• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
IGN has a great interview with Gabe Newell:

Quite interesting.

Some tidbits:

-Artifact was a huge disappointment, but learning experience
-Easier to support consoles now than ever
-Liked Slay the Spire
-Still playing DOTA daily
-Valves R&D is working on brain interfaces for AI

"How [Alyx] does is incredibly important. VR market is obviously constrained. So for us it's more about what the fans/reviewers/other developers say. It matters a huge amount to us. It helps us figure out if we're on the right track and if we're moving in the direction we need to be. It will effect every conversation we have for the next 8 months."

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I'll need to watch the whole video later but it's great they're acknowledging Artifact was a misstep. Alyx looks amazing and I think it'll be a real game changer that puts Valve back in the software spotlight.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting, will tune in when I have more time

The comments about consoles doesn't surprise me

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Not really paying attention to Alyx since I have no means of playing it but Robin's talk at 21:30 sounds pretty promising.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'd love to hear more about any new hardware they'd be interested in making, given all their software, such as the Linux push with Proton.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never trust a word from Gabe when he talks about consoles. Would really love to play some of their older games on current hardware but I guess that won't make them money I guess?

...I just want to play TF2 on a console again. :(

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I'll never trust a word from Gabe when he talks about consoles. Would really love to play some of their older games on current hardware but I guess that won't make them money I guess?

He didn't say anything about Valve supporting them again, just that there's very little distinguishing them as distinct platforms as far as game development is concerned and he's glad developers have a smoother road to releasing a multiplatform game.

Last edited:

Crono

Oct 25, 2017

Um you should blame consoles for that mostly.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great interview. It's always interesting to see what Gaben is up to.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

TF2 probably has like 4 to 5 people working on it at the most and they probably work on other stuff too. I wouldn't ever expect another console port of it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Definitely sounds like Half Life 3 will be a VR title if Alyx is well received.

Sounds like the next big thing for Valve is brain interfaces. I can't wait to see the results in 20 years.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Will watch this later. On another note I wonder if Nintendo and Valve will work together again (assuming that rumour that they were considering working together is true).

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I always like listening to Gabe talk, one of the only people in the industry looking beyond the horizon

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I'm so down to see whatever Valve comes up with in the future. I much prefer this over like he Gave said, just cranking out half life games as fast as possible to boost their quarterly results. They have a very talented and I like to see what they decide to do.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Jeez, those cuts to awful compressed footage of games like Half-Life 2 are really bad. Would it really have been hard for IGN to just fire up the games and grab some HD footage from?

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
We've known for years that they have been working on brain interfacing stuff, but I expected all their work to be about sending brain signals to the computer. I didn't expect him to also talk about things about affecting the user like making people feel cold. I'm excited about technology to use the brain to send signals to the computer, but I'll let receiving chill in R&D for a bit I think.

I was also surprised at him saying the technology is far more advanced than we thought. It reminds me of him saying wireless VR transmission was solved years ago, but I guess the barrier for a lot of these technologies is legal approval.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
The Industry: "WE HAVE COOL NEW GAMES FOR XBOX X AND PS5!"

Valve: "COMPUTER BRAIN INTERFACES ARE COMING SOON WILL WIPE OUT THE CURRENT ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY"
This is funny but you can pretty much guarantee that at least Microsoft is working on such technologies too. And those brain interfaces aren't coming any time soon anyway, at least not to normal common use or anything like that.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That was a great interview:

He feels bad about Artifact.

He's really big into "not mountain climbing".

He feels really strongly that VR is going to give them some exciting opportunities.

Does anyone have a timestamp for his Slay the Spire mention? I didn't catch it.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine getting into a game of Dota with Gabe, shitting on him and not knowing it.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They made a $1000 headset. Their VR plans shouldn't be based on the performance of one game.

It's the recepetion they're interested in as well as what other developers are going do for the platform. Unless Alyx is a failure I don't think it will impact much on their other 2 VR projects.....if they're still working on them.