTY and say F Konami.

cyb0zdp4wn201.jpg

Fuck the Oscars!
I'm glad I wasn't drinking when I reached this reply.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Keep up the great work and congrats on your success.
The way the show has evolved from it's initial airings is crazy...and it doesn't seem like it's stopping anytime soon.

Considering it was an off year just because the release of new system it was a solid showcase - you can't please people that will hype themselves for weeks beyond saving based on rumors or wishes.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
And we had some of the 'genius' armchair marketers on here telling us MS shouldn't have revealed the Series X here.

Nov 15, 2018

I agree about all those titles being shown. 1 thing about smash bros though is to remind everyone that another fighters pass is coming, meaning they could have revealed 2 characters like they did at e3, as both characters should be out before June 2020.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Great to see the show keep growing!

Hopefully certain publishers *cough* Nintendo *cough* realize the benefit of bringing big announcements here next year!

You do know Nintendo always have a direct in January, right? So they can't really put all the big things at VGA

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree about all those titles being shown. 1 thing about smash bros though is to remind everyone that another fighters pass is coming, meaning they could have revealed 2 characters like they did at e3, as both characters should be out before June 2020.
Correction but, they only said more fighter will come, they NEVER said another season pass is on the way, it could be 2 more fighters for all we know. People assume they announce more fighters automatically mean another season pass, but we did get pirhana plant out of the season pass

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
I can understand that, especially as we head into nextgen.

One recommendation I'd have, if possible, would be to seek out or accept a wider spread of advertising partners.

I'm sure it's definitely not easy behind the scenes and from a business perspective, and that you have to take money from those who offer it, but from an end-user perspective, it's incredibly draining to have to sit through the same three or four ads each "commercial break", especially as they get more prevalent towards the end of the show.

I found my attention drawn to my Switch more and more with each consecutive ad break, cursing Magic: The Gathering to just leave me alone.

As we grow up we are able to be a little more selective on this front -- and appreciate the comments.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TGAs were pretty disappointing this year but I'll always watch because I care about this industry and seeing people get their due. I just felt like the announcements weren't very big for an event that people were starting to put above Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show.

Also, I can't believe how flippant they are about major awards. These major awards shouldn't be getting shuffled off with a mention or in the preshow imo.

Finally, they need new people judging esports and content creation. To this day even shroud super fans I know don't understand why shroud got content creator of the year. He hasn't done anything of note other than what he's always done.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think anyone can deny revealing the console there makes a ton of sense. And they will have eyes on them again next year. Even as someone not into MS games they got me super excited for next gen

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
As we grow up we are able to be a little more selective on this front -- and appreciate the comments.

Thanks for the response, Geoff. It does mean quite a lot that you're willing to go out and talk with people like this.

With viewer numbers like those, I'm sure the advertisers will be knocking on your door.

Also, one other suggestion - with Doom Eternal coming out next year, it'd be a perfect excuse to bring Mick Gordon back again. :)

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine the kind of reveals we are gonna get next year? Everyone and their mom are gonna have Geoff on speed dial now based on these numbers.
I mean last year had amazing numbers too.
What people reveal has several factors at play, not just numbers. As shown by this year.

however, I will say since next gen will have started by TGA 2020, that may be a factor that will make some publishers promote things they literally can't talk about yet without spoiling new xbox or playstation console features.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for the response, Geoff. It does mean quite a lot that you're willing to go out and talk with people like this.

With viewer numbers like those, I'm sure the advertisers will be knocking on your door.

Also, one other suggestion - with Doom Eternal coming out next year, it'd be a perfect excuse to bring Mick Gordon back again. :)

Agreed. We had talked about doing something with Mick this year but the game slipped. Would be cool to do in 2020 if we can find the right angle!

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
The show felt more buttoned-up (and therefore more like other major award shows) than it has in past years. I like that. It's still weird to see so many awards being announced off-handedly and its unfortunate that my primary reason for watching was for announcements rather than the awards themselves (nevermind the fact that my desired announcements weren't made). Regardless, I appreciate the fact that the medium has a unified institution that is in charge of gathering a consensus.

In the future, I'd like to see the voting body broaden a bit. There are all manner of Critics' Choice awards out there, and there are some award shows that are fueled almost entirely by fan voting. I appreciate the fact that The Game Awards are a blend of both, weighted in favor of the former. I think that's good. What I'd like to see, however, is the inclusion of developers. I know that there would concern about stealing some of DICE's thunder, but I think it's weird that the only people involved in games that don't vote on these awards are the ones with the most intimate knowledge of them. Actors typically get a say in who they think the best actor is in any given year; it makes sense for, say, game writers, to have a significant say in what the best story of the year is. There's already a wide gulf between what critics enjoy and what fans enjoy-- instituting a developer voting pool would widen the net and allow an ever wider variety of games to be recognized.

In short, this was probably the best the show has been, but there's always room for improvement. All in all, the ratings reflect the improvement in quality. It's also fun to notice that TGA has a better track record on grand prize recipients than other industry awards show.

Last edited:

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Not that I ever paid much attention to GameXplain, but their bizarre reaction to the Xbox reveal will make me pay even less attention to them. They're clueless.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
wow amazing great job GK... it seems that the industry is growing big time which is just good for everyone all around

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
There it is!

Even more confused on why Nintendo pretty much no-showed. I understand Sony and Microsoft [from a software standpoint] but their systems are on their way out, however the fact that the Switch is the complete opposite, in its prime is exactly why something should of be shown.

DrScissorsMD

Banned
Jan 19, 2019
I doubt the 45 million viewers were concurrent.
Lmao so what. That's still potentially 45 million pairs of eyes on their new console. Given that figure includes views of the recorded show after it had finished it's a safe bet a good chunk of those would've been people coming to watch the console reveal after hearing about it. Take the L
Honk honk

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was the best outing i have seen. At least time/content-wise. It wasn't too overly long and had a nice flow. With next-gen releasing next year i can only assume announcements will be more diverse due to developers holding back their content for big events. A small criticism would be that half of the content felt like generic fantasy MMOs. I can't even remember which trailer was which when talking about the Magic, LoL and D&D games.

Also i can only imagine how much was payed for the entire Fast & Furious segments which just felt like a giant ad. I hope coming years the event will be big enough to just have big industry icons handing out GOTY awards like it should be. Finishing the show with that really bad looking game left a slight sour taste, but i guess that is money for you.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I was genuinely impressed with the balance between the awards themselves and the video game teasers. Unlike other award shows which sell movies/music/tv through accolades, gaming has to deliver a "hook" to retain viewership and drum up attention (I.e. game reveals ). This cheapens the ceremony and has in the past felt a bit off putting.

BUT, with that said, my criticism was squashed this year. It felt bigger, it felt under control and reverent, and there wasn't that final game marketing/teaser after the final award. Gaming seems to be growing up and Geoff is definitely moving that forward. Congrats to everyone involved.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the 45 million viewers were concurrent.

What does concurrent viewers have to do with anything? That is still 45 million viewers, whether it was live or not who watched TGAs and the Xbox reveal.

Also congrats once again Geoff Keighley , I've been watching your content since the G4TV.com days. It's been amazing seeing your progress over the years.