• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I probably wouldn't have bothered watching any of it without the incentive from Warframe. What I did say just reaffirmed my feelings that it's less about the awards and recognizing actual achievements in the industry and more about reveals and advertising. Good for the folks behind it I guess, that's a huge uptick in viewership, but I won't be back for this show.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think these figures are complete bullshit. The twitch stream didn't go beyond 400K viewers.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
^^^ Very cool about how they kept it under wraps. That was the most impressive thing.

The show itself felt too long, and the ads between ads with commercial breaks was a bit grating when there were genuinely good things like the musical performances, the muppets, and the actual awards. They should have focused more on each GOTY nominee, for instance, and had more time for actual human beings to talk rather then get rushed off after they got their statue.

And this is why Microsoft did what they did
Yeah, it seems to be a good bet even though I personally felt like it got a little lost in the sea of other advertisements. Then again, it DID open with the buttery voice of Alan Watts, and that Hellblade trailer really did some magic.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think these figures are complete bullshit. The twitch stream didn't go beyond 400K viewers.
How do you get ad buyers for the next show if you can't verify these sorts of numbers? I would think faking them could put you in some serious legal jeopardy down the line.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Happy for Geoff and everyone involved that it's become such a success. I'm not a fan of the amount of advertising and lack of stage award acceptances, but I understand funding needs to come from somewhere. At the end of the day I'm glad an event like this exists.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved, had a great time watching it.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I only put the stream on since valve offered free games/index kit for watching it there, then went to work as soon as I got it running lol

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The VGAs have come an extraordinary long way from when they began.

Certainly there is still room for improvement, but major props to Geoff and everyone involved for continuing to build upon each year. Congratulations

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was definitely one of the worst Game Awards. It kept getting better every year then fell off this year.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This TGA was solid to be honest. Its as much as we could have expected at the end of a generation.

The only disappointment for me was lack of Batman, it seemed like this was the only place to show it if it was gonna show up this year. But that's not Geoff's fault.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
TV networks have tried, we aren't interested in that. This is a global show. I'd rather stream it live and free around the world.

I know people give you crap about the ads, but kudos on all the success and growth on this show. A console being revealed at it has to be some vindication for you and all the people that work to make the show happen.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
And Nintedno squandered the opportunity with basically nothing to show first party.

Weird choice. Bad choice imo

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
I know people give you crap about the ads, but kudos on all the success and growth on this show. A console being revealed at it has to be some vindication for you and all the people that work to make the show happen.

Thanks. We can't always give you everything you want. I thought it was pretty cool to reveal the new Xbox and the first PS5 game. Ultimately we can only reveal what's offered to us by the game companies and what's in development. A bunch of stuff rumored was never even on the table for the show, like that supposed Batman game. Lots of bad rumors out there!

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Good for him. Great stuff. I know it is easier said than done but a few more high profile reveals a bit more spread out and a bit less ads and this show will be perfect. Also, Axe the pre show. create a show with everything in it. We don't need stuff as high profile as VIIRemake in the pre show just to get viewers at the start. IMO of course.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

There's more to streaming than just Twitch. For instance Twitch isn't available in China. Also, the 400k viewers don't include people restreaming the awards either anyway.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
42 million? That's wild.

GameXplain out here looking like clowns for criticizing Microsoft for revealing their next gen system at the Game Awards.

That has to be at least 10 times the amount of viewers for an E3 broadcast.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
There's more to streaming than just Twitch. For instance Twitch isn't available in China. Also, the 400k viewers don't include people restreaming the awards either anyway.

giphy.gif

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Had fun watching the show, good job to Geoff and everyone working on this every year.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I really like VGA and it's just getting better and better (well exept that Fares didn't represent Sweden this year). Congratulations to Geoff and the team. We're rooting 4 you.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I don't know why but I assumed the game awards got like, 1 or 2 million. 45 million is incredible. I had no idea there were so many people actually tuned in to the gaming scene.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks. We can't always give you everything you want. I thought it was pretty cool to reveal the new Xbox and the first PS5 game. Ultimately we can only reveal what's offered to us by the game companies and what's in development. A bunch of stuff rumored was never even on the table for the show, like that supposed Batman game. Lots of bad rumors out there!

Hey, the bad rumours only help your numbers. I get that it can lead to dissatisfaction with some of the audience...but they'll tune in next year when the next round of rumours start.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Would it be possible to get a further breakdown of where the most views are coming from? Genuinely curious.

Eitherway, congrats on the show. I really could do without the fast and furious ad stuffed right in front of the Game of the Year announcement though.

I think we all wished that Vin announced a game like Escape from Butcher Bay :/. I was more embarrassed for Michelle Rodriguez and her pronunciation of Tekken.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
GameXplain out here looking like clowns for criticizing Microsoft for revealing their next gen system at the Game Awards.

As I recall, we criticized the reveal itself in conjunction with the choice of venue, not the venue itself.

I don't think the TGA's viewership alone tells us much of anything about the reveal's level of success.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I recall, we criticized the reveal itself in conjunction with the choice of venue, not the venue itself.

I don't think the TGA's viewership alone tells us anything about the reveal's level of success.
Look I like you guys (youtube subscriber for 3 years), but can you just admit you were wrong? It's literally the best possible place they could have announced it - especially now that we have statistical data showing there were 45 million eyeballs who saw their advertisement.

Why else do companies pay broadcasting rights for Super Bowl commercials in the millions of dollars.

We bigger than the Oscars now ladies and gents.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Look I like you guys (youtube subscriber for 3 years), but can you just admit you were wrong? It's literally the best possible place they could have announced it - especially now that we have statistical data showing there were 45 million eyeballs who saw their advertisement.

I doubt the 45 million viewers were concurrent.

Nov 15, 2018
Yeah great move for xbox. I've already seen people at work who dont watch any xbox related shows, talk about the series x.
Dumb move for Nintendo if they have a January direct and show things in there that they could have shown to a much larger audience. Smash bros character just being 1 of those things.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine the kind of reveals we are gonna get next year? Everyone and their mom are gonna have Geoff on speed dial now based on these numbers.