• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We recently had the opportunity to chat once again with the Gaijin CEO. Given that so many crossplay titles have been added to the market since we last spoke, we asked him if the developers were now any closer to realizing their crossplay dream. As it turns out, the new policies actually introduce limitations when it comes to cross-progression that weren't there before.
New policies are not just "better for crossplay". They also add some limitations compared to the old ones. For instance, our PlayStation 4 players are currently able to play on PC [in War Thunder] keeping all their progress on the same account. It looks like that won't be possible with new policies applied.
So we are still discussing this.

looks like for now players of war thunder will be locked to either PC/PS4 or PC/XBO cross-play, but the new policies might mean cross-progression between PC and PS4 would no longer be possible.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
For whatever it's worth, the Modern Warfare beta had full, seamless cross-progression between PS4, PC and XB1 so I wonder what's going on here.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
:-/

Jim Ryan does seem to have his hand on the wheel pretty firmly judging from the quote that surfaced today. If anyone's gonna address this smartly it'll be him. Hope those conversations pan out (and everyone else comes around to cross progression)

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
For the players. Jesus if Microsoft plays their cards right I'm wondering how that will affect Sony in the long run. Also I wonder how third party devs feel about Sony besides the obvious big guys like Activision or Ubisoft. Cause Sony has been silent and prepping for next gen but it all feels a tad bit clunky

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For whatever it's worth, the Modern Warfare beta had full, seamless cross-progression between PS4, PC and XB1 so I wonder what's going on here.
i think it just means that certain big developers are still getting preferential treatment and the limitations aren't the same for smaller devs.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One step forward one step back. Hopefully this gets sorted out. It feels like we're so close to the true cross-play/progress future.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Hmm... I will take his word with a grain of salt. How the hell Sony can control the progression if the data are saved in gaijin server?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i think it just means that certain big developers are still getting preferential treatment and the limitations aren't the same for smaller devs.
This is the unfortunate truth. Smaller devs just don't get the focus like bigger devs do. Sony swung Crossplay and its probably how they got exclusive content as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony only gives in for the big players like Activision or Epic. They better change these policies and double down on it when presenting the PS5.
The weird thing is that it's the small players that need it more so than the big ones as those depend on a much smaller playerbase for the game to remain active, a playerbase that's spread across multiple platforms

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This says almost literally nothing and comes across like there's a bone to pick. There's probably as limitation to what terms he can talk about, but the only limitation to progression I could possibly see coming into play is if there's something unique for PS4 users (maybe something special/free for PS+ subs?) that Sony doesn't want to be on other platforms, which I understand completely.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is still weird about smaller games. Look at how Chucklefish requested cross-play for Wargroove only to have it denied, despite Sony claiming "Our door is open".

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

In the 'CoD exclusive mode' thread, there were people saying that maybe the exclusive mode was Sony's concession for crossplay... this news kinda makes me wonder if maybe there is something to it. Maybe they keep this option on the negotiating table on a per game basis?

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm... I will take his word with a grain of salt. How the hell Sony can control the progression if the data are saved in gaijin server?

Agreed - unless they promised a few of the big games exclusive cross-progression?? sounds nuts, but its possible?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah, unfortunately that might be the case which would be extremely shitty on Sony's part
In the 'CoD exclusive mode' thread, there were people saying that maybe the exclusive mode was Sony's concession for crossplay... this news kinda makes me wonder if maybe there is something to it. Maybe they keep this option on the negotiating table on a per game basis?
I think the 1-year exclusive Spec Ops Survival Mode was just a trade for the previously announced 7 days exclusivity on all post-launch content. Activison and IW wanted cross-play but if PS4 players get everything (maps, modes, skins, guns etc.) a week earlier that obviously complicates things.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
For the players. Jesus if Microsoft plays their cards right I'm wondering how that will affect Sony in the long run. Also I wonder how third party devs feel about Sony besides the obvious big guys like Activision or Ubisoft. Cause Sony has been silent and prepping for next gen but it all feels a tad bit clunky

Surely "I own this game on three platforms and can't carry my progress properly" is a problem that only hits a very small percentage of people.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
its not the first time a ps account has blocked access. there was the whole deal with fortnite accounts

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How could Sony possibly enforce this?
of course they can. the dev is saying previously cross-progression was possible between PC/PS4 (but not between PS4/XBO, as sony was blocking that), but the new policies would stop it even between PC/PS4. the same way they've been blocking it with XBO, they can do it with PC. sony has the power to not let you sell your game on their platform if you don't follow their rules.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Pubg got crossplay without any deal on the table

Is that patch live now? I only played the PTS version.

