• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the Alt-Right, have you all forgotten Gaborn's political leanings?

At the old place he argued that racism against Asians was justified because "Chinese people operate restaurants which are open on Christmas day"
I was extremely active on the other site at the time Gaborn was alive and I don't remember that at all? That seems really surprising.

On-topic: cool story, OP! This definitely seems like a Gaborn news thread.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
vbq92V2.gif

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
He died way before the alt-right was a thing, he could have just been a racist (which is bad enough, but, you know, labels and all)

Yes, before the Alt-Right entered the mainstream.

He was very Libertarian, with right-wing conservative leanings - despite being gay (and he did voice his pain about American society's homophobia) and severely disabled.

I felt his politics clouded his judgment on certain issues, especially when it came to Obama's [eventual] work in making things better legally for Gays and lesbians. When I pointed out to him what Obama did his reply was 4 words: Too little too late

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I was extremely active on the other site at the time Gaborn was alive and I don't remember that at all? That seems really surprising.

The thread had drifted towards the racism that Asians face and he voiced his protest, the core of his sorry excuse for an argument was: Chinese people operate restaurants which are open on Christmas Day

I was the ONLY person who called him out on it.

NO ONE, absolutely NOT A SINGLE OTHER POSTER had anything to say about it! Like I said, people just don't care about racism against Asians.

At the time I saved the receipts.

Many months later it came up in conversation and I linked his post. ONLY ONE person responded, and said, "That's certainly racist."

For those of you asking for receipts:

Today for the first time in years I logged into the old place to go through my post history to dig it up, but my post history only goes back 8 pages (2017). I was on my phone. I will check later to see if there is a way I can access my earlier posts via desktop.

Oct 27, 2017
DOCPAN!

Did he migrate here?

No idea. I just vaguely remember some hilarious angry, ranting thread about OP trying to order the breakfast menu for lunch and being denied or w/e, and I think that was a Docpan thread?.

Edit: And uh, that Gaborn excuse for racism against Asians... What exactly would the problem be with having open restaurants on Christmas Day? Wtf

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
No idea. I just vaguely remember some hilarious angry, ranting thread about OP trying to order the breakfast menu for lunch and being denied or w/e, and I think that was a Docpan thread?.

Edit: And uh, that Gaborn excuse for racism against Asians... What exactly would the problem be with having open restaurants on Christmas Day? Wtf

AH yes! That thread.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia

On-topic: cool story, OP! This definitely seems like a Gaborn news thread.

I remember the libertarian stuff, and lawd knows he had a few problematic takes, but I personally don't recall anything egregious enough to eclipse the memory of a generally decent, interesting dude. That doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things; it's just my recollection of him as a poster, and how I relate to his memory today.

Will absolutely revise my position if new shit comes to light, but people are complicated, and there's a reason most people generally think of him positively.

Edit: politics were also much less polarized fifteen years ago, if you can believe it. You could be a gay man living with significant physical disabilities who said something fucking stupid about Chinese people, yet be kind and smart and generally decent to everyone. That doesn't happen these days, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's rare that a person who says something fucking stupid about an ethic group doesn't harbour greater ill will towards them, or doesn't support the right, or is kind and smart. People's behaviours, worldviews, and personalities are all shaped much more forcefully by which side of the political divide they fall on, so progressives don't tend to fuck up because they will be called out on their shit, and are much more receptive to bring corrected because they generally recognize their privilege in a way they didn't in the 2000s.

From what I remember about Gaborn, had he lived, I think he'd be a progressive who repudiated any ignorant, flippant takes. I could be wrong, he could have evolved into an alt right jackass, but if I recall correctly, he was a far cry from them back when he was alive and posting.

Edit 2: All that being said, S-Wind is absolutely right that anti-Asian racism wasn't called out anywhere near as much or as hard as it should have been.

Last edited:

Stellares

Oct 27, 2017
Wow 2012 was when he died. Thats messing with my concept of time because it feels much more recent...
Shame he was a racist.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

It wasn't that he was offended that Chinese restaurants were open on Christmas Day. It was that because Chinese restaurants are open on Christmas Day it puts them at an economic advantage over others who do not operate businesses on that day, therefore we should shut up and stop whining about racism against Asians.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, before the Alt-Right entered the mainstream.

He was very Libertarian, with right-wing conservative leanings - despite being gay (and he did voice his pain about American society's homophobia) and severely disabled.

I felt his politics clouded his judgment on certain issues, especially when it came to Obama's [eventual] work in making things better legally for Gays and lesbians. When I pointed out to him what Obama did his reply was 4 words: Too little too late

I remember that post, man, its been a while.

I absolutely believe you btw, no reason not to. I wonder if he would have changed his views later in life if he had been afforded the chance, theres plenty of stories about conservatives that did as much.

Oct 27, 2017
AH yes! That thread.

Was Doc the one who made that bragging thread about his supposedly awesome wallet that ended up impressing absolutely no one else, or was that some other guy?

It wasn't that he was offended that Chinese restaurants were open on Christmas Day. It was that because Chinese restaurants are open on Christmas Day it puts them at an economic advantage over others who do not operate businesses on that day, therefore we should shut up and stop whining about racism against Asians.

Wtf was that for an argument even 😐

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The thread had drifted towards the racism that Asians face and he voiced his protest, the core of his sorry excuse for an argument was: Chinese people operate restaurants which are open on Christmas Day

I was the ONLY person who called him out on it.

NO ONE, absolutely NOT A SINGLE OTHER POSTER had anything to say about it! Like I said, people just don't care about racism against Asians.

At the time I saved the receipts.

Many months later it came up in conversation and I linked his post. ONLY ONE person responded, and said, "That's certainly racist."

For those of you asking for receipts:

Today for the first time in years I logged into the old place to go through my post history to dig it up, but my post history only goes back 8 pages (2017). I was on my phone. I will check later to see if there is a way I can access my earlier posts via desktop.

I had a ton of debates with him, and I would most definitely say that he came off as a bigot. From what I remember, he was one of those people who was a supposed "Libertarian" almost to a fault - although I'd say that's a given.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I remember that post, man, its been a while.

I absolutely believe you btw, no reason not to. I wonder if he would have changed his views later in life if he had been afforded the chance, theres plenty of stories about conservatives that did as much.
I wondered about that too.

Same sex marriage being legalized nationwide in the U.S. came about after he died.

I wonder how he would have responded.... Given his posts where his political biases show, I think he would have found a way to just dismiss it since he seemed loathe to give Obama credit for anything good.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
My strongest memories of Gaborn are of the weird animal threads he'd post. So this thread seemed very appropriate.

I was vaguely aware he was a bit libertarian and he wasn't a fan of Obama, but honestly don't really remember his posts from other political threads or even other threads in general. Hearing accusations of racism seems out of character from my memory, but again I didn't really follow him too closely outside of his "Gabon News" threads he'd post.

Status
Not open for further replies.