• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
oh so when stop-and-frisk doesn't affect white folks as much as PoC, we should really be talking about how the police shouldn't stop-and-frisk anyone instead of how they disproportionately use it on PoC? This just boils down to tone policing (lol) and it's no surprise that it rears it's ugly head any time somebody points out the disparity in law enforcement.

Who is telling you to stop talking about something? I have no issue with bringing up the racial dynamics regarding the specifics and the media attention of this case. People were just explaining to you why Brian Laundrie wasn't arrested, which his how this whole conversation got started. He wasn't arrested because the police didn't have cause to arrest him. That police regularly and excessively arrest black and brown people, or generally just treat them like shit, despite having no cause, doesn't change that.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some of you should have done some checking before making proclamations about the "constitutional rights" of fiancés of missing women. If you had, you might have heard of Reginal Robertson, the fiancé of missing GA mother Tiffany Foster. He was arrested for stealing her vehicle without being named as a suspect, PoI, or having the car reported stolen. And wouldn't you know it, he ain't white!

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/coweta-county-man-arrested-for-stealing-missing-fiancees-car
He specifically was arrested, as far as I can tell, for moving her vehicle and abandoning it 30 miles away days after she had been reported missing, not simply for driving her vehicle. Brian didn't move Gabby's car after she was reported missing because that's the day the cops came and seized it from his driveway. Not a complete one to one.
oh so when stop-and-frisk doesn't affect white folks as much as PoC, we should really be talking about how the police shouldn't stop-and-frisk anyone instead of how they disproportionately use it on PoC? This just boils down to tone policing (lol) and it's no surprise that it rears it's ugly head any time somebody points out the disparity in law enforcement.
I mean, talking about how the cops shouldn't stop and frisk anyone is better than what you seem to be arguing, which is that cops don't stop and frisk white people enough?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
You clearly are not a lawyer or anyone with knowledge about law enforcement or legal procedure. You should just stop dude. They clearly didnt have enough to charge him with anything at the time and he has constitutional rights that prevented law enforcement from arresting him and having it stick for any more than 24 hours at best.

Defendants rights get violated all the time, and people get off on charges all the time because their rights were violated. Arguing that this is what should have happened here is wild.
Who said I was an attorney? I sure as fuck didn't. So unless you want to go ask every single person ITT that invoked the constitution if they're a lawyer then I might buy your concern about my credentials.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Who said I was an attorney? I sure as fuck didn't. So unless you want to go ask every single person ITT that invoked the constitution if they're a lawyer then I might buy your concern about my credentials.

Your initial reply to me was "what constitutional rights" and after I explained to you what they were you told me to "get real."

You're the one being hostile and out of line here.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Brian is certainly not the "criminal mastermind" some (not on this forum) have made him out to be. There are thousands of places in that area to "trip and fall", but he chose a flat river bed. This almost certainly wasn't premeditated - or he's one dumb mofo.
A flat river bed right next to the road that the van was recorded parked at by other cameras. And then he brought the van home instead of leaving it in Yellowstone where "her last text" was sent from and hitch hiking out alone. Thankfully he's dumb and messed up, and unless he kills himself, he'll mess up again and get caught.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

I was telling you to stop derailing the thread with irrelevant points about constitutional rights. Obviously the media has handled this differently due in part to the victim being a white woman, which is not what we have been talking about at all in these exchanges.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Brian and his family are depraved, craven people. The only interest I have in the latter is in their ability to help determine where Brian is. Past that, I hope they see the inside of a cell for as long as possible. They all deserve nothing but contempt.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I was telling you to stop derailing the thread with irrelevant points about constitutional rights. Obviously the media has handled this differently due in part to the victim being a white woman, which is not what we have been talking about at all in these exchanges.
I fail to see how this is derailing when it's about Brian and the police and the fact that they let him escape due to massive amounts of privilege.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Do you seriously not understand what people are trying to explain to you here?
They understand, but the answer is not to their liking. Trying to draw blood from a stone by aggressively fighting everyone though.

