• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is a movie.

deadline.com

‘Cleopatra’ Epic To Re-Team ‘Wonder Woman’s Gal Gadot & Patty Jenkins; Paramount Wins Wild Auction

Cleopatra Gal Gadot Patty Jenkins Paramount movie deal Laeta Kalogridis Script Wonder Woman reteam for Gadot and Jenkins

From the writer of Catwoman, Terminator Genysis, Alita Battle Angel and Alexander.
EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures has won an auction for an epic that will have Gal Gadot wearing the crown of a real wonder woman of history. Wonder Woman helmer Patty Jenkins will direct Gadot in Cleopatra, a period biographical drama scripted by Laeta Kalogridis. This is the first major project package won by Paramount Motion Picture Group President Emma Watts in an auction that came down to Universal, Warner Bros, Netflix and Apple, I've heard.

The film will be produced by Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven, Jenkins, Gadot and her Pilot Wave Motion Pictures partner Jaron Varsano. Kalogridis will be the exec producer. Deal closed yesterday after Gadot — the film was her idea and generated by Pilot Wave — took part in a select number of Zoom pitches, accompanied by Jenkins, Roven and Varsano, with Kalogridis laying out the beats of an epic story that is based on the research she did after Gadot enlisted her.

Seems Sony is also working on some kind of Cleopatra movie.

The Egyptian queen's tale has all the makings of a big female empowerment story, told by women. She was mostly played as a seductress by Elizabeth Taylor in the 1963 Joseph Mankiewicz-directed Cleopatra. That film cost more than any film to date and despite winning four of the nine Oscars for which it was nominated and being a big hit at the box office, Cleopatra nearly bankrupted 20th Century Fox. Despite that, Hollywood has continued its infatuation with the Queen of the Nile. Sony Pictures and producers Amy Pascal and Scott Rudin have for years developed an adaptation of the Stacy Schiff biography Cleopatra. Angelina Jolie was attached and Lady Gaga was later rumored for a possible coronation following her Oscar-nominated performance in A Star Is Born. The list of potential directors has included James Cameron, Denis Villenueve and David Fincher. The film has been through many rewrites, last from David Scarpa. I hear most recently that Eric Roth is working on it, meaning there might be a footrace here between Sony and Paramount to go first.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty good fit all thing considered. Sure why not.

It beats fucking Lady Gaga at least.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Jenkins got good stuff from Gadot in WW so I bet it'll be a good enough flick.

Still think Liz Taylor's was iconic.

Edit: I just realized we're probably going to get a shit ton of "But she's not Egyptian" takes huh.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, why not.

I have to wonder though how much longer big movies are going to be greenlit if there are no theatres or willing patrons.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm always glad to see more historical epics, especially ones set in the roman era. if it sucks, it sucks, but at least there's a chance.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Sure, why not.

I have to wonder though how much longer big movies are going to be greenlit if there are no theatres or willing patrons.
If theaters are still closed in 3+ years when this comes out the studios will have MUCH bigger problems to deal with.

They have to act as if it will go back to normal. There is no other viable path forward.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
It could be interesting if they focus on Cleopatra's desire to safeguard Egypt's position in the Roman Empire in addition to the guaranteed romantic beats.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Before all the knives come out, please remember Cleopatra was ethnically Greek. Almost assuredly 100% ethnically Greek. The ruling Greeks did not mingle with the Egyptians they rules over.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Before all the knives come out, please remember Cleopatra was ethnically Greek. Almost assuredly 100% ethnically Greek. The ruling Greeks did not mingle with the Egyptiana they rules over.
And a Greek actor would be a better choice over Gadot, but unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean they could at least get an actor of Greek or Egyptian heritage but white feminism got its limits in caring 🤷🏾

I'm not sure why Gal Gadot was cast other than nepotism, because this would be one of her first on-screen dramatic roles with no action.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
99008f1bfa5c397c63144c011c88b3fc.gif

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing this will be a rather grandiose Hollywood style take on her considering everyone involved.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always down for historical drama/epics, but that writer's resume is Oof.gif

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Sucks DC never gave Patty the reigns for Justice League/DCdom

She single handedly brought the worthless DCEU back from the brink

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the story will focus on? Possibly the Seige of Alexandria, with her half-sister Arsinoë IV been the anatagonist of the narative, rather than the typical focus on Caesar and Marc Anthony.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think anyone is too concerned with non-greeks playing greeks in a hollywood production.
When it comes to these old-timey historical epics, being some kind of white is all it takes. Brad Pitt not being Greek didn't stop him from playing Achilles, and let's not forget Maximus is supposed to be a Spaniard in Gladiator lol.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about historical accuracy anyone greenlighting a movie in 2020 where the protagonist a white person is ruling over black people is on one.

Might as well rename the movie to Karen.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
If I want some Cleopatra in my life I'll just rewatch season 2 of Rome.
Which would be a shame, with two Cleopatra films focusing on the same tired old narrative already depicted in HBO's Rome and still unmatched.

Everytime someone mentions HBO's Rome I cry a bit. And I wispher to myself, don't be sad because it's over, be happy becuase it happened!

And movies about Rome seems to focus always in the same timeframes, and when they don't they can get really weird (in a bad way). I still want a movie/tv series focused on the crisis of the third century and/or Constantine.

Again, Zenobia's story would make for such an incredible movie!

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
So after portraying a "Greek Amazon demigod" she's going to portray the "Greek Queen of Egypt".