• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Cinematech when xir ?

788883f4efa0f1460beeb5dbf5f3b0db.gif
Lmao. Doubtful and they probably get the interns to do it. Psyched to see ovilee get a role
Though

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest hesitation is that a lot of the edgier shit that used to pass for comedy at X-Play is pretty closely aligned with the shitty gamer persona that we have all become acquainted with. X-Play (Attack of the Show) played a part in establishing that gamer identity. They need to act as a firm refutation of that now. I'm not convinced they are up to the task.

This is all still really weird to me.

What is Olivia Munn up to?

She is around. She pops up in movies and TV shows regularly enough. She isn't an A-tier celebrity, but she is probably still too big for an X-Play revival.

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Two rather horrible behaving white men continue to fail upwards, and I say that as someone who used to love both shows.

Neither of them should be involved.

Nov 2, 2019
Meh. Attack of the Show was just a shell of a replacement of The Screen Savers.

I also feel like X-Play is totally irrelevant now in the day of Twitch streaming and YouTube reviews/gameplay clips.

Isn't this going to be a TV channel? If so I give this venture less than a year before Comcast pulls the plug and replaces it with Cops and Cheaters episodes.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Probably the Sessler part of the announcement. A lot of people are pretty rightfully pissed that Sessler was so incredibly shitty about using the correct pronouns. Transphobia doesn't fly these days.
Yeah its about that. I mean I don't underestimate gamers' ability to not care about that stuff, but it's hard to ignore when respected people in games media publicly dragged him directly. Like G4 is going to relaunch and there's going to be a pretty good chance those same people start tweeting about the time he got super transphobic and then blocked all of his colleagues for calling him out.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Yeah its about that. I mean I don't underestimate gamers' ability to not care about that stuff, but it's hard to ignore when respected people in games media publicly dragged him directly. Like G4 is going to relaunch and there's going to be a pretty good chance those same people start tweeting about the time he got super transphobic and then blocked all of his colleagues for calling him out.

I mean it should be pretty clear they don't care considering they brought back Chris Hardwick too.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, you can leave those old ass shows with the fossil hosts in the past where they belong. Sessler showed his ass and Pereira has been problematic. Dude was so jealous Oliva Munn broke out.

I mean it should be pretty clear they don't care considering they brought back Chris Hardwick too.

Chris Hardwick stuff is different as there were problems with that whole thing. No one came out good from that.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who hardly watched G4 outside of a few videos that gained more notoriety, is there any particular host or series of videos that you'd recommend?

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely have a lot of nostalgia for G4.

No brainer that they'd bring back AOTS and X-play. As towards the end of the original run it was pretty much those shows and cops on all the time.

But man looking back. I loved that show portal. Very interesting concept for a show. Cheat was decent. But I really loved Cinematech. They showed game trailers and cutscenes from games for 30 minutes. Got introduced to games I would have never heard about. Icons was legit too. Hope they do something like that as well.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I loved G4, it very much was a time and place kind of thing. I wish them luck though.
But I really loved Cinematech. They showed game trailers and cutscenes from games for 30 minutes. Got introduced to games I would have never heard about. Icons was legit too. Hope they do something like that as well.
Cinematech to this day still helps calm my nerves lol

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
meh, call me when they have Tommy Tallarico on to analyze foot step sounds.

Is this the third or fourth G4 comeback?

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching Code Monkeys on Peacock a while ago and I'm curious in seeing a follow up one day, though that's wishful thinking.

Could take place post-NES era, maybe the mid 90s.

I do have low expectations about G4's revival, though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
In short, he had another one of his meltdowns and made transphobic remarks. Got called out on it by multiple people, including many in the industry. AFAIK he never apologized to the person he attacked or in general.
Geez, Louise. I always felt Sessler was kind of a tosser, but I never heard about this.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Thanksgiving episode was such a nostalgic trip. Not sure I'll watch the revival shows religiously but I'll see what they'll do in their first episodes.

Weird for Adam to come back to host x-play. I guess he'll have a lot of say in the production of the show now.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
Every time people bring up those Sessler tweet receipts I read them and feel like I'm missing something. I trust there's more context given how the Waypoint folks are reacting, but it feels like I don't have all the puzzle pieces.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
But man looking back. I loved that show portal. Very interesting concept for a show. Cheat was decent. But I really loved Cinematech. They showed game trailers and cutscenes from games for 30 minutes. Got introduced to games I would have never heard about. Icons was legit too. Hope they do something like that as well.
warms the heart it does.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes what a great pair. This G4 relaunch has the stench of a group of 50 something Dads trying to get their high-school band back together one last time. I'm sure the whole thing will go swimmingly.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Every time people bring up those Sessler tweet receipts I read them and feel like I'm missing something. I trust there's more context given how the Waypoint folks are reacting, but it feels like I don't have all the puzzle pieces.
What could be missing? It's pretty cut and dry.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
What could be missing? It's pretty cut and dry.
Well one tweet he seems to be calling out a man who he believes is downplaying misogyny, and then someone else steps in and cautions him about linking chromosomes and gender. Totally fair comment, although it almost reads at first glance like something a douchey alt right type would say i.e. "ArE yOu AsSumING my GeNder?" He then says something linking that person to Reddit. I don't think of Reddit as a bastion of progressive gender politics, so it seems like Adam doesn't even understand who he's talking to.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Don't feel the same way about these two as I did when G4 first shutdown and I'm just cautiously optimistic about what G4 will even be now.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Surprised Olivia Munn or Jessica Chobot weren't wanting to be there?? I'd prefer Morgan Webb but I don't think she'll come back.

RetroGameGuy

Jun 11, 2020
I give this news a 3................outta 5. Actually, very exciting! Hope they bring back Cinematech. Not the stupid Nocturnal Emissions BS though.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I don't think this is what really anyone wants. G4 had its time in the sun, let it go. I mean all of Sessler recent videos on the YouTube channel have felt so antiquated, like a character he portrayed on Xplay trying to understand the modern internet. His dreadful mic didn't help either.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
After going back and watching a bunch of X-Play episodes lately (to the extent that they're out there - which is really not nearly enough) I've realized that I still really enjoy that show particularly as a time capsule and a way to be reminded of games I either totally forgot about or never knew existed - but also that even despite my affection for that era of video game coverage it's also something that should be left in the past, and also I'm not sure I ever particularly liked Sessler there to begin with even all the way back then.

What I wanted was really just a proper modern archive of old X-Play episodes. I don't think the world needs an actual reboot, to be honest. Especially with Morgan seemingly not being involved because she carried that show a lot more than I realized.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Well one tweet he seems to be calling out a man who he believes is downplaying misogyny, and then someone else steps in and cautions him about linking chromosomes and gender. Totally fair comment, although it almost reads at first glance like something a douchey alt right type would say i.e. "ArE yOu AsSumING my GeNder?" He then says something linking that person to Reddit. I don't think of Reddit as a bastion of progressive gender politics, so it seems like Adam doesn't even understand who he's talking to.

What you're describing is him calling a trans woman a Redditor because she called him on being cissexist. He then kept going off about this, and did other things such as liking transphobic tweets as the other tweets posted here documented.