• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
g7G3UCd_d.jpg

Original source: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/b2akh6/i_emailed_gabe_newell_about_mcc_and_he_responded/

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Phil Spencer wants people playing the games that they love in as many ways as possible. It's no surprise they chose Steam as a platform to release this on.
Also no surprise it wasn't hard because Valve doesn't pay for exclusivity.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I half expected him to be like "I thought it was a spam email at first because this doesn't make any damn sense but whoo!"

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yea. He occasionally answers.
Everyone at Valve can respond to those mails is my understanding, but yes.
You can. He doesn't always reply but he's pretty good about it.
Yes, his mail is public and he answers.

That pretty cool.
I am gonna ask him about Half Life 3. Sure he never gets that.

/s

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I am so confused. You can mail Gabe just like that?

I sent him an email when HL2 was released and he sent me a really long and in-depth email back about the game, I was just asking questions about development.

We sent emails back and forth for about 2 months but sadly I no longer have access to that email address so I can't find the emails.

But yeah, he responds for sure and he always left me with a good impression.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm still waiting for confirmation that MCC will be win32 and not encrypted on Steam (hello Stinkles ???), but yeah, I've sent Spencer a Tweet to thank him for bringing Halo to other storefronts as well. That's a great move, and it increased my hope that Microsoft will do pc gaming right sooner or later.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
duh. It was pretty obvious that it's coming to Steam because MS wants to put it there. Valve doesn't need to make dumb deals like certian other storefronts.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for confirmation that MCC will be win32 and not encrypted on Steam (hello Stinkles ???), but yeah, I've sent Spencer a Tweet to thank him for bringing Halo to other storefronts as well. That's a great move, and it increased my hope that Microsoft will do pc gaming right sooner or later.
Phil did have a tweet about this saying it was the right choice to give people more options of where to play, so while I don't know if it's encrypted or not, it sounds like their other titles will be coming to Steam too.

(Honestly SoT on Steam would be a good move right about now too)

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you do the ultimate disrespect and hit Gabe with the "Awesome, thanks for the update!" auto reply

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Phil did have a tweet about this saying it was the right choice to give people more options of where to play, so while I don't know if it's encrypted or not, it sounds like their other titles will be coming to Steam too.

(Honestly SoT on Steam would be a good move right about now too)

SoT on Steam would be ace.

One thing: Gamepass doesn't work with Steam (yet), so that's... something.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the sales of Halo on Steam are so good they consider gears of war and forza?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is doing a lot of the right moves. Giving players more options, more platforms, more consumption methods is great for consumers. Right now, if you want a Microsoft first party, you can:
- buy the game physically for consoles
- play it on a variety of different consoles through backwards compatibility when available (eg. Gears Of War 3 would run both on X360, Xbox One, and probably the next Xbox)
- get the game digitally, again accessing the same backwards compatibility options
- if the game is recent, through Play Anywhere you can also play it on PC, no extra charges, usually with cross-play and cross-progression where it makes sense
- you don't have to buy the game, either: subscribe to Game Pass and get just about all Microsoft first parties of the past, plus all future ones day 1
- some games like Ori, Cuphead, Halo, Age Of Empires or Minecraft appear even on non-Microsoft-owned platforms
- soon enough with xCloud you'll be able to play these games on different devices like mobile phones, tablets, possibly the Switch (contradicting rumors about this one)

Great games should be able to be played on as many devices as possible. Exclusivity only helps the multinationals, the consumers' best interest is having a product as widely available as possible, so that they don't have to invest in an extremely specific piece of hardware to play a specific product. I'm already in the MS ecosystem so I don't necessarily need these games to come to other platforms, but being able to join my Minecraft realms from any platform, being able to couch co-op between laptop and Xbox One with only one copy of Sea Of Thieves with my fiancé, being able to play Fortnite on my Xbox with my Switch buddies... these sort of experiences are the ones that show me what I want from gaming's future, and I'm happy Microsoft is pushing towards that. The sooner we get rid of having to buy an extremely specific piece of hardware to play a game exclusive to it, the better it'll be for us.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the sales of Halo on Steam are so good they consider gears of war and forza?

I feel like that sort of thing is inevitable. If MS want to become the Netflix of gaming & can give people more & more choice...they'll do it. It's one of those aspects where Sony don't exactly have the same heritage, but are still probably going to fall behind in the long run.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This potentially (along with the xCloud and 'be everywhere' approach) hopefully signals MS not trying to twist peoples' arms into using windows store and accepting that people will use stores they want to use.

That also then gives them some breathing space to either improve the windows store or perhaps bring a separate 'xbox' store to PC in parallel

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
This really is an amazing time. Especially if we get those nifty containers for OG Xbox and 360 games. Imagine tidy and well run rereleases with full xinput support.