• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I think having Reggie there helped fuel the increase, Nintendo fans including me expecting a few more tidbits for MP4, BOTW2, etc.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Geoff created a fantastic show this year. And he got the new xbox exclusive!

It's a shame the Alyx demo fell through, it should have ended on that.

The negative posts on this forum talking shit during the broadcast were embarrassing.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations to Geoff and the entire production staff behind these awards.

This is about the closest thing Gaming has to it's Oscars and it's great to see the strides made in just a few years.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but 45 million people watched! For at least a second!

Why single out Nintendo and not the dozens of others who weren't there? Nintendo didn't need to bring anything, they're the hottest stuff on the market currently.
Because I cared about what Nintendo could've announced the most lol

MS at least brought their next whole ass console, and Sony a big look at one one of their biggest games next year and a PS5 game reveal.

Nintendo's history with the Game Awards also has been way better.

Ixzion

Nov 7, 2017
Happy for the increase, but the show started well and petered out after the first hour for me.

Why was Industry Icon segment cut out? Why were there SO many fucking commercials and the awards were an afterthought? I love the world premieres, but why were SO MANY of them boring and generic shoot-a-thons?

It feels like the show is starting a dangerous backslide to the Spike VGAs. In years past, despite its faults, I have bragged to other people that gamers finally had a show that respected us and the industry. After this show, I'm not as steadfast in that.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Geoff and his team, but honestly it didn't end up being worth 3 hours of my life.
If it keeps the same format next year, I might bypass it entirely and watch results/ trailers the next morning.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the TODD & AARON 2019 GAME AWARDS will have such an increase in popularity as well!

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's how much people wanted to see Kojima win GOTY and say F Konami.

Jesus. Just for reference, the Oscars had 30 million.

cyb0zdp4wn201.jpg

Fuck the Oscars!

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I watched it last year and I didnt this time. I guess I better not watch next year as well so it sets a new record

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the focus with Nintendo ? Plenty of big players didn't go all out in terms of announcements...next year is a big year for the whole industry and publishers are optimizing their marketing roll out.

Nintendo already had their well established Holiday lineup - there was no need to go all out when momentum is already on their side....they are gonna need those reveals next year when the next-gen dance starts.

I told you guys that current Nintendo isn't desperate WiiU Nintendo and BotW sequel won't be a TGA because that's a card they would want to play at a later time. Same way Sony and MS still have a lot of shit to unveil.
Ok 🙄

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
45 million people watched for a Smash reveal and left disappointed! In all seriousness, this was my first year watching TGA and the beginning was great but i got a bit bored towards the end. Like many are saying, that has a lot to do with where we are in the console cycle. I have a feeling that it's going to be insane next year with next-gen consoles launching a month before.

Oct 25, 2017
This surprises me. I stopped watching a few editions ago when it was clear I'd never get enough value out of the show to make up for the padding, and I'm not sure where the audience intake to replace the natural attrition is coming from, although perhaps I underestimated the draw of new announcements along a console generation boundary. Well targeted by Microsoft, I guess.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Very nice! I hope it'll encourage more to spread their reveals out and break away from dumping everything on E3.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Maybe the Oscars can learn have the show more available to watch. Live-streaming would make it easier for a lot of people.
Absolutely. The reason the show is easily breaking these records is because it's exceedingly easy to watch. It's on every platform, on pretty much every device (don't think there was any way to watch on Switch).

Forcing audiences to either figure out a local antenna or pay $35/mo for a streaming service (or God knows how much for cable) with live channels is a complete deal breaker. These shows work on word of mouth - you see people talking, and decide to tune in. Any hurdle is going to lose those viewers.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
Great progress gaming media have come to.

I wonder how many were sway by sop to watch ghost trailer?

This might be off topic but would you think sony would not tease tga if series x was told to be annouce there too? It's like sony build up the hype just for ms to use it against them or something.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
The Variety piece has some interesting tidbits:
The ceremony had a peak concurrency of over 7.5 million global viewers, according to The Game Awards' release, including more than 2 million concurrent viewers across Twitch and YouTube. Additionally, online authenticated fan voting increased 50% year-over-year to more than 15.5 million logged-in votes.
In addition to handing out honors for the past year in games, this year's show juggled musical performers like Green Day and Grimes with trailer premieres and industry announcements — like this year's biggest, the reveal of Microsoft's next-generation Xbox (an announcement that was kept so secret, Keighley says, that Xbox head Phil Spencer read a phony script about Xbox Game Pass during rehearsals).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hype was up the rooftop, even though the biggest megaton wasn't even leaked. And it was even at a shit time for Europeans on a Thursday. Well-deserved success, the show had its issues but it was worth tuning in.

grassblade

Oct 27, 2017
How many of those were autoplaying on a bunch of game wiki sites though? Live streaming viewer counts are basically useless

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft decision's to show the next Xbox in this show seems more intelligent than ever now that we have the vievership numbers. Good on them.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
This year was the best TGA yet. It was faster paced, less awkward, more funny (Untitled Beaker Game was amazing), and the reveals were even more unexpected.

Great job Geoff and the crew. You deserve to be hosting the biggest night in gaming.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well deserved. While I thought the show was lesser this year from an announcement standpoint(or majority of games that didn't really speak to me personally at least), I think the structure and pacing of the show was still pretty good. A smart decision from Microsoft to announce their next console there.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
I'm worried that this was because of last year's awesome show, and with how this year's show turned out, the numbers might dip back down. Regardless, that's still a lot of viewers.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
It was a lame show as far as reveals go. More card games and free to play trailers more than anything.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Before the show, I humored myself for a brief moment on whether MS would reveal their new console. I quickly dismissed the idea thinking it would be too soon...

I guess my gut feeling was right. Definitely smart to show it.

Nintendo really missed a big opportunity to show something new. To be fair, they did have a lot of ads though

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Happy and hoping it's a little tighter next year. If this is for the creators and gamers then it should be 1:30-2 hours tops

Keep up the good work

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And it wasn't even that great this year, and there was no battle of the giants like GoW vs RDR2. I hope next year will have a more exciting battle again, not just for the sake of the GAs but also for me as a player. ;)