• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
with G-Sync enabled I was wondering about the 'Power Management Mode' setting in the Nvidia Control Panel...what is the best setting- Optimal Power, Adaptive or Prefer Maximum Performance?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prefer Maximum Performance.
Doesn't it force the GPU and VRAM to stay at their maximum frequency ?
If you don't want to heat up your room with your PC when you're only browsing or on the desktop there's no point in using this setting.
The default one is fine, it manages well the frequency depending on the load.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Are there 1440p gsync 120hz+ proper hdr screens yet? Can seem to find ones with everything except proper hdr support 1000 nits+

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
If I cap the framerate to 140~ on a 144hz what is the benefit of turning vsync on?

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't it force the GPU and VRAM to stay at their maximum frequency ?
If you don't want to heat up your room with your PC when you're only browsing or on the desktop there's no point in using this setting.
The default one is fine, it manages well the frequency depending on the load.

This is largely unnecessary in most games, unless you are using a GPU that is several generations old at this point.
And NVIDIA sets the profile to maximum performance for games where it is necessary.

And here I've been using this setting forever based on other's recommendations. Thanks!

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Are there 1440p gsync 120hz+ proper hdr screens yet? Can seem to find ones with everything except proper hdr support 1000 nits+
Sadly, nothing of this sort exists yet. Once the 4K 144hz HDR displays are out, that's the closest that will exist. 1000 nits is really really rare. I can only think of two monitors on the consumer market that can do it at all.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
This is largely unnecessary in most games, unless you are using a GPU that is several generations old at this point.
And NVIDIA sets the profile to maximum performance for games where it is necessary.

My problem is I get stutters (probably 1803 G-sync problems) and at the back of my mind, I can't handle the Power setting being a possible factor. So I leave it on Prefer Max just in case.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
My problem is I get stutters (probably 1803 G-sync problems) and at the back of my mind, I can't handle the Power setting being a possible factor. So I leave it on Prefer Max just in case.
Old GPUs really only had three power states that they would change between; high/medium/low power. And they were slow to change state - you would get a stutter if a game was generally non-demanding and running in the medium power state, then switched to the high power state for a more demanding scene (lots of alpha effects etc).
The 900/1000 series GPUs (and possibly 700 series too?) adjust clockspeed dynamically rather than switching between discrete power states, and don't stall or cause stutters when doing so.
If you have a game where the GPU load varies significantly enough, it's possible that you may get stutters in games, but this is generally rare and unlikely to happen if the framerate is unlocked as is typical with G-Sync.
Forcing the GPU into its highest power state at all times will guarantee the absolute best performance, but as I said, it's generally unnecessary now and is just wasting power.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Forcing the GPU into its highest power state at all times will guarantee the absolute best performance, but as I said, it's generally unnecessary now and is just wasting power.

but in terms of power usage even setting it to 'Max Performance' is not going to add up to much in terms of real world actual electricity usage every month/year is it?

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, nothing of this sort exists yet. Once the 4K 144hz HDR displays are out, that's the closest that will exist. 1000 nits is really really rare. I can only think of two monitors on the consumer market that can do it at all.
Are there any that even produce a decent hdr {~500+nits} image yet or are we still a few years away?

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor...what frame rates are G-Sync active?...30-144?...so if my frame rate goes under 30 G-Sync automatically turns itself off?...why can't G-Sync work under 30 fps?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor...what frame rates are G-Sync active?...30-144?...so if my frame rate goes under 30 G-Sync automatically turns itself off?...why can't G-Sync work under 30 fps?
GSync works from 1 to 144 on 144 Hz screens, it's not limited by the panel like Freesync.

It uses a trick to counter panel limitations, for example if your panel can't go under 40 Hz and the game outputs 39 FPS, the GSync module will double the refresh rate (78 Hz) and double the frames instantly, thus it's still smoothed by GSync.
In some games (mostly during loadings with low framerates) you can see how not so often the mouse cursor moves when it reaches low framerates.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
GSync works from 1 to 144 on 144 Hz screens, it's not limited by the panel like Freesync.

It uses a trick to counter panel limitations, for example if your panel can't go under 40 Hz and the game outputs 39 FPS, the GSync module will double the refresh rate (78 Hz) and double the frames instantly, thus it's still smoothed by GSync.
In some games (mostly during loadings with low framerates) you can see how not so often the mouse cursor moves when it reaches low framerates.

thanks for the info!

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Anyone else have the issue with their Gsync monitor where sometimes when turning on, or when a program launches and the screen refreshes, a slice of the center of the screen appears on the right hand side?

Simply turning the screen off and on again fixes it, but it's super annoying and it looks like it's a common issue with Gsync screens and possibly Windows 10.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-glitch-on-side-of-screen-with-gsync-monitor/

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else have the issue with their Gsync monitor where sometimes when turning on, or when a program launches and the screen refreshes, a slice of the center of the screen appears on the right hand side?

