• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Another tidbit from the upcoming EDGE interview with Gabe Newell:

www.gamesradar.com

Gabe Newell on Steam rival Epic Games Store: "It keeps us honest… but it's ugly in the short term"

Valve's co-founder Gabe Newell talks about Steam's aggressive new competitor in the latest issue of Edge magazine

"Competition in game stores is awesome for everybody. It keeps us honest, it keeps everybody else honest," Newell says, "But it's ugly in the short term. You're like, 'Argh, they're yelling, they're making us look bad' - but in the long term, everybody benefits from the discipline and the thoughtfulness it means you have to have about your business by having people come in and challenge you."
"We get a lot more freaked out not by competition, but by people trying to preclude competition," Newell continues, "If you ask us which is scarier, it's people falling in love with Apple's model of controlling everything and having faceless bureaucrats who get to keep your product from entering the market if they don't want it to, or designing a store in a way that minimises software's value-add to experience and stuff like that."

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
"or designing a store in a way that minimises software's value-add to experience (...)"

đź‘€

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
...who get to keep your product from entering the market if they don't want it to, or designing a store in a way that minimises software's value-add to experience

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
"or designing a store in a way that minimises software's value-add to experience (...)"

đź‘€
I hope the interviewer was like...

source.gif

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Indeed it's awesome, and that's why most PC users love to use whatever works best for them / has the best service / deals!
Now just for EGS to actually compete for me, as a customer at the service level and consistently do so - which it is abysmal at right now..

đź‘€

Gabe on point!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It is difficult not to interpret this as a reference to EGS. Very professional, though. I get the impression that he really doesn't want to start a fight.
I mean he starts saying:

"Competition in game stores is awesome for everybody. It keeps us honest, it keeps everybody else honest," Newell says, "But it's ugly in the short term. You're like, 'Argh, they're yelling, they're making us look bad' - but in the long term, everybody benefits from the discipline and the thoughtfulness it means you have to have about your business by having people come in and challenge you."

Basically "EGS should stop being assholes and lying about us".

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck is this take lol?
The kind where "You need to get an iPhone so we can track your location" is a conversation I've had more than once. Granted it's not like I can't be tracked with my current phone, but the directness of that request was offputting

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People hate Apple so bad they'll turn a EGS thread into a dunk on Apple-fest. Kind of amazing when you think about it

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Edit: Sorry, no point in derailing further!

Last edited:

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Gabe isn't scared
The kind where "You need to get an iPhone so we can track your location" is a conversation I've had more than once. Granted it's not like I can't be tracked with my current phone, but the directness of that request was offputting
Sounds like more of a problem with your social circle.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, fanbases in general can be cultish, but the Cupertino fandom in particular is freaking scary in how blindly loyal and fervently evangelizing they are. Only fanbases in games and/or tech I'd compare them to in that regards is Nintendo, Tesla/Elon Musk and...well...Valve/Steam (though I have met a few scary Nvidia stans in my time...).
People hate Apple so bad they'll turn a EGS thread into a dunk on Apple-fest. Kind of amazing when you think about it
It's the only way to keep this thread from devolving into Steam/EGS flamewar #94,381

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugly in the short term for consumers due to EGS' definition of competition being timed exclusivity.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I was just having a discussion with a Steam friend about this article snippet. In response to this quote "Competition in game stores is awesome for everybody. It keeps us honest, it keeps everybody else honest" I said to my buddy:

I fail to see how courting third party devs for exclusive deals or giving them a slightly larger % of sales benefits me as a consumer in any tangible way, if he wanted to elaborate more on that, I'd be excited to hear his thoughts.

I'm curious if anyone here has some thoughts on what I said, because I couldn't really think of any benefits, but maybe someone here could and I'm interested to hear their thoughts.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I was just having a discussion with a Steam friend about this article snippet. In response to this quote "Competition in game stores is awesome for everybody. It keeps us honest, it keeps everybody else honest" I said to my buddy:

I fail to see how courting third party devs for exclusive deals or giving them a slightly larger % of sales benefits me as a consumer in any tangible way, if he wanted to elaborate more on that, I'd be excited to hear his thoughts.

I'm curious if anyone here has some thoughts on what I said, because I couldn't really think of any benefits, but maybe someone here could and I'm interested to hear their thoughts.
I don't think he meant anything in regards to the specifics of EGS' operation. He just meant what he said, that competition keeps them and everyone else honest. Because if they slip up, start abusing their market position for extra profit - 'being dishonest' - then the existence of competition will mean that they'll lose business to that competition. Likewise, it keeps the competition honest, if they want to succeed in the long term. Short term, is where "it gets ugly", as he says. So-called 'competition' being loud and obnoxious, making bad moves for immediate gain, throwing shade at others for no good reason, etc.