Attempt #2 to get back on topic before this thread gets pointlessly locked for the 3rd time….

The LAUNDRIE family attorney put out a statement regarding Gabby's death…

"May Gabby rest in peace," Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino said.

https://people.com/crime/brian-laundrie-family-lawyer-statement-gabby-petito-death/?amp=true

Idk, but just makes me a bit angry to be honest. I think I'd rather they had—ironically—be silent instead of putting out that statement.

Thoughts?
Although silence has been their issue this whole time they should have stuck to that tactic here

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Echoing the people saying the Laundries making a 'condolences' statement right now through their lawyer not only rings hollow, but is downright offensive.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
I fail to see how this is derailing when it's about Brian and the police and the fact that they let him escape due to massive amounts of privilege.

But you aren't getting it, that's not what happened. They couldn't charge him with anything that would stick so they didn't, because he has constitutional rights. People of color have their rights violated by cops all the time BUT those incidents are in a vast minority of cases and do not excuse someone elses rights being violated. The push is for everyone to have the same constitutional rights in practice, not that everyone should have their rights violated equally.

For the third time, charges against defendant's that had their rights violated get off on what they were charged with all the time, even people of color.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Who is telling you to stop talking about something? I have no issue with bringing up the racial dynamics regarding the specifics and the media attention of this case. People were just explaining to you why Brian Laundrie wasn't arrested, which his how this whole conversation got started. He wasn't arrested because the police didn't have cause to arrest him. That police regularly and excessively arrest black and brown people, or generally just treat them like shit, despite having no cause, doesn't change that.

I'd also add that the media attention specifically means the cops have a lot more eyes on them than all the cases where they can casually get away with being racist pieces of shit.

I think most people are agreeing with you on that point. That in itself is not what's causing the argument.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
User Banned (1 Week): Driving Inflammatory Thread Derail over Several Posts
But you aren't getting it, that's not what happened. They couldn't charge him with anything that would stick so they didn't, because he has constitutional rights. People of color have their rights violated by cops all the time BUT those incidents are in a vast minority of cases and do not excuse someone elses rights being violated. The push is for everyone to have the same constitutional rights in practice, not that everyone should have their rights violated equally.

For the third time, charges against defendant's that had their rights violated get off on what they were charged with all the time, even people of color.
This is basically equivalent to "all lives matter". When someone criticizes a white teen getting off due to affluenza, people like you come along to minimize, deflect, and dismiss the obvious gap in law enforcement treatment of whites over non whites

Oct 30, 2017
No they let him "escape" because they had no probable cause to arrest him at the time.

I implore you to actually read the Florida statutes concerning what constitutes theft and tell me what probable cause police could have had to arrest BL when they impounded the van. If BL's name was registered as an insured motorist for that van then police would have zero cause to arrest him.

Regardless of how fucked up our police system is, this was absolutely a "we don't have enough to lock him up." Your point about privilege is absolutely right, no one is questioning that. What people are trying to get you to understand is that privilege was not the primary factor in BL not being arrested. It was based off actual, factual legal statutes.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Hmm recovery team. He meant divers.

When the story first broke, it made me think about the Scott Peterson case many years back and how they looked for anchors he might have made to sink Laci. Shortly after when Brian went 'missing' I thought to myself, what if Brian tried to do the same thing to himself while on the run. It was a weird random thought and this just reminded me of it.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Hmm recovery team. He meant divers.

Interesting. I assume it means they've found something of note worth diving for. I'll have no empathy for him if he's down there, but not the outcome I wanted because we're likely never to get the full truth of what happened to Gabby. May not have anyway, but at least there would have been a chance in a potential plea deal or something.

