• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, social media and gaming are growing, but G4 is not the only game in town anymore. They're a senior citizen entering a rave filled with a cast of colorful characters and everyone already has a dance partner. When it was on when I was a teenager, it was really the only consistent way for me to get gaming news and see things like E3, but that time is long, long gone and G4 doesn't carry enough nostalgia to instantly have an audience that would make it sustainable. I fail to see how G4 is going to pick up any traction this time. It's destined to fail.
Maybe I'm an old man here but after basically suffering through YTers video game channels I'm out here clamouring for well produced content.

If the relaunch does somehow end up being a success, I'd like to see them pick up Victor Lucas again. Dude clearly has heart, but unless I'm missing something I don't know how he's feeding himself with the amount of views his videos get. And on the topic of G4 nostalgia, this was a couple weeks ago:

He had a successful TV show for 20 years. Im sure Vic is financially set. He's doing this out of passion and I know he'd die for a chance to be back in a produced setting.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
If the relaunch does somehow end up being a success, I'd like to see them pick up Victor Lucas again. Dude clearly has heart, but unless I'm missing something I don't know how he's feeding himself with the amount of views his videos get. And on the topic of G4 nostalgia, this was a couple weeks ago:

Yeah I would love to set Victor in this

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Ok I got a really good laugh at Austin's "Your face didn't look like mine, but Olivia, step in the right direction!"

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone looking for Sarah Lane these days, she's with Daily Tech News Show along with folks from various other past tech focused channels (Tech TV, CNET, TWiT, etc). They stream live weekdays at twitch.tv/gooddayinternet

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Oh man. That line about how they emboldened "those who were disenfranchised and bullied to become the bullies that they are now on the web" was soooooooo on the nose.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watching it right now. Weird to see the crew so many years later.

I had little idea of who Ron Funches was before this. Instantly recognized the voice as King Shark, but don't know him from a lot of live action stuff. Felt a bit awkward having some guy talking up G4 (a very obscure network) until he namedropes EGM, and then it was like "yeah, dude is definitely a gamer".

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I had little idea of who Ron Funches was before this. Instantly recognized the voice as King Shark, but don't know him from a lot of live action stuff. Felt a bit awkward having some guy talking up G4 (a very obscure network) until he namedropes EGM, and then it was like "yeah, dude is definitely a gamer".
He is a common guess at giant bomb too. It's honestly where I first ever heard about him.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm very excited to see what they come up with with the relaunch. I kind of miss it. Only real You Tube and gaming people I really enjoy today are Easy Allies.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, social media and gaming are growing, but G4 is not the only game in town anymore. They're a senior citizen entering a rave filled with a cast of colorful characters and everyone already has a dance partner. When it was on when I was a teenager, it was really the only consistent way for me to get gaming news and see things like E3, but that time is long, long gone and G4 doesn't carry enough nostalgia to instantly have an audience that would make it sustainable. I fail to see how G4 is going to pick up any traction this time. It's destined to fail.

Eh, depends.
They just have to tailor the content correctly and the market it there.
Until the last few years X-Play for example was the preeminent video game reviews for the mainstream audiences for example.

You get X-Play back up and running,
You go hard on E3, Comic-Con, etc coverage
Partner with Twitch if possible.
Go hard covering gaming tournaments and leagues.

Take an old show like Arena,
get some of the most well known teams in Esports, have them compete in completely random games.
hell take something like a Ranbow 6 Esports team and make them compete against teams that aren't professionals
"can this amateur clan defeat Faze's Call of Duty team in ....... Rocket League," "...Socom 2" "GoldenEye 64"

Try not to compete against the competition directly but work with it to try to be a centralized hub for all of this.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I'm shocked at how well this worked out. It's like they haven't missed a beat. Actually got me excited for the future of the channel.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I think the new g4 will focus heavily on esports and streamers with a little bit of the old stuff sprinkled in. Keep in mind this is being financed by the Comcast esports guy.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hardwick aside, this was an absolute fantastic joy to watch, wow. The fact that Olivia Munn said she would be happy hosting Attack of the Show everyday for the rest of her life is insane, but not surprising considering she's one of the creatives behind the relaunch.

The wink to the real life controversy between Munn and Pereira with the fake Borscht controversy was also very funny.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

He's a great writer, that's where I knew of him.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I was surprised at how well done this was. They really tapped into the old sense of humor of the network in a successful way.

Aug 9, 2018
The wink to the real life controversy between Munn and Pereira with the fake Borscht controversy was also very funny.
I enjoyed that too. And then when Sessler says "actually it was me that pushed you." had me thinking he had something to do with her leaving. it was such a long time ago i don't remember the details.

And no sara underwood cameo?!

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
I used to watch AOTS and X Play everyday after school when I was in middle school and seeing everyone back together hits my nostalgia so hard. I hope this relaunch is successful.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know what the relaunch will consist of? I'm assuming it's the YouTube channel, but XPlay, AOTS, etc are returning?

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
For someone like Adam to come back for a reunion and backing up in goodwill about the G4 revival is crazy, knowing how he hates the behind the scenes people and figure heads that was running old G4 back in the day and how badly he was treated as well.

It seems that this group of people who are running this revival is someone that Adam really trust and are probably in good hands.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If anything i hope that a revival will have them dump the entire G4 catalog onto Xfinity or whatever service they are going on so i can watch old stuff. And not shitty quality youtube recordings.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Wish there was more actual discussion instead of bits, but I guess I'm just old now... everyone looks so tired lol.

Last edited:

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Their website mentions digital online content first, but being owned by Cable, they will still have a cable channel too?

Interesting.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
Hard pass with those names involved (except Funches, he seems cool).

Also funny how you can tell who read the OP and who went straight to making a post.
Somehow, sadly, I get the impression that some of the "yay cool!" responses are in spite of the revelations of foul crap said and carried out by most of the hosts. I think that's one of the reasons these 'hosts' are still about; the cheering and adulation drowns out the voices of the victims and oppressed.

Ah well, it is what it is.