• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
LINK FOR PRE-REGISTERING: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.RSRSWW

I don't know how this happened but a SaGa game, the niche of the niche for us, and practically a dead series until Scarlet Grace came out, is now the top 4 gacha in revenue, earning 150 MILLION DOLLARS in 2019.

I'm as clueless as you as to how it managed to work so well. But it's SaGa so it doesn't surprise me that the series that was the closest to pull off negative sales is now the one that is one of Japan's most-performing gacha that is only slightly behind Granblue Fucking Fantasy.

It doesn't even look that special you know? But it has to have some kind of pull, must be the music, the art, the feel. I don't know.

The arts for character aren't even bad and over the top too. They're even using Tomomi Kobayashi's wonderful art!

latest
latest
latest

latest
latest
latest

And the music is as always absolutely godlike. They even have a fire arrangement of SaGa Frontier's battle theme

I don't know how and why this game worked or even how it plays, but it's worth checking it out

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I recently learned the dev team behind the game are actually akatsuki, who also work on Dokkan Battle and is up there as one of the most profitable gacha games in Japan.

I like SaGa so I preregistered, hope it does well enough here. If something like Langrisser Mobile (perhaps an even more obscure IP in the west than SaGa?) can do well, maybe this could too.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's hoping it survives for a while. Longer than Star Ocean Global would be nice. I'll pre-register.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Can you play Alkaiser? I can see Alkaiser? So you play character of all Saga games? So probably Fat Zorro is here too?

Fucking pre-registered.

timelyhoward

Nov 15, 2017
Can you play Alkaiser? I can see Alkaiser? So you play character of all Saga games? So probably Fat Zorro is here too?

Fucking pre-registered.
There are multiple versions of both, and those two characters in particular happen to have SS variants that can be earned as quest/event rewards, so you won't be at the mercy of the gacha to get them on your team.

Putting aside "unofficial" SaGa games like The Last Remnant, the only games in the series that conspicuously lack representation at the moment are SaGa 1/2/3 on the Game Boy, though SaGa 1 characters have been teased repeatedly and are likely to show up soon. I suspect the game is doing quite well, as it's been going for well over a year now and hasn't had a single crossover event.

timelyhoward

Nov 15, 2017
I heard that this SaGa gacha is really P2W, do you know if that's accurate?
I would disagree with that statement. I haven't put any money into it and am currently up to date on story content, having cleared all available main quests on their hardest setting, and during temporary events I am typically able to clear everything up to the final or penultimate difficulty level. There isn't any multiplayer content whatsoever at the moment, so that P2W pressure has never really crept up--I couldn't give two hoots if other people are clearing single-player content faster/more efficiently than I am, ha ha.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would disagree with that statement. I haven't put any money into it and am currently up to date on story content, having cleared all available main quests on their hardest setting, and during temporary events I am typically able to clear everything up to the final or penultimate difficulty level. There isn't any multiplayer content whatsoever at the moment, so that P2W pressure has never really crept up--I couldn't give two hoots if other people are clearing single-player content faster/more efficiently than I am, ha ha.

Do you know if the game ever got a remaster of SaGa Frontier Battle 5? That's one of the more popular to remix SaGa songs so I would love to hear how Ito and his sound team rearranges it for the modern era. I've heard a lot of the soundtrack but I would love it if they tackled SF B5 or Burn Alkaiser.

timelyhoward

Nov 15, 2017
Do you know if the game ever got a remaster of SaGa Frontier Battle 5? That's one of the more popular to remix SaGa songs so I would love to hear how Ito and his sound team rearranges it for the modern era. I've heard a lot of the soundtrack but I would love it if they tackled SF B5 or Burn Alkaiser.
Battle 5 is used for the Metal Black event, but I think it may have just been the original track.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. Here's the arranged version from the Very Hard versions of the event:

Last edited:

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
That is such an odd resurgence. I'll pre-register since I like Saga games but it's weird thinking Gacha gave the series life.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Battle 5 is used for the Metal Black event, but I think it may have just been the original track.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. Here's the arranged version from the Very Hard versions of the event:

Ah. It's the version from S.B.A. 2. Kind of disappointing it didn't get an entirely new cover, but oh well.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Saga used to be one of Square's top franchise in the 90s. Prior to this and Scarlet Grace there is this browser game( that might still be around?) called Imperial Saga that did well too. So it is unexpected for this game to do so well but not unsurprising.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those games that has an original storyline that's like a new game, which has a lot of people hooked.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a lot of game to this game, or is it a lot like other mobile RPG's that make you spend ages faffing around in menus, managing your piles of stuff?
It's one of those games that has an original storyline that's like a new game, which has a lot of people hooked.
So, the story's good, or just good for a mobile game?
I've had a few mobile games that were praised for pretty good story that immediately lost me with trash writing. Looking at you, SMT D2.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Kinda interested, but with how fast they shut down the western version of the Star Ocean mobage I'm reluctant to bother with it.

May 13, 2019
So, the story's good, or just good for a mobile game?
I've had a few mobile games that were praised for pretty good story that immediately lost me with trash writing. Looking at you, SMT D2.
The SaGa games have always been mechanic-focused JRPG where the selling point is to try and figure out the countless systems the series feature that are seldom explained because the games generally think tutorials are for losers.

If you are looking for a plot that's more than just window dressing, look elsewhere.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Game has come out in English (in Canada at least). Very reminiscent of Final Fantasy Record Keeper... although the battle mechanics seem much more faithful to the original Romancing SaGa games. It was surprisingly easy to pick up and figure things out. I've bounced off a bunch of gatcha games in the past but so far I keep thinking about this game and keep opening it back up to advance a mission or two... something about it is enticing me.

Not sure how many people would be interested in an OT... it would be nice to figure out what works good in the game and to share strategies with others.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Word of warning, it is in beta right now and I believe it'll be wiped before the real launch.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The beta is getting a wipe, so don't get too deep in.

I'm also enjoying it, nice and simple so far and the main battle theme is fantastic

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ah dang, really? I was really happy to have pulled an SS Katarina! Hah. No wonder you can't buy Jewels right now.

Oh well, I've only played until part 4-1 so not a huge loss. I look forward to the real release.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck at Yami anyway(Story level 3-2-6). He confuses my entire party every time. I have no idea how to defeat him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Really? That sucks, they gave me lots of gems.

It is worthy to spend them?

Closed betas pretty much always get nuked before formal launch. It's incredibly common, and it's basically done out of fairness to players who weren't able to get into the beta tests because it would otherwise completely unbalance the playerbase in favor of beta testers. Go nuts.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Closed betas pretty much always get nuked before formal launch. It's incredibly common, and it's basically done out of fairness to players who weren't able to get into the beta tests because it would otherwise completely unbalance the playerbase in favor of beta testers. Go nuts.

Oh I see. So what's the point of playing the game then? to know what to do when it launches? Or there is stilll going to be a thnk you bonus for those who played the early access?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see. So what's the point of playing the game then? to know what to do when it launches? Or there is stilll going to be a thnk you bonus for those who played the early access?

Closed beta tests are there for the developers to figure out things like server loads and gameplay balance issues, to help them tune features last-minute before the final release. Think of them like pre-release demos.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'm a simple man. I see SaGa Frontier 1 references, I pre-register.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Happy to see the SaGa series finally getting some love... Even if it is a gacha mobile game.

Nachtfalke

Oct 31, 2017
Game is out. Is this any good? Most gachas from Square Enix are god awful, but maybe I'm spoiled from Dragalia Lost and Fire Emblem Heroes. Last gachas I tried from Square are War of the Visions and that Dragon Quest one. Terrible games.