• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, evangelical church membership is staying pretty steady. Religious people are either deciding religion is to extreme and leaving altogether or deciding their genre of it isn't extreme enough and going that way.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my friends and family identify as Christian (as well as my self) but idk anyone whos gone to a church in the last few years other than a select few. I think online resources, covid, and of course the church's attachment to trump is effecting these numbers a decent amount.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Ideally churches would evolve to grow the charity and community building and yeet the anti-science and bigotry. But I could see the opposite happening if socially liberal youth feel ostracized by the church. And that's probably closer to reality, unfortunately.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I always make it a point to keep tab on whats happening conservative bubble world because "Know Your Enemy" (c) and I always chuckle when they try to hype up their boomer audience with this supposed wave of youth rejecting the amorality of the modern era (LGBTQ, rap, recycling) to come back to church. I remember it hit an apex when those 'The kids aren't having sex as often as the previous generation' polls were all the rage a couple of years ago. As opposed to seeing it as kids not buying into the sexed up roles that they help push with their puritainism on some forbidden fruit shit, they thought it was going to be a bunch of new blond Christians running to church.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Decentralization probably adds to that. I'm a Christian but I don't currently belong to a church because there are a lot of resources out there to watch messages from different churches. Evangelical churches siding with Trump probably contributed a lot to that as well.
I've lost all respect for the sermon format over the last year. Small groups and Bible studies are actually biblical

Muse98

May 28, 2020
Probably off topic but I always found it absurd that people believe if they pray hard enough then god will grant them whatever wish they are asking him for....like why would God bless you but turn a blind eye to the millions of starving kids in the world?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
No wonder so many priests are losing their minds and getting more extreme, their tithing plates aren't paying their bills like they used to.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Most of my friends and family identify as Christian (as well as my self) but idk anyone whos gone to a church in the last few years other than a select few. I think online resources, covid, and of course the church's attachment to trump is effecting these numbers a decent amount.

Churches in the US thrive on making/squeezing money out so that plays more of a factor than anything.

Like the church my family goes to - they raised the subscription (yes that's a thing in the US) from $500 to $750 per family (and planning to raise it to $1,000)

Compare that to the church I go to in india where there is no subscription fee at all

I always tell my folks , I believe in God , but not in the people who run churches

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Probably off topic but I always found it absurd that people believe if they pray hard enough then god will grant them whatever wish they are asking him for....like why would God bless you but turn a blind eye to the millions of starving kids in the world?

God knows what you want in advance, but also needs you to pray to tell him what you want, but you shouldn't ask God for things because you shouldn't challenge his judgement, but prayer also works and doesn't work at the same time.

Also God made the entire universe, but when it comes to making crisp, clean, unmarked 100 dollar bills that's his kryptonite.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I love God but fuck all the grifters using faith to convince struggling people to go broke trying to buy a blessing.

Hence I stopped going to church years and years ago. Not funding pastors cocaine habit and a new car for his side chick.

Also:
main-qimg-193ba99b5185bff6a79dc7e958961912

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Commentary Towards Religion
Keep that shit rollin HARD - lets eradicate this usless filth off the planet once and for all

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I spent a good couple years trying to find a church because I still want to believe. But most of them are evil money making machines full of evil self-righteous fucktards that I don't want to associate with.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Excellent news. The less people believe some made up shit from centuries ago, the less that can justify using that same stupidity to hate and discriminate.

I don't know if this specifically means that people still don't hold religious beliefs. They may not see the need to go to a specific church.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How many of these folks joined the church of Q tho.

That's the insidious thing about Q. You don't have to leave your church to believe in it. The whole "God wins" religious aspect is one of the absorption methods that helps it sustain itself.

Of course, the

absolute faith in an all-knowing authority figure with a perfect plan, prophesied to one day soon come forth with a world-shattering revelation that will cleanse the world in a wave of righteous justice that punishes the guilty

stuff helps too.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Maybe if Churches didn't seem to stan so hard for conservatism that wouldn't happen.

Agreed. My church just took a hard turn into some more conservative beliefs after several years of trying to be more progressive (i.e. we're no longer improving outreach and not truly caring for those in this country that are being persecuted). It's been hard to stomach.

As someone who appreciates what the church can be when it is truly modeled after the teachings of Jesus Christ, I'm not the least bit surprised attendance is dropping.

Also, I agree with the others that say COVID is having a big impact.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I love God but fuck all the grifters using faith to convince struggling people to go broke trying to buy a blessing.

Hence I stopped going to church years and years ago. Not funding pastors cocaine habit and a new car for his side chick.
This is how my family is. We're catholic but we haven't went to church in years. Not supporting corruption.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
CS Lewis wrote a good book on suffering actually(which considering the dude fought in the trenches in WW is saying something).

What I find weird is my folks who were a lot more free flowing as independent pastors of a non denominational church growing up now pushing us more for the traditional stuff...

Nov 26, 2018
Decentralization probably adds to that. I'm a Christian but I don't currently belong to a church because there are a lot of resources out there to watch messages from different churches. Evangelical churches siding with Trump probably contributed a lot to that as well.

As someone who is a white Christian but also ex-vangelical, going to churches outside the mega/Protestant loop was an amazing breath of fresh air. When it became more and more apparent evangelicalism was a tool of white supremacy, there was no way my soul could be at peace at such a church. My parents still go through.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
The change from 2000 to now is pretty wild. Impact of the internet?
I know the Internet has been very responsible for the increase of people leaving the Mormon church.

The church has been forced to recognize that they misled people on a lot of church history.

For example, for decades they portrayed Joseph Smith as translating the golden plates by reading them and dictating the translation to a scribe.

The truth, however, was that he didn't need the plates... he put a magic rock in a hat and put his face inside the hat and that's how he translated the Book of Mormon.

Same magic rock he used to scam people into paying him to find hidden treasures.

Not to mention the fact that he married and slept with14-year olds (or "almost 15", like the church likes to say).

I can only imagine the kind of church history the Catholic Church is hiding in its archives in the Vatican. I wish that stuff would find its way online.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Prayers have helped for shit during these two years.

All people are not that stupid.

chimpychi

Oct 27, 2017
Churches in the US thrive on making/squeezing money out so that plays more of a factor than anything.

Like the church my family goes to - they raised the subscription (yes that's a thing in the US) from $500 to $750 per family (and planning to raise it to $1,000)

Compare that to the church I go to in india where there is no subscription fee at all

I always tell my folks , I believe in God , but not in the people who run churches
Paying to have someone tell you what an awful sinner you are 52x a year.. Lol

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Actually, some argued that COVID would cause an INCREASE in church membership, because a tragedy would cause more people to look towards spiritual guidance.
People are surely more spiritual after this pandemic, given for many people it was the first time in their lives to consider their mortality and individuality.

But the answers they are seeking are in no prayer.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A positive but unfortunately too many people believe BS in other forms so easily.

Just when I'm out I'm surrounded by idiots.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
People are surely more spiritual after this pandemic, given for many people it was the first time in their lives to consider their mortality and individuality.

But the answers they are seeking are in no prayer.

I mean they can still be in prayer. Just not at a church.

No religious affiliation, for example, doesn't mean they don't have religious beliefs. They just don't consider themselves a member of a specific religion.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they'll rebound once people can congregate again.

Looks like a pretty long term trend - church attendance has been declining since the 2000's. At most we might see a small jump in 2022 or so but I doubt it'll be the start of an upwards swing. This sort of trend is happening in a ton of other countries as well.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This is exponential too. The kids of millennials are not going to churches. If you don't go to church as a child, the numbers say you will never go.
But wat will they believe in next? Don't think easily manipulated people suddenly become rational or something. They'll not suddenly be less xenophobic.
They won't suddenly embrace science. That's too far away from them.
When religion stops working for them they'll search for something that DOES work for them. Something that DOES feed their xenophobia and bigotry.
Politics for instance. Sorry, i'm not optimistic. Wish i had more reason to be an optimist.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Bro what? A subscription? Your family is getting taken for a ride. My church doesn't do that, they just do the whole offering plate thing and people just put in whatever.
Is this strictly membership or also attendance?

Because I've never been a member of a church and don't plan on becoming one, even if I still do attend church.

Most younger folks/millennials are just less likely to commit to a single church, mostly because a lot of us have seen how quickly pastors/congregations can turn to preaching hate.

It's also probably why most millennials just stopped attending altogether.
Seems to be membership being measured rather than attendance.
I spent a good couple years trying to find a church because I still want to believe. But most of them are evil money making machines full of evil self-righteous fucktards that I don't want to associate with.
You can still believe without having to go to a church, although I get the want for community.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good. I think churches have value in their communities, but organized religion has harmed this country beyond repair.