P.S. The thought of them diving in alligator infested waters just gives me the chills.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Brian and his family are depraved, craven people. The only interest I have in the latter is in their ability to help determine where Brian is. Past that, I hope they see the inside of a cell for as long as possible. They all deserve nothing but contempt.
Seriously. That statement they put out about hoping Gabby would be reunited with her parents gets more and more revolting as time goes on.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've definitely missed something, but why are they focusing so hard on this park? If it's just on the word of people he's there and not visual evidence I feel like it's just giving him more time to get away if he's not actually there.
His family said that's where he went hiking, so I get that they would search it, but they should realize he wasn't "hiking" and is probably long gone if he's alive.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think realistically he may have gone to Mexico or something by now, but I could be wrong.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Not sure if these are specifically FBI recovery divers, but reading about some of their jobs in the past (i.e. the divers that recovered Samantha Koenig's remains)... just a brutal, emotionally traumatic job all around. Certainly takes a special kind of resolve.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So they're reporting (WFLA) that they're not sure if the divers are there currently for an 'active' situation or just there 'in case' they're needed.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if these are specifically FBI recovery divers, but reading about some of their jobs in the past (i.e. the divers that recovered Samantha Koenig's remains)... just a brutal, emotionally traumatic job all around. Certainly takes a special kind of resolve.
I knew a guy that took recovery diving contracts a few times because it's crazy money.
He had to stop those after a few because it's way too traumatic. Human that have been in water for a while become something that your mind can't handle.

He said that grabbing a corpse has the same feeling as grabbing a wet towel.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I knew a guy that took recovery diving contracts a few times because it's crazy money.
He had to stop those after a few because it's way too traumatic. Human that have been in water for a while become something that your mind can't handle.

He said that grabbing a corpse has the same feeling as grabbing a wet towel.

you warned me not to read it and I clicked it anyway oh god that's an awful mental image

especially since I have SPD so my brain processes sensation - and even the imagination of sensation - way worse than most people. Why did I do that to myself.

Oct 25, 2017
Also straight up. Even if Brian's parents knew nothing. Their attitude and indifference towards Gabby's family shows they aren't good people. They've earned the scorn they've received

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
EDIT LAWYER RESONDS: Claims he did not create or edit the yelp page.
Just when you thought things couldn't get more gross by the Laundrie attorney.

WFLA stream went down for me on youtube, but their webpage is working
www.wfla.com

Dive team joins search for person of interest in Gabby Petito’s death, Brian Laundrie

Search crews are set to head back to the Carlton Reserve in Venice to look for Brian Laundrie. He is the only person of interest in the death of Gabby Petito.

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

www.wfla.com

Dive team joins search for person of interest in Gabby Petito’s death, Brian Laundrie

Search crews are set to head back to the Carlton Reserve in Venice to look for Brian Laundrie. He is the only person of interest in the death of Gabby Petito.

Wow. Looks like it's gone now as far as I can tell. Unreal...

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
Oct 30, 2017

www.wfla.com

Fucking clown.

Remember this attorney is a family friend who has never dealt with a homicide case. He's a fucking ambulance chaser

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure you can add pictures in reviews and they'll show up for the business, so that makes sense.

Wouldn't be surprising if people did that; probably even meant as a bad thing for him, to show that he's that lawyer, y'know. But obviously not thinking about how it may impact the family.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I think the boyfriend killed himself. Unless he went all Eric Rudolph then someone would have recognized him by now.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
So he's saying he didn't create that page and that the public did? I mean, when I first looked at the Yelp page it certainly seemed quite basic with only 2 pictures of Brian.

edit: also it shows 'unclaimed' so maybe it never really was his page?
The picture is gone now but on one of the replies to the tweet someone said it was added by "Casey C." and looking at the Brian picture it was added by "Hannah L." so yeah it looks like they were added by the public and not him. Especially with the Brian picture review saying this:

9/20/2021
Terrible lawyer, definitely sketchy and not qualified to handle murder cases or deal with potential murderers

Just members of the public not thinking about how the pictures would impact on the family of Gabby when they posted them but thinking they're helping by review bombing him.