• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sam Mobile

EA4aRCLX4AcW5ga.jpg

Chub717

Alt account
Banned
Jul 11, 2019
They really should have just ripped the band aid off when Apple did it instead of giving people false hope for 3 years. Even if you're not obsessed with making phones thinner like Apple to remain competitive you have to keep jamming more stuff in the phone. The 3.5mm jack takes up far too much room without providing enough functionality to justify its existence.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
It's a bit more reasonable now than 3 years ago, as decent Bluetooth headphones have gotten cheaper.

Less choice is always worse though, and it sucks to see features removed.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Omg this dongle is so revolutionary, truly the pinnacle of innovation that deserves to be reported on. Okay but seriously, the note series seeing features dropped means the S11 will definitely see no 3.5mm jack. I haven't bought a flagship, ever, but it sucks my soul dry to see this become the norm. People hate old tech while not understanding that sometimes its also perfected tech, and companies take advantage of that while peddling a worse solution for 5x the price. Its maddening.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, guess I'm switching from my Note 9 to a phone that still has a headphone jack next time I upgrade. Fuck you Samsung

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The thread title isn't super clear or else I imagine this thread would be bigger

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be great when you lose the dongle.

I've lost mine for my iphone three times now. Pretty tired of it... but I'm glad my car has bluetooth.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this phone has already been announced.

I know it hasn't. It just feels like it.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Welp. Time to hold on my S9 for dear life. Absolutely ridiculous, 700+ phones with no headphone jacks.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I use my Galaxy with the GearVR and headphones so stuff like this fucking sucks. Bluetooth headphones are expensive and have been super unreliable for me.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Android needs an "airpods" equivalent to make this transition easier

How about those Sony's that have the big thread here
Android has boatloads of options. All cheaper than AirPods, all with the same mediocre audio quality as AirPods. Only difference between AirPods and the thousands of other truly wireless earbuds is that AirPods don't go in your ear canal. And price.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If they going to do this bullshit why not put a second usb c jack on top of the phone?

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I don't get the fuss. The world has moved on from headphone jacks and analog audio. Most people I see listening to music on their phones either have wireless headphones, earbuds or airpods-type earphones.

This is purely complaining for the sake of it.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the fuss. The world has moved on from headphone jacks and analog audio. Most people I see listening to music on their phones either have wireless headphones, earbuds or airpods-type earphones.

good! love that apple keeps dragging us by the feet into the future like this.

Because less options are always a good thing. Because the planet needs more non-replaceable batteries and plastic things that need to be thrown away every year or two. Because the good quality (much better than garbage like airpods) wired headphones that you invested in should be discarded unless you want to buy even more plastic bullshit (which conveniently also needs replacement like your charging cables) that needs to hang off your phone. For no good reason. Your children and grandchildren will remember your courage, if they survive what's coming.

Last edited:

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

But why remove it?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the fuss.

People have only explained the fuss a million times.

Bluetooth has no advantages over analog headphones except being wireless. They're more expensive, have worse quality for the price, generally have non-replaceable batteries which means they'll eventually die, need to be charged, are bulkier due to needing a battery, you can't plug your phone into someone else's car unless you pair it first....and on and on.

Oh and also, phones with a headphone jack still have access to Bluetooth audio so those that prefer it can still use it. You don't need to remove it for people to use Bluetooth if they prefer.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Not an issue. I have one pair of nice headphones and I just leave the dongle attached. Car audio works through lightning/usb c. I can't remember a single time I needed a headphone jack in the past 3 years.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How long do bluetooth batteries last, life expectancy?

I know headphones don't last that long anyway, 6 months to two years for me at varying price points so probably not an issue of junk beside extra battery material and such being sent to the dump.

I like the headphone jack, Bluetooth can be got for cheap but it also adds some cost I don't want to pay. Dongle yes but it's stupid to remove the jack option.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
I just use the USB-C to headphone dongle, I don't get why this is such a dealbreaker for so many individuals.

2$ on wish and includes a USB C port so you are not even losing the port while listening.
5acd83655708592bcba10621-large.jpg

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing other users
Because less options are always a good thing. Because the planet needs more non-replaceable batteries and plastic things that need to be thrown away every year or two. Because the good quality (much better than garbage like airpods) wired headphones that you invested in should be discarded unless you want to buy even more plastic bullshit (which conveniently also needs replacement like your charging cables) that needs to hang off your phone. For no good reason. Your children and grandchildren will remember your courage, if they survive what's coming.

Embarassing post.

Half of you whiners are stuck in the past.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Daily reminder that I can use bluetooth headphones on my phone that has a headphone jack.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be holding onto my S10e for a long time.

Yes I mostly use Bluetooth headphones with it (love fully wireless earbuds), but I've got a really good (and CHEAP) pair of over-the-ear headphones that arent wireless (those Sony Studio ones) and I like having the option of using them if my wireless buds die or I just want better sound quality.

Also yes, I don't actually mind dongle all that much. I personally only use one or two pairs of wired headphones so I can just keep the dongle on them at all times and not worry about losing it or anything.
But still, I'll always go for a headphone jack if it's available.