Simply turning the screen off and on again fixes it, but it's super annoying and it looks like it's a common issue with Gsync screens and possibly Windows 10.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-glitch-on-side-of-screen-with-gsync-monitor/

Yup, common issue with the Acer/Asus Gsync monitors. Some people have sent in theirs for a firmware fix, but it's nowhere near common or serious enough for me to warrant that. As you said, just turning the monitor off and on again fixes it, as does alt tabbing out/into the game if you're running full screen for example.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yup, common issue with the Acer/Asus Gsync monitors. Some people have sent in theirs for a firmware fix, but it's nowhere near common or serious enough for me to warrant that. As you said, just turning the monitor off and on again fixes it, as does alt tabbing out/into the game if you're running full screen for example.

It looks like Dells you can update the firmware yourself with a USB cable, so I might try that.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
In the properties of the exe make sure the 'disable fullscreen optimizations' is unchecked.
UPoMVAn.png

I haven't been able to find a compatibility list so I'm not sure how many games actually support it but games that do alt tab very quickly out of fullscreen.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm getting screen tearing in videos on my PG279Q: in VLC and Twitch fullscreen.

Any advice?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty sad that they really aren't that many new G-Sync monitors now a days. As in, there are maybe a few new ones each year at best. The best 1440p monitors are at least a year or two old now and it doesn't look like there will be new versions of them on the horizon. Unless I really haven't been paying attention that well?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy with mine, but I think some of the newer options support 120Hz natively, which I would have preferred.
I'm not sure if those are still using an LG IPS panel or have switched to AUO AHVA (IPS-type).
Aye been reading up on it, but not sure if it's worth upgrading from my 1080p 144hz gsync screen, may wait for cheaper 4k hdr gsync ones

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the cheapest 1440p 120Hz (or above) way to get a Gsync monitor? All I find are so absurdly expensive. There's gotta be a cheaper way. Whats the cheapest one rn?

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Is this Dell 24" monitor worth it for the money? I see it's 350 on newegg right now. My bday is coming up and I'll probably get some cash that I'll put towards it. I have a 1070 so I was just hoping the 1440p wouldn't be too much for it but I guess I could just bump the games down to 1080 if needed. I was thinking of just going 1080 again but I want crisper text for desktop usage.

I've been wanting a g-sync monitor for a while. I really still don't believe the difference it makes but the hype really makes me want to try it out. I have a cheap acer monitor right now.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Is this Dell 24" monitor worth it for the money? I see it's 350 on newegg right now. My bday is coming up and I'll probably get some cash that I'll put towards it. I have a 1070 so I was just hoping the 1440p wouldn't be too much for it but I guess I could just bump the games down to 1080 if needed. I was thinking of just going 1080 again but I want crisper text for desktop usage.

I've been wanting a g-sync monitor for a while. I really still don't believe the difference it makes but the hype really makes me want to try it out. I have a cheap acer monitor right now.

I had the monitor (have since upgraded to an ultrawide). I think it was really good for the price. It's a TN panel so the color accuracy isn't great like an IPS but besides that I had no complaints.

It also has ULMB so be sure to play with that.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a second monitor, is it as simple as plugging in the 2nd monitor to get it to work?

Will it fuck on with my G-Sync monitor? How do I make sure games launch mainly on the G-Sync monitor?

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I had the monitor (have since upgraded to an ultrawide). I think it was really good for the price. It's a TN panel so the color accuracy isn't great like an IPS but besides that I had no complaints.

It also has ULMB so be sure to play with that.

I ended up ordering it. I figured it'd be a huge upgrade from the one I have now anyway. There shouldn't be any issue if I run a non gsync monitor alongside the regular one right? As long as the game is running on the gsync obviously.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Idk where else to ask but that I'm getting is a 1440p. I know 1440 is more taxing on the gpu but do you need the same AA as a 1080p image since it's a higher res?

I can't wait to try g sync though. I'm playing rise of the tomb raider and that geothermal valley is wrecking my frame rate. It was a pretty smooth 60 FPS for pretty much the whole game before that. I'm hoping the g-sync will make the drops more manageable.

Nov 1, 2017

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
Can anyone explain the difference between 1080p and 1440p for 24" monitors? Does 1080p look worse on a monitor with a native resolution of 1440p? If so, why?

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I've noticed zero difference with this new driver. I feel like that note in the driver documentation has just lingered there since they "fixed" windowed G-sync with that recent hotfix driver.

This is the first "full" driver release with that fix in it - previously it was just in a hotfix, so it's absolutely going to be in the notes.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here ever run into the flickering backlight issue with their gsync monitor? I have an Acer Z35 that seems to go nuts when games run at lower frame rates (75 and below). Seems to be a fairly common issue. Only thing that seems to work is to disable G-Sync.