So no, there are no direct benefits to consumers from the 'competition' EGS is putting up at the moment. But if they want to keep up with Steam, they're going to have to start competing properly, 'honestly', or they'll end up as just another footnote on the PC gaming timeline.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I like Gabe's use of the word "yelling" since that is exactly how Timmy and Epic are acting.

All bark and no bite lol.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So no, there are no direct benefits to consumers from the 'competition' EGS is putting up at the moment. But if they want to keep up with Steam, they're going to have to start competing properly, 'honestly', or they'll end up as just another footnote on the PC gaming timeline.

As I said in another thread recently, it's telling that Deep Silver and 2K ditched EGS keys for Metro Exodus and Borderlands 3, respectively, after the exclusivity agreements expired. Epic has been so laser-focused on forcing its way into the market via exclusivity that it has completely neglected supporting EGS as an actual platform, so while it's gaining users in the short term by limiting the options they have to play a game they're highly interested in (and offering freebies), it hasn't give them any reason whatsoever to stick around after the fact and publishers are following them out the door the first chance they get.

It's clear that Epic saw an opportunity but dove in headfirst without a long-term plan, and once it inevitably stops throwing bags of money around, publisher support will begin to dry up the more EGS slips into irrelevance.

Last edited:

MasterC12TF

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Did he just disrespect an entire generation of "no steam no sale!!111"-gamers? Because they are the ones on the frontlines fighting this war for him

Apple's fanbase tends to be a cult and that's why everyone takes shots at them. They're borderlining on scientology sometimes

The same can be said about Google Android fans/apologists; Google fans hate privacy like scientologists hate questions about Lisa McPherson lol.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Its nothing personal with Apple. They are just the antithesis of what a lot of people and especially gamers would ever want as the dominant platform for game distribution.

You can love your iPhone. No one is making you out to be the boogeyman. But Apple does walled gardens. period. And Gamers rightfully don't want that kind of "We know what you want better than you do" bullshit lording over the dominant PC gaming platform. It's scary to even think about considering how bad things have been in the past.

No.... Let Apple do Apple.... waaaay over there. Why do you think PC gamers responded how they did to MS when they tried to push their little store with the apps/games on it?

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Did he just disrespect an entire generation of "no steam no sale!!111"-gamers? Because they are the ones on the frontlines fighting this war for
Not really, there are people who simply don't like the barebones nature of a client, regional prices, 3rd party exclusivity or have no access to games because EGS doesn't operate in their region.

MasterC12TF

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
Not really, there are people who simply don't like the barebones nature of a client, regional prices, 3rd party exclusivity or have no access to games because EGS doesn't operate in their region.
I believe you forgot "steam forums" and "proton", but to be honest, people were saying (chanting?) "no steam no sale!!111" before the EGS even existed.
Myself I don't pay for PC games, so Steam doesn't matter anyway aside from my free copy of Portal1 :)

edit: I only play free games, I didn't want to imply piracy, which is lame and a waste of time (if you have a job or income)

So you don't play PC games?

EA, Ubisoft and Epic often give free PC games, also Valve 10 years ago, hence my PC copy of portal 1

At least you clarified that. Do you only play free stuff on other platforms as well?
I generally only play GOTY-material games, which I try to get the physical (special) edition for, paid of course ;) I also share games with friends or coworkers sometimes; they are 'free' then, as I don't have to pay the friend or colleague to have access to the game, but that is mostly 3rd party stuff which I wouldn't have bought anyway.

I know you can share your games on Steam as well, but if Valve finds out about it they will ban your entire account as it goes against their principles and conditions.

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Last edited:

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You could say the same for a lot of 'fanbases' tbh.

I mean, sure. I've never met that kind of rallying behind android in real life though. I have met a lot of people over the years who felt they had something in common with other 'apple' users. From being annoyed that your chat bubble is a different colour, to someone saying my emojis look weird over snapchat and saying 'you're not on android are you?'

We can agree those people who do that are absolute morons, but I haven't experienced the other side of that in real life.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Did he just disrespect an entire generation of "no steam no sale!!111"-gamers? Because they are the ones on the frontlines fighting this war for him

Quite the contrary. He explained that customers see more value in a Steam game because of the ecosystem surrounding it, which is the basis of the "no Steam no sale" attitude. Some gamers or developers may feel that the service they sell the game through shouldn't be important but paying customers are saying otherwise by voting with their wallets.