But yeah, maybe it's on a per-game basis though? As far as we know, Gaijin has been one of the most vocal dev's on crossplay and trying to get their game supported (between consoles), there has to be some merit to what they're saying.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
This article is from yesterday (and the interview some time before then), but they just announced today that cross play is open for everyone. Could this be outdated information?

Jan 20, 2019
Is that patch live now? I only played the PTS version.

But yeah, maybe it's on a per-game basis though? As far as we know, Gaijin has been one of the most vocal dev's on crossplay and trying to get their game supported (between consoles), there has to be some merit to what they're saying.

Yah yesterday the patch went live.

Honestly, i dont know what the fuck is going on, it seems cross play is fine but cross progression is being block?

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surely "I own this game on three platforms and can't carry my progress properly" is a problem that only hits a very small percentage of people.

That's moot for F2P games. And doesn't address the main benefit of cross play which substantially affects the health of an online game's player pool - and allows people to play together with their friends that might have another system.

This specific issue is about cross progression, but cross play is an even bigger problem that hasn't been solved yet because Sony has blocked it with some high profile exceptions.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

True. Not everyone games on mutliple platforms, but then again, that makes the idea that they would limit it for one developer, whilst not for others all the more adverse.

BUT Double-dip and Triple-dip crew shouldn't be punished for our shameful ways, also gotta factor in F2P games here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man why is it so hard for Sony to do the right thing sometimes. Cross progression is a must on an online game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This article is from yesterday (and the interview some time before then), but they just announced today that cross play is open for everyone. Could this be outdated information?
that's possible, yeah. i didn't notice that the article is from yesterday. maybe starting today things have changed which makes the devs complaints no longer valid.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Reopening the thread with additional supporting information.

According to https://wccftech.com/gaijin-ceo-int...launched-war-thunder-on-steams-current-state/ which was published today,
New policies are not just "better for cross-play". They also probably can add some limitations compared to the old ones. For instance, our PS4 players are currently able to play on PC keeping all their progress on the same account. It looks like that won't be possible with new policies applied.

ColdSun

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You are indeed correct Dom, the information was posted in the OP. My bad.

None the less, given the full statement it seems there is still room for discussion on the issue as there is no reason to believe that the comments have definitively been made invalid by Sony opening up crossplay.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
The interview was taken at least days ago (probably more, due to how they phrased it) which means it's outdated information. Sony just announced today crossplay and crossprogression would be free for all developers that wanted to implement. At this point this is just here to spread misinformation and an attempt at bashing a console manufacturer.

ColdSun

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
New policies are not just "better for cross-play". They also probably can add some limitations compared to the old ones. For instance, our PS4 players are currently able to play on PC keeping all their progress on the same account. It looks like that won't be possible with new policies applied.

As the article mentioned 'new' policies, it's hard to say if what Gaijin experiencing in terms of policies regarding progress has been addressed or not.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
The interview was taken at least days ago (probably more, due to how they phrased it) which means it's outdated information. Sony just announced today crossplay and crossprogression would be free for all developers that wanted to implement. At this point this is just here to spread misinformation and an attempt at bashing a console manufacturer.

Nah, full crossplay support from Sony probably rolled out a month ago (when Smite, Paladins and some other games received support).

Also, I don't think that exclusive items are the problem. Fortnite, Rocket League (and probably Modern Warfare) have it and there's no problem.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
JFC Sony. I hope this isn't true. I'll keep watching until there is enough info, but man it doesn't sound good.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
But COD allows for cross-play AND progression right?

Why not for everyone Sony?

C'mon. This isn't that hard.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony didn't actually announce anything.

The news came from a wired article which specifically mentions that Sony isn't announcing any new policy, but notes that the cross play "beta" was over - something anyone could have realised given the number of PS4 titles that have received crossplay within the last month or so (CoD, PuBG, paladins, realm Royale, Crystal Chronicles